main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Lightforce

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Suzannah.Pearce, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Suzannah.Pearce

Suzannah.Pearce Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 22, 2016
    As always, thank you for your comments and reviews. I love reading them. For those interested in reading the story in its entirety, without waiting for my weekly posts, it can be found on Wattpad here http://my.w.tt/UiNb/RiSBmRSvlB

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 32

Han landed the Falcon gently in the mossy jungle clearing, using the same spot Luke and Chewbacca had found, as close to the hidden experimental base as possible. Powering the Falcon down, reducing the lighting so as not to draw any more attention, he pushed out of his seat and walked purposefully round the ship, grabbing a couple of blasters and clipping them into their holsters, checking that the replacement blaster power cells were safely tucked into their clips on his jacket breast where he liked to keep them, and picking up a cluster of explosive charges on a long belt holder. He did all this without pausing. He had promised Leia that they would come back for the children. They were the reason she had done all this in the first place and it was important to her. Not that his conscience wouldn't have compelled him to come back anyway, but a promise was a promise and he wanted to do this for her.

He hit the hatch switch and lowered the ramp, drawing one of his blasters before he exited, checking the vicinity for trouble. He hoped that, after the earlier chaos, there wouldn't be too many guards to deal with. Chewbacca followed, bowcaster drawn and levelled at the undergrowth.

They made their way down to the cave, searching round for signs of life. Han checked the few bodies of stormtroopers on the ground for signs of life. They were all victims of Chewbacca's bow and there was no sign of any that Luke had just rendered unconscious. Blaster trained ahead of him, Han did a sweep of the cave. He had expected some of the children he released earlier to be evident but they were nowhere to be seen.

They made their way into the base through the now gaping hole that had been the hatchway, opening each door or looking through windows, systematically, as they went through each corridor.

Something catching his attention, he held a hand up to stop Chewbacca, listening intently. He thought he could hear the faint sound of crying coming from up ahead. The doors in this corridor were all open and he checked each room was empty as he passed until he looked round the door of one to find a huddle of children. They cowered at the sight of him, blaster in hand. He holstered it quickly.

It's OK. We're here to help.” He held an empty hand up to reassure them. Meeting eyes with a lad he assumed was the eldest of the group, he decided to give him the job of leader. “Can you get these kids back up to the cave?” he asked. The lad nodded. “Do that and wait for us. We're going to take you out of here.” The boy ushered the children out of the room, encouraging the ones who were the most upset.

Han and Chewbacca continued deeper into the base, reaching the corridor where the conditioning had been taking place. Looking through the first window, Han could see children still in front of screens, as Leia had described. He found the control to open the door and entered the room, sweeping his blaster muzzle round quickly, looking for any straggling guards. There were none. He motioned to Chewbacca to find the controls for the vid-screens and, making their way round the room until they reached a console at the front, they found the screen flickering, showing what was being fed through the headsets. He stopped to watch for a while, curious as to what was being shown to them. He needed to gather as much information as he could before he left here to provide to Leia and the New Republic. It looked like a fast playing propaganda news report, images of Alliance battles interspersed with symbols signifying death and pain. The images had been doctored to show Alliance troops carrying out mass shootings of civilians, including children. It wasn't an unusual form of conditioning or even a very original one but Han found the images disturbing anyway, and he knew they weren't real. He didn't want to imagine what damage they were doing to the children. His anger rising, he slammed his hand down on a button he assumed would cut the feed to the vid-screens. Lights switched off in front of the children and, slowly, one by one, they began to become focussed on their surroundings, looking dazed and bewildered.

While Chewbacca watched the door, Han went round the room, detaching wires and headsets from the children, ripping some of them out of their consoles, talking gently to them as he did so. They were naturally nervous of him as he moved round them and he made every effort not to let his disgust at the situation make his body language intimidating. When he had released them all from their electronic prisons, he gathered them all together.

Listen. I haven't got time to explain now but what's been done to you here is wrong. We are here to take you back to your homes.” He looked round at the huddle, the expectant, frightened faces. Some children cuddled others, some looked towards the ominous woolly figure of Chewbacca. “Don't worry about him.” Han gestured in Chewbacca's direction. “He's a friend. I want you to make your way back up to the cave. You'll find some other kids there. Wait with them while we help the others and we will take you out of here.” The children made their way out of the room and up the corridor, following his instructions. They were too scared not to, he imagined, in too much of a state of suggestion that they would probably follow anyone's instruction at this point.

They released other children from electro-shock machines, the ones he had spotted earlier. Thankfully there were only three in this room and the machines had lost power so the kids were just sitting in situ, waiting for rescue. He sympathised with their tired faces. He had felt like he'd been dropped from a great height onto a hard surface when it happened to him and he was a large, strong man. These were frail, mostly starving children. He felt a bit queasy thinking about it.

His last stop was the room just before the one they had been held in. This one held their transport travelling companions. As he released the electronic lock and slid the door open, the faces of at least one child lit up and that child ran straight to him for a hug.

Jak?” he asked the little girl. She looked up at him and nodded. He had hoped he had recognised the right child. He had no experience with children and felt a bit awkward with them. He patted her back. Giving these kids the same instruction, he and Chewbacca searched round the rest of the corridors for stragglers.

Want to do something really satisfying Chewie?” Han's eyes widened with enthusiasm as they reached the end of their search and began to return to the surface. Chewbacca growled an enquiry. Han removed the explosives belt and held it up. “I want to blow this place to hell.” he said with conviction. Chewbacca agreed. “If we place these carefully, we can hit the first one with a good shot and set off a chain reaction. That way we can get the kids out of danger first.” He passed Chewbacca the belt. He knew what he had in mind and was certain it would work.

They strategically placed the explosives en route back to the cave, gathering the group of some forty children on the way through. Chewbacca led the way up the rocks to the Falcon, Han bringing up the rear with Jak, a little, vice-like fist clutching the side of his jacket. He looked down occasionally to check on the child, mildly embarrassed by the attention of the little attachment.

Filing them all onto the Falcon, he sat them on the floor in the central lounge area, stepping over them with his long stride and making his way to the cockpit with Chewbacca. What they were going to do with them all, he didn't know. He hadn't planned that far ahead. He just wanted to get them back to the castle and then he was sure Leia would come up with a sensible idea when she woke up. He just hoped he didn't have to look at her expectant, large eyes and tell her she couldn't adopt them. He sent a message to Luke to expect them and raised the Falcon gently off it's landing spot, manoeuvring it carefully over the trees and coming down low again in front of the cave. He couldn't come in too low because of the dense undergrowth but he had allowed for that in his placement of his last explosive charge. Dropping the Falcon's guns from it's underside, he fired, hitting the charge first time, and pulled the Falcon up and back out of range of the ensuing chain reaction. It happened just as he had hoped, in fact, better than he had hoped. Each charge setting off the next one. He could trace the line of the mini explosions by the disruption of the ground above from his cockpit view and the mouth of the cave itself disappeared in a pile of rubble, earth and foliage, a fitting grave for Leia's childhood friend. Good riddance to Imperial rubbish he thought to himself, turned the Falcon and headed for their temporary home.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 33

Han made his way straight to the makeshift med bay chamber where Leia was recovering. Chewbacca chose to remain on the Falcon, not fancying the trappings of the human beds in the castle.
    Maz has gone back to the cantina. Says she'll return in the morning to greet Commander Blake who is en route.” Luke reported when Han joined him on the chamber balcony. Han was looking exhausted, he noticed. It had been an eventful week all in all and he hadn't done much other than rush from one crisis to another. “How are you doing?” he asked him, concerned. Han sighed.
    I'll be OK, kid. Just want this all to be over. I've managed to find all those kids a bed. We'll figure out what to do with them later, I guess.” his mood was low.
    I'm sure we will but I'm more concerned about you.” Luke brought him back on topic, looking inquisitively into his friend's face. Han leaned on the stone balustrade of the balcony and looked out over the courtyard and the Falcon parked below. He twisted his mouth crookedly in thought. He had never been one to dwell on what was bothering him, or one to feel comfortable talking to anyone about worries but Luke was a good friend and, even though he was so much younger, he had a wisdom, like his sister, beyond his years. He had acted like Luke's big brother in the past and now, it seemed natural to tell Luke his concerns in return.
    I let her down.” he said frankly. “Back there, in the base.”
    Why do you think that?” Luke enquired gently.
    I didn't protect her. Left her to the mercy of those...” he couldn't find a suitable word for the odd coupling of Alderaanian chimeras and imperial mercenaries. “I left her to them on Bespin too.” He ran his hand over his face as if to clear the frustration.
    Han, you couldn't do anything else. Leia's been battling this sort of thing long before she met you. She's clever. She will have made what she felt was the best choice.”
    She saved my life. Again.” Han observed.
    You've saved her life a few times too.” Luke reminded him.
    Have I?” Han couldn't see past the last two failures.
    You saved her on Hoth” Luke encouraged. Leia would probably have stayed in the command centre until she was buried alive in the snow had Han not come back and insisted she leave with him. “You stopped her assassination and got her off Chandrila” Luke continued “You protected her on Endor.” Han looked sideways at him
    She got shot and nearly ended up a permanent tree dweller.” he reminded Luke.
    That last one was her fault.” Luke insisted, calmly. “Without you, Yavin would have probably been destroyed like Alderaan with her on it and, if you really press her, she'd have to give you the Death Star rescue too.” Han smiled a little at this. It was a running battle between the two of them as to who saved who in that escapade. Luke smiled too, knowing what Han was thinking. “We've all saved each other at one time or another in the last four years and it probably won't stop any time soon. Just remember it's not always your responsibility. We can't always be there for each other. Besides, if it hadn't been for your love for her, I might not have been able to save her today.” Han thought for a moment.
    I still think she's notched up more saves than me.” Han pinched his lips together.
    Well don't let her know that.” Luke teased. “She'll rib you about it for ever.” They both laughed and Luke saw Han relax his shoulders. “Get some sleep, Han. We've an early start to Chandrila in the morning.” He put a reassuring hand on Han's upper arm.
    I'm going to stay here for a bit but, yeah. I'll rest.” he agreed. Luke smiled and left him to his thoughts.
    Han watched lights blinking softly on the side of the Falcon for a few more moments then went inside. Leia looked peaceful but white as a sheet. He propped a pillow up slightly on the head of the bed and lay beside her on top of the covers, his legs crossed at the ankles, his arm over the back of her pillow and resting on her shoulder. He stroked her hair gently with his other hand, resolving to sit with her a while then go and get some sleep but his body had other ideas and he was asleep where he sat before he knew it.

#

The shimmering, pitted bulk of the Vohemar dropped Eldon Blake at the location of Maz's castle bar, where she had been provided with transport to the mountain retreat. She had found Maz to be very accommodating and highly organised, a trait her disciplined military personality appreciated, although she had been unable to stop staring at the strange little figure for some time after meeting her. Luke had given her a description of Maz before she got there so she could seek her out upon arrival but she hadn't been ready for the experience. She had a feeling that, despite her size, Maz was someone not to be trifled with. Much like her current employer now she thought about it.

She looked up from the courtyard as she was led toward the steps of the castle entrance, marvelling at the patterns of the hanging vegetation and the supporting curved balconies which gave the building an oddly organic look. The Millennium Falcon had left early that morning, taking Luke and Han to Chandrila, the Commander had kept her informed of their itinerary and had given her instructions to carry out while they were gone. She hefted her heavy hold-all further onto her shoulders as she followed a Twi'lek girl inside and through the winding, wide corridors. She took in the yellow hue of the huge stones that made up the castle structure, the tapestries and paintings tastefully hanging on some of the walls. She had never been anywhere like this before, being used to a more utilitarian military environment. While some had been housed in old structures, abandoned by the previous inhabitants of remote planets, none had been quite like this.

The Twi'lek girl paused outside a doorway and stood aside, motioning her to enter. Thanking her, she stepped across the threshold into the stone chamber. The aesthetics were a strange mix of ancient and technological with heavy wooden, ornately carved furniture melding with the contemporary medical equipment. A large stone archway led out onto a balcony overlooking the courtyard and, while the archway was open to the elements the room was kept at a pleasing temperature by a fire in the large fireplace. She drew a deep breath as she saw the princess laid out in the high bed on the far side of the room, wires and tubes attached for life support. The medical droid hovered about, sorting equipment and monitoring read-outs.

She dumped her bag just inside the doorway and went to the side of the bed to make an assessment. When Luke had explained what had happened to the princess, she hadn't expected her to be in such a fragile state, a shell of the person she was used to seeing throw her large personality around the base. Her brow furrowed but only marginally. Luke had requested, on the princess's behalf, that she take charge and that's what she would do.

May I see the read-outs please.” She more instructed than asked the medical droid, holding out her hand for the necessary data pad. The droid handed over the required information and turned back to sorting. She studied the medical data, life signs, temperature readings all constantly updating on the screen. All seemed fine. She handed the pad back to the droid. Spotting the bacta pads on Leia's arm and wrists, she lifted the edge of the one on her arm to examine the wound, exposing the chemical burn which was starting to show the effects of the healing patch. She replaced it securely. There didn't seem to be any other damage. Luke had explained about the Force sleep he had induced to help Leia's mental recovery and, looking at her now, she certainly seemed to be sleeping deeply. Blake made a quiet laughing snort to herself. Luke had said three days but if she knew her employer at all, and she was confident that even after just a few months, she did, it would be less. She would get her bag to her room, report her arrival to Luke and Han and start her work before the princess woke up and required her assistance.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the familiar sound of whirring droid parts.
    Oh, Commander Blake. I have been expecting you.” C3PO greeted. “Commander Skywalker and General Solo instructed me to give you every assistance. I am at your service.” Blake found 3PO mildly amusing. She half expected him to bow as he said this. She had never come across a droid quite like 3PO, his personality almost human. The princess certainly trusted him and treated him like just another employee, accepting his foibles like she would any member of her personnel, sharing a discreet smirk with her behind General Solo's back when 3PO got under his skin and the General treated him like an annoying rash that wouldn't go away.
    Thank you, 3PO.” she acknowledged “Come with me. We have a lot to get done. First we need to clear the princess's Senate reports, her things need to be brought up here and organised for her recovery, I understand we have forty guests to make comfortable and then” she paused to let all this sink in “you can help me co-ordinate some troop movements.” 3PO's expressionless face managed surprise.
    Troop movements? Me?” His computer generated voice sounded slightly higher pitched to Blake. She raised both ash blonde eyebrows as she grabbed her bag.
    Yes, 3PO. You.” she smiled.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 34

As Blake had predicted, Leia was awake by the end of the second day and 3PO fetched her to her bedside. She asked about Han and Luke.

