main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Lightsaber Choreography Contest V Has Begun!**

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Anyone that's been following the Choreography Update thread knows that we've been delaying the process for some time now. That couldn't be helped and it was a rather unfortunate incident. We apologize for the delay. Work, relationships, and just life in general tend to get in the way sometimes. I has started a new job as an editor for a brand new Production House not too recently, JBK is a very busy man in his field of work and Sage's job takes him away for half the month at a time so his time is very limited too. JBK has decided to take a few steps back to concentrate on his own stuff, but is still willing to help out with a couple things if need be. Meaning, don't PM him with anything as all he will do is redirect the messages to Sage and myself.

This year, we plan on using a few more marketing tools to help get this contest's name out there. TFN is our home and will always be so but branching out never hurt anyone. Please remember, this is a friendly contest and no flaming will be tolerated. Do unto others, etc. So, enough with the explanations and on with what you've all been waiting on. Welcome to LCC V, gentleman and ladies of the forum.

Lightsaber Choreography Contest V

1) We reserve the right to adjust, alter, add, remove, and downright screw with any rule that we choose. There is a reason for this. Circumstances change. We are not omnipotent. We cannot foresee every bump in the road. When things go bad, we have to do what's best for the contest. We will, however, do our best to keep things set in stone.

2) The maximum compressed file size limit is, as usual, set to 30 Mb or under. Also, all files have to be QuickTime. This is a standard format that we've always used and we see no reason to deviate. However you do have a choice of either compressing it with Sorenson 3 or H.264. Whichever will help you achieve the 30 Mb or under mark.

3) All running times must come in under 5 minutes. Credits and opening titles, logos, etc., do not count against your time.

4) ENTRIES MUST BE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED. We are not flexible on this rule. This one has been around from the beginning. Nothing new.

5) No single contestant extensions. If we reach the deadline and we deem that there are not enough entries received at the time, we may grant a small extension to try and accommodate as many as possible.

6) Go nuts. Use anything you want. Weapons, costumes, throwing your little brother at the camera. Whatever. This is something new. Want to tell a story? Do so. As long as you meet the time limit criteria, we want to see what you have. Just make sure you remember that this IS a LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY contest. Have fun, guys.

Contest starts Thursday, February 1st and the deadline for entries is Tuesday, May 1st. Your entry must be in our hands before 11:59:59 PM, EST that day. That's 4:59:59 AM, GMT and 8:59:59 PM, GMT.

Yes, we will be hosting again this year. We'll also be accepting applications for a panel of Judges. Please PM or contact us via the contests myspace page at:

http://www.myspace.com/sabercomp

if you think you may be qualified. Any other questions you may have that aren't answered in this thread may be PM'ed to myself (ObiJuan2080) or to Sage_Halcyon.

I'm sure I've left something out here so make sure you check back for updates periodically. Thank you all for being so patient with us. Let's see what you guys have to show us!

The films are up! Continue the discussion in the official thread.

2. noron

noron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2007
    Nice, I roped my sis into working on a clip with me. We're both martial artists so we should be able to throw something snazzy out there for you guys to bow down in awe to, totally j/k. Anyway, I can't wait to see what other people who far exceed my talent can come up with.

One question: does it have to be rotoed? If not, will not rotoing it count against our score?

3. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Even though people love to see finished projects, not roto'ing doesn't count towards the vote.

4. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Sweetness! I already called up Alex since I had an idea brewin' over the last couple weeks. Looks like we can enter it, although it'll cost us a good $1500 or so. Should be worth it :D

5. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    It's about ******* time!!
    Oh man.

I just started rehearsing a duel for my film, but I'm sure I could whip up something for this. Oh man.

-Vaportrail

6. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Vapes and I got this...
    Expect the competition.

7. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Mid-East, punks. Betta rec'nize.

-Vapes

8. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Defintely have some choreography I've been saving for this. I'm in.

9. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    I think you guys left out:
    - When the submissions would be made available for viewing. I?m guessing the following weekend.
    - When the public voting, if they?ll be any, starts and ends.
    - When the judges reviews are expected. Before, during or after the public voting? They kinda wimped out last time, so there should be a deadline; the entrants work hard enough to deserve decent critiques.

10. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    depending on when my second saber prop is done, im in!

11. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Holly crap this is great timing, lol... I'm starting a new job on monday, and was planing on getting a camera anyway, so this is great...

I do have a question though, you said the it's under five minutes, and credits and stuff don't count against you, does that mean, (as an example), that we could use a 5:30 song, but just have thirty seconds of it be credits and the like?

Thanks

-Jacob "Sith-Man" Sheppard

12. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Or, cut down the song. The track we used in RvD is 12 minutes long. You can probably find some places to chop out 30 seconds of music if you need to.

M. Scott

13. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Well yeah, but the song I have in mind is perfect for that, just wanted to see if it was alright if I did that.... But then the song I want to use is about six minutes... I'll have to find thirty seconds that can be cut...

-Jacob

[edit] But then, by May first I'll be able to make my own music... (Got a program in the mail)...

14. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Great to see this take off - all the best to the contestants!

15. davsat5

davsat5 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    Do we still need to have a version of our fight that is choreography only (w/o sfx) like last year?

16. David_Adametz

David_Adametz Jedi Master star 1

Jan 29, 2007
    That wasn't stated in the rules, so no.

I am pretty psyched about this competition. Can't wait to break out onto the battlefield once again.

17. davsat5

davsat5 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    Can we have more than one file, each less than 30mb. Like one file can be a actual fight, another can be the credits or bloopers etc. ?

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I would consider those to be separate from your choreography entry, thus not part of the contest, thus can be any size and format you want.

M. Scott

19. Blazefresh2

Blazefresh2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