main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Lightsabe Building Class on Sunday March 16th

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by zhi-don_aquintas, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    ok...here we go again. lightsaber class is this sunday at 130pm at the shop. for directions to the shop PM me and register for the class. you will need to buy your own parts and print off your instructions for this class. all tools and guidance from the resident engineer will be provided.

the small green master jedi will oversee the class as usual.

"listen to master zhi-don, you should...yes...not a jedi will you be until your own lightsaber you have built"

2. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Are any members from other fanforce chapters invited, or do you have limited space?

3. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of room for other FF members if they wish to come.

4. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    other fan force members are more than welcome, just PM me for directions and registration.

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I am going to be there for sure, and hopefully will be completing my first saber!

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    what is the price range of this class? what do we need to bring, etc.?

7. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Well, this is my second class, finishing up the light saber. basically I printed out the instructions and picture online, and got the product list and purchased all the parts. That cost about $20-$30. Then I just showed up. THe only cost is that of the material used to make the saber.

8. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    to all newcomers: welcome! go to the following link: http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com

pick the design you want or combination of designs. print the parts list and instructions. include pictures. go and buy your parts. bring everything with you to the shop. PM me for directions. we will provide tools, help and free comments from the resident engineer.

dont expect to finish in one session. be prepared to have fun.

9. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Yes, that site Don mentions is a good place to go if you're making your first lightsaber.

Brian, who's site it is, posts at the Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy message board, which is another one of my online hangouts. It gives him immense pleasure to see one of his creations, or a variation of one, posted on the internet, knowing he's helped yet another person build their own lightsaber. :D He's got some good designs there and you can always modify and personalize the one you choose to do.

I, myself, am into custom designs, but I did go there to get inspiration for the grips for my latest lightsaber I built a couple of months ago.

I'm only going to bring Don the custom EL blade kit I'm making for him and to help him figure out how he's going to install it into his new saber he's going to be building.
    :cool:

10. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    news update: i have found a place that will chrome plastic parts such as sink knobs. however this does not come cheap. a standard sink knob costs $40 including the cap.

oh well....at least we know it can be done.

11. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    So Lori, you figured out which inverter to get already ? Let me know, I would be interested in your kits.

12. darth_avery

darth_avery Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    ok...so what happens is the schedule for the lightsaber workshop conflicts with the schedule of someone who wants to build one...aka:ME!

this weekend i'm in san diego for a soccer tournement.
    infact right now is 'big tounament season' for all major soccer clubs....i'm bummed.

13. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    hey DA....for you we can schedule some time....when is good for you?

14. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Well, Xeno, I found an inverter that's pretty bright as long as it's powering only about 7'-8' of EL wire, and it's pretty small, too. Those IF-4 inverters, like what you got excited about over at ASAP, won't fit into a 1 1/4" tube anyway. I tried one totally stripped down to just the inverter itself, because that's what I was going to use in my lightdagger, which is a 1 1/4" tube, but it won't quite fit, which is why I'll be using one of those Pipsqueak inverters in that, too. I've got a few more of those on order, since the one I bought to try is going into Don's kit I'm making for him, and I should get them next week.

We'll have to discuss it on AIM.

15. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    Oh, nvm, I was over excited... I think it could do.

16. darth_avery

darth_avery Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    wednesdays and Fridays in the afternoon...kinda inconvenient for ppl who work 9-5

17. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    I am going to have to cancel on this one, last min plans changes.... unavoidable. sorry !

18. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I could have sworn that I checked this board between 12:00 and 12:30, and I didn't see your post, Tracy!

I think Don probably checked, as well. Too bad you couldn't make it.

Don and I spent 3 hours playing with sound boards. And I wired up his new EL blade kit for him, though just temporarily, he wants to look for some different switches. I also wired up one of the sound boards (also temporarily) from one of his toy sabers to work outside of the original saber so that it can go into his new saber he'll be making.

19. zhi-don_aquintas

Jul 17, 2002
    lightsaber update: i now have the completed EL blade and sound system for my new lightsaber. i printed off some blueprints to get an idea of what i needed. we discovered that the sound system takes one kind of switch than the EL system. so i need to order 2 new switches. i also need the emitter housing the my friend the engineer is trying to get. i will also add 1 led so i can tell if the EL blade is on. lori did a great job putting it all together today. thanks lori you are the best. i am also having her make a blue EL blade for me also.

apparently some guys who do star wars fan documentaries are want to film the build a lightsaber class. more to come on this.

next class to be determined later, however next saturday or sunday looks good.

20. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    Order a new switch ? Lori, you used Mike's switches right or did you use your own ?

21. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Xeno, try not to make assumptions about something you don't know about. [face_plain]

The Lightech switch works fine on the blade kit, Don would just like to see if he can get one like that in red.

The Lightech switch won't work, however, with the sound board. We discovered that it needs a different type of switch.

Today Britt sent me the pictures that he took of my blades at our meeting last Sunday. I don't know what happened to the red one, I thought he took one of that one. I'll have to ask him to do it again. ?[face_plain]

For those of you who didn't make, here are the pics, that I cropped to just show the blades, and changed to jpegs so that I could upload them to my album:
    My EL Blades

Thanks again, Britt!
    :D

22. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    Maybe the sound board needs a rocker.
    Or a toggle. You never know.

23. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    No, we did figure out what type of switch it needs. A push button momentary-contact switch. There are other styles of switches like that, but the push button is the ideal one for this use.

24. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
  25. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    No filming of our group for documentary puposes will take place. If you have any questions please PM and I will be happy to speak with you about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.