main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Choreography Competition **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    It is with great reluctance that we must inform you that the LCC V will
    have to be postponed until 2007. This of course is due to the fact that the
    LCC Staff (Sage, JBK and myself) have been busy with...well, life (jobs,
    rent etc...). The LCC website is being worked on as much as we can, but
    between Sage's particular job schedule, JBK's three jobs, and I preparing to
    move onto bigger professional things... well, we're all too busy to make it
    happen before 2006 takes a bow. A man's gotta eat, folks. :)

Again, we apologize for the great delay and hope to see you all in next
    year, when LCC V finally hits.

DV EDIT: Locking by request - please see this topic for updates.

2. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    Hm. I'm surprised there's not enough folks interested to take up the torch in the meantime.

3. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    yeah but that works in my favor cause now i have time to prepre my entry, my first. yeah! Good luck with the jobs guys, and see you in 2007.

4. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Meh.
    It's too bad you can't at least post the rules so we could prep our entries until the time comes when you can host them.

I've got the itch, man. I've got the itch real bad.

5. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Yeah, if you posted the rules and deadlines now, maybe most of the entries would get roto'd.

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I think it'd be nice to see the rules and such online as well from a purely organizational standpoint. Though I also totally understand what it's like to have a lot on your plate (as in like, right now) so sometimes it just takes a while to sort it all out.

Best of luck to y'all - be sure to holler if you need anything. :)

7. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Well, 2006 is coming to a close soon anyway, so what date in 2007 are we talking about?

8. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    I don't see that as a problem really as that in a way gives people more time to work on their films, including me. [face_dancing]

9. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Cool. Cause I wouldn't be ready to do that until next year. Hey! Is it allowed to enter a four on one battle in the competition?

10. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
    It's been allowed previously and probably will be this time. Typically one on one fights do best with judges and fans. Unless you can pull off a 4 vs 1 fight realistically with a good share of fight-time for each combatant, I'd suggest you stick to 2 or 3 fighters max.

11. Zurita-Films

Zurita-Films Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Where would we find the LCC website? I'll be interested in joining next year.

12. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    We're working on it with whatever time we can spare for it.

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, that's too bad. Ryan and I were kind of hoping to show some of the better entries when we did our RvD2 premiere (we'll have rented a theatre for an evening, might as well show an evening's worth of stuff).

M. Scott

14. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Hm. I'm surprised there's not enough folks interested to take up the torch in the meantime.

Like we're interested in giving up the torch anyway. That was never an option.

It's too bad you can't at least post the rules so we could prep our entries until the time comes when you can host them.

How would the rules help ? And it's not just about hosting. If it was just that, we'd renew the space NOW and the contest would happen. It's just that we don't have time to prepare the contest yet, and manage it once it gets rolling. Cause believe me, this thing is very demanding, and since we're doing it for free, it can't be a priority in our lives. We WANT it to happen as soon as possible, but the reality is that we need to take care of real stuff first. And real stuff keeps piling up.

Yeah, if you posted the rules and deadlines now, maybe most of the entries would get roto'd.

Again, for clarification, organizing the contest is as easy as throwing a dart at the calendar and picking dates. A lot more work goes into it, and we just can't make time for that now. I know contests and festivals look easy from the outside, but take my word for it : it's not. As much as we love the enthusiasm for the LCC, it's a little depressing when the workload required to make it happen is underestimated.

I think it'd be nice to see the rules and such online as well from a purely organizational standpoint.

From a "purely organizational standpoint", yeah. And eventually that's the plan. But as you may have noticed over the last three LCC's, the rules are never set in stone. That's certainly a goal, finding the perfect balance of everything so that we never have to worry about updating the rules again. Hopefully it'll happen one day, and then the rules would be online at all time, even when there is no contest, on the website. But we haven't gotten to the point where a contest's rules might be used again in the following one. Just look at LCC 4 and the two videos required for each entry. That was a huge change for both us and the contestants. We tried something because there had always been a lot of drama about the effects being voted for more than the choreography. We tried to provide a solution to that, which in turn created its own drama, and the end results don't warrant the renewal of that rule for LCC 5. Yes, you got that right, there will be no choreography video required for LCC 5.

