main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY COMPETITION 4 (Updated 11/09 - Entry Deadline Over)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Sage_Halcyon, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Hmm, four weeks eh? I guess we'll give it a try then. If we can find the time.

2. ____Joker____

____Joker____ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    I'll be entering this time. :D

3. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    i do have a question, why does it have to be under three minuets..... because i choreograph acording to music, not a move for a beat, but i listen to a song and while that songs playing a fight plays out in my head and permanitly burns into my mind so i can teach it to the other people, but my problem is i don't have any songs that are under three minuets.....

could we change that to be under four minuets, or three and a half...... please.....

4. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    So just edit a song?

Or find a new one that's under three minutes. Four minutes of choreography is a lot.

5. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Oh, that's something JBK forgot!

Another change was the maximum duration, now set to 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

I knew something was missing...

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sure is! I've been making fightscenes for about five-sx years at least and I've never made a fight that's four minutes pure choreography. I think about two minutes is my record.

7. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004

Thank you so much.

and four minuets of choreography isn't realy that much, the fight that my friend and i did for the ep III premier was about ten minuets, and we did it in about three days and most people there said that it was better than the one in ep III..... but 3.5 is alot better... thank you

8. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Reviews from your mother don't count, unless she's talking about me.

9. BrandonFlyte

BrandonFlyte Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2004
    No, I didn't.

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That was news to me, too.

As for this thread itself, am I to understand that the "choreography proposals" will be released and shown to everyone as part of the process? Thereby essentially spoiling the entire fight by showing all the cool bits in the least entertaining way possible? Once the choreography's been ruined there's no point in doing the fight, IMO, so if you're going to require proposals, I say you might as well limit it to the proposals only.

Maybe the contest in the future should be expanded to a lightsaber FIGHT SCENE competition, thereby making presentation part of the package. Good editing, camera work, and narrative structure are as accessible to everyone as good choreography and sound effects if they try hard enough.

Anyway, due to this proposal system, I am definitely not entering.

M. Scott

11. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
  12. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004

...... huh? lol, she didn't go, she didn't like us fighting, she thought we'd get hurt..... lol...

13. JediPastor

JediPastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    Whoo hoo!

I'm in! I can do it now!

I've never entered one of these. I just joined these forums after the judging of LCC3. This is going to be fun.

Thanks for the time extension.

I can come up with a pretty good looking fight pretty quick that would make people in line at EPIII cheer (in fact I did and ended up on local TV). But I also know that that kind of fight won't hold up under the frame-by-frame scrutiny of the judges. This extra time is soooooo much appreciated.

14. Dako

Dako Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Another question, for the proposal. Does it just want the fighting, or the beginning with the opening and ending, like what if I have a part in the beginning with no fighting in it that goes on for 10 seconds.

15. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    But I'm sure your fight was better than theirs :p

Fixed markup codes.

16. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004

haha, that sounds like a couple of the people the the premiere that i was at..... they just banged sticks.....

i have a few pictures of us fighting inside the halls of the theater, but we got in trouble with the securty gaurds so we had to wait untill after the movie and do it outside, which was a pain in the but because it was like 1 o'clock and he waas tired, and i was still crying some from the movie..... (yes i cried during the movie, for the last fourty minuets as a mater of fact.... i'm a loser, lol)

17. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    New thoughts on the proposal system.

If you stick with proposals, I think only a few people should see them in the beginning of the competition. Maybe the judges' panel should step in at THIS point instead of at the end, go through all the entries that will be created over the next two weeks, and eliminate all but, say, the top 10 entries. Then those should go on to the second round where they make the complete fight scene, but no proposals should be publically released.

I still say that if you're going to require the proposals in order to level the playing field, you should only have the proposals as part of this competition.

Perhaps we may want to split this into two separate competitions, the choreography competition and the fight scene competition. The choreography competition could be an elimination round, and the top 5 or 10 voted entries can go on to do the fully-produced scene. I would be interested in seeing how the votes change between who has the best choreography and who does the best scene with what they've got.

M. Scott

18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Dorkman has a point or two!

19. Deagle_Raa

Deagle_Raa Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    Elimination rounds aren't fair on people that have worked so hard to enter their coreography. I do agree that the proposal would spoil any suprises in the final product. Refer back to my previous post where I mentioned only the judges should look at the propsal. That score would be added to the final product score given by everyone for the final results.

EDIT: two separate competitions may sound like a good idea, but will become too complicated in my opinion.

20. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I disagree with the idea of knocking people out so early. Some peoples strengths may lie in editing and cinematography, which would lend themselves towards a good (better) final scene. How unfortunate if they got cut in the elimination round because their choreography wasn't as slick.

Two very seperate competitions might be the best way out...

By the way, the time extension is good.

21. yikes

yikes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I agree.
    These rules do kinda sucko.
    It removes all forms of coolness.
    A lightsaber "Fight Scene" contest is more of what I'm looking for, and probably what everyone else is looking for too but they just dont realize it.

As mentioned above, my choreography strength lies in camera work. And Camera work is 50% of choreography.

Just think, RvD would be horrible on a tripod. Especially with the rolling around on the floor scene, they wouldnt even get past preliminary rounds [face_whistling]

But when shot right, it looks exciting.

22. Funk-E

Sep 11, 2003
    Well, the proposal is supposed to be dry. If you want the coolness, add it in afterwards.

23. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    The other downside to releasing the Proposal publically is that someone might say, "Oh, that's neat..." and copy it.

Pre-determined judges should be able to see the Proposals as the come in, yes, but not the general public. Maybe once we're past the entry date, they can be publically released- i.e. after September 1st.

Thanks, guys, for all of your work you're trying to put into this, you're also certainly being cooperative in trying to help everyone out :) It's appreciated a lot!

24. Strikerine

Strikerine Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2005
    Well looks like Dorkman is out. Will we see Ryan W or Brandon in this new competition?

25. DarthOdell

DarthOdell Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    Yeah, DON'T LET EVERYONE SEE THE CHOREOGRAPHY in one month. I had this thought out driving and came home to see Dorkman's complaint, which I totally agree with, perhaps even more passionately. I think it would not only ruin the surprise, but if my fellow competitors can see what I am planning, THEY CAN STEAL IDEAS! I can steal theirs! It's terrible! I'm fine with the judges seeing it early, I may want their advice, but I would rather at least have the option of keeping my plans from my competitors!

[Edit: I wrote this while DarthArjuna was apparently writing the same thing above me, so I agree with her, too.]

Also, one last "comedy fighting" question: Will absurd variations of a lightsaber vs. a more acceptable lightsaber be accepted? By absurd, I mean Light-Battleaxes, etc. Would such weaponry disqualify a fight, since it's losing the "sword vs sword" setup? What if only part of it has absurd weapons?

And I'm going to pretend there is going to be a Ryan vs. Brandon vs. Dorkman. That message got me more nervous and motivated to practice than anything I've ever read. I started pacing around like Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.