General Solo had an errand to run and Commander Skywalker accompanied him. They are expected back tomorrow,” she reported. “You were supposed to sleep a little longer,” Blake chastised her.

I've been asleep long enough,” Leia dismissed. “I need to get up.” She had already persuaded the medical droid to remove all the wires and tubes before Blake had arrived and was now attempting, although struggling, to get out of bed.

Just take it easy,” Blake held her palm up to stop her. “You're still weak.” Leia sighed with frustration. She sat on the edge of the bed, screwing the covers up into little balls under her fists. She was not used to being incapacitated and really disliked the feeling. Blake understood how she must be feeling. Sitting still was not a natural state for Leia. She looked up at Blake.

Please help me, Blake. I can't sit here any more. There is work to do and I need to sort myself out. I must look awful.” She ran her hand over her hair which was a much messier version of the hairstyle she had put it in three days ago. Everything started to flood back into her head. “What about the children? We have to help them.” Blake looked at her a moment then passed her a robe, beckoning her with a finger and holding out a hand to assist her off the bed.

Leia was curious. Wrapping the robe tightly round herself she gripped Blake's arm and slid off the bed, feeling the weakness in her legs. They made their way down the corridor to a large room full of furniture where food had been laid out on a long table at the far end. Her face lit up. All the children were relaxing in various parts of the room, playing with toys, looking at data pads, talking to each other. They had all been provided with baths and clean clothes. Leia looked at Blake, silently asking for all the details.

General Solo went back for them the night you arrived here,” Blake explained. Leia smiled, looking back at the children, leaning her hand on the stone wall next to her for support. Of course he had. “Some of them were in quite a bad state. We have put them on a programme of re-conditioning therapy but most weren't captive long enough for any lasting damage. A few will be returning to Thyfeera, where they were taken from, later tomorrow when the transport arrives,” Blake continued.

We?” Leia asked.

Well, 3PO and me,” Blake elaborated. “We've been co-ordinating with General Solo and Commander Skywalker on a number of things.” Leia smirked.

Good old 3PO.”

He's been invaluable. I think he's really enjoyed himself over the last twenty-four hours.”

Leia listened, happily imagining 3PO bustling about assisting Blake. She met eyes with one of the children and recognition dawned on her at the same time as it did in the little girl, who ran across the room and up the steps to greet her.

Jak?” Leia asked, taking the little girl's face in her hands and turning it to look at her. “My goodness, you look wonderful.” The little girl was extremely pretty underneath all that dirt and grime. Her blonde hair had been washed and brushed and her health looked better for a good meal. Leia went down the steps and sat down on the floor next to a group of children. Blake watched her chatting to them, letting them show her some of the activities that had been provided to keep them occupied. She smiled to herself. It would do Leia good to see her efforts had not been totally in vain.

Leia glanced at the fresh table of food on the far side of the room. It did not appear to have been touched, which struck her as odd as the children were mostly underfed. Turning to a young lad sitting next to her she enquired,

Have you all eaten something today?” The lad nodded.

They gave us food earlier but everyone's afraid to touch that,” he looked at the table.

Why?” Leia asked, surprised.

One of the other lads said a princess owns this castle and she'd be angry if we took her food.” Leia's eyebrows raised and her jaw dropped slightly.

Really?” She thought of the retribution they would have got from the stall owners if they were caught stealing and imagined that the older boy had thought retribution would be worse from this apparent princess, who she could only imagine was herself. The older ones had learned the hard way and were trying to protect the younger ones as best they could. She smiled a little to herself at the imaginative minds of children. She leant forward to the little group surrounding her and whispered conspiratorially.

Well, I know for a fact that the princess doesn't own this castle or anything in it. However, I think she would be quite happy for you to eat whatever you liked. I imagine it has been put there just for you.” The group looked at each other, still unsure but more hopeful that they would be allowed to touch it. She saw they still needed encouragement.

Jak, why don't you and I go and get some food and then perhaps the others will see that it's alright.” Jak's little face grinned and she took her hand. They went to the table, Leia helping Jak fill a plate with whatever caught her eye. Others watched and then began to do the same. Glancing back at Blake, they exchanged smiles as 3PO appeared in the doorway beside her. He saw Leia.

Princess Leia.” He raised his voice delightedly and waved his golden arms enthusiastically. “How wonderful to see you up and about.” Leia winced. Cover blown she thought. Jak's jaw dropped as did the lad who had told her the story. She put her finger to her lips and smiled at them, ruffling Jak's hair.

Help yourself to whatever you like,” she reassured them and made her way back up the steps.

Hello 3PO. I understand you've been working very hard.”

Oh yes, Your Highness. Commander Blake has given me some very important tasks to perform. I am, of course, highly versed in senatorial business and also military protocol so am the perfect choice to assist in such tasks.” Leia rolled her eyes.

Of course you are 3PO. You can tell me all about it later.” She held on to Blake's forearm, feeling suddenly dizzy. Perhaps the short walk along the corridor was enough for the moment.

There's lots to tell you. Let's get you comfortable and then I'll fill you in on what we've been doing.” Blake escorted her back to her bedroom. At the door, Leia looked wearily at the chamber.

Do me another favour, would you, Blake?”

Certainly ma'am.”

Get this medical equipment out of here can you? The sight of it is enough to make anyone feel worse. I will manage with a medkit and some tea from now on.”

Yes, ma'am.”

And Eldon?”

Yes, ma'am.”

Stop calling me ma'am. I feel like a dowager queen. I have a name and I'd really like it if you would use it.” Eldon smiled.

Yes Leia.” Leia smiled to herself.

Much better,” she said over her shoulder as she went into the refresher for a long awaited hot shower.

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ack, I've fallen behind again! Fanfic awards work has been dominating my boards life these days (and congratulations on your nominations, by the way @};- ), but I'll do my best to catch up again soon. Thanks for being so patient. :)

Suzannah.Pearce likes this.
  6. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    I was delighted to be nominated, and in four categories no less. So excited.

Findswoman , Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 35

The princess woke up earlier this afternoon.” Blake continued to fill Han in on the day's events, positioning the data pad on the table in front of her so that the holo-vid image remained stable. She had already covered the updates on the tasks Luke had assigned to her and now addressed the matter Han was most concerned about. On the Falcon, Luke rolled his eyes.

I might have known she wouldn't stay asleep as long as I expected.”

Han tutted.

I was hoping to be back before she woke up. How is she?” he asked.

She's weak but she's been walking about. She saw the children earlier and she's eaten a little and she's now working,” Blake elaborated.

Working?” Han exclaimed.

Don't worry. She's just sitting on the bed reviewing data reports.” Now Han rolled his eyes. At least it was not something too strenuous.

How did your meeting go with Mon Mothma?” she enquired. Luke had told her the reason for Han's visit to Chandrila and she was eager to hear all about it. Luke's face replaced Han's on the holo-vid, an excited look on his face.

You would have loved to have been there.” He sounded like an excited little boy. “Han waited till the Senate was in session and most of the senators were present before marching in there and giving them all a piece of his mind. I've never seen a room of politicians so speechless. Leia would have been livid if she'd known he was going to do it.” Han must have shoved him out of the way because the picture broke up a bit and Han's face replaced Luke's.

Yeah, well. Enough of that. Can I talk to Leia?” Blake smiled. She wished she had been a fly on the wall. Han Solo was no politician. He told it like it was with no fluff, managing to make the most astute observations and voice them without any filter. Leia often covered her eyes and shook her head if he spoke up in her meetings but Blake knew she really appreciated his plain speaking when they were together. She would have to hear more about it when they got back tomorrow. She stood up and walked Han's holo-image along the corridor to Leia's room where she was sitting, cross-legged on the bed, data pad on the bedspread, her loose hair pulled round over one shoulder.

She looked up as Blake entered.

Call for you,” she said, passing her the second data pad. Leia looked pleased.

Hey you,” she said when she saw Han's face.

Hey yourself,” he replied. “What are you doing awake? You were supposed to rest for at least another day. I was hoping to be back before you woke up.” Leia smiled warmly.

I'm sorry. Where did you go?” Han waved a dismissive hand at the holo-screen and sat back in his chair.

Had to take care of some business. I'll tell you about it when I get back.” Leia knew he was avoiding the question. His cocky, offhand manner tried to cover it up but she saw the signs. He was up to something and she would have to get it out of Blake instead. She just nodded suspiciously.

Alright then. I have a lot to take care of while I'm waiting anyway.”

Now, don't start working too hard,” he leaned forward again, his face stern.

You know me. I'll only do what I can,” she reassured.

I do know you,” he raised his eyebrows. “That's why I know you will do too much.” Leia looked sheepish. She suddenly really missed him.

You better come back and distract me from it then,” she said coyly.

Han's jaunty grin broadened at her suggestiveness and he leant right in close to the holo-screen. Jerking his thumb over his shoulder he said,

You know your brother's sitting right here don't you?” Her eyes widened and she giggled.

Oh, I'm sorry, Luke.” Luke's hand appeared in front of Han's face with a thumbs up.

That's alright,” his voice said in the background. Han looked back at her. Even on the holo-screen she looked unwell, although she was trying to put a brave face on it. She twisted a lock of her long hair round her finger.

We'll continue this conversation later,” he assured her, smiling lovingly. “Oh, by the way. I'm bringing something to cheer you up,” he said more brightly.

What is it?” she enquired, intrigued. He widened his eyes.

You'll just have to wait and see,” he grinned. “I'll be home soon.” Leia sighed, reaching her hand forward as if to touch his holo-generated face. It was the first time he had said that and it sounded good.

Hurry,” she said gently. They signed off.

Leia put her elbows on her crossed legs and rested her head in her hands for a moment, organising her thoughts and making a mental list of things she wanted to get done. She took a deep breath to strengthen herself.

Blake?” she called. She knew Blake would be hovering just outside the door. Sure enough, she looked round the door and then came to stand just inside the chamber.

What is the latest report from the squad in Al-Adreen?” On Luke's instruction, Blake had been co-ordinating a scouting mission into Al-Adreen and the Adronian jungle, searching for the presence of Imperial and Alderaanian troops. 3PO was monitoring communications and relaying the information to Blake.

They are confident that Al-Adreen is clear but they are liaising with Maz Kanata's informants and think they have found traces on the far side of the jungle itself. They are investigating now.” Leia nodded.

I need to make some calls,” she said decisively. “Can you get hold of General Madine and I will need to speak to Admiral Ackbar on Chandrila as soon as possible but I need to be kept updated on the squads findings as soon as you have the information.” Blake nodded. “Can you also send 3PO in. I need him to do something for me” She swung her legs over the edge of the bed.

Should you be doing all this, Leia?” Blake asked, concerned by her sudden determination. Leia looked sideways at her.

Don't worry. I'm staying here. I just need to start planning and I need to get mobile or I'm going to go stir crazy.”

Shall I fetch you some tea?” Blake offered.

You don't need to wait on me, Blake. You are doing enough already. It will give me something to do. Just put those call requests in for me and that will be great. Thanks.” Blake made to leave.

Oh, by the way,” Leia added. Blake paused. “Do you have something to tell me about Han's trip to Chandrila?” Blake winced. How did Leia know? She turned back towards her, wishing she hadn't as the princess wore an expression that would get information out of a mute. Leia raised one eyebrow.

I know he was there. I saw his flight request when I checked my reports. You may as well tell me. I'll get the information from someone and I'd rather it was you.” That was probably true. It would not take her long to find out what happened if she checked the minutes of the senate meetings from yesterday. Blake was surprised she hadn't already done so.

Captain Solo felt that the Senate should know about what happened to you. He said they should take some responsibility for not listening to you when you asked them not to disband the Alliance so quickly. He told them the complacency you warned about allowed these experiments to go unnoticed and that they were all fools if they thought the galaxy was suddenly safe. He said all this in front of a full Senate meeting, unannounced. Apparently it was quite spectacular,” Blake grinned at this. Leia just stared at her.

Captain?” Blake's apparent mistake over Han's rank had not slipped her razor sharp notice. Blake realised her faux pas. She looked apologetic.

He was so angry, he resigned his commission. Said he didn't want to work for an organisation that took so little notice of its most experienced people. I don't know all the detail, I was waiting 'til they got back but I'm sure there'll be a vid record of it if you want to watch.” Leia covered her eyes.

She didn't want to watch that. She ran her hand down her face, making a little pained noise.

Why did I sleep so long? I could have stopped him.”

With all due respect, in the mood he was in, I doubt you could have stopped him. Besides, he was only voicing what we all think.” Blake looked full of admiration for Han's antics.

He's such a gundark,” Leia said affectionately. Even she had to smile a little. Then she looked at Blake, pointing a reproachful finger at her. “But don't any of you think of doing the same thing. You all have careers to worry about. Han is an entity all to himself.” He was not restricted by protocol like she was and he had no respect for the authority of bureaucrats other than how it affected Leia. She was pretty sure he only agreed to accompany her to some of her meetings simply for the caf and the snacks. “What's done is done.” She drew a line under it. Han's rebelliousness might just pale what she was about to do. “Let's get those call requests in.” She spurred Blake into action. “See if you can find out what landing space there is round here. I'm going to need it.”

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, when it comes to fighting for/protecting the people he loves, Han is a gundark. But a very lovable gundark.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, now I think I'm caught up! :D

32: Han's a real hero—as if we didn't know that before, but he really shows it here as he picks up where the first stage of the rescue left off. The image of all those children strapped to the screens was disturbing when we first encountered it, but hoo boy, it's even more so now that we know what they are seeing—doctored propaganda equating the Alliance with death and pain—I don't blame Han for reacting to it so strongly. And it's totally believable that kids who had just been through that kind of indoctrination would probably obey just about anyone—good thing it was someone benevolent this time! [face_relieved] It's wonderful to see Jak again, of course, and I love that she immediately recognizes Han and runs up to hug him. [face_love] And indeed, good riddance to this den of evil!

33: Wonderful conversation between Luke and Han here. That feeling of never being able to repay someone for what they've done for you is a difficult one, but Luke speaks wisely (as always): when it's among those you love, it's not a competition (unless, of course, you're Leia in a certain mood! :p ). Great to see Blake back again—I always liked her, and I have every confidence in her ability to keep things moving and in order even while Leia is incapacitated. With her gentle sense of humor I see why she's the perfect assistant and confidante for Leia. And this line is just perfect:

34: Such a relief to see Leia awake again—and of course it's no surprise to see her wanting to get right back up and at 'em! And even better—now I see what the "troop movement" was all about! :) Big kudos to both Blake and Threepio for getting everything set up for the kids (and I'm glad it turned out to be a task that Threepio felt well suited to perform). And yes, Jak, that's a real princess who organized all this and who is just fine with you eating as much food from that table as you like! (That whole scene reminds me of the time Princess Diana visited the children's ward in Cook County Hospital in Chicago back in 1996 or so—the kids there reacted much the same way to knowing they had just met a real princess.)

