LightSaber Battle's In Webster NY

Discussion in 'Rochester, NY' started by Emperor-Paulpatine, May 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor-Paulpatine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Last Sunday I saw an epic battle between John Adams and Todd Washburn.....Very kool saber battle....Todd how do feel after John beat the christ outta ya? : )
  2. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ha ha ha ha .. Yes! Bow before me, TEC .. the Reptoid High Commander, and Jedi on the side.

:)

J
  3. Zaxis Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm a bit sore still. For a day or two, I felt like an old man with arthritis. Both my hands got wacked full "Force" with a very hard fiberglass saber blade!

I'm not down for the 10, though. A rematch is in the works ;-)
  4. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK your on .. rematch next weekend!

OR better yet .. we make a couple more *props* and get a three way battle going.

J
  5. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    In case you want to see what we have so far here's the link.

John And Todd Saber Battle .mov

It's verey scetchy and a preliminary edit. I just squished in some sounds and had a bit of fun. the point was to show Todd what I had in mind for sound and editing of our battle. Next Todd will add the special effects and I'll re-edit it afterwords. Hopefully it'll look really kool. Then we'll just do another one and another and another ...

J
  6. Zaxis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ahhhhhh! I can't add the saber FX! There are too many frames in which the saber blades do not show up well, or even at all. In a lot of frames that the blades do show up, but I can?t tell where they start from (near the hilt) very well. Rather than spend a lot of time on guess work and possibly re-do frames over and over and over and over so that the saber FX look right, I have to abort this project before I start.

Well, actually I already did start ? I got all the frames prepped and ready to add the FX to; eliminated any duplicate frames and converted them in to something that I can add FX to in PS? but I there?s not just enough image data to do this right.

Sorry! We need to see if it?s possible to capture at a better quality or just call this an important lesson in shooting saber battles. The blades NEED to show up well in EVERY frame. Damn shadows!
  7. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ahhh ... ya wuss .. just do it anyways. :)

The blades are straight lines to the hilt .. just fudge it and it'll work out just fine.

Use the previous frame as a reference .. we spent too much time getting the shots to *waste* it.

Plus .. if we cannot find a way to *rotoscope* the shots, we;ll never get a good abttle scene shot .. thats all we have right now is what you got .. thats how they'll be.

just try it and see what it loox like.

J

8. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    See we started corriographing a new battle with Craigo-Fett and Paulpatine. Craigo uses a duel bladed saber we just bought today, and Paulpatine and I come at him with single blades .. we have figured out about a few seconds of the battle so far and two different camera angles. Craigo is also thinking of making some for himself that are shorter hilts and shorter blades. IF he does this soon, we;ll try a 4 way saber battle.

So we have to be able to do the effects or all this is for nought. (if thats the right word)

J
  9. Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OMG! Where in Webster is this happening? I might be able to stop by some time and watch filming or something - is that ok?
  10. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Of course you can. We usually get together every Sunday and do some test films.

We are involved in production of a Fan Film, and right now we are doing continuous tests and such for the project. IF you want to come bye and meet us and participate in the test shots, feel free.

J
  11. TheEmperorsHand Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hi! i live in webster... where r u guys gonna be at?
  12. Craigo-Fett Jedi Knight

star 1
    we usually do all our test shots behind our apt. building at country manor apts. on phillips road. qui-gon lives in the first building when you pull in, right behind the mobile on the corner of phillips and ridge. but this sunday we might do it at a park in webster. i live in a different building in the complex.
  13. Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hmm...i think i know where you're talking about. of course i could be wrong, which is not suprising b/c i have no sense of direction and i can't drive(legally, that is)...
  14. Zaxis Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok. I?ve been working with the footage from the ?Great Webster Light Saber Battle?. The analogue captured footage was not salvageable because I couldn?t rotoscope in the light saber blades... because I couldn?t *see* the blades most of the time, period. The DV capture wasn?t *that* much better, the blades are still very difficult to see in a lot of frames and I?m kind of guessing where they are at times, but I?m going through with the video.

I should have the visuals complete in the next week or two. John will probably be adding the sound FX later. The video has already been a great learning tool; in terms of generating light saber visual FX. We learned what doesn?t work so well and what might work better in the future. The biggest mistake we made is the color of the physical blades themselves. We painted them silver (I think that was the only color paint we had at the time) so they would stand out and be easy to see when adding the glow FX. BUT that particular color blended in with the surrounding when in the shade ? so much so, that I literally can?t find the blades at all in a lot of the frames and have to kind of guess where to add the FX.

Anyway, the video should be ready for critiquing soon. I?m not sure if I like the look of it so far, but I?m very hard on my own work and also disappointed that the DV capture wasn?t what I expected, technically. John thinks it?s looking good so far, so I?m pressing ahead. If it looked like crap, he?d let me know.
  15. TheEmperorsHand Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    this sounds so cool! i kno where that is too. mara goes to school at mercy and im going there next year, so.... we're closeby
  16. Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    thanx, EH... well, just so you all know, i hate mercy. :)
  17. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Todd asked for another shot of test footage. I'm thinking of modifying the *prop* sabers a bit and adding wooden *blades*. This way they will be more sturdy and won't *bend*. I am thinking we should go to a park this time just for fun. Maybe Webster Park .. plus more people from the club can meet us and perhaps join in a battle, if they wish to .. OR just watch us film. :)

* see my smiley worx Craigo * :p

* but lets see if that one sticks his tongue out. :)

So Webster Park last parking lot on left Sunday Morning around say .. 10am.

J
  18. Craigo-Fett Jedi Knight

star 1
    r u nuts!!! you know i dont get up till arround 1 or 2. 10am, whats that. i dont think ive ever seen 10am.......... :D
  19. TheEmperorsHand Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hmmm.... i dunno.... kinda early :)
  20. SithTazReborn Jedi Padawan

It is I....formely Jedi Taz Scott B...but I have shed the ways of the light and embraced Emperor Paulpatine and his dark search for more beer. For all the GRASWFC guys, its Scott B, the "baby" of the group who always is on the hunt for more G.I.Joe!
    But now I am ready to step into the ring...anytime...anywhere....a battle of lightsabers!
  21. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Plans have changed. IF you plan on coming to our next Saber test (Sunday June 10th) please come to my place in the Country Manor in Webster at around 11am, instead of the Webster Park. e-mail me if you need directions. johnadams@johnsgeneric.com

thanx

John
  22. Qui-GonJohn Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well Paul and I shot a brief battle scene, and passed it along to Todd. We broke the sabers though. Making them out of 1" diameter wood (broom handles) seemed to make them a lot stiffer than the fiberglass blades. We had to modify the hilts a bit so they could be attached and hold onto the new blades. However after repeated use, and Paul's overwhelming strength, they broke in half. So maybe we will be force to go with metal blades, and be more careful with hitting each other. :p

J
  23. Craigo-Fett Jedi Knight

star 1
    YESSS!! metal blades!! now youll see some destruction!! :)
  24. Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hehe omg, craigo-fett, i can never get up that early. usually my family harasses me into getting up around 11, though. i just realized that my soccer games this summer might be around there. where's state road school?
  25. Craigo-Fett Jedi Knight

star 1
    state road school is on state road. :)
    actually is like on the corner of state and philips road. if your on 250 going towards perinton, you take a left at the second light after turning from ridge road. its really small. or take ridge till philips and turn north. at the end of philips is state road. take left and its right there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.