So you see, the rules are still evolving, which is why we can't just post them in advance.

be sure to holler if you need anything. :)

Oh yeah, sure thing. The offer is appreciated, but we would have asked anyway. ;) Hopefully soon enough, a few of you will be receiving PM's asking for help in various fields to make LCC 5 happen. :)

Well, 2006 is coming to a close soon anyway, so what date in 2007 are we talking about?

We have a tentative date for "internal use". Not ready to share that bit of info just yet, because when you announce a possible date it always come back to haunt you. ;)

I can say though, that it won't be in late 2007. I know it's not much to chew on, but it's a start.

Is it allowed to enter a four on one battle in the competition?

Let's forget about my speech about the rules for a moment. Absolutely. Even though the rules aren't finalized, there never was, and never will be, a limit on the number of fighters. However, brook has very good points. Typically, people DO like one on one better. Choice is up to you.

Ryan and I were kind of hoping to show some of the better entries when we did our RvD2 premiere (we'll have rented a theatre for an evening, might as well show an evening's worth of stuff).

Using which files ? All we have is compressed versions so far.

That was an idea we've been playing around though, asking for a full quality copy on MiniDV, in order to archive the contests better and more easily. And it would open up possibilities for showings like yours or compilation DVD's. The only thing that kept us from

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "How would the rules help?"

Seriously?

Erm, because people can start on their entries? Hard to do that without knowing the rules

16. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    If we wanted to showcase it, we could approach the filmmakers about getting us a full-quality copy.

Listen, I'd say just relax the one rule that the entries have to be produced during the "competition period". Make the rule instead that entries must not have ever been previously released for viewing. That way people could start working on entries now, and just release them with the contest.

You know it's going to be a lightsaber fight. That's all you need to know to get started. And having more time just means that the entries will be better.

M. Scott

17. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    What about those who would rather wait for the OFFICIAL rules to come up? Like JBK said, these rules can change at any given time, they're not set in stone. Heck, even a day before the acutal contest begins the rules can change. We can not take that risk, as it will create anarchy.

18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    According to this thread, the reason for the delay is due to lack of time because of real life constraints. There is no problem at all with that. Real life has to take priority.

But sorting out the rules is hardly the biggest thing involved in organising this sort of competition. Just get them rules up, then people can get started. The rules may not be "perfect", but it keeps the competition alive and going. You've already expressed total unwillingless to let others keep things ticking over (which is your right) but there seems to be an element of pig-headedness here. If you don't want others to help out, then at least give the competitors a bone :) For the time being (as well as real life of course), work purely on the rules, get them out there and let people start working.

19. Zurita-Films

Zurita-Films Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2006
    You have a good point. I could start right now on a good fight, but if the rules say it has to be made in the time period of the contest, that work would go to waste. Sure I could cheat, but I wouldn't feel good about myself.

20. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm buds with everyone who runs this contest, so I hope they don't take this the wrong way, but why are they the ones who hold exclusive rights to the torch in the first place? Asterisks don't really denote anything "official," just call dibs on what was previously something anyone could start. I can't see a reason why, if there's interest, and second group coudln't start a Lightsaber Competition X, and have it be unrelated the the Official Lightsaber Competition altogether. It'd attract the same crowd, give them what they want, and allow the OLSC people their lives in the process.

And, again, I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I can understand an enthusiastic filmmaker feeling like they were royally screwed out of the one opportunity to be played alongside RvD 2 at an awesome public showing in a real theater, and just because some people who they don't know called first dibs on a contest on the internet and then didn't keep up with the demand for them to actually keep doing them.

21. brook_33

Dec 30, 2003
    I agree with Fig. Why can't the official LCC or a different LCC be done under the authority of others? Maybe we should consider starting one ourselves while the previous guys are busy doing what they have to do.

22. FruityTooty

Aug 29, 2005
    I can just understand equally the people on both sides of the issue, and can see a solution that gets everyone what they want. If someone wants to run a new show, why not let them do it?

23. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    The real question is, if someone wants to run an LCC, how could you stop them?

M. Scott

24. FruityTooty

Aug 29, 2005
    Throwing The Torch at them and hoping it hits.

25. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    I personally would prefer if the guys who have done it in past competitions stay becasue they have a basic system and have done good in the past. And besides to echo previous posts, it gives people more time to create fights that are more impressive and therefore make the contest more enjoyable cause there are higher quality entries. I plan on finally entering this competition and I am planning it out now, and will continue to refine it so I get a fight that looks original, dramatic, and exciting. So i would advice start brainstorming now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.