35: Oh, Han, tsk tsk tsk... well, we all knew he was pretty much fearless. His little... presentation to the senate must indeed have been spectacular; I would have loved to have been a fly on that particular wall, too. Though Leia's not wrong to feel concerned about possible damage done, either—this seems like the sort of thing that could certainly have implications later. [face_thinking] Whatever surprise Han is bringing back for Leia had better more than make up for this! :p

Good to be caught up again, and continuing to enjoy as usual. Congratulations again. =D=

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 36

The huge, arched stone window offered a panoramic view over the spectacular valley below the castle and acted as a dramatic frame for the two women standing in front of it as Han rounded the corner to the highest chamber of Maz's mountain retreat. He had made his way up from the courtyard before the others so that he could talk to Leia privately. He had to get some things off his chest and wanted to tell her about Chandrila personally.

He paused in the doorway and leant against the wall, watching her as she was concluding a discussion with the much taller figure of Eldon Blake over a datapad. She had abandoned the more utility garb she had favoured in recent months and returned to her traditional, Alderaanian simplicity of a white flowing dress and turquoise cloak, her hair loose but pulled back with a single braid and twisted metal hair piece. He smiled to himself. He had always admired how she made her modest way of dressing more regal and graceful than any of the flashy women they often socialised with on Chandrila.

Make sure everyone has a copy of this information and let me know when they are all here.” She handed Blake the data pad, clasping her hands in front of her and gazing out of the window at the view. Blake spotted Han in the doorway.

Captain,” she acknowledged. He straightened up.

Blake,” he nodded, coming down the steps towards them. Leia turned, her body relaxing and her face brightening.

I didn't see you there,” she said.

I'll leave you two alone,” Blake said and departed through an archway on the other side of the room.

Leia reached out her hand to take Han's as he approached. She wore twisted metal bracelets on each arm that matched her hairpiece. He took her hand.

Are these new?” he admired them.

Goodness no. When do I have time for shopping?” she laughed.

They look nice,” he flattered, pulling her closer. She looked a little drawn from her trauma but her eyes held their familiar vibrancy and fire. He took her face in his hands and kissed her so tenderly, she had to hold on tight to him to stop the overwhelming feelings weakening her legs more than they were already.

The touch of her lips encouraged all the emotions he had been trying to control, forcing him to hold her to him as tightly as he could without hurting her. He kissed most of her face, finally resting his cheek on hers.

I'm sorry,” he whispered in her ear. “I'm sorry I didn't protect you.” She pulled her head back to look at him, squeezing an arm free and reaching up to place her fingers on his lips.

You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm sorry I worried you. I never meant for you to witness something like that.” She could see the pain in his eyes.

Why did you do it? Why didn't you let him use that thing on me?” he implored.

Because it would have killed you. I knew I had a better chance of surviving it. I've had training and I've resisted it once before. I made a strategic decision.” Han frowned.

Strategy?” He exclaimed. Leia smiled sympathetically.

That and the fact that if you had died, it would have been more painful to me than anything the interrogator could have done.” Her eyes welled up. Han smiled thinly and pulled her into a hug again. He understood how that felt.

Don't ever do that again,” he said with quiet conviction. “You need to stop taking all the responsibility for people on yourself.”

I can't help that,” she said into his chest. “You need to understand that sometimes, it's my turn to save you.” She looked up into his face, smiling weakly. He breathed out heavily and mirrored it.

Leia pushed him away gently.

Now we've cleared the air. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on your trip to Chandrila, Captain Solo.” She had a wicked gleam in her eye.

A guilty smile spread across Han's face and he started a blustering laugh as he thought of a defence. He might have known she would rumble him before he had a chance to put a spin on it. “Don't bother,” she read his mind, slapping his chest to halt his excuses. “I can't leave you alone for five minutes without you doing something rash.”

To be honest, I've been thinking about it for a while, I just hadn't got around to it. Then the opportunity arose while I was putting them straight on a few other things and you know I like to go out in style.” He spread his arms cockily and sat on the back of a sofa behind him. Leia shook her head and grinned. Solo style she thought.

Well, thank you for standing up for me.”

Sweetheart, that goes without saying.”

What are you going to do now?” she enquired. He took both her hands.

I thought, as you agreed to make an honest man of me, I should live up to it - start my own cargo haulage business.” She looked pleasantly surprised.

Is that a fancy way of saying smuggling?” she teased. He put on a mock pained expression.

No. Strictly by the book.”

Leia laughed.

Well, good. I'm sure I can give you lots of contacts who could do with a service like that.”

I was hoping you would,” he smiled, examining her face. She was starting to look pale.

You Okay?” he asked, frowning.

A little dizzy actually,” she replied. She had been standing quite a while and was beginning to feel faint.

You need to sit down,” he noted, guiding her to a nearby sofa bench. Then he remembered something and held a finger up to her, his face animated.

I said I'd brought something to cheer you up. I almost forgot. Wait there.” He bounded back up the steps and out of sight, returning a few moments later with a familiar face. Leia's smile broadened.

Lando,” she enthused. Han's old friend's wide, charming smile spread across his face when he saw her. He looked her up and down with his usual suave style and came down the stairs to greet her, Han lounging on an opposite sofa. Lando took her hand and kissed it, as was his favourite thing to do, sucking air in through his teeth as he appraised her.

You look absolutely stunning, Leia,” he flattered. She knew she looked terrible, dark rings under her eyes and pasty skin from the toxins that were still in her system.

Lando, that's a lie but thank you for saying it,” she laughed. He flapped his cape out behind him and sat down next to her.

I couldn't lie to such a beautiful woman,” he grinned, looking round at the chamber and its decoration. “This is a fitting castle for you, incidentally.”

None of this is mine,” she corrected him. He smiled.

I know it's Maz's but, between you and me, she hasn't used it for years. You could live here and she wouldn't notice. It suits you better.” Leia laughed again.

It's too much for me, but thank you.” She leant forward and kissed his cheek, appreciating his flattery. “It's lovely to see you but you've come so far. Why are you here?” He held onto her hand.

This old pirate tells me you've agreed to marry him.” He pretended to look hurt but softened it with a smile. “I secretly hoped you would agree to marry me one day but, I know he has a strange sort of charm and I suppose someone had to fall for it eventually,” he teased, deliberately speaking to her as if Han was not there. Leia blushed.

Han rolled his eyes. This was the main reason he had brought Lando. He knew his friend's attentions towards Leia were really honourable and designed to annoy him but, even though Leia knew it too, Lando's flattery was giving her a boost. She was smiling and laughing brightly. If anyone could pick her up and make her feel well, it was Lando.

I don't suppose you would consider changing your mind?” Lando whispered close to her, loud enough for Han to hear, looking out of the corner of his eye to make sure Han was watching. Leia giggled, placing her other hand on top of Lando's.

I am sorry, Lando. A promise is a promise,” Leia went along with his subterfuge. He faked his disappointment.

I understand. Well then. If I can't change your mind I will have to give you the wedding present I brought for you.” She raised her eyebrows in surprise and glanced at Han. He smiled at her.

But we're not married yet. Perhaps you should wait.”

You look like you could do with a present now,” he insisted. “and personally, I don't think you should wait much longer to get married, in case you get yourself into more trouble. Plus I can't stay long and I expect to be invited.” He pulled a small decorative box out of his jacket pocket and presented it to her. She felt embarrassed. She was quite used to his flirtation but was not accustomed to being given gifts.

Open it. It won't bite,” he encouraged. She lifted the lid, gasping at what was inside.

Oh, it's beautiful.” It was a shimmering metal necklace with a turquoise stone in the middle which shone brightly as the light from the window hit it. It was the most delicate piece of jewellery she had ever seen.

Of course it's beautiful,” he maintained. “It's for the most beautiful woman in the galaxy. I had it made especially out of the blue quartzite ore from the mine. I hope you like it.” She had no idea that Lando's new mining operation could produce such amazing stones.

I love it,” she beamed, taking it out of the box and moving closer to him, turning and pulling her hair aside so that he could place it round her neck.

I'm glad you wore that cloak today because now it looks like it was always meant to be there,” he said as he did up the clasp. She turned back to face him, giving him a huge hug. “And that has made it all worthwhile,” he chuckled.

I'll share it with Han,” she joked.

Oh no, you keep it to yourself. I've given him a case of very expensive wine.” He leaned close to whisper. “I'll tell you where he's hidden it later and you can help yourself to that too.”

Thank you, Lando,” she said sincerely, touching the stone with her fingers. Han winked at her.

Senator,” Eldon Blake interrupted them. Not wishing to use an informal reference when they were in company, she picked a title she thought Leia would accept. Leia raised her head to acknowledge her. “Everyone's ready to discuss the assault plans.”

Thank you, Blake. I'll be there in a moment.” Back to work. She breathed deeply. Han scowled.

Wait a minute. What assault?” he quizzed both Leia and Blake.

Come to the meeting and I'll explain it to you,” Leia told him, holding out her hand to Blake so that she could help her up. She was trying to hide the shakes. Blake took her hand for support, offering her arm so that Leia could cross the room. Han jumped up to block her exit.

You are in no state to go assaulting anyone,” he insisted.

Leia gave him a look that warned she might assault him if he argued. He raised his hands up in complete resignation.

Alright. I know, I know. I can't stop you. This is what you do but I'm asking you, this time...” Leia let go of Blake's arm and stepped up to him, putting her hand over his mouth to shut him up, pointing over his shoulder and through the archway to the room beyond. He looked behind him. Gathered in the next room were General Madine, General Kobar together with 3PO and Chewbacca.

I brought back up,” she reassured him. He couldn't say anything. She smiled. “See. Sometimes I do listen to you.” Turning back to Lando she asked, “Would you like to join us? Extra combat experience would be helpful at this point.”

Wouldn't miss it,” he replied. She took Blake's arm and left through the archway to join the Generals.

Han blew air through his lips. Lando cackled. “I thought you said she was operating on half power.” Han rolled his eyes and Lando laughed harder. He slapped Han on the back. “She's exciting isn't she?”

Yeah, well. I've had ,nough excitement for one week.” he grumbled.

Are you boys going to join us or muck about in the corridors all night?” Leia's voice demanded from the other room. Lando was having fun at his friend's expense.

Stop laughing,” Han pointed a warning finger at him. “or you'll be hitching a lift on the first pirate ship back home.” He marched through the archway muttering under his breath.

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Still not caught up, but I wanted to say that I'm reading along and enjoying the story still. And congratulations on your nominations for the awards; this is a top-notch story and I'm really glad to see it getting on the list! :)

12. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016

Thank you for staying with me! I post every ten days or so with about 10 chapters to go so there's no rush to catch up. As long as you are enjoying it, that's the main thing. I am mostly finished my second SW story, set after this one and have notes on a third set before ESB so watch this space!

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  13. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 37

The smaller ante-room at the top of the castle had been chosen by Blake as a temporary command centre for its windowless, office-like qualities. Its book case lined walls offered a cosier atmosphere for a meeting room and the darkness, when they extinguished the lights, allowed for easy reading of the make-shift data console. She had gathered up all the data pads she could find, linking some of them together in a circuit so that, as each one displayed part of a holo-map, as a whole, they completed it. Another, larger data pad rested on the table with a holo-vid conference call to Admiral Ackbar ready to be initiated. Leia looked approvingly at the set up as she entered the room, admiring Blake's initiative.

Madine stepped forward to shake Leia's hand when he saw her.

Princess, it's good to see you up and about. Commander Blake told us of the terrible news when we arrived. I had no idea when you called us here, what had happened.” Leia dismissed his concern with a wave of her hand.

Thank you, but there's no need for your concern. We need to concentrate our thoughts on ending this activity as soon as possible.” She nodded an acknowledgement to General Kobar. “Thank you both for coming so quickly. She looked round the room at those present and frowned, turning to Han. “Where's Luke?”

I'm here,” Luke's voice sounded behind her as he came up the steps to the ante-room. “Sorry I'm late.” He nodded to everyone round the room and leant in to kiss Leia on the cheek. “Leia, may I speak to you before you start your meeting?”

Of course.”

I brought someone with me from Chandrila who is requesting a moment of your time and who I think you really need to speak to. May I bring them in?” She frowned curiously.

Yes, do,” she agreed. She had endless amounts of time for Luke and if he thought it was important, she trusted his judgement. Luke went back through the archway and ushered in his guest. Leia's expression changed from curiosity to one of reservation as Ambassador San'teefa walked sheepishly up the steps into the room. His hands clasped in front of him, he bowed deeply from the waist to Leia.

Your Highness.” He turned to the other members of the meeting. “Gentlemen,” and to Blake, “Commander.”

Leia threw Luke a dubious and slightly annoyed look. What was he thinking, bringing her most irritating government opponent here, and what reason could he possibly have for doing such a thing? She was just managing to hold herself together for a meeting, she was too weary for a political argument. Luke returned her look with one that told her to trust him and listen. Han watched their sibling facial exchange, trying to pick up clues as to what was going on. Luke had requested passage on the Falcon for his guest and Han had readily agreed, trusting Luke would have a reason but he wasn't overly fond of Neimoidians, distrusting their avaricious tendencies. Thankfully, the Ambassador had spent the whole trip in his bunk so Han had not had to make conversation. It was clear how Leia felt about their guest.

Ambassador San'teefa?” she greeted him stiffly. “This is a surprise. What brings you all the way to the Outer Rim?” she enquired.

Thank you for seeing me, Your Highness.” She nodded a little impatiently, wanting him to get on with it. “I felt I owed it to you to come here and see you in person.” Her curiosity peaked.

Oh?”

I listened to what General Solo... Captain Solo told the Senate committee and was most concerned to hear what had happened to you. Captain Solo's words were direct and made your position here perfectly clear. I felt some personal responsibility for removing the military resources that may have prevented this from happening.” Leia was surprised. She glanced at Han who was looking at the floor, slightly abashed.

Thank you, Ambassador,” Leia accepted his humility. She began to feel a little guilty that she had been irritated at his presence.

That's not all,” he continued. “Commander Skywalker brought to my attention that a tracking device placed aboard a slaver ship leaving Thyfeera, ended its destination on Cato Neimoidia.” Leia looked startled at Luke. He raised both eyebrows at her. “Of course, I immediately initiated an investigation and we believe we have found signs of similar activity to that which you are facing.” Leia began to feel like she had vertigo and gripped the side of the meeting table tightly with both hands. Han shot her a concerned frown but she reassured him with a discreet shake of her head. She had no time for weakness.

Do you think operations are still continuing there, Ambassador?” she questioned.

