main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Light the Night for the Cure

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by VoxDeamonicus, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    Light The Night Walk is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's evening walk and fundraising event. It is the nation's night to pay tribute and bring hope to thousands of people battling blood cancers and to commemorate loved ones lost.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) funds lifesaving research that has contributed to major advances in the treatment of blood cancers and treatments for other types of cancer, such as chemotherapy and stem cell transplants. New targeted therapies that kill cancer cells without harming normal tissue are providing drugs and procedures that are improving quality of life.

In fact, in 2009 alone, LLS researchers were conducting more than 90 clinical trials, a critical step in the development of new treatments and cures that will help patients live better, longer lives.

This year, I, Vox, will be entering a team. I am a survior of luekemia, twice. I am puting together a team here in Louisville, KY. If you live in the area, and wan to help, pm me. I am asking for donations. Please follow the links below to donate or for more information. Thank you

http://pages.lightthenight.org/ky/Louisvil10/DarkEmpireStarWarsFans

http://www.lightthenight.org/ky/

http://www.leukemia.org/

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Donation made to get you started. I'm sure the LGA will be out there with you in force to support you.

3. DarthZannah

DarthZannah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2008
    Vox, you know Appo and I are already there. [face_batting]

4. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Thank you Mika for the donation. And yes, I know appo and you will be there, Zannah. Thank you for the help. Anyone else who would like to walk with us, pm me or see me monday. Just know that my team is Dark Empire, and you will have to dress accordingly.

I've been asked to do this every year for more then a decade. Why now? Because, I've finally starting to come to a place where I can handle being around others who have or have had to deal with cancer. I'm finally starting to come to a place where I can handle helping others. So, thank you for those who help.

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Thank you for letting us be a part of this.

"Dark Empire" team costume hmm? Does it have to be a Sith or can it be any "bad guy" i.e. Stormtrooper, etc.

6. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    any dark force user. Dark Jedi, Sith, Jedi Assissian. and such. if you would like to walk and help raise money, let me know, I'll get you or anyone else the needed info.

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Cool. Too early for me to commit right now but it's at the top of my agenda.

8. DarthZannah

Nov 30, 2008
    Also gang, any of the Fan groups can register to walk, Mando Mercs, 501st, Rebel Alliance, any of them. What a great showing that would make, with Star Wars in force showing up... I foresee some press coverage on that one. Mmmmm-Hmmmm. We'll see how it goes. We have a few months to get the word out. [face_batting] [face_dancing]

9. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    yep yep. and I know I keep saying this, and I will again, but thank you for any help yo can give, rather it is walking with us as part of the team, or spreading the word and getting people to donate, or just sending a dollar, thank you.

10. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    okay, going to contact LLS tomorrow. Going to double check on if we can go in costume. Also going to see about doing a traffic stop. You know, pick an intersection, walk up and down with buckets, make people give us change. Not sure about doing that in costume. Safety issues aside, it will be summer soon. I have no desire to cook myself slowly. Otherwise, keep trying to get people to donate. You can rob them if you want, just don't tell me about it. :)

11. DarthZannah

Nov 30, 2008
    I like the traffic circle idea.. If they say it [face_batting] is permissible, I'll join you there. I haven't had any luck what so ever in collecting any money. :(

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Found the Louisville Government regs for street solicitations (not THAT kind!)
    http://www.louisvilleky.gov/ipl/LNP/CharitableStreetSolicitation.htm

13. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010

Okay, just got off the phone with LLS. First off, they love the idea of us dressing up in costume for the event. At first, the lady, Jen, was just like yeah you can dress up, then I mentioned that we, the dark empire, protary Sith and dark jedis, which I had to explain what all that meant to her, but as soon as she realized that we do the bad guys, you could just hear the excitment in her voice. She was so super excited. Yes, the bad guys win again.
    Also, she gave me the info needed to set up change jars at businesses. I also have a set of dates that we need to choice from for a road block. here are those dates:

July 3
    Shelbyville & Hurstbourne, 3pm onward
    Westport & Hurstbourne, 3pm onward

July 10
    Hurstbourne & Taylorsville, 3pm onward

July 17
    Preston Hwy & Outer Loop, 3pm onward

August 14
    Hurstbourne & Taylorsville, 3pm onward
    Oxmoor Mall & Shelbyville Rd, 3pm onward

August 21
    Shelbyville & Hurstbourne, 3pm onward

September 4
    Oxmoor Mall & Shelbyville Rd, 3pm onward
    Bardstown & Hurstbourne, before 3pm or 3pm onward

September 18
    Oxmoor Mall & Shelbyville Rd, before 3pm or 3pm onward
    Westport & Hurstbourne, before 3pm or 3pm onward

October 2
    Shelbyville & Hurstbourne, before 3pm or 3pm onward
    Westport & Hurstbourne, before 3pm or 3pm onward

that is all for now. Zannah, please go to the team webpage and sign up to be a team member please!!!!!!!!!! let me know when you have done so. also, anyone else who wishes to be on the team must do so. thanks, that is all

14. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
  15. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Okay, just got off the phone with Jenn Pitts, the director. We are all set for doing the roadblock on the 18th of Sept. We need to be out there before 3. We are doing the roadblock from 3 till whenever we get tired. I need to know who will be there for certain. So, if you can do it, let me know. Hate to be pushy here, but we need people to help out with the roadblock, so if you say you can do it, then you need to be there.
    Also, for the walk itself on the 2nd of oct, Zannah, Bane, Becka and myself will be there, as we are registered. If you want to walk with us, let me know. You can register a the event, but you do have to be registered so that you can walk with the time. So, either we register you at the event, or you can go to our team page and register. We are down to the last month, so yeah, I'm going to start being more of an *******, and a little more demending. This event has personal meaning to me.
    I understand the slow donations. Been slow for me too. but we should do real well with the roadblock. Plus, I'm going to try to get with the boy scouts or girl scouts to see about doing a car wash or sell hot dogs at the groecry store or something.
    Again, I want to thank everyone for their help so far. Thank you

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Not sure on being able to work the road block...I'm waiting on a buddy to assist me on some handyman stuff around the house (He's the handy one-I'm not) and I'm waiting for him to nail down a weekend he can come over. In lieu of that I've made another small donation to the cause.

17. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    Thank you so very much Mika. [face_love] We're sitting a bit better than we were before Celebration on the donations. I've got four collection jars, that are filled to the top with silver. We've had freinds and family dropping money in them for a couple of months now. There should be at least a couple of hundred there. Vox has had some jars out himself, and Bane and I are making a nice personal donation. All of that, combined with the traffic circle collections, should build our donations up quite nicely. Won't be in the thousands, but every thing adds up, and we sure need that cure. Banes Mom died of cancer. Once you've lost someone to something like that, or just had to watch them suffer for the hope of beating it, it changes you. Again, thank you Mika. Thanks to everyone who can help. For "all" the many ways that people care.. thank you. [:D]

18. Cungr_Vanck

Cungr_Vanck Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2008
    My condolences to Lord Bane. I also lost my mother to cancer. Been 13 years now.

Vox, I have no idea what my schedule is right now so I cannot commit to anything. The job just threw me a curve ball...to put it mildly. But, if I can work things out, I will let you know. Course, would you allow some good guys at your roadblock?

19. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    good guys, bad guys, ugly guys, I don't care. As long as you're willing to stand in traffic asking for money, I don't get who you are. Plus, while it is mostly us Dark siders doing the walk, one or two good guys as prisoners would be good, I already asked Jenn Pitts about it, she was cool with the idea of us having a rebel or jedi scum prisoner.

Again though, Thanks for the help guys. having been diagonsed with cancer twice, and losing my grandmother to cancer, and knowing others who have been through it or lost loved ones, I just needed to do something. all part of the healing.

20. Jedimommy

Jedimommy Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    I understand the healing thing. I lost someone to mental illness, and just learned of a mental illness walk and wished I had learned of it sooner to walk, maybe next year. I thought even if it helps bring awareness it would be worth the effort.

I will see what I can do to be a part of the road block. If I don't get the guts to wear my costume, can I wear a Star Wars related T-shirt? If you insist I will wear the costume...

I know I at least want to make what donation I can.

21. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    wear a costume if you want, but you don't have too. A t-shirt is fine. Only those of us that are offical members of the dark empire have to wear our costumes, and that was on order of our C/O.

22. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    okay, so the road block is just two weeks away, on the 18th. It is at the intersection of Hurstbounre and Westport road. we need to be there before 3 pm. We start at 3 pm. Now, do we want to meet up somewhere and go there, or meet up there. There is a gas station, a chruch, and a small shopping plaza at the intersection. we can meet up at any of these locals, or somewhere else. If you take the gene synder to westport rd, just turn towards Tinsel Town cinemas, which would be west onto westport, I think. You can also just google directions for Westport Road Baptist Church 9705 Westport Road Louisville, KY 40241, because it is there at the intersection. Yeah, I know, I don't have good directions right now. It's an intersection, hard to get directions. Plus, it's been 6 or 7 years since I was last out that way. Just look up the church. Unless someone else has good directions there, or we think of somewhere else to meet up. So, let's hear the ideas, so that we are all on the same page. Again, offical TDE members, we have been asked to be in costume. Noc, I would suggest you forgo the make-up. We';; be out there for 3+ hours. Anyone else, wear something Star Wars. Thanks guys

23. LordZannah

LordZannah Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2010
    Well, like Nocturnus said on TDE.. we can meet up at the Kroger there. Easy to find. And I'll be in full Sith robes, minus the armor. :mad:

24. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    yeah, i like the krogers idea. let's meet there

25. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    Okay, so the roadblock was today. Zannah, bane, Dar, becka and myself went out and braved the traffic for an hour and collected money. I have not counted the coins yet, but we did get $190 in paper. Plus one watch battery and a coupon for $5 off a Shick hydro razor. Not sure what to do with it or the battery. Any takers? lol. video was shot by Cungr, and Dar took some pics. Thanks guys for coming out, see you all at the walk on Oct 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.