main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber building workshop info/signup

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by jedi5150, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi all...

I'm working on putting together the lightsaber building workshop info. My idea is to present you with ideas and design examples, let you pick the saber, buy the parts, and then we'll put them together here. You can build a nice lightsaber hilt starting at about $6.00.

I'm working on taking pics of some of the hardware sabers I've built so you can look at them. In the mean time, you can visit the sabers from the big yellow box website at

http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/

On this site he shows several sabers that can be built from home depot parts and gives instructions. I haven't built any of his designs, but most look pretty nice and easy.

His website has bandwidth problems, so it's often difficult to get to because it's so popular.

Post here if you have questions or to sign up...

In addition, I have molds of a few parts I can cast up, like bubble displays, buttons, activators, end caps, etc.

If you want original trilogy style grips, I have a floor mat from Walmart that we can still cut a few from, or several can pitch in and buy another one ($17.00 I think, which can get about 10 sets of grips if you cut straight). Or, if you want really nice ones, you can get many accessories from John Shields at

http://www.blast-tech.com/

John's a great guy, his products, delivery time, and customer service are top-notch.

I'm currently planning on having our first workshop June 3.

Post here if you have any questions or to sign up. As soon as I have my pics up I'll post here.

Doug

2. BithLord42

BithLord42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    Count me in -
    Ryan A.

3. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I'm there, too, man.

4. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    First off...date correction: June 7, not June 3 (that's a Saturday)...

Second, I've put up some pics and descriptions of what I've put together (and still have to take pics of). They're at:

http://jedi5150.fateback.com/props/hardware_sabers

I've done each for $20.00 or less.

Let me know if you have ???'s....

Doug

5. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I've posted a pic of the saber I helped Neil build a while back..it's very Vader-inspired, and cost him about $6.50...

http://jedi5150.fateback.com/props/sabers/club-members/neil-nebeker-1.jpg

I've also used up the last of my casting resin making "greeblies" for you to use on your sabers...I have a few d-ring mounts, vader anh "bulb releases", vader ROTJ door catches, bubble displays, luke anh buttons, and a few other pieces. I'll get a pic posted later...

Anobody else coming?

Doug

6. Marvincade

Marvincade Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    Howdy doo folks,
    I think it is high time we discuss building a couple of electro-luminescent (EL) blades. My idea is to combine financial resources to create two blades, one good and one evil. The donors to the project would have access to the finish products for props in fan films or live presentations. Rotoscoping aside, a couple of high tech props has club recruitment potential. At this point in the game having a discussion has the advantage of being free.

Alan...

7. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Having a lightsaber that actually glows...sounds like a wicked cool idea to me. I'll pitch in.

8. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    EL could be cool...

Sorry I haven't posted back in here sooner, been all tied up finishing up "Reepo" and my modem is being wacky....

Anyway, just thought I'd let everybody know that Home Depot has 1.5" x 12" chrome drain extensions on sale for $1.00!!! That's a great price, and that's what you'll need for your saber body....

I'll try to get a list of other generic parts/supplies you'll need soon...

Doug

9. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
  10. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Here's a shopping list:

-Saber Body:

1.5" diameter 12" long chrome drain pipe - Home Depot (on sale right now for $1.00)

-Tailcap/pommel:

For the tailcap you can use a 1 3/8" hole plug from Ace Hardware, a 1 gallon milk jug cap, a 1.5" fender washer from Ace, or a sinkknob from Home Depot (check to make sure it will fit on the end of the pipe). Or use your imagination.

-Emitter:

Every saber has an emitter...the end where the blade comes out. The easiest thing to do is to cut it at an angle or cut an s-curve in it (like Luke's ANH saber). I have templates to print out to use to cut the s-curve using a dremel tool (which I have). I have instructions to make a Vader ROTJ style emitter, but it takes time (and about $12.00 in supplies). I'm still working on resin-casting it, but it's not working very well.

-Belt Attachment:

You'll need a way to hang it on your belt. The original trilogy used D-Rings. You can get D-ring assemblies at Home Depot or Ace in the Picture Hanging section. The ones they have aren't exactly screen-accurate, but can be made more-so if you pick up a pack of 1" d-rings at Walmart (in the fabric section) and we replace the D-Ring on the assembly with a walmart d-Ring. A pack of 4 d-rings at Walmart is about $0.80. If you use a d-ring, you should also pick up a belt clip. I use a key clip from Walmart (back in automotive, where they make keys). These work well.

You can also use a cell phone quick release belt clip (you know, with the little round knob on the phone that clips into the belt clip). This would be more along the lines of what was done in the prequels. I think you can find these at Walmart.

-Grips

I've got plenty of original trilogy style grip material to go around. If you don't want original trilogy grips, use your imagination. Other people have used rubber o-rings, bicycle grips, etc. You could also make bigger yoda-style grips from PVC pipe (I've got some).

-Greeblies

Obviously, you'll need some buttons, knobs, etc. I've got resin-casts of a bunch of these style items, or you can use screws and screw caps (Ace Hardware), lamp screws, thumbscrews, etc. It may be a good idea to rummage through the parts bins at Ace hardware.

-Other supplies you'll need:

100 grit and 220 grit sandpaper (1-2 sheets each) - Dollar store, walmart, etc
    1 bottle quick-tight super glue - Walmart
    X-acto style hobby knife (if you've got one, bring it)
    dremel tool with cutting discs (if you have one. I have one we can all share).

If you're going to paint any parts (like emitters, tailcaps, buttons, etc) you'll need:
    1 can of spray primer
    1 can of flat black spray paint (or whatever color you want)
    1 can of clear spray paint

Walmart has some really good spray paint for $0.97 per can that works well for this, it dries fast, etc.

I've got 1 can of Krylon original chrome for painting endcaps chrome. This is good paint except if you handle the part a lot, it will dull. We may need to pick up another can depending on what all we paint with it. It's about $4.00/can

I've got plenty of screws, a tap and die set, a drill press, a dremel tool, a pipe cutter, hacksaw, jeweler's hacksaw, files, razor saw, etc that I will share.

That's it for now, I'll post more as I think of it.

11. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Here's a pic of another custom I did this last week for Levi. Click on it to view in the correct proportions

[image=http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/j5150-custom-2.jpg]

12. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    I had something come up this weekend, and it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to make it. I still want to build a hilt, though...

13. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    OK, so is anybody coming?

14. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    The lightsaber building get-together was a blast. Coery and Erik's sabers turned out really cool, and I think Ryan and I are on our way to having pretty cool sabers, too. We should definitely do this again. Anyone interested in the least bit should do it. It's inexpensive, fun, and you actually feel like you've accomplished something afterwards.

15. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I'm glad everybody enjoyed it! I was worried about the logistics because I hadn't done this before, but it turned otu really well....I've got some pics I'll get posted in the next little while and link to them...

Doug

16. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    yeah, my saber is pretty freaking cool!

17. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
  18. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    O.K.

Now that I'm puttin' together a saber, I think I need a costume to go with it. So, is there gonna be a costuming workshop?

19. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm game. My sewing machine is ready!! :) Anyone else?!?!

20. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Count me in, I have a sewing machine I can borrow. YIPEEEEEEE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.