We believe so. We have no military presence to speak of and I would appreciate your assistance.” He paused, looking slightly uncomfortable. “I am afraid I am guilty of being blinkered by my desire to rebuild Cato Neimoidia to its former glory. I do indeed want to build our trade enterprises but the merest hint of slavery linked with us will destroy any chance I have of legitimate business.” His iris-less red eyes looked humbly at Leia. “I have made judgements of you based on very little knowledge. Your youth belies your experience and I should have paid more attention to what you were trying to tell us. Please accept my apologies.” He bowed again. Leia was almost speechless.

Ambassador, I think we have both been guilty of making rash judgements of each other. I have tainted my opinion of you based on the behaviour of your ancestors and for that, I apologise. Perhaps some good can come out of all this after all,” she smiled. “Of course, we'll do everything we can to help you.” She looked round the room. “Ambassador, have you ever attended a military operational meeting before?”

I'm afraid I know very little about military affairs,” he admitted.

Then this is a good place to start. Please stay and we will discuss your problem as well. It will be good for you to see what happens on the other side of things.” She took his elbow and guided him further into the room, making a space for him round the table. Luke smiled to himself as Leia caught his eye and winked. Who said he wasn't cut out for politics?

Down to business then,” she said decisively, bringing everyone's attention back to the subject of the meeting. “Blake, can you get Admiral Ackbar on the conference call please?” Leia looked round the room. Everyone had been given a data pad with a detailed report and they all studied their copies as she spoke. “As you are all aware, from the intelligence Blake has provided to you all, several covert operations have been discovered that are carrying out conditioning techniques on children in order to develop some kind of controllable army. While this is disturbing news, the reason for the conditioning and the people behind it are a longer term problem and I don't believe we can solve it immediately. Our priority must be to destroy the bases we have discovered so far, disrupting their operations and disbanding the Imperial presence in those areas, if that is what it is.” She called up the map of the Andronian jungle and surrounding area, the location of the base where she and Han had been held marked clearly in red on the green holo-display in the centre of the room. A further large mass of red was blinking on the map.

With assistance from Maz Kanata's informants, we have been able to trace the remaining enemy troops to this area, just the other side of the Adronian Jungle.” She pointed to the large red mass. “They are amassing quite a force here, too large to be just the personnel from their base. We believe they have gathered reinforcements and that, once they have enough force, they are planning to mount an attack; most likely on Al-Adreen.”

Why would they want to do that?” Han quizzed. The settlement had no military presence of its own that was a threat, just a small civilian space port, and he could see no benefit to them in doing so.

On Thyfeera, there were no real settlements in the area into which they had placed a presence. Al-Adreen not only hosted regular meetings for their slave trade but was also the site of the battle we were involved in, highlighting quite clearly the presence of Imperial stormtroopers if nothing else. They need to eliminate witnesses to cut their losses and prevent exposure of their whole operation and the only way of doing that is to eliminate Al-Adreen.”

Everyone looked grim. Han couldn't argue with Leia's strategic foresight. If the operation was more widespread, with a long term goal, it made sense not to risk the exposure of the whole thing over just one or two locations.

How many people are there in this settlement?” Lando brought it down to a human level. Leia looked serious.

As far as we can tell, approximately eight thousand. Give or take the regular comings and goings of fifty or so pirate ships at any one time.”

Could we evacuate them?” General Kobar enquired.

We could,” Leia had considered this already. “But there's no telling, with their natural suspicion that they would recognise our authority and agree to leave, we could just be wasting precious time attempting it. I think we need to stop the attack before it reaches them.”

So what do you have in mind?” Madine spoke up. Knowing her as he did, she would never have called the meeting in the first place if she had not already got a plan. Leia nodded to Blake who typed instructions into her data pad, bringing up blue blinking indicators on the larger map.

I propose taking in three platoons of ground troops. One just the other side of our enemy - here,” she pointed to the appropriate area on the map, “and two this side of the jungle, just outside Al-Adreen. We can drive them through the jungle towards the other two squads with the security forces picking up any stragglers from the edges. The clearing and a line of rocks between the jungle and Al-Adreen will make an ideal place to collect them for arrest and transport. The squads will be backed up by air support, helping to eliminate heavier artillery.”

Princess Leia, how do you imagine we will accomplish this when you are aware we are severely lacking in personnel at the moment? We can't risk another tragedy like the one on Thyfeera.” General Kobar voiced his concern. Leia acknowledged his worries.

We are not lacking personnel any longer, General. I have recalled three platoons from their escort missions plus all my squadrons of X-Wings. They should be here tomorrow.” Han raised both eyebrows in amazement, a crooked smile appearing on his lips. Leia had only been awake a day after a huge trauma and she had managed all this. “Admiral. Thank you for joining us.” Leia addressed the holo-vid on the accompanying data pad on which Admiral Ackbar's Mon Calamarian face had appeared. “What is your status?”

We should arrive at the agreed time tomorrow,” he replied, his voice distorted by the faint connection. “I should warn you that we have detected the presence of a star destroyer heading for Takodana space. I can only assume with tie-fighters on board. As you suspected, they mean to do a thorough job of destroying their evidence.”

That's why we recalled the X-Wings, Admiral,” Leia confirmed. She addressed the room again. “Admiral Ackbar has kindly agreed to assist us, providing the Home One war ship as base for the squadrons. I didn't think Maz would want us all parked in her front yard, putting off her customers. There is landing space in the next valley which should be secure for smaller troop transports. It looks like you might have to join the fight against the destroyer as well, Admiral. I hope you are ready for this.” She looked at him appreciatively.

General Solo, for all I disagree with his reckless regard for military or government protocol with his unceremonious resignation, made a valid point. I, for one, am fed up with the endless chatter about security. We need to get rid of these Imperial forces once and for all and we won't do that by sitting in meetings. If you say there's a problem, Leia, then there's a problem and we're here to help.” Leia shared a smile with Han and Luke. The Admiral was blustering and impatient with the rules of government and their time-wasting. He liked to run a tight fleet and his battle record was second to none.

'Thank you, Admiral,” she acknowledged. Madine looked concerned.

Leia, you're risking your own career recalling everyone like this. The New Republic won't like it.” He glanced at Ambassador San'teefa as if he represented the whole of the New Republic Senate at this meeting. Leia scoffed.

I am not interested in what the Senate think at this point. They should be quite used to me by now. Until they officially disband the Alliance, the personnel still take orders from me and I will recall them if I choose to do so. Besides...” she looked at Han. “Han may have coincidentally saved me that dressing down in the committee next month with his rampage through yesterday's meeting. They will be too embarrassed that they let something like this go undetected to bother taking it any further. I expect they'll sweep it under the carpet to save face.” Han grinned.

So I helped?” he asked cockily. She pointed a warning finger at him.

I said you may have helped. Don't take the credit just yet.” Han continued to grin to himself.

I can head up the squadrons if you like,” Luke volunteered.

Actually, Luke. I would prefer it if you lead the platoon nearest Al-Adreen. General Madine and General Kobar, the other two.” The generals nodded their agreement. “Admiral Ackbar will lead the air support. He might appreciate some help Lando if you are prepared to get stuck in but don't feel obliged.”

That's fine. I could do with some excitement,” Lando replied, looking at Han to see if he received his joke. Han rolled his eyes and looked back at Leia.

Great. I thought you were going to say you would be leading the X-Wings.” Han sounded relieved as he looked at her. She laughed.

I think we can all safely say, I won't be doing that any time soon. I do want to be there though and, although you have resigned and have no obligation to do so, I thought you and Chewie might agree to be my pilots.” Chewbacca agreed before Han could get a word out. Han threw an irritated look over his shoulder.

I was going to say yes,” he barked.

Good,” Leia sounded satisfied. “Blake and 3PO will co-ordinate from here,” she confirmed.

I really had no idea what was involved in the work you all do,” Ambassador San'teefa marvelled. “I didn't realise there was so much to consider. I certainly won't be making it any more difficult for you in future.”

I'm glad to hear that Ambassador,” Leia said gently, laying a hand on his elaborately robed forearm appreciatively. She needed all the friends she could get in the Senate. “I will arrange for the children we have rescued from Thyfeera to be transported back to their families once this is over, and the ones from Al-Adreen will be taken care of.”

Yeah, what do we intend to do with them all?” Han remembered the forty little faces in a room a couple of floors down.

3PO? How did you get on with the task I gave you?” Leia asked the droid who was strangely quiet at the back of the room. He looked excited to be asked.

Very well indeed, Your Highness.” She raised a hand to halt his anticipated verbal diarrhoea, feeling too sick to be patient with him today.

Just tell me how much you managed to raise.”

Two hundred and thirty seven thousand credits,” he announced proudly. “I have had it transferred to your personal funds on Chandrila.” Leia looked pleasantly surprised.

Thank you, 3PO. That's more than I expected. You've done well.” 3PO puffed up at the back of the room. Leia turned to the others. “So, it seems we have enough funds to be able to provide those children with no families some sort of care and a roof over their heads,” she answered Han's enquiry. She made to continue with other matters,

Wait a minute.” Han held up his hand to keep the attention on the current subject. “Two hundred and thirty seven thousand credits is a whole lot of money,” he said earnestly. “Where did you get it so quickly?” Leia tried to brush it off.

I used some resources. It really isn't important.” Han raised his eyebrows. She was trying to avoid his question and that made him more curious. Everyone looked between the two of them.

It's important,” he insisted. “3PO, how did you raise the money?” 3PO looked flustered, confused as to whether he should answer.

Han, just leave it,” Leia ordered. He held a finger up to her, continuing to look at 3PO. He was the only one in the room who would have dared that move.

3PO? Tell me now, where the money came from.” 3PO looked panicked, glancing quickly from Han to Leia and back again. He took orders from Leia but, if it was possible for a droid to feel intimidation, he was intimidated by Han. He looked at the princess for support. She gestured wearily for him to tell Han what he wanted to know and folded her arms round her body.

Er. Well, Captain. The princess asked me to auction her robes and headdress from the Ceremony of Light to raise money to provide the children with a home and education. They fetched a handsome price, I'm sure you'll agree,” 3PO announced proudly. Han turned to Leia, admiration on his face. They shared a long look. He appreciated why she had done it, to draw a line under the Chandrila incident and to make something good out of something bad, but the items were still an important part of her Alderaanian past and it was a big deal for her to sell them. She shrugged it off.

Who'd have thought so many people would be interested in Alderaanian memorabilia,” she said quietly.

Now see,” he gestured at her with an outstretched arm. “You do something incredible like this and then try to hide it,” he said, dumbfounded.

Well we don't all feel the need to gloat about our activities,” she said sarcastically. “Anyway, what good was it to me in a cupboard gathering dust?” He shook his head. “On a more personal note,” Leia gave him a challenging look to stop him saying anything more. “there is something else I would like to consider.” She took a deep breath. “Some of the Security Forces are Alderaanian, under the influence of conditioning. I would like to try to minimise the casualties if possible, weed out the mercenaries and see if we can rehabilitate the others.”

I think we owe them that much. They are as much victims of this as the children,” Madine agreed. Blake cleared her throat politely.

If I may interrupt,” she said.

Of course, Blake,” Leia gave her her full attention.

There is something I think can help, both with troop numbers and with the Security Force issue,” she announced.

What is it?” Leia asked, interested.

It would be better if I ,showed you, if you can manage the walk” Blake said. Leia looked even more curious now.

You are being very mysterious, Blake. Alright, then.” She gestured for Blake to lead the way. “Should we all come?” Leia enquired.

If you all want to but it's more relevant to you,” she addressed Leia, who looked at Han with a quizzical expression. He shrugged. No one else seemed to know what was going on either. Taking Han's arm, Leia, accompanied by all the other curious members of the meeting room, followed Blake through the large adjacent room and down the corridor to a lower floor where she led them towards one of the internal balconies, overlooking the courtyard. At the archway, she turned to take Leia's hand, leading her to the balustrade.

Leia's jaw dropped and she gasped as sixty smartly uniformed Alderaanian Security Force soldiers, stood to attention when they saw her. She leaned on the balustrade for support. It was an incredible sight. Their buckles and insignia shining proudly, they all stood in formation in the courtyard. Blake looked at her, smiling at her reaction.

I don't understand,” Leia said, astounded.

When they heard what happened to you and the other officers at the hands of Duke Delcar, they wanted to help,” she explained.

How did you do all this?” Leia looked at Blake.

It wasn't me. I just mentioned to the Vohemar crew on the way over here what had happened to you and how the duke had taken advantage of the security force officers, using them to try to assassinate you. They went back and gathered all the ex security forces they could find. Every one of them volunteered. With your permission, they want to form a task force to retrieve their colleagues and work to re-train them, wherever that may take them and until the job is done. The officers amongst the citizens the duke left behind on Chandrila have agreed to join the programme.” Leia's eyes filled with tears of pride and Han squeezed her shoulders.

He shared an impressed look with Luke and Lando. The Security Force reputation was well renowned and there were many in the Alliance but they mingled with other Alliance personnel and he had only seen a few of them in uniform on the odd occasion when Leia used them for personal protection. He was impressed with their show of strength. It was not surprising Leia was so proud of them.

Oh, Blake. I don't know what to say,” Leia was completely overwhelmed. She looked towards the edge of the balcony where a set of steps led down to the courtyard. The distance to the bottom was daunting in her weakened state but she must attempt it. She turned to Luke.

Can you help me down there?” she asked quietly.

Sure,” he took her arm.

You don't have to go down there,” Blake assured her.

Yes, Blake. I do. If they can go to all this trouble. So can I,” she insisted.

Han and the others moved forward to the balustrade, Han leaning on his elbows, and watched as Leia and Luke descended the steps and began talking to the commander. Han watched as she instructed them to relax and they gathered round her, as she spent time talking to each and every one of them.

That was a great thing you did, Blake,” he said kindly. “Thank you.” She smiled at him.

Really, I didn't do much. I didn't even know they were coming until this morning. They are a proud organisation and Leia has done everything she can for them since the loss of Alderaan. They wouldn't hesitate to do the same for her and the other members of their team. They might not be highly skilled front line troops but for covert missions, intelligence and stealth, they are unsurpassed. They will also have no trouble re-conditioning the others. Their skill in resisting and treating mind-control effects is highly practised.” Han looked at her, a thought occurring to him. “Yes, that's probably where she learned it,” Blake confirmed his unspoken thought.

While they chatted, Leia made her way back to the balcony.

We're going to have to organise them something to eat. I don't know, if we get any more guests round here, we'll have to send out for more supplies.”

Did you agree to oversee their re-training programme?” Blake asked eagerly.

I agreed, Blake. I think it's a wonderful idea but I don't think I should be the one to oversee it. I think that should be you.” Blake looked stunned.

Me?”

