main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY COMPETITION 4 (Updated 11/09 - Entry Deadline Over)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Sage_Halcyon, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthOdell

DarthOdell Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    Hm. You're right. Up until Tooty's post, I thought the choreo was decided by a panel of judges and the final version was for us to vote on. Interresting.

By the way, I did a pretty terrible disservice to my rotoscoper, who got practically our whole footage rotoscoped at an amazing speed, less than a week, and I made the tough decision not to use it because of the framerate and no soundtrack, and a fight ensued. I then found out that I, with my ignorance of all things camera related, had given him manipulated footage that needed de-interlacing or something similar that I don't understand, and it screwed up the video quality. In other words, I gave this guy a nightmare schedule and impossible footage to work with, and when I didn't like the framerate I blamed him and didn't use the footage for my submission. So I used him and threw him away. He wasn't just working for that week, he was with me from the beginning, rotoscoping some of my practice footage, and perfecting the exact lightsaber look that I wanted. Needless to say, when I realized the framerate problems were my fault, I felt terrible! :( One of those moments where you realize "Gee, I'm a complete @#*%!..."

We have since worked things out, and I would like to post a link to his work on this forum on the day the votes are tallied (so that it does not influence the voting). I don't think that violates the rules, and it is the least I can do to reward the guy's hard work. Plus I think you will find some of the shots look absolutely beautiful with these effects, dispite the framerate problem that I created.

Please allow this, it is the only way I could think of to mend my mistake and set things right.

Edit: And I agree, I am waiting for the 15th like it is Christmas. The only difference with this feeling is it seems like I have spent the last 3 months frantically hammering away in Santa's workshop, trying to make the best toy EVER! I can't wait to unwrap all the gifts you guys bring!

Edit: added sentances. Sorry for the long post!

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's a really good analogy, haha!
    And I don't see a problem with you releasing whatever other material you have from your film after the contest is over. It's your film, and you can do whatever you want with it :) Remember, both RvD and AotS were incomplete when they entered the first choreography competition, and later released in their full form.

EDIT: spelling

3. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    There will be a Panel of Judges and a public vote. Just like always.

But with the Judges actually... Doing it this time.

Heh.

Sage H.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Doing it? Oh my! Isn't it enough that they judge? :p

5. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Yo Sage,

I say you post the list of judges publically - so we can all harrass them when they don't do their job.

-Spiff

6. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Clarification for those still confused:

Judges will look at the entries, mainly the choreography ones but also the fight scenes themselves, and give a fair, balanced review of them. They will tell what was good and what needed work. They get no special voting rights, and the only influence they have on voting is the influence on the voters.

Everyone will, in turn, vote on choreography, with their own opinions and perhaps keeping in mind what the judges have said. Everyone will, therefore, be the ones directly responsible for choosing who wins in each category.

7. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    We're gonna have two votes : best choreography, and best fight scene. Arjuna is correct in describing the judging phase.

Speaking of judges, so far we have DorkmanScott, Spiff, and Fig. They just got a pre-release link because they're gonna have some serious writing to do. And as you three know, keep the reviews for the release thread.

8. Deagle_Raa

Deagle_Raa Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    To the judges: Are the entrants close this round? or is there a clear winner already?

EDIT: Sorry, i'm just impatient.

9. JediPastor

JediPastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    WOW.

Those are some brutal judges.

Well, I guess the truth is often brutal. They will, no doubt, give us an accurate critique.

10. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002

They're not allowed to say. Sorry. The 15th is almost upon us. Almost time.

:)

Sage H.

11. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
  12. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, hush, you. You who smells like cat.

13. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Clearly there is a winner already: the judges! We got early linkage :)

-Spiff

14. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, hey, if that makes them winners and not losers, that means that the entries were good!

15. GheoFabulousDuk

GheoFabulousDuk Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    No offense to Dorkman, almighty mod that he is, but I do hope he actually reviews all the entries this year. Last year he didn't review my entry on the grounds that he viewed it as a joke, and when I said it wasn't, he still didn't. I entered that competition with the hopes of serious critique, and I came away with: Practice more. That's not all I learned, far from it, but that's all I got from the reviews.

~Duk

16. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Well..who's fault is that, though? The entry really DID seem like a joke, and was pretty impervious to criticism, just on the grounds of how silly it was.

17. DarthOdell

DarthOdell Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
  18. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Hmm, I thought these contests were supposed to be fun. At least he tried. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it seems a little harsh.

19. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Not saying it to be mean, saying that it's difficult to critique something that doesn't do anything critiqueable, outside of saying: "Yeah. Practice more."

20. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    What entry was it?

Tell them what they did wrong, even if it was, "Yeah, your choreography looked like it had merit, but you needed a lot more practice to make it come off well... faster, more intense."

21. Dako

Dako Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Lucky... How do they all look?

22. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Entry 19 last year.

23. Dako

Dako Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Sorry, but for entry 19, I kind of agree with Dorkman. I would suggest getting more practice, although I still think Dorkman could've said more.

24. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    I'll tell my thoughts of it once I get back to my external hard drives. Too hard to pack both of them up to just come home for the weekend.

25. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, I couldn't have said more. Not without being accused of being "mean" or getting a lot of "OMG this is just for fun not to rip people apart!!1!"

And so I didn't.

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.