main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY COMPETITION 4 (Updated 11/09 - Entry Deadline Over)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Sage_Halcyon, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    cool, i'll enter, now i do have a question.
    one: do we have to be in costume, because i don't have any actual costumes at my desposal at this time

if i think of any other questions i'll ask.....

2. Dako

Dako Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Ah, so the entire fight from three angles. Then, for the final, we can shoot from as many as we want? Alright...

3. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    oh wait..... i just noticed it has to be quicktime...... i don't think i'll be entering then, the camera that i have will only inport into avi, and i don't have any way of converting it...... grrr...

4. Zarbid

Zarbid Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2005
    I Know I'm new, so obviously people don't know me, and I havn't earned any respect from anyone etc etc so I apologise for saying this, but 2 weeks is absolutly **** for a deadline, look how many people already have said this is going to be impossible, and it only opened today! Come on guys, its impossible. Plus the whole it being worth 50% and if people stick to their original entry they get extra points, what a load of bull, everybodys going to be so rushed to complete this first entry there going to HAVE to change it, other wise the standard of this comps entries are going to be NOTHING compared to the others.

Reading the run up thread I was really excited about this.

But I can't enter, simple as that, I just started a new job, the person I was going to do it with is on holiday till sunday, and I'm working all next week (10:30-10:30) so unless we get up at like 4 every morning, drive the 40 mintues to his house and bang something out (which btw I'm not going to do!) then theres no point.

I'll enter the next one

Good luck y'all

Zarbid

P.S Just my two cents

5. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    well it's not imposable, nothing's imposable, my friend and i choreographed a ten minuet fight to preform at the theater before EP III trying to kina predict what it'd be like, and we started on may 16th, the movie was on may 19th.... and most of the people said that it was better than the one in the film....... so there's some proof that it's not imposable..... the only way you'll know if you can do it or not is to try, and keep telling yourself that it's not imposable.....

well i've put my two cents in, so i'll go stare at a wall now.....

6. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Yeah, guys. Two weeks is nuts as a deadline, and you're going to be seriously cutting down your possible entrants. It's too bad.

7. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Sith-Man posted on 8/1/05 10:52am
    oh wait..... i just noticed it has to be quicktime...... i don't think i'll be entering then, the camera that i have will only inport into avi, and i don't have any way of converting it...... grrr...
    [hr][/blockquote] If the editing program you work in can't export to Quicktime then trash it. ;)

8. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004

9. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Ok, I'm gonna scroll down the pages and answer everything I missed since last night. Brace yourselves, long post :

I flinched when you said "no light-nunchucks". Even if we are doing a comedy?

You may do a comedic choreography, sure, but be careful to make it a fight with bits of humor, and not the other way around. The majority of the video should be fighting.

in fairness there shoudl be no bonus points given

There is, in our minds (and as DMP pointed out, we've been discussing this for a while now) a very good reason to give out a few bonus points for sticking to your original plan. Emphasis on "a few". So why the bonus points ? Well, for a moment, let's imagine two cases where the bonus points are out :

1) One of you announces that your video will feature everything. Costumes, effects, sounds, epic music, sweet looking location. In the end, all he could do was tape his fight in his backyard, roto the sabers using AlamDV, and, time running out, use Duel of the Fates". But it's alright, there's no bonus points - they're pointless (ha).

2) Meanwhile, a father with kids, working full time (archetypal of the very busy man), says his fight will show us how his 6 years old kids can defeat him when they spar in the driveway. Turns out he found the time to make a decent choreography suitable for kids and adults. He made it believable. He's not in the driveway, he found a cooler location. The wife made costumes. And a buddy of his thought it'd be cool to roto the footage and add the sounds for them. No points for efforts ? No points for going the extra length to make a good entry ?

Now of course these are two extremes scenarios - I doubt the first guy would not find enough time to do what he promised, and I'm sure a full time worker with kids would NOT find the time to do all that after all (unless he's Jeremy West, Ken Lawton, or Zap Andersson - somehow these guys always find the time).

Briefly said - the bonus points are a way to make sure people don't abuse the system by claiming their video will be effects-free, but then add everything. Thus scoring more points from an impressionable public.

Just for the sake of the example, Brandon's Contenders should have been penalized for not having the sound effects even though he kept telling us he'd add them in. But it wasn't, and it won anyway because the voting system was far more simple.

Sage, that still doesn;t explain why its 3 months BEFORE the final cut. If that is the sole reason then tell people to enter completely with no costyumes, no effects no nothhing and have that SOLELY as the deadline in October. Otherwise the proposal video is nothing.

First of all, it's not 3 months, it's 2 months (just so people don't get the wrong impression).

