main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY COMPETITION 4 (Updated 11/09 - Entry Deadline Over)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Sage_Halcyon, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloneextra1

cloneextra1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    Same here, we had only and hour to shoot. And just one day, so the footage ended up being our choreography and fight scene.

2. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Yes, the entries will be released in a new thread and this one will be lost to time. So be it the will of FanFilms.

I also doubt that it will be a sticky. Unless Mike or DV contacts me with a request to do so.

Sage H.

3. Naurm

Naurm Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2005
    Yet again the same for my partners. We did the choreography video last and thought of it as more of a reference if something was unclear in the final video. So the execution of the moves in my opinion was actually better in the final video.

4. Darth_Carl

Darth_Carl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2005
    For me (and I think for TCF to) it was more important to make it good for the fight, rather than the choreography... so we put our energy to that.

5. Deagle_Raa

Deagle_Raa Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    So then it appears everyone (including myself) has put more effort into the fight than the choreography video. And that's the way it should be.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, I didn't feel that the choreography video was all that important in a way. Impossible to get the fight to look good with those restrictions in the first place, so it wasn't my top priority to execute it flawless.
    It shows in the video, but what the hell.

7. Darth_Carl

Darth_Carl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 28, 2005
    The choreography comes through, and that's the important thing really!

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  9. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    I must admit that the "choreo video" requirement strongly tempered my interest in entering the contest.

Having watched all the videos now, I'm unsure as to how the choreography video will affect the results. In at least one case I preferred the choreography video to the "fight" version, simply because I found the music and angles in the fight version quite distracting. I guess the "choreo" version at least requires that the choreography actually be planned out from start to finish and well known. I think that shows in the entries.

-Spiff

10. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    It was an idea we were playing with to see if it helped out. Not sure if we'll do it again though.

Sage H.

11. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    So far I haven't bothered to watch any of the choreography videos anyway.

M. Scott

12. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    That's the spirit

:D :p

Thanks to those who congratulated.

13. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    I only entered the choreo competition though.

14. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry, I meant if a fight scene was otherwise available.

M. Scott

15. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Gracias Mr. Scott

16. DarthOdell

DarthOdell Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    I did do the choreo video faster than I probably should have, especially considering that the whole portion where I come in and fight didn't make it to the cinematic version. the movie verion probably only has about a third of the choreography in the choreography video, so if the judges don't look at both videos they will miss a lot of what we worked on.

I also had some faster, better executed versions that I taped earlier when I was in better practice, but I retaped them for camera consistency. Probably another mistake on my part. Maybe I will post those after voting occurs.

Anyway, please watch the choreo videos, Dorkman!

Edit: A lot of us probably have things that we are proud of that didn't make it into the competition (I for one have several effects tests and the two brothers in my movie did a lot of additional choreography we didn't use) and it may be neat to see all of these extra things after voting, sort of like DVD extras.

17. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    soo uhh, are the videos out or no?

18. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
  19. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    dude Pamela Anderson is so gross. Try Jordana Brewster or Eva Mendez. Or Uma Thurman, who i might add is my neighbor in my Moms house in Connecticut.

Yea you bet i take out the garbage when she goes to get her mail.

20. Wootaun-Hyamenus

Wootaun-Hyamenus Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    Oh, I am boiling over with excitement! I feel as if everything on my inside... wants to be on my outside.

So just to be clear the judges aren't judging the fight scene, but they are giving reviews? And the members of TFN will be voting only on the fight scene, or the choreography video as well?

Well in my world only... about 10 more hours (if everything runs well).

This is Wootaun signing off[face_peace]

21. cloneextra1

cloneextra1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    The judges are reviewing the fight overall, and the board is voting on both videos.

22. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Hey now, you got modded and never told me Dorkman? Well I'm sure it's quite a belated congratulations to you! I noticed it's all guys from my generation up at the top of the webpage now, whatever happened to MaxVeers and Azeem?

Anyway, on to business, I finished my once over of all the fights. I, for one, have watched the choreography videos for a few of them to get a second perspective on where the fight was going since camera angles and editing do hide things. I have used them as supplementals.

I've been impressed by a number of them but I think I've got a pretty clear cut winner, I'm going to sleep on it before I start writing my reviews though to make sure I'm not jumping the gun. My vote for winner will be based solely on choreography but in my reviews I'm going to review the whole package... not sure where the other judges are leaning but that's the direction I'm going.

Oh yeah, and just in case some of ya'll where wondering who the hell I am since when I was around we laughed at '03-ers as newbs. My name is Shawn Curran and I'm a film student at Baylor University, I trained in Jeet Kune Do in high school and have been a fan of MMA fighting ever since.

23. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Wow, WD is behind the times. Like, wow...

So, yeah. *whisltes and waits for midnight, hoping that's when they'll be released*

Edit: So it doesn't sound so impatient :)

24. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    According to your post history, you made a post in the thread announcing my promotion.

Just FYI, I don't know how they wanted us to vote, but the general vote is voting for best choreography, AND best fight scene video. They do not necessarily have to be the same video.

M. Scott

25. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    It's looking like it won't be midnight for the release. It'll have to be later in the day. Our site provider (where I laid down a LOT of money for reliable hosting) has been less than speedy on getting all our info to us so it's taking a little more time. Just be patient and we'll see how this goes.

EDIT: There will be a public poll and a Judges Panel vote. The Judges will write a review on each entry and then pick one that they think is the best. So, in essence, there will be a public winner and a Judges winner. Like always.

Sage H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.