main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

W.VA Lightning Strike! *ZZzzzzzaaaapppp!!!!!*

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by -Fettish-, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Fettish-

-Fettish- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Lightning hit VERY close to our house this evening!!! It hit one of two tall pine trees between our house and the neighbor's house. It split the tree from top to bottom (60ft) and then traveled along a chain that the neighbor's dog was attached to! The dog ran into it's plastic doghouse and that's what saved it. The chain touched the ground and the electricity went into the ground instead of on to the dog. That's one lucky pooch! Anyway, our small barn started to smoulder and smoke really bad. Mike, me, and the neighbor and his wife had to drag hoses out and soak the roof. The shed was fried too, there's no power in there now and it smells like burned rubber and wood inside. Finally, the jolt traveled along a wire to the house and knocked out half our power. Luckily, the wiring is not fried....it just blew light bulbs and such... Anyway, it was quite a scary experience... You should have HEARD the sound! You can see the line down the tree trunk where the lightning split it. It is leaning to one side now and will have to be cut down before it falls...

-Fettish *is appalled*

2. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    UPDATE: The lightning strike fried all wiring and appliances in a certain area of our house. This includes our washing machine, which produced sparks and smoke when I tried to use it. Lovely......we can in no way, shape, or form afford a new washing machine. Guess it's back to hauling my unmentionables all over creation to the laundromat!!!!!!

*censored enraged outburst*

-Fettish

3. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Depending on your insurance company, couldn't you get your washing machine (and anything else damaged) replaced through your home owners insurance? Unless your policy considers lighting an act of god... I would think you could.

Also, some of your appliances/electronics may be fixable just be replacing the fuse instead of the whole thing.

That really sounds like it was frightening. At least the dog didn't get electrocuted I guess...

Nicky

4. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
  5. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    Well, due to some last minute unforssen debt recently incurred, my hubby and I were obliged to temporarily drop the part of our insurance covering our household possessions. Therefore, nothing in the house is covered... I did not fathom such a disaster occuring...

We are discovering other fried appliances as the hours pass...

-Fettish *is beyond the definition of furious*

6. MistressDragonFox

MistressDragonFox Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2004
    We should hold a car wash to raise money for a new one!!!!! I have one every Sat. for a while between band and cheerleading... :(! Sad to hear though, I'll think of something to do to save the day!

7. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    Awwww... How sweet... *feels awkward* But don't you dare go worrying about my mess. I just post stuff on here to vent, I do not expect assistance... I'm doing laundry at my mother's today, and hubby is is going to try to find new parts for the washing machine... Everything will work out...I'm just glad nobody (even the neighbor's dog) was hurt.

-Fettish :)

8. MistressDragonFox

MistressDragonFox Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2004
    ~Huggles Fettish~
    No prob! Outlander's look out for others...!

9. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    A good friend of the family is already searching around for a second hand washer for us. He's one of those types that can unearth such things in the blink of an eye. I hope he finds something sensible...

-Fettish *appreciates all the help and support*

10. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    You might also want to try joining Freecycle (www.freecycle.org). It's a Yahoo group where you can post things that you want to give away or are in need of. It's all free - in fact you get scolded if you offer to pay or put a price tag on something. I've gotten some great stuff so far from Rochester Freecyclers. It looks like the closest chapter to you (Charleston, WV) is a couple hours away, but you never know... might be worth a shot so replace some of your smaller appliances.

11. -Fettish-

May 7, 2003
    Very cool! Thanks for the info, I'll look into it!

:) Fettish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.