We want it to be in 2 months before the final entry because they will be made available for download as soon as we get them. Last time people said "it would be cool if we could post WIP's and get feedback" - this is it. Of course that means there's no need for the entries to be anonymous.

We won't tell people that they can't have effects and all in their final entry. As a matter of fact, this was something I suggested when preparing the last competition, and no one agreed with me, saying many people enter solely because they find the whole process interesting (choreographing, performing, editing, effects, sounds...). Besides, another point raised was that some people choreograph their fight with the idea of playing with the activation/deactivation of their saber. Which wouldn't work without the effect.

What im saying is can we at least move the camera from left to right in the proposal so the fighting stays onscreen

Absolutely. Obviously you'll need to be clever when choosing your three angles, to make sure everything is properly covered, but if the fight moves around a lot, you are allowed to pan the camera to follow the action. As DMP put it with great eloquence : "All you're concentrating on is showing the choreography in the most boring fashio

10. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Wow, that's a long post. [face_hypnotized]
    Sith-Man posted on 8/1/05 11:32am
    lol, yeah, but my problem is that i have like, no money.... so finding a free editing program that will capture vidio and export into quicktime is hard.....
    [hr][/blockquote] Take a look in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Films/b10015/19989317]tutorial/resource sticky[/link] - there are several free programs in there that will allow you to do what you're after. :)

11. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Four weeks, much better. Thanks, guys.

12. Zarbid

Zarbid Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2005

YAY! I can enter now, cheers guys.

its my B-Day on the 30th, lol

Zarbid

13. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    he DVeditor, do you know of any full versions of vidio converters that i could get for free, because if i'm going to do any rotoscopeing i'll need it in avi format, because the only rotoscopeing program i have is LSmaker, if you do know of any free vidio converters please let me know.....

14. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Get a job, hippie.

15. RyiokuXL

RyiokuXL Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    teenagers shouldnt have jobs, and i have a good reason for this, because youre only a kid once, and i feel you shouldnt waste that time working

its not his fault hes not lazy, he just doesnt want to waste his childhood :D

16. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    Woo, 4 weeks!! We just might get into this one, then. :D

Three cheers for the power of annoyance!

Hip-hip Huzzah!
    Hip-hip Huzzah!
    Hip-hip Huzzah!

17. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004

hippie?..... umm.... ok.... lol, i'm looking for a job at the moment, what i'm thinking of doing at the moment is going to the golf corse behind where we live during the night and picking up the golf balls still laying around, and then sitting outside the club durring the day and sell them for about fifty sence cheaper.... my brother did that in West Virginia, and made a crap load of money off of it...

childhood?......... oh that's a good one.... i didn't have much of a child hood..... lol..... other than my older brother locking me in a suitcase and throwing me down the steps....... hehe, now i'm more meture than him.....

18. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Looks like more people will be entering due to the deadline extensions. Glad to hear it!

Sith-Man posted on 8/1/05 11:45am
    he DVeditor, do you know of any full versions of vidio converters that i could get for free
    [hr][/blockquote] Check into a program like [link=http://www.virtualdub.org/]VirtualDub[/link] - free and workable for your video editing needs. :)

As I said, it's all in the tutorial thread. ;)

Good luck!

19. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    thanks for the extention. that's going to help out a lot!

so, who thinks they can beat ryan vs brandon vs dorkman? (brandon told me its happening)

20. RyiokuXL

RyiokuXL Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    i think i can, though i can think whatever i want, its my brain :D

21. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    i think i can, mabey, if i join..... and can get it into quicktime

hmmmmm mabey, just mabey.....

22. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    You CAN be creative while being restricted.

Ah, I always forget that part. I stand corrected [face_blush]

1 month for the proposal, 2 months for the final. That sounds like some nice round numbers. Looking forward to this :D Now to go find some fighters...

EDIT: RvBvD?! Hell, I don't care about beating them, I'm just dying to see that! I'm just using this contest as a training course for my two lead actresses to get them ready for our film next year. So winning isn't my priority, just the ****eloads of reviews and working with a certain girl--wait, did I say that? :p

23. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    Sounds like this one will be interesting, but Im not going to be enter this time around. I will be swamped with a lot of homework, and other projects I have, such as two upcoming movies I'm doing. Anyway I wish those whom are entering the best of luck. If there is another one next year, It may be a posibilty I might enter. Have fun.
    Thrice

24. Kraykan-Jedi

Kraykan-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2005
    DV EDITOR

If its any help to you, I might be able to convert that AVI footage for you.
    I have quicktime pro - and that can convert AVI to .mov.

Let me know

25. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004

cool, that'll be usefull...... thx... i'll let you know if i need your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.