Yes, Blake. You are a security force commander are you not? You have the skill and more than enough experience to do the job. If you like you can keep me informed of the progress but I put you in charge.” Blake smiled. She would thoroughly enjoy the challenge.

Thank you, ma'am,” she said proudly.

Eldon, I swear, if you call me ma'am again, I'll have you posted to Jakku digging for sand worms,” Leia glared. Han and Blake grinned at each other.

Thank you, Leia,” Blake corrected. Leia squeezed the older woman's hand.

She felt uncharacteristically tired from the climb and very sick. The length of time it was taking to recover from the injection of toxins was far longer than on the Death Star and she was beginning to get frustrated with her own incapacity. When the duke said he had modified things, he was certainly telling the truth. “Lets sit down and have something to drink,” she suggested, waving everyone inside with both hands. Luke hung back.

Are you alright?” he interrogated, looking at her seriously. She just sighed. “You should have slept longer. Even your subconscious is too impatient. The toxins didn't have time to leave your system before you pulled all the tubes off.” She looked guilty.

I know that now. I expected it to be like last time but, if anything, I think I'm getting worse. There was just so much to do. I don't have the luxury of sitting around. Al-Adreen could be obliterated while I'm lying in bed.” Her brow furrowed and she looked down at her hands. They were shaking. She clasped them together firmly to stop them. Luke looked sympathetic.

What can I do?”

Nothing,” she insisted. “Please don't mention it. I'll get Blake to sort something out later. I just need to sit down for a little while.” Luke looked like he was considering her request then he looked earnest.

Alright. Make sure you do. I'll be watching you and, if you don't recover soon, I'll have to put you to sleep again.” She laughed.

Thank you, big brother.”

How do you know I'm your big brother?” He looked suspiciously at her.

I don't. You're just so wise... and also, I definitely look a few minutes younger than you.” She hit him playfully on the arm and went inside.

Findswoman likes this.
  14. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, caught up at last! It's fun to see Lando on the scene—not just because of being reunited with old friends and such, but he will be a very valuable ally for them in whatever assault they have planned (and that's news to me too). And what a beautiful gift he's brought Leia; I almost wonder if this gem, too, will turn out to have some sort of Force resonance the way the Killian Star did. It's great to see all these leaders of the Rebellion military coming together to finally put the kybosh on the child trafficking/conditioning once and for all, and the reconciliation with Ambassador San'teefa is very encouraging to see—I hope he too will prove to be a helpful aly in this endeavor now that he knows what it's all about and what's involved. But Blake truly takes the cake for organizing the sixty security force troops—they'll be an valuable help to Leia and the Alliance on this mission. I knew I liked Blake—she really is one in a million! [face_love]

Finally, I know I've mentioned before what a great job you've done writing Han and Leia together, which of course you're still doing—but in this last couple of chapters it's been great to see how you write the sibling banter between Luke and Leia too. That "few minutes younger" comment is pretty priceless! :D

15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Agreed. Totally priceless.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 38

I am very impressed with your security forces, Your Highness,” Ambassador San'teefa told Leia when she joined them in the top chamber. “I have heard a lot about their prowess in the security of Alderaan but have never met any. They look very effective.”

They are, Ambassador,” Leia raised her eyebrows affirmatively as she took a welcome seat on a decorative and very comfortable looking wood framed sofa.

This is all highlighting how sadly lacking we are on Cato Neimoidia in security or policing of any sort. We are rather powerless to tackle this serious issue ourselves. Perhaps that's why we were chosen as a location. No eyes will be pointing in our direction.” The Ambassador looked a little lost. “My lack of knowledge in military matters doesn't help, I really need to appoint someone who can advise us, a liaison between government and military, perhaps, who can be oversee the setting up of something like you have formed on Alderaan.” He indicated outside to the courtyard and the peacekeepers. “Perhaps you would consider advising me in the short term, Your Highness.” His dark grey, leathery skin and huge red eyes did not give any facial clues as to his feelings and Leia found Neimoidians, in general, quite difficult to read, but his voice as he spoke betrayed his frustration and his obvious desire to build his planet into a legitimate and reputable member of the New Republic was softening her opinion of him every moment that he spoke. Her mind had been working hard while he was talking.

I would be happy to advise you, Ambassador. You are welcome to ask my advice whenever you need it but I may be able to do one better than that.” She glanced at Eldon Blake. “Commander Blake is in charge of the peacekeepers now and, once Takodana is clear, she can oversee operations to disband the enclave on Cato Neimoidia. I will, of course, give as much military support as is required.” The Ambassador nodded gratefully. “Afterwards though, and I am springing this on you Eldon so I apologise, I think she would be a perfect choice to act as military liaison to Cato Neimoidia. She has extensive military and senatorial knowledge and, of course, she comes highly recommended.” Leia smiled at Eldon who was staring open-mouthed at her. “Her position would obviously report to the New Republic; I think I can persuade them to give her her own department, attached to my offices, and, after you no longer need her support, she could advise other planets who wish to follow your lead.”

That's a good idea,” Madine looked impressed. “The peacekeepers can be trusted to organise sensible, non-aggressive security measures and advise each government appropriately.”

My thinking exactly,” Leia agreed. “And if her new department is attached to mine, the government will allow her to do her job relatively undisturbed, except for the regular Senate reporting that is,” Leia looked sideways at Eldon and pulled a sympathetic face.

Eldon could not believe what Leia was suggesting. It was an incredible opportunity; her own government position; in charge of her own team to spread their peacekeeping methods to other planets. She could not have thought of a better idea. The only downside was that it meant no longer working for Leia. Leia looked at her expectantly.

What do you think, Eldon?”

Han smiled, amused as Eldon's face was a mix of elation and concern at the same time. He marvelled at how Leia could pluck these ideas off the top of her head so quickly, matching people together, forming perfect teams.

You should do it, Eldon,” he encouraged. Eldon looked round the room. Everyone seemed to be in agreement.

Leia. I think it's a fantastic suggestion but it means I will no longer be your aide. All I ever wanted was to work for you and now I am.” Leia stood up and took both her hands.

Eldon, I have appreciated your work and will miss you, more than I can tell you but I always knew I was a stepping stone in your career. You are too talented to be following me around carrying out my dull instructions. You deserve this. Besides, we will see each other regularly if I give you an office near mine. We are friends aren't we?” A glint appeared in Leia's eye. “Now we can alleviate boring meetings by pulling faces at grumpy senators together.” Both women laughed.

Ambassador San'teefa looked delighted with the idea and not a little bit relieved.

What do you say, Ambassador?” Leia enquired.

I would be honoured to accept your recommendation, Your Highness. I feel relieved to be getting the assistance in this matter. Perhaps we will soon be able to establish good trade contracts throughout the galaxy,” he sounded hopeful and excited. Leia smiled broadly. Han knew another idea had come to her.

Ambassador, have you been introduced to Lando Calrissian?” Leia guided Lando toward the ambassador like she was introducing people at a party. “Lando has a very lucrative ore mining operation on Lorta. Amongst other things, they produce these wonderful stones,” she pointed to her necklace, which San'teefa admired. “Lando loves to foster new trade agreements and the old Corellian Trade Route runs straight by both of you.” Lando grinned at her as he shook the ambassador's hand.

I'm starting to wonder why I didn't think of asking you for contacts before, Leia,” he complimented.

I don't know why you didn't either,” she laughed. “Now aren't you both glad you came? Once you have come to an agreement, I also know a new business starting up with very fast and reliable cargo freighters that I can certainly vouch for,” She winked at Han who was sitting leaning on his knees, watching her orchestration. He looked down at his feet, a big smile on his face.

She sat down next to him admiring her handy work, the animated faces of Lando and San'teefa as they formed a new relationship, San'teefa's oversized headdress wobbling as he nodded his head excitedly at Lando's conversation; the more stiff military discussions between Madine, Blake and Kobar, and she smiled.

Pleased with yourself?” Han asked, sharing a smile with Luke.

Just a little bit,” Leia admitted, making a little sign with her thumb and forefinger.

You need to slow down now before you start convincing Luke to give Kobar meditation lessons,” Han joked, dryly. Leia's eyes widened and she looked at Luke, an exaggerated tilt to her head.

Now, there's an idea. He needs to lower his stress levels.” Her mock serious expression was enough to give Luke concern.

Oh no,” he said, holding both hands up. “Even I'm not up for that one.” Leia and Han laughed.

Leia leant back against Han's chest. The afternoon was taking its toll on her and her head ached. He put his arm round her and leant his head down close to hers.

How are you feeling?” he whispered. She looked up at him.

I think I might go and lie down for a while before dinner. It's going to be a long day tomorrow and I can't afford to be tired.” He moved his head to look at her face. She never went to lie down.

Do you need anything?” he offered. She squeezed his hand.

No, thank you. Just a rest.” She got up. “If you'll excuse me, gentlemen, I'll see you all for dinner.” She moved past Luke, squeezing his shoulder affectionately, and headed towards the steps of the large archway, catching Blake's eye discreetly as she left the room.
    Han was used to watching people's faces. He couldn't see Leia's face as she had her back to him but he saw Blake's almost undetectable acknowledgement of Leia's and watched her leave a few minutes later. He leaned closer to Luke.

Something's going on with Leia. She's not well is she?” He demanded information from him. Luke paused before answering. Leia asked him not to say anything but he owed it to Han to be honest.

She didn't want to make a big deal out of it but I think she got up too quickly. It's taking her a while to process all those hallucinogens. You said the duke told her it was a modified interrogator?” Han nodded

Yeah, he said he was testing a new model on her.”

He was obviously modifying the drugs. If the same stuff has been used on any of the children, I feel sorry for them. She said she didn't want anyone to know and that she would sort it out with Blake.” Luke saw Han's irked face. “Han, you know she would be mortified if anyone thought she had a weakness. She's used to being the strength at the head of thousands of soldiers and she has to put that front up for their sakes. We just have to keep an eye on her and let her fix it.” Han rolled his eyes.

I get what you're saying but sometimes, I wish she'd just shout help and the fact that she doesn't, gets right under my skin.” Luke sympathised with him.

She's a survivor and you don't survive by giving in to weakness.”

Well, the stress of that's going to kill her,” Han emphasised, getting up sharply. “Lando, let's go and see what we can find in the kitchens for dinner,” he beckoned his friend.

#

Blake found Leia half way back to her bedroom, leaning against the wall, her hands on her knees. She looked like she was catching her breath after a long run.

Are you okay?” she asked her, although it was a redundant question. Leia looked up with the face of a deathly apparition. She did not need to ask for help, it was in her eyes.

Eldon, I can't make it back to the bedroom. Look at me!” She held her shaking hands out in front of her. “My legs are no better. That narglatch poisoned me,” she said angrily. Blake supported her and began walking back to the bedroom, scolding her as she went.

You shouldn't have made me dismiss the medical droid so quickly. It was cleansing your system and now you're probably feeling withdrawal.” Blake was familiar with the treatment for this sort of thing but Leia was stubborn and hadn't accepted that she needed treatment.

Yes, I know,” Leia said impatiently. “I've had that lecture from Luke. Can you get me something to fix it? I can't be like this any longer. We have a battle to win tomorrow.” Blake tutted at her.

What I should be doing is calling in the peacekeepers and plugging you back into the de-tox machine.”

No. Please don't do that. There must be something you can find to counteract it, at least temporarily,” she implored.

When they reached the bedroom, Blake removed Leia's cloak and helped her onto the bed, covering her with a woolly blanket as her whole body shook.

You did too much today,” she continued to scold. She felt Leia's head. It was burning hot. “I should fetch Han,” she mused.

No,” Leia insisted. “He'll feel more guilty than he does already and I don't want that; Luke will knock me out and I don't want that either. There must be something in a med-kit somewhere that can stop the shakes at least. The Vohemar has a better med-bay than the Falcon. You could send 3PO.” Blake shook her head.

No. I'll go myself. Don't get up until I come back,” she ordered, leaving the room and marching quickly down the corridor towards the courtyard. Rounding a corner, she jumped. Han was waiting for her, leaning against the wall, his arms folded. He looked sternly at her and gestured with his hand for her to give up the information. She sighed.

She doesn't want you to know,” Blake insisted.

Well, she won't know you've told me will she?” he stated, raising both eyebrows insistently.

I think she still has the poison in her and she's not doing well. She's developed a fever and, if you want my opinion, she should be doing something to get that stuff out of her bloodstream before it does permanent damage. She won't be hooked up again though so she's sent me to fetch something to help detox her,” Blake looked at him seriously. “She obviously feels very unwell but she's more concerned that you don't find out and feel guilty.”

Too late for that,” Han raised his eyebrows again. He thought hard, pursing his lips. “Come with me,” he said finally. “I have an idea.”

#

Curled up with the woolly covers pulled up round her neck as tightly as she could get them, Leia's head pounded and she shivered like she had stayed out too long in Hoth's icy landscape after dark. Her eyes closed against the firelight, she cursed herself for the chain of events that put her and Han in a dangerous position, and racked her sore brain for a solution to her current dilemma. Remembering that Eldon had told her some of the children were in a bad way when they had been recovered from the base, she wondered whether any of them were going through the same as her. If so, she should be making sure adequate treatment was being provided.

Sweetheart,” Han's gentle, gravelly voice filtered into her feverish mind. Hmmm. It would be so nice to be held by him right now but she did not want anyone to see her in her current state.

Sweetheart,” his voice was accompanied by his hand on her forehead. She opened her eyes, saw his face and frowned.

Oh no. What are you doing here?” she asked, her voice not sounding quite like her own. “Eldon wasn't supposed to tell you anything,” she said, disappointed.

She wasn't going to but I ambushed her,” he explained. “You shouldn't be dealing with this by yourself.” He stroked her hair back from her clammy forehead. She screwed her face up in despair.

I don't want you to see me like this. I look like wampa dung.” Han chuckled.

You don't look like wampa dung,” he reassured. “I was going to say mynock slime.” Leia stared at him. “But I happen to like mynock slime,” he added, smiling affectionately. She started to laugh, her head aching more from the effort. She put a hand on her own forehead.

Oh, good. That makes me feel so much better.” He had a great way of cutting through all her worry and self pity with his carefree flippancy and just leaving the facts. He was a rock and his strong, comforting hand resting on her blanket covered shoulder was a tremendous relief. She resolved not to wait so long before confiding in him again.

Sit up,” he instructed. I've brought something to make you feel better.” He helped her into a seated position, propping pillows up behind her for support and then handing her a glass of the most unappetising liquid she had ever seen. She was not even sure it was liquid, more something he had dug up off the mountainside that was still crawling.

What the hell is that?” she exclaimed.

Medicine,” he said, matter of factly, taking her hand and placing the glass firmly in her palm.

It looks like Rathtar vomit,” she looked horrified.

