main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Light to Dark\Dark to Light - is TLJ a mirror of ESB?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Wildcatbarry, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    My point is this:

Empire started out on high notes on the bright white planet of Hoth. The Death Star has been destroyed by the hero Luke Skywalker, everything gives a positive tone. Then Empire ends on a darker note - Luke is injured, Han is frozen in carbonite and the revelation that the evil Darth Vader is Luke's father.

The Last Jedi could possibly be a reverse parallel\mirror of ESB. It could begin on a more somber note or darker tone. Han is dead. Kylo ren completely accepting the darkside. Kylo injured. Finn injured. Possibly a space battle in the blackness of outer space. Possibly Luke not wanting to come to the aid of the resistance nor train Rey. However, it may end on a brighter note: Canto Bight has white salt plains. Finn returns from his injuries. Luke trains Rey and returns to help the Resistance. Possibly drive back and cripple the FO?

ESB - Light to Dark
    TLJ - Dark to Light ?

(Mods, if this belongs in another thread that already exists please feel free to merge.)

Doom_Buggy, oncafar and Xael like this.
  2. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    - Cloud City was characterized by bright colors and modern-ish design.

- In the beginning of ESB, the Empire carried out a very successful surprise attack on the secret Rebel Base, forcing.the Rebels to evacuate, which they did, but just barely. Many tauntauns died.

- If Episode VIII ends on a high note...Rian Johnson will have done a lackluster job. Perhaps he failed to make some directorial saving throw of some sort (insert nerd-pushing-glasses-up-bridge-of-nose emoticon).

But whatevs--much of this is subjective and also dependent on however "beginning" or "end" or "light" or "dark" is defined.

Personally, I don't think the film's various motifs or structures will produce any obvious or noteworthy parallels, or collectively coalesce such that it's clear that there was any particular intention in terms of what you're suggesting.

SORRY BRO

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  3. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    By which I meant to convey: that's just how *I* feel personally. Someone way smarter than I is could come along and raspond to your's post and be with you a hunnerd persent.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Would be a pretty cool idea!! Even ROTS started more light, ended on a dark way.

Wildcatbarry and nightangel like this.
  5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    It would certainly seem so based on our info so far. I just wonder how it (and the rest of the ST - and the presumed SST...) will fit into SW Ring theory, one of my all time favorite examinations on the saga: http://www.starwarsringtheory.com

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's easy enough to squeeze anything into Ring theory. It's not like it was all that rigorous to begin with.

7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Reverse rehash!!!

Dra--- and Wildcatbarry like this.
  8. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004

I'm confused, I can't see how Empire starts on a high note?

To me, Empire starts out with the rebels on the run and hiding, Luke gets attacked and nearly killed by a great big wooly thing then survives frost bite, Han loses his space uber and then stuffs Luke inside it. Han watches his girlfriend tongue her brother and then tell him, she also fancies his pet.

Then Darth Tracks the rebels down rather quickly destroys the rebel base and then Hunts down Han Solo who at that point is flying the equivelent of Del Boy's Robin Reliant.

Luke crashes his ship in a swamp, Get's laughed at by a frog who then beats up R2,D2. Luke then fails to remove his ship from the swamp and then in a rage cut's his own head off.

Vader captures his daughters' boyfriend and freezes him as a result of his i'll intentions towards her. He then is pi**ed that Luke crashed his ship and subsequently chops of his arm as punishement, whilst reminding him "who's ya daddy"

Chewbacca steals the Falcon and Luke and Leia get far too touchy to see any more.

zam wesell2005 and Strongbow like this.
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Absolutely....

The opening crawl sets the tone straight away, the Rebels have been forced from Yavin IV and are surviving in an inhospitable world because it's the last place the Empire would look. Everything about Hoth says survival not a victorious Alliance, we know from the ending that the Rebel Fleet has been forced to farthest reaches away from the Empire, the Alliance won a battle but are losing the war.

TESB starts gloomy and progresses more darker as events spiral against the protagonists, we get brief moments of joy as Luke and Han are saved by Rogue 2, Luke finding Yoda and the Falcon's apparent escape to Cloud City. Take that into what is believed about TLJ and the similarities are clear, the Resistance is forced from it's hidden base and now has to survive on Crait, Rey goes through some 'dark' moments in her training and a group of the protagonists seem to fall into a trap on an opulent world (Canto Bight).

There are similarities that will happen such as our heroes riding a local beast, a character with questionable morals and a battle where speeders take on walkers.

10. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    choccy The Rebellion has A New Hope in Luke Skywalker. He's leading them.

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

The PT is about Jedi and war. The OT is about Jedi and war. The ST is about Jedi and war.

Ring "theory" is super easy when you're as general as possible.

"Someone dies. Someone dies again. Someone flies a ship, etc."

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  12. Diminished Comet

Diminished Comet Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 27, 2017
    There does seem to be a lot of correlation between ESB and TLJ

- Training the Force-sensitive hero (Yoda trains Luke / Luke trains Rey)
    - The teacher is intitially reluctant to train the student but eventually relents
    - Different arcs which have the Force-sensitive characters segregated into their own scenes, away from the non-Force sensitives who have their own story:
    Luke / Yoda / Darth Vader separate from Han / Leia
    Luke / Rey / Kylo seperate from Finn / Rose / Poe
    - The two story arcs come together at the end (Bespin confrontation / Battle of Crait)
    - Meeting a contact who looks to be playing both sides (DJ / Lando)
    - The rebels / resistance on the defensive from the start going from base to base
    - ATAT walker battle scenes

MS1 and Wildcatbarry like this.
  13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    How about Dark to Dark starts Dark & ends Dark.....

14. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    This would give us options.

15. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Those are similarities, not correlations.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  16. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Those salt plains are on the planet Crait.

Canto Bight is the capital city of a planet called Cantonica.

thejeditraitor and Gigoran Monk like this.
  17. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Yep my bad.

Crait is white.

Canto Bight is our Bespin Cloud City in TLJ.

Rogue Seven likes this.