main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Light vs. Drak

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Obi-Wan_Toddi, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    The results of Sith actions were always negative! That's what the Sith were onto! :p

2. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    Not that I think its going to resolve anything, but this book
    http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/news20070308.html
    due out later in the year should make interesting reading :)

3. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    The reality is that there is only the Force. It is above such petty concepts as positive and negative, black and white, good and evil.

4. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    (fascinated by the fact that there is no 'Gray Jedi' or Dark Jedi or . . .the gray side of the force. . . talk)

5. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    hmmmm... an interesting point but none more true than Quin's.

No matter whether it's the darkside, the lightside, or just in between, it is the force. And the strongest will always be those who take a hold of it as a whole. not a portion of it, or a view of it, just the force in all it's glory.

6. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    DV your wisdom is years ahead of your age in this matter.

He who accepts the force as a whole will in the end be the strongest, it's our own morality that dictates what we use that power for

7. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    Morality! A good point! [face_mischief]

8. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    but your view of morality is just that. A VIEW. there are many more, not just yours. The difference is, we see each view, you see only your own.

9. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Do you see his view then DV?

10. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    Toddi's?

Yes, i understand his view. I was tought it for a certain amount of time.

The same as all jedi, that the darkside is bad. rules, rules, rules and more rules. Haven't you noticed Sabre? almost anything that is fun ( and you know you do most of them) is either against the jedi code or will "lead to the darkside".

11. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    On the contrary, those things done in moderation, where you stay in control of yourself and the situation, are unlikely to have the undesirable outcome of the person turning to the drakside.

From what you continue to say, and from what I've seen, Draksiders have no boundaries, following the saying that you can never have too much of a good thing. But that in itself is selfishness, as it doesnt involve thinking about anyone else but yourself.

And if you think Toddi's view is just about rules, then obviously you didnt quite catch the meaning of it all when you were still a lightsider. ;)

12. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    Actually Sabre brings up a good point about boundaries.

Nick Gillard, the creator of the duelling styles explained that the reason that by the end of ROTS, Anakin and Obi-Wan were bascially equal in who had the stronger of the styles.

He says that one of the reasons that Anakin lost his battle with Obi-Wan was due to him not staying within the boundaries of controlled aggression which were a part of his fighting style. He said that due to the fact that Anakin had turned to the drakside, he lost control of his aggression and this became his weakness. For this weakness, he paid the ultimate price.

13. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    Toddi brings up a good point. I've done a few martial arts and read up a lot on related topics. Losing control of aggression in a fight is a bad thing - if your opponent is good, they can use it against you. Then again, it didn't hurt Luke in ROTJ...until he gave up ;)

14. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    There is a difference between losing control and using your anger. Sith do not go out into a fight and just start yelling and swinging at any old thing. they use anger to put power into their strikes, they use emotion to fuel their anger and they use their opponent's emotions against them.

There would be a difference between if i was to swing wildly and uncontrollably at anything without thinking what so ever (losing control) and me using my anger to swing faster, strike harder and fight smarter (using emotion/anger)

15. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    The point was not about the difference between losing control and using anger. The point was that the loss of control of his aggression lead to Anakin's (Vader's) defeat. This didn't happen while he was a Jedi.

Any attempt by Vader to use Obi-Wan's emotions against him failed miserably ... both times.

16. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    Actually in terms of anger and aggression your wrong and right

When fighting with a sword, allowing your emotion's to creep in does give you power, but it also makes your reckless.

The trick is to be balanced, Iaido teaches that to obtain mastery of the sword, you must be at one with your body / spirit. Only together can you strike cleanly.

the Sith try to anger there opponent's, forcing them to make a mistake.

Saying that the Sith also use anger as a tool.

the jedi believe that there is no emotion, and that works... in theory, a clear mind means there is no hesitation. problem is were human, quick to anger and even quicker to pass judgment and morality on others actions.

Once again it comes down to a 'certain point of view'

17. DarthVercetti

Oct 18, 2005
    Yet again, a point of view.

Everything revolves around point of view. The thing is you cannot depict which point of view is correct or 'better'. because even with soid evidence, most would not change their point of view.

18. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    I read this today in " Dark Lord: The rise of Darth Vader".. I thought it was interesting & sums up the Sith way of life very well. & I quote:

"Powered by treachery, the Sith Master-Apprentice relationship was always a dangerous game.Trust was encouraged even while being sabotaged; loyalty was demanded even while betrayal was prized; suspicion was nourished even while honesty was praised.

In some sense it was survival of the fittest. Fundemental to Vader's growth was the desire to overthrow his master. Had Vader killed Obi Wan on Mustafar, he might have attempted to kill Sidious, as well. In fact , Sidious would have been surprised if Anakin hadn't made an attempt. "

I think I'll take the Master- Padawan relationship thanks ;)

19. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    So long as you're the master or apprentice ?

Jacen Solo is becoming likeable.....

20. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    :eek: Likeable !!

He tried to KILL his parents cause he thought they tried to assassinate Tenal Ka...He was wrong !! They didn't..can you over reaction ?o_O

21. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    A wise old Jedi called Obi-wan once said "you must do what you feel is right".

Jacen did what he thought was right...

Gotta follow your gut instinct, right ?

Its about time Han & Leia died anyway.... getting too long in the tooth..
    Out with the old, in with the new....

22. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    Blasphemy!

23. Darth_Hunky

Darth_Hunky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Master e-i makes a valid point.

Whether it be Jedi or Sith, the old must make way for the new, it is the way of life, the universe and the Force.

The Master-Padawan relationaship is an interesting one and can go either way. Look at the Yoda-Dooku-QuiGonn-ObiWan-Anakin chain.

The Sith way at least calls it for what it is.

Obi-Wan, I feel is somewhat naieve to call Anakin 'brother' because it implies equity, even though, despite Anakin's power, Obi-Wan's control in both their face-offs, proves him his superior.

Just as Jacen sees himself as inherently superior because he makes decisions with cold logic instead of with passion.

Which in itself is inherently flawed. Just as Luke's responses as Jedi Master/Grand Master have been , at times, flawed (including his response in Sacrifice).

Light or Drak, we are all human.

24. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm not sure Luke's response in Sacrifice was flawed, I haven't read it yet, but from the spoilers I've read I think it was appropriate. I wait to read it :)

25. Sabre_11

Jun 1, 2005
    I-) I've never called my brother 'brother' with the implication of equity... I'm so much better than him :p

You forget his sentence afterward was 'I loved you'
    So rather than him implying equity, he implied seeing (and loving) him as a brother. And he would've done anything for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.