Tastes like it too,” he agreed. “But it'll work. Trust me.” He sat on the edge of the bed and waited for her to drink his concoction. She looked dubious but took a sip, screwing her face up in disgust.

Eugh! That's... I can't even describe it.” He laughed.

Drink it or I'll drag you down to the med-bay myself and you'll stay there 'til I say you can leave.” He had a serious glint in his eye.

You're such a bully,” she chided, taking another sip. “I take it back. It's not Rathtar vomit. It tastes more like liquidised Tauntaun guts.” He raised an eyebrow.

Have you eaten those before?” he teased. She made a mock thinking face. “On some of my diplomatic missions... probably.”

They spent the next few minutes exchanging more and more revolting comparisons for the drink, Leia's mood lifting and her mind being taken off the symptoms, until she had finished the medicine.

Right. Get some sleep now. I'll save you something to eat in case you're hungry later and I'll come back and check on you soon.” He took her glass and stood up.

Maybe we should give some of that stuff to the children,” Leia suggested.

Done it,” he confirmed. “Stop worrying.”

What would I do without you?” she smiled lovingly.

You'd manage,” he said over his shoulder as he reached the doorway. Looking back, he added “but you'd look like mynock slime all the time,” he grinned and ducked to avoid the pillow she threw in his direction.

Findswoman likes this.
  17. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Howdy! Just wanted to chime in that I'm really enjoying the story! I'm only on chapter 4. I'll try to catch up with it but...holy crow, it's a long one. Good on ya!

Great job on the description and the wording. Your language is very easy to follow and does a great job of portraying our heroes well. I'll look forward to reading more of this!

=D=

18. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016

Thank you for finding me and reading. Hang in there - there are 47 chapters altogether!

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Those incredible diplomatic skills just keep shinin' on. :D Even with all her recent trials and tribulations, even though her health still isn't back to 100% (and it's so her not to want to admit that), Leia hasn't lost that unique knack for bringing people together and encouraging them to be friends. This is going to be a wonderful new opportunity for both Lando and Eldon (though naturally she and Leia will miss each other), and it will be an invaluable help to San'teefa and his world.

I have to say, though: as in character as it is for her, I share Han's concern about the way Leia is pushing herself so hard, especially given the nature of the torture she endured. But thank the Force she is surrounded by folks who care for her and will take good care of her, and that care is what will pull her through—even when it means drinking stuff that looks like it's still crawling and tastes like rathtar vomit, liquefied tauntaun guts, or some combination of the two (loved that exchange, and love the way this recovery has in no wise diminished Leia's humor and snark). If she can pitch pillows at her fiancé, she's making good headway, I think! Once again, your Han-Leia banter is tops. [face_love]

20. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 39

Han had returned to check on Leia late in the evening, after their guests had all been settled into suites for the night. He had intended to leave her sleeping and find a room down the corridor but, as he bent to check her condition in the dull light, she had reached for his hand and asked him to stay, turning her body in to cuddle his when he got into bed. He felt her forehead with his hand while she dozed, satisfied that her fever had gone.

He watched her sleep in the flickering firelight, his mind still busy. He did not relish the thought of battle in the morning but, at the same time, understood the necessity of it. Under direction from Eldon Blake, the peacekeepers had already headed out, positioning themselves throughout the jungle to monitor the movements of the enemy, ready to alert them should things escalate earlier than expected. He had felt confident in getting a few hours sleep, a few hours of comfort in each other's arms, before the chaos began again tomorrow.

His dreams were now being interrupted by a sound that was guaranteed to put his nerves and his temper on edge.

Captain Solo. Captain Solo. Wake up,” 3PO spoke loudly from the doorway. “Captain Solo!”

What do you want?” Han asked crossly, opening his eyes and squinting at the droid.

The princess requests your presence in her command centre,” 3PO formally announced, ignoring Han's impatient manner. It sounded to Han more like something 3PO would say rather than Leia. Command Centre?

Did she actually say that, 3PO?” he asked wearily as he sat up.

Well, no. Actually Captain, she said Ask Captain Solo if he's going to lay around in bed all day.” 3PO seemed almost pleased to have told Han this, grabbing the chance to pass on the princess' slight at Han's tardiness. Yes, that sounded more like Leia. Han looked out towards the balcony. It was barely dawn and she was impatient already.

I assume she's feeling better then,” he asked the droid.

The princess seems to be on fine form this morning,” 3PO was pleased to announce. Han breathed deeply. Perhaps he needed some of that medicine to prepare himself.

Tell her, I'm coming.” He waved 3PO away and got up.

#

He could hear Leia's voice barking orders as he came up the corridor towards their make shift command centre, which was buzzing with activity. Two security force officers were leaving as he got there.

And swap those uniforms, Lieutenant,” Leia called after them. “We need to be able to tell you from the enemy.” She pointed with an outstretched arm at their peacekeeper uniforms to emphasise her instruction. Han watched them leave as he passed, turning back to face Leia. She was, as 3PO had described, on fine form; lively, her face the picture of health and military precision applied to her appearance. She smiled broadly at him when she saw him. “I was beginning to think you weren't going to join us.” He spread his arms.

It's not even light yet.” He took her hand and kissed her cheek in greeting. “I assume my medicine worked then. You look better.”

I feel amazing!” she enthused. “Thank you. I have no idea what was in it but we definitely need to add that to the med-kit.”

Actually, that was one of Maz's hang-over cures. She's used it on me many times,” Han elaborated. Leia raised her eyebrows, amused.

A hang-over cure? Well. I must thank her later.” Three more squad members squeezed past Han, nodding an acknowledgement as they exited the office. He stepped aside to let them through as Luke and Lando arrived in the command centre together. The holo-map was alive with activity. Lights blinking in different colours as ships came and went and personnel positioned themselves in the jungle below. Leia kept one eye on the activity.

Madine, Kobar and I are ready to leave,” Luke informed her. “The transports are waiting in the next valley.”

Admiral Ackbar, Leia,” Blake announced as a holo-vid call came in. Leia held a finger up to Luke and Lando.

Good morning, Admiral,” Leia answered the call. The Admiral's large Mon Calamarian head filled the holo-vid screen.

The Home One is now in orbit and fighters are ready. We are tracking the star destroyer. It came out of hyperspace some way back and is taking its time. I don't think they anticipate any trouble. They'll have a big surprise when they get here and find us.” He sounded almost like he was relishing the thought of a fight.

Good Admiral. I suggest you send us one squadron and keep the others to protect yourselves for the time being. We'll call for reinforcements if we need them.”

Agreed,” the admiral signed off. Leia turned back to Luke and Lando.

The Vohemar has agreed to give me a lift up there,” Lando informed her. “I'll go down with Luke to meet them.”

Good,” she answered. Ambassador San'teefa appeared in the doorway. “Ambassador. I hope you won't mind observing here while Commander Blake and C-3PO run things.” He bowed in agreement. “Right, gentlemen,” she said, spreading her arms out. “Let's go.” She marched off through the next room. Han shook his head to clear it. It was all moving too fast for him.

I'm not even sure the Falcon's ready yet,” he complained after her.

Chewie got the Falcon ready an hour ago,” she berated over her shoulder. “He wasn't sleeping on the job.” She breezed determinedly past everyone like a miniature tornado and disappeared round the corner and out of sight.

Lando exploded with loud, rich laughter.

That's one hell of a woman,” he guffawed appreciatively to Han as they headed in the direction she had disappeared. “You've definitely met your match, you old pirate.”

Han smiled to himself. Their life together certainly wasn't going to be boring.

21. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 40

The rising sun over the verdant Takodana landscape hit the early morning frost, making it glisten and melt on the ground below as the Falcon flew its sweeping, rocking path over the terrain.

Chewbacca and Han's long time partnership allowed for their instinctive operation of the controls, knowing what the other was doing at all times, not needing to speak. Han flicked switches, made minor adjustments to controls and silently listened to Leia behind him at the communications console, giving orders and relaying information, efficiently co-ordinating the teams above and below. He smiled to himself as he listened to her. She liaised with Blake in the castle, swivelling her chair and reaching over to study a holo-map on the console behind her, deeply focused on all teams at once. Her reputation as a formidable leader was widespread, but he was used to watching her in the control room, planning their strategy and then allowing her experienced generals to take the lead. She had even followed orders herself when she and Han had gone on missions together but today, she had placed her generals in the field and had taken full command of the Alliance, the Falcon turned into her mobile command centre. He loved watching her work. He would not want to be the opposition today.

She placed a hand on his shoulder as she leaned to look out of the view-screen

No General. Maintain your position,” she held her other hand to her earpiece communicator. “I want them to advance first. Commander Blake will inform us when they make a move. All we need to do is drive them toward Luke's team. Once they're in the jungle, you will be afforded more cover.” She leant closer to Han. “Stay out of sight for the moment,” she instructed. He nodded.

Got it. I'm flying the trade flight path to Al-Adreen. We'll look like just another cargo freighter,” he informed her. She smiled and patted his shoulder, sitting back down. She could always rely on his ingenuity.

With any luck, we won't have to engage them until the last minute and we can minimise the casualties,” she said, almost to herself.

Blake's voice broke into her musing.

The enemy are on the move, ma'am.” Leia didn't even blink at the reference. In a combat situation, it was probably the most appropriate. “The peacekeepers are all in position. They will try to tag the location of the heavier artillery for the air strikes.” Leia swung her chair round, hitting her earpiece with a finger.

General Madine, General Kobar. They're on the move. Wait until they are fully under cover of the jungle and then begin your advance. The peacekeepers will thin out the edges for you. Just make sure they can't retreat.” She studied the movements of the troops being relayed to her via Blake's console to her display in the cockpit. “Luke, they're heading your way.”

We're ready,” Luke's voice echoed back.

It was a waiting game. Leia sat on the edge of her chair, using her feet to swivel herself as needed, constantly checking data. Blue squadron were flying a holding pattern several miles out, their blinking lights on the console at the far edges of its range. They would be there in minutes the moment she gave the order.

How are we doing?” she checked with Han, looking out of the view-screen from her seat. He looked back at her.
    All good. No-one's paying attention to us at the moment. They might wonder why we aren't landing after a few more passes but I'll make something up,” he grinned. She leant forward, forearms resting on her thighs, her flack jacket a snug fit over her camouflage jumpsuit, her hair braid tightly wound round her head. He looked her over.

What?” She saw his stare.

You look... prepared.” He chose his words carefully. She looked back out of the view-screen, a thin smile on her lips.

It's the best way to be,” she replied.

Leia, the star destroyer is aware of our presence,” Admiral Ackbar's voice came over the comm. Leia sat up, her lips pressed tightly together. “We are sending the squadrons with General Calrissian to engage their tie-fighters. You might want to prepare. It won't be long before they alert their ground troops.”

Understood, Admiral,” Leia replied, hitting her earpiece. “General Madine, General Kobar. They know we're here. Prepare to engage,” she ordered, turning to look at the display screen to watch the advance.

Han glanced back to watch the same display. The red mass of the imperial troops spreading out through the jungle, the green of the Alliance troops behind and in front of them in three little clusters and the individual blinking green lights of the peacekeepers, working their stealth operation. They began, one by one to advance towards the red mass as they singled out the rogue security force stragglers at the edge and picked them off, withdrawing them to a holding area away from the main group. Han imagined them, camouflaged in the jungle, silently picking their unsuspecting victims. Blake had said they were good at covert operations and Leia was utilising their talents to the full. He knew that, as soon as full combat began, she would move in her other platoons. She breathed out sharply though her nose, one ear on the faint static chatter from the Home One just outside Takodana's atmosphere.
    Blake, do we have any co-ordinates for their artillery yet?” she checked.

Yes, ma'am. 3PO has relayed the information to Blue Squadron and is updating them as we get more accurate reports.”

Good work,” she praised. Her eyes suddenly focused more intently on the display. “They're under fire,” she said, switching to a screen on the other side of the cockpit and flicking the comm switch so they could all hear what she was hearing through her earpiece.

They've spotted us,” Madine reported. “We're engaging now.”

Copy,” Leia confirmed. “Blake, move the peacekeepers back and let Madine and Kobar move in,” she ordered.

Copy that, ma'am.” Leia watched the screen. Little lights blinked out, both green and red. Her eyes narrowed and she ran her tongue over her lips. Han glanced at her occasionally. He knew better than to ask her if she was alright. He knew by now that her Force sensitivity meant that she felt each and every one of their losses.

We're under heavy fire,” General Kobar's gravelly voice reported. “Some help with their artillery would be welcome.”

3PO, relay the latest co-ordinates of those guns to Blue Squadron,” Leia instructed quickly.

Yes, Your Highness. I am relaying the up to date information as we speak. They should have it in seconds.” Leia ignored his over explanation.

Blue Squadron, target the co-ordinates you've been sent. Keep your fire localised to those co-ordinates only if possible. We just need to take out their guns.” It would have been so much easier to wipe out the enemy now with one effective air strike but this mission was partly a retrieval exercise.

Yes, ma'am,” Blue Squadron leader confirmed. The cockpit filled with chatter, from Home One, from the two generals liaising with each other and from Blue Squadron as they reported their actions as they took place. A number of red lights were extinguished as the X-Wings flew a partially successful pass, removing most of the heavy guns. “We didn't get them all. Coming round for another pass,” the leader reported.

Princess,” Admiral Ackbar's voice contacted her directly. “A group of tie-fighters has broken off from the main group and is heading down to the planet.”

Copy that, Admiral,” she replied. Then to the ground troops, “Get ready, we're about to have company.”

Bring it on. We'll be waiting for them,” Blue Squadron leader bravely announced. Han appreciated the X-Wing pilots' notorious enthusiasm.

Leia examined the display closely. She did not like what she saw.
    They're splitting up,” she said, irritated. “That' not good.” Indeed, the red mass had split into two groups and was moving diagonally forward, either side of Luke's position. “Blake, bring the peacekeepers round and regroup on the other side of Luke's team. Point 45.”

Yes, ma'am. Do you have an idea?”

Just planning ahead, Blake. Move them into position and hold them there for now,” Leia confirmed. Han saw something on his own screen on the console.

Our flying friends have arrived,” he informed her, pointing to his screen. She flicked her eyes to his screen then her hand to the comms.

Blue Squadron. Tie-fighters at point 56.”

We see them,” the leader confirmed then barked orders to his colleagues.

We've got a couple pretty close to us,” Han warned as he spotted two blips on the screen heading in their direction. Just as he spoke, the two tie-fighters flew dangerously close to them, across their flight path. “Woah!” Han exclaimed, having to steer sharply to avoid them. “They don't care who sees them,” he noted. “I'd be worried about that.” He looked back at her, his eyebrows raised in warning. She nodded, concerned herself at the aggressive flight pattern of the fighters. The Falcon lurched, causing them to grab onto to the nearest thing to steady themselves.
    “And I'm very worried about that!” Han shouted as they were hit by a laser blast from one of the fighters. Chewbacca growled something about shields.

Another blast nearly flung Leia off her chair. “Switch power to the front shields,” Han ordered Chewbacca. “We're going to have to join this fight,” he announced to Leia as he pulled back on the throttle and veered the Falcon sharply round in the direction of the tie-fighters. Time was she would have argued with him but she had learned that if he decided to fight, it was probably the only option.

She sat firmly in her seat and buckled herself in as Han's skilful flying dodged and weaved round the tie-fighter's laser fire. Chewbacca dropped the lower laser cannons and returned fire, as Han chased a target, matching its flight path as best he could until Chewbacca's shot hit its mark, exploding the tie into a mass of flame and debris. Han was just feeling pleased with their success so far when another two tie-fighters joined the battle, a member of Blue Squadron tight on their tail. The X-Wing weaved and spun after a selected target, continuous laser fire spewing from its open S-foil guns. Han secretly admired the skill of the pilot, too busy avoiding fire himself to voice his appreciation. The X-Wing shot past the Falcon on a diving attack run on one of the tie-fighters, obliterating the target in a smooth sweep.

Damn, these guys are good,” Han finally praised. Leia was pleased they were. It was getting a bit hot out here, the air filled with laser fire, debris and fighters.

The two remaining fighters were proving evasive, Chewbacca's laser fire not managing to touch either of them, the X-Wing assistance not having much luck either.

Slippery little customers aren't they?” Han said in frustration. “We could do with some extra fire power,” he instructed Leia, jerking his thumb in the direction of the gun well. Her heart sank. She hated the Falcon gun turrets. The array's swinging action felt like trying to stay on an out of control narglatch.

Really? I've just started to feel better and you're going to make me feel sick again,” she exclaimed. “Can't you do it and I'll fly?” She hoped he would say yes.

No!” he insisted, sounding horrified at the suggestion. “I'm the better pilot. You're the better shot.” He jerked his thumb again. “Today would be kinda helpful if you think you can manage it,” he said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes, unbuckled herself and ran for the gun well, climbing up to the top turret and switching on the power to the targeting computer as she sat down. The seat swung immediately and she grabbed the controls to steady the apparatus and herself.

There must be a better design for these things,” she thought out loud.

Just pull the trigger will ya?” Han yelled.

Okay, okay. Just shut up and fly,” she yelled back. She studied the position of the two tie-fighters on the targeting computer and squeezed the trigger, missing her target by inches as her whole seat swung violently sideways with the force of the cannon fire. Frack. She would have to allow for that.

What are you waiting for?” Han jibed from below.

Give me a break,” she yelled back. “When was the last time you sat in one of these things? Just let me get my bearings.”

Deciding she preferred to shoot by sight, she looked out of the viewport and calculated the trajectory of the laser fire as Han chased them, using a sweeping action. The X-Wing was struggling. Up in front of the tie-fighters, it was trying to avoid being caught in their missile lock. She needed to do something quickly. Feeling the Falcon's smooth movement, she waited for another pass and squeezed the trigger as Han swung the Falcon like a pendulum, spraying a continuous line of laser fire right across the middle of the tie-fighters' bodywork, taking both fighters out at once.

Nice one, Sweetheart,” Han yelled joyously. He turned to Chewbacca. “That woman is one hell of a shot.” Chewbacca roared his agreement.

Can I get out of this thing now?” Leia asked. “It's a bit of a wild ride up here.” Han grinned as he switched his own display, choosing to keep his comments to himself.

Leia rejoined them in the cockpit, immediately checking the troop positions on the display screen. The two groups of enemy troops had split quite dramatically and would soon be the other side of the jungle. The peacekeepers seemed to have thinned them a little and a cluster of captives were being held securely to one side of the screen. The lights of the squadrons, both tie-fighters and X-Wings scattered and moved across the display in such a way that she knew the sky was alive with laser fire above the jungle.
    General Madine, General Kobar, what is your status?” She requested an update.

The enemy split into two groups. We are currently concentrating on one group to the east. Taking fire but still pushing them forward,” Kobar's voice returned.

We are on the other group,” Madine added. “There's heavy fire from above too but luckily it's hard for them to pinpoint us in all this undergrowth. Not sure how Commander Skywalker is faring out in the open.”

Luke,” Leia turned her attention to his group on the display. She had not heard from him for a while. “Report please.” She waited almost too long for his reply, her heart in her mouth.

We're all alright at the moment. The tie-fighters are being kept too busy by Blue Squadron to have noticed us. The enemy split into two and we don't have enough men to split and tackle both. That's going to be a problem if Madine and Kobar can't help from behind.” Leia did a quick calculation of numbers. There were indeed more enemy than Alliance at the moment.

I've moved the peacekeepers near to your location. I'll use them as backup if necessary,” she reassured him.
    That would be very welcome,” he returned.

Your targets are almost through the jungle. You should be able to see them within minutes. Just make sure they don't get through to the settlement.” She breathed in deeply to dispel the nerves building in her chest. “Luke?”

Yes?” She thought, I love you. Be careful. “I know. I will,” his calm, reassuring voice answered. She breathed out hard. Han gave her a comforting look over his shoulder. There was that half vid-call thing again.

He'll be alright. He knows what he's doing.” She nodded grimly. She had put her brother in the field rather than in a fighter. She hoped her instinct was right and she had not just signed his death warrant.

Let's help these guys get rid of their mynock infestation,” Han suggested, taking her mind off it and veering the Falcon round in the direction of the jungle. He did not want to take her into the middle of the fight but judging by the way everyone was outnumbered, it seemed there was little choice but to try to even the odds.

You need me upstairs?” Leia asked.
    No. You do your thing,” He waved a finger at her display. “Chewie and I will take care of this.” He looked at Chewbacca. “Let's break out the concussion missiles.” Chewbacca growled an affirmative and his furry arms moved quickly to ready the missile controls. Han pulled back on the Falcon throttle and increased speed towards the mêlée of fighter aircraft.

Look out, boys,” he announced boisterously to the X-Wing pilots as a whole. “We're going to give them a shake up.”

'Staying out of your way, Falcon,” Blue Squadron leader called back.

Leia buckled herself in firmly. She had been on one of Han's hair-raising air assaults before. His extraordinary skill at manoeuvring the Falcon was undeniable but seat belts were a prerequisite.

Chewie, let's set one off in the middle of that nest.” He indicated a small group of tie-fighters clustered together on his targeting display. Chewbacca hit a switch then pressed the button to fire the missile, a roar sounding from the missile ports on the front of the Falcon as it left its casing, heading towards it's target. It was a direct hit to a central tie exploding into several smaller missiles which were expelled in a radius back out from the centre, hitting four more fighters and sending them crashing down to the jungle below. Han, who was following the missile through, spun the Falcon out of the way of the explosions, spinning its disc shaped body and righting it again just the other side. Leia's stomach churned. She was glad she had not bothered with breakfast. Flying like this in space was one thing but here, where the effects of gravity had an influence on the body, it was an altogether different experience. A cacophony of cheers sounded over the comms from pilots of Blue Squadron.

Nice shooting, Falcon,” the squadron leader messaged. Leia smiled and gave Han a respectful and admiring nod.

My pleasure, boys. That evens things up a little.” Leia looked at the display. There were only three tie-fighter's left. No problem for the squadron to clear up.

Chewbacca growled a warning. He had spotted something on his display. Leia looked round sharply at hers. On the edges of the display, another blip was visible, positioned to the west of Luke's team, behind the rock barrier and the waiting peacekeepers. She watched as more red indicators lit up, radiating out from the original one. They had been so distracted by tie-fighters, they hadn't noticed another landing craft sneaking in behind their lines.

Luke. I think you have company,” she warned him.

Yeah. We saw them. A transport just landed a little way off from us. I think they've just dropped more troops,”
    Luke's voice warned. “We've just engaged our first group. I can't see where the others have landed but we could be boxed in if we're not careful.”

Leia bit her lip. He was right. Not only that, the new arrivals were shielded from the peacekeepers behind the rocks and were dangerously close to ambushing them. She had to think fast and did another quick calculation of numbers and positions. The peacekeepers would need stronger leadership if they were to be taken into a direct fire-fight. General Kobar and General Madine had enough to take care of as it was. There was only one choice.

22. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 41

Han. Put me on the ground.” He turned sharply and stared at her.

What?” he exclaimed, not understanding her request in the slightest. She pointed to the lights that were the peacekeepers.

They'll be killed if that group of stormtroopers gets to them and Luke's already struggling. They need another leader in the field.” He was momentarily speechless. He could not think of a more ridiculous idea.

I can just fly over and let off another cluster missile. I have one,” he offered his alternative. She shook her head.

You can't let one of those off there, the blast would incapacitate our own men. I can see what's going on. I need to be down there,” she insisted. He turned away from her.

There's no way I'm setting you down in the middle of that lot. There's nowhere to land anyway.” It was only partially true but he was grasping at straws for a reasonable excuse not to follow her instruction. She huffed loudly.

I'll use the cargo lift then and you won't have to land. You can do a quick drop and then you'll be out of the line of fire.” Damn, why did she have to be so smart.

Forget it, Sweetheart. I won't do it.” Chewbacca barked his agreement with Han. Leia's tone of voice changed to one he'd heard on countless occasions, the one she used when she wanted her own way, the one that earned her the fierce reputation. He winced, still refusing to meet her gaze, knowing all emotion would have gone from her face.

Put me on the ground. Right now, Captain.” She unbuckled herself and got up from her seat. “Don't make me find another way off this ship,” she warned. She would probably be able to do that too, he realised. He turned to look at her.

This is a stupid idea.”

Han. I'm not asking. Trust me and let me do my job,” she softened. Marginally.

They'll kill you.” His expression showed his defeat. There was no arguing with her when she was like this, but everything inside him went against the idea. She laid a hand on his shoulder.

I trust you to do your job as my husband and make sure they don't kill me.” He smiled thinly at her reference as she turned to exit the cockpit. “Drop me as close to the peacekeepers as possible,” she ordered.

Leia,” he called after her. She looked back, seeing the look in his eyes.

I know,” she smiled, her warmth returning. She ran for the cargo lift, opening the hatch and stepping in. She hit her earpiece comm. “Blake, I'm going down with Luke. Passing command back to you.”

You're going in the field?” Blake's voice paused. “Okay.” She sounded hesitant. “We'll co-ordinate from here. The peacekeepers are waiting for your orders.”

Good. Let them know I'll be with them in a few minutes. We have some friends to take care of. Alderaanian style.” Leia drew her blaster in readiness and held onto some strapping hanging down in the lift compartment.

They'll be pleased your leading them ma'am,” Blake added.

Don't encourage her, Blake,” Han's voice chipped in over the comm. “She's gone completely mad.”

I know what I'm doing,” Leia assured him. “Just let me know when we're in position.” She took a deep breath, feeling the Falcon coming down lower and becoming still.

In position. Go now,” Han confirmed. “Watch yourself,” he added. She smiled to herself at his concern and hit the button to lower the lift. It jerked into life, lowering her roughly through the Falcon's bulkhead and out into the open air. The Falcon hovered smoothly about twenty feet from the ground, the wind from its downward thrusters blasting her hair and clothes, covering her in the debris it was kicking up and forcing her to shield her eyes with her free arm. As the cargo lift neared the ground, she jumped the last couple of feet, keeping her body low as she ran for cover.

All clear,” she shouted above the noise into her comms to Han and Chewbacca. They raised the lift and smoothly lifted the Falcon away. She watched it go, a strange pang in her chest that felt almost like homesickness. She hoped she was doing the right thing. There would come a time, she knew, when this sort of thing was out of the question but, for now, it felt exhilarating.

Han had dropped her as close as he dared to the peacekeepers and she only had a short amount of terrain to cover before she located them, heading for their commander.

Princess. Commander Blake informed us you were coming. It is an honour but we are all concerned for your safety,” he greeted her.

Commander, there's no need for concern. We have a job to do and we are going to have to use all of our training today. You've got some uninvited guests trying to outflank you behind this line of rocks. We need to outsmart them or we and Commander Skywalker's team will lose our advantage.” The commander nodded. Leia looked round to see how many men she had at her disposal. Some had remained with the prisoners but still enough remained for an effective sortie. “We'll split into three teams and take the higher ground. If we climb up, here, here and here,” she pointed to the areas she had identified as the best climbing routes and the best vantage points. “we'll be able to come round behind them. Teams one and two, move round behind as they pass through these points.” She drew a quick map in the dirt with her finger. “I'll take team three and cover from above. Quietly!” she emphasised. “This is a covert operation. We don't want to end up in a fire-fight. Understood?”

Yes, ma'am,” a chorus of voices returned.

Good. Let's move before we're too late.” Two groups split off from them and headed east and west of her, choosing their route up the steep rocks. She took her small team and began climbing up the nearest outcrop, locating a good vantage point and waving the men down behind her as she spotted stormtrooper activity below. She had been correct in her assessment of their tactics. They were splitting into two teams and coming round either side of her location, presumably to ambush the rebels they thought were on the other side of the natural barrier. As the stormtroopers made their way through the gaps in rocks to the east and west, she waved the two other units to climb down and circle round behind them, turning her own unit and spreading them out to face the way they had just climbed and the intended destination of the enemy.

Hold your positions. Wait for my order,” she whispered into her comm. Surprise and timing were crucial. She could still hear the reports of the battle continuing in the other groups, including updates from Admiral Ackbar several miles up, coming in on her earpiece, Blake relaying information backwards and forwards. She kept one ear on their status, confident in her team and satisfied that things were, more or less, going to plan.

Just in case you needed to know, your black and white friends are about to converge on your position.” Han's voice sounded in her ear. She smiled. He was probably watching her display in his cockpit in her absence.

Thanks. We've got it covered,” she assured him, quietly.

Just wanted you to know, I'm keeping an eye on you,” he assured her.

Good to know,” she whispered back as the first stormtroopers appeared through the vegetation. She waited until she could see most of them, a unit of some twenty troopers, watching them searching round for the missing but expected rebels. “Teams one and two, move now.” she ordered, waving her arm to instruct her own team to move forward. They swiftly moved out of their cover positions and pointed their assault rifles at the enemy troops as their companions moved in behind, leaving the stormtroopers surprised, surrounded and with no escape. Before long they were disarmed and secured. Satisfied that their prisoners were not likely to cause any more trouble, she checked on the progress of the other teams.

Luke, what's your status?” She held her hand on her earpiece, pacing backwards and forwards across the baron patch of dirt on the outskirts of the jungle.

Kobar and I have this lot under control,” he answered, the exertion of battle making him out of breath. “I don't think they'll hold out much longer.” She could hear the fighting in her earpiece from where she stood, the familiar sound of his lightsaber buzzing in the background. The sound of it fortified her, somehow made her feel secure. “Help Madine,” Luke told her. Yes, Madine had just one team against his group of enemy troops and Luke had Kobar.

General Madine, we can assist you from this side,” Leia stated.

That would be good, Leia. We have them almost to the edge of the jungle but they still have some heavy artillery. They're proving to be tough customers. You'll have to watch yourselves.”

Copy that, General. Commander. We'll regroup and head west to intercept this second group of enemy soldiers. They are still in possession of artillery so we'll have to watch ourselves. Let's try to take it down if possible. Let's also try to remember this is a capture and retrieval exercise.”

Yes, ma'am,” the commander replied, turning to gather his men ready to move out to their selected co-ordinates.

Han?” She pressed her earpiece, looking at the sky for signs of the Falcon.

I'm here,” he confirmed.

While you're keeping an eye on me, can you keep me informed of the east group of enemy troops? I'm going to assist Madine and I don't have my tactical display for their location.” There was a short silence, then his voice returned.

They're about three miles south of you. If you head east towards Luke, you'll intercept them.”

Thanks. Commander? Let's move out.” She joined the commander at the head of the peacekeeper squad. It would be a long trek and they would have to keep a steady pace to get there in time. She estimated it would take the enemy troops about an hour to reach the edge of the jungle, if they kept an average pace and, as they were being hampered by Madine's unit, maybe longer.

The frosty air was starting to feel quite warm now and her flack jacket heavy on her shoulders. Hugging the edge of the jungle just into the baron stretch of terrain before the rocks, she was nevertheless glad of the camouflage. Blake's unfailing attention to preparation in supplying her with her kit from the Vohemar that morning could not be over appreciated. As they came within half a mile of Luke's location, she could hear the laser fire from his continuing combat and, above that, just to the south of her, the frightening sound of heavy cannon fire. She looked up sharply as an X-Wing flew low over the jungle canopy and let off a hail of fire. Presumably, they were attempting to take out the cannons. She looked round at the terrain for a good vantage point for her team to settle in, spotting a set of small hillocks a few hundred yards east.

Commander, we'll head for that rise, spread out behind it for cover and wait for our friends to walk into our sites,” she instructed and he moved the troops into position. They hunkered down to wait. “Madine?” she said into her comm. “We're in position. Keep your advance steady.”

Copy that, Leia,” General Madine answered.

The sound of guns was quite loud now. It was a matter of minutes before she would be able to see the first line of enemy troops. Indeed, as she squinted into the undergrowth to catch the earliest glimpse she could of them, a line of them appeared, at a jog. She had expected them to be surprised by the presence of another Alliance unit but the movement of the troops told her they weren't and it was confirmed by their rapid deployment of a large cannon, steadied by two troopers who came to a crouching kneel either side of it, pointing it directly at them. Her heart leapt into her mouth. There was no way they could avoid it.

23. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016
    Chapter 42

Get down!” Leia yelled at her unit, flattening herself on the ground as low as possible behind the hillock she had been crouching near. The rest of the unit did the same. She braced herself for the inevitable pelting of laser bolts and heard the expected rapid gunfire. No bolts hit where they were sheltered however. She looked up, hearing a familiar roar of engines just as the Millennium Falcon swept across the edge of the jungle, so low its down draft bent the vegetation tips, firing its underside guns and obliterating the cannon, its operators and the accompanying troopers who had been brave or foolish enough to make an appearance.

All clear, Sweetheart,” Han's confident voice sounded in her earpiece.

Honey, excellent timing as usual,” she replied in a relieved voice.

I hate to be late for a party,” he said jubilantly.

Not wanting to waste an opportunity or hang around for another round of cannon fire, Leia decided to go on the offensive. She gathered the unit round her, crouching down behind the rise while she briefed them.

We're not going to wait for that to happen again. We're going to do what we do best. Spread out and move into the trees. Make yourselves invisible and use stealth to pick them off one by one.” Looking up at the faces to make sure they were clear as to what was expected, she received a collection of understanding nods. This was what they were trained for. This is what they were good at.

As she rose and came to stand on the top of the hillock to lead her team into the jungle, she glanced sideways at Luke, less than half a mile away. He was standing on a similar rise, his unit all around, engaging their group of enemy. He looked impressive, his robes flowing as he wielded his lightsaber in smooth sweeping movements, blocking laser bolts and sending them back where they had come from. She imagined what it must have been like many years ago, during the Clone Wars, battlefields full of Jedi as impressive as him. This is how the Jedi would have fought then, on the ground, a formidable and awe inspiring sight. He paused, breathing hard and held his saber vertically a moment, then he turned and looked through the dust at his sister, heading her skilled stealth combat unit, weapons in hand. The twins against the Empire. A shared understanding of destination carried between them and Leia knew it was an image she would remember for a long time to come.

In the Falcon, Han kept one eye on Leia's tactical holo-display, watching her position. He wanted to keep the Falcon close in case she needed him again. He didn't like her in the field. They had fought side by side many times but all the time he couldn't see her, he felt unsettled. It was unnecessary and he knew it; she was more than capable, he was just happier in the comfort of her presence.

He wondered how the battle was going above. He could hear the radio chatter over the comms but with everything else coming in on several channels, distinguishing one from the other was tricky. He put in a direct call to Lando for an update, even though Blake would be co-ordinating everything from her base.

We've got them on the run, old buddy.” Lando's jolly voice informed. “If you ask me, it was a foregone conclusion. They are out-gunned from Ackbar's warship. Turning up with one small star destroyer though seems odd. I don't know what they had planned for Takodana had we not been here to mess it up.” He sounded thoughtful, like it had been playing on his mind. He was a shrewd businessman and could usually tell when something didn't smell right. Then he laughed. “We all seem to be back in the thick of it. When I was doing the accounts for the mine last week, I didn't think I would be using tie-fighters as target practice a few days later. The princess is very good at putting all her pieces into play. Have you ever thought of introducing her to Sabaac?” Han and Chewbacca exchanged a look.

Funny you should say that,” Han returned sardonically “There's a story to tell you later. I wouldn't suggest it to her though if I were you,” he warned. Lando laughed again.

She'll set Chewbacca on me again. My neck hasn't been quite the same since Bespin.” Han frowned quizzically at Chewbacca. Chewbacca waved it away with a quiet growl and turned back to his console. That was obviously another story for later.

Letting Lando get back to the battle, Han turned the Falcon to make another pass over Leia's location. He flew low over the rocks from the direction of Al-Adreen, looking out of the view-screen and scanning the ground to pick her out. She wasn't hard to spot, standing on top of the rise, blaster in hand, her peacekeeper units behind her. He saw Luke too, caught them both glance at each other before Leia raised her arm and brought it down again in a forward action to move her unit into the trees. He did not share their unique connection but immediately had a sense of being part of something bigger in that brief moment. Chewbacca growled gentle concern, snapping Han out of his reflectiveness.

I'm fine, Chewie. Let's organise a landing spot. I don't think it will take Luke and Leia long to clear this lot up.” He headed back out in the direction of the settlement. With all this imperial air traffic he imagined, the excuse for a space port at Al-Adreen would be all but empty.

#

Leia's team moved through the jungle like silent predators, spread out, invisible. Before the collection of stormtroopers and security force officers knew what was happening or where the threat was coming from, their numbers had dwindled one by one, the peacekeepers slowly picking away at their edges, until the last few had no choice but to surrender. When they had all been silently incapacitated and restrained, the stormtroopers separated from the security forces, Leia joined Madine. His team were tired from hours of fighting but had sustained few losses and the injured were being attended to by medics. She expressed her relief that injuries seemed to be manageable. Getting them back to Thyfeera's bacta tanks would quickly heal them.

It's good you arrived when you did, Leia,” Madine expressed his relief in return. “The men were all starting to get tired. It's been tougher than I expected.”

I would have been here sooner but we had a small problem to take care of,” she explained. “Let's get this lot to a holding area ready for transport and we'll rendezvous with Luke and General Kobar. Madine nodded and moved away to organise the transfer of the prisoners. Leia pressed her comms earpiece. “Luke. Our opponents are under control. Do you need assistance?”

No. We were just heading your way with our prisoners,” he confirmed. Leia breathed out. The ground battle was over. If Admiral Ackbar was as lucky, and she imagined that, with his warship and two squadrons of X-Wings, he was, the mission would be a relative success.

That is good news,” she replied. “We'll rendezvous at point 65 and then prepare the prisoners for transport.”

Copy that,” Luke confirmed and signed off.

Blake?” Leia switched to Blake's channel. “All the ground teams will rendezvous at point 65. We need to transfer the prisoners. Can you identify a landing area for transport ships and then let me know the co-ordinates?”

Yes, ma'am. It's already taken care of. Captain Solo is waiting for you there and I am instructing the Vohemar and the Talon to meet you as we speak.” Leia raised her eyebrows. Before long Blake would be taking over from her.

Excellent work, Blake. Send the details to General Madine's datapad; I have nothing with me,” she praised. “Oh, and thank 3PO too. I expect he has been working diligently.” She had a quiet smile to herself at the image of 3PO as acting general in the command centre, his golden hands operating several communications consoles and displays at once, taking his new role very seriously. For all Han teased and berated 3PO for his pomposity and blustering, when he had an important task to perform, the droid could be amazingly focussed.

I am pleased to have been of service, Mistress Leia,” 3PO's voice interrupted. “and, I must say, it is nice to hear an expression of gratitude. It's so rare that droids are appreciated for the work we do.” Leia raised one eyebrow. “I think I have found a talent for this sort of thing, if I do say so myself.” She sighed as he continued. What a shame droids didn't need to stop for breath. “In fact, I think this might be a new direction for me. I might investigate it further should my superior expertise as a protocol droid no longer be required.” Leia had to laugh.

Well, I'm glad you have enjoyed yourself 3PO. I will certainly bear that in mind.”

Right,” Blake said, reservedly. “That said. We'll be in contact again when you get to the rendezvous point. Blake out.” Blake cut the connection before 3PO could begin again.

Watching the Alliance soldiers marshalling the prisoners in the direction of the rocks, Leia tapped her comms again.

Han? We're all done here. I'm going to meet up with Luke and then make my way to you.” She waited expectantly to hear his voice.

Got it,” he said. “We'll put the kettle on.” She grinned and shook her head. Always the joker.

#

Her team met Luke's at the rocky barrier, gathering their prisoners in a group. There were only about twenty security force prisoners once they had put them all together. Leia stood with Luke, Madine, Kobar and the peacekeeper commander and looked over them all.

I suppose it's a good thing there are so few,” she mused, turning to the commander. “They're in your charge now Commander. Use the Vohemar and transport them back. Liaise with Commander Blake and do what you need to do to treat them.”

What shall we do with the others?” Madine asked, looking bleakly at the stormtroopers. Kobar's wattle inflated.

After what they've done. I'm tempted to leave them here to rot,” he stated in no uncertain terms. Leia was firm.

I understand how you feel, General but we can't behave the same way. They will be under arrest and the admiral can take them back to Chandrila to face justice. They are as much pawns in this game as we are.” She squeezed her lips together. “Let's move out,” she ordered, marching off in the direction of the landing area and the waiting ships.

Luke jogged to catch up with her. He matched her stride, looking sideways at her grim but determined expression. It told him so much about her state of mind. Her emotions bubbled under the surface but her sense of justice resolute.

Leia, are you alright?” he asked, gentle concern in his voice. She did not look at him, just continued walking. The irony of his question was not lost on her.

You already know the answer to that,” she replied.

You've done a good job today,” he reassured. “You made the right decision. I admire how you always remain so fair despite the temptation. I understand how difficult it is.” She frowned a little and examined his face as they walked side by side, considering his words. It was difficult. The events of the last few days had been horrific enough for her to want to blast everyone responsible off the face of whatever planet they chose to name. Luke had faced this a few times himself; facing Vader, facing Palpatine, perhaps even facing her imminent death. She was glad of his presence to calm her down. She breathed heavily through her nose and she began to relax.

I am very proud of you too,” she looked slightly embarrassed. “You were very impressive. Your skills have really progressed over the last few months. I was concerned I'd taken you out of your comfort zone but now I'm pleased my instincts were correct,” Luke smiled.

It felt sort of natural,” he confessed. “Like I'd been doing it for years. Do you think this is how it must have felt years ago?” He thought about his research, his reading into the spectacular sounding battles during the Clone Wars and before, where Jedi fought side by side in their thousands. He wondered whether it would be like that again one day.

I imagine so and it will be again. You are going to be a powerful Jedi and a great teacher, Luke.” She took his hand as they walked. “I'm glad we found each other.” Luke was pleased too. He loved Leia's company, her tender comfort when he was troubled, their stimulating philosophical conversations. They kept each other's counsel, an invaluable gift when they had both been through so much in the last few years, each supporting the other with the burden of their terrible shared legacy.

His mind drifted from these thoughts to that of her training, trying to imagine her on the battlefield, a lightsaber instead of a blaster. The images went blank almost like he'd been shoved hard. He gaped at her.

Did you just push me out of your head?” Leia walked a little faster he thought. “Leia?” He insisted on a reply, smiling at the realisation that her behaviour meant he was right.

You're imagining things,” she replied curtly.

Oh, no. I didn't imagine that,” he said, adamantly.

You're imagining things that you shouldn't be imagining. I'm not becoming a Jedi and that's final.” He so wanted to thrash this conversation out with her until it was thoroughly discussed. They were never in the right situation. Always, she cut him off.

You have the same power, Leia and I think you know it,” he challenged. She stopped dead and turned to face him.

And what if I do? Do I have to use it? Do I have to announce it to everyone. Is it written somewhere that all those with Force power must become Jedi?” Luke studied her face. She wasn't being aggressive or challenging, these were genuine questions. Perhaps she was calculating whether it was yet another responsibility she had a duty to fulfil.

No. I guess not,” he confirmed. She nodded, carefully considering.

Then, I choose not to use any power I may, or may not, have unless I absolutely have no choice,” she declared, pausing for her decision to sink in and then continuing to walk. He looked after her, a weary and frustrated expulsion of air escaping through his lips.

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi Suzannah—just dropping in to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this story, but am just in the process of catching up. I'm transferring chapters 39–42 into an ebook so I can more easily read them in bulk, and hopefully I'll be able to comment more fully soon. But I'm still here, and haven't forgotten! :)

25. Suzannah.Pearce

Sep 22, 2016

Thank you for letting me know. I realise people are busy so please don't feel you have to comment immediately. It's nice that you do. I keep posting each week - there's not much left now. Thanks again for taking the time. [face_love]

Findswoman likes this.