main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY CONTEST III*** RELEASE THREAD

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ryan_W, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Well, the time has come at last. We got a whopping 27 entries for this contest, many of them very cool. So everybody, prepare to test the limits of your modem. And if you're particularly daring and feel like loading 8 megabytes worth of animated gif's, check out the higher bandwidth page and get a peek at all the entries while you wait on your downloads. The files (entries) are exactly the same, just a difference in the download page.

LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY CONTEST III ENTRIES:

LOW/STANDARD BANDWIDTH
    CRAZY/BUCKWILD BANDWIDTH

Please note that you will not be able to vote on the entries just yet. For several reasons we'll be waiting a day or two to bring the poll online. So keep an eye out for me to post that link later. I'll make big deal out of it with highlighted text and what not. Also, just so you're thinking about it, unlike the board polls, on our poll (graciously being set up for us by Durbnpoisn) you will be able to pick your favorite entries. That's right, plural. Everyone will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, so as you watch all these, don't just pick a favorite, pick a few and think about it.

Also, while I'm here talking about the voting, I'd like to remind eveyone that this is a choreography contest, not a short film contest. And while there are plenty of cool non-choreography aspects in these entries, your vote for winners should be determined by the fighting and choreography. Try not to let effects, sound, locations, etc (or lack thereof) sway you. try to consider all of these entries fairly and equally. Oh, and I encourage people not to discuss their own entries to avoid swaying people too badly and to try to preserve some anonymity.

Also, on the subject of fairness between entries, I feel the need to mention one last thing. This year we got a lot of entries that go above and beyond simple lightsaber choreography videos. Our rules discouraged entries from containing long portions without fighting, no names or company titles, etc, all in the interest of keeping the entries simple and comparable. This was still not an easy task. In past years having too much plot was never a problem. ;) But in the interest of trying to keep these entries fair with each other, we had to adopt a strict policy on keeping these entries just fight scenes. This means that many entries you are downloading are not the entire sequence created, and have been cut down by us, or, whenever we could get a hold of the entrants, by them, to only contain the applicable saber dueling. It's not easy to do that, but as I said, we need to keep these as comparable as possible and not let the point of these sequences get lost or confused. And so I'd like to thank those of you who have entered, for working with us on this, and if your entry appears here as an abridged version, we really appreciate it. And I think everybody can look forward to several of these entries being released in their full versions with polished effects, etc. once the polls have closed. :)

Alrighty then. I think that does it. Everybody check out the entries and use this thread to react, review, discuss, and enjoy.

Ryan_W, BrandonFlyte, Sage_Halcyon, JediByKnight (JBK)

2. cloneextra1

cloneextra1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    Thanks Ryan! Dlaoding.

3. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bringer_of_Spiff

Bringer_of_Spiff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2003
    Downloading...I woke up just in time!

5. D_Alexander

D_Alexander Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2004
    w00h00!!!

experiencing some difficulties downloading, though. Guess the server's pretty bussy... :p

6. rybot

rybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2003
    Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy!
    This is gonna be good.

7. Krintar

Krintar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Dammit!
    I have to start getting ready for work in about... oh, ten minutes...
    *rants and raves*

Ah well, there's always tonight.

8. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Edit: that was rude

9. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Attempting to download.. it's going pretty slowly.

Oh man.. can't wait.

-Vaportrail

10. cloneextra1

cloneextra1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    It'll be an hour and a half just to get entry 1. But, I can wait.

11. -Phi-

-Phi- Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    I can put these into a .torrent file to help out...if I can get any of them. I can't even load the site at the moment. Any way I could get them over IM? I have a suspicion it would be appreciated.

12. verias1

verias1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    well guys i hate you so much.

ive been waiting for a 3 months

and you guys put it on an FTP server..

i cant download ftp from my schools proxy

way to be TFN for terrible bad judgement.

*cough* Actually, it's mine and a friend's ordeal that's hosting it.
    and...it's not a pure ftp server...

As for their bad judgement...I was told I was the only person to offer to host...so...yeah.

[edit] also, apologies for the lag, this is a massive strain on the connection I'm sure.

13. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    I had half the animated gifs loaded, but the download was taking forever. i reloaded the page and now i cant even get to it. geez.

14. SaberFreak

SaberFreak Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2002
    Sweet! Glad I have DSL. Thanks!

15. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Wait.....so is it FTP or is it just html

16. athanyel

athanyel Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2005
    Once I get the files, I'll attempt to host either a torrent or raw download of the files on my .edu connection at work and my cable modem at home. It'd be limited bandwidth (don't want to get yelled at and all) but it might help alleviate part of the problem.

I've been trolling but figured this was a good enough reason to actually log in. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder, but there's a lot of people complaining I'd imagine.

AIM is oc3boi. Let me know if I can be of help.

17. verias1

verias1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    Red-2-unfortunately no, no ftp-age...we set up a temp ordeal for the organizers to work in, and it went all bonkers about 2 days ago, hence the delay, so if you wanna gripe at someone, it would be me. So, we ended up having to get the remainder of the files up through sending them to myself and a friend to upload through our admin account...so...no ftp downloads...I don't wanna chance more of this insanity goofing it up again.

I've already had nightmares about the release.

Sorry

18. Xorbo

Xorbo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2003
    the websites arent loading at all for me.

19. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Ditto...whos idea was it to FTP it?

20. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    I've been waiting for about ten minutes just for the low bandwidth page to load, and still nothing. I don't think your server can handle this. I advise listening to Phi.

21. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I can help with hosting. Someone give me the links.

22. Xorbo

Xorbo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2003
    maybe make a makeshift website which direct links to the entries?

23. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I've got all the animated gifs loaded on the high bandwidth page. Haven't been able to start downloading any entries yet. The gifs look good though!

-SWIG

24. NitroBlade

NitroBlade Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2004
    Hmm, perhaps I should have read the posts and clicked on the low bandwith page. It's been a while now, and nothing so far.

So...

slow...

very...

groggy...

need...

cheetos...

ugh...

25. Cuban_Menace

Cuban_Menace Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2004
    I cant even get to the page. :_|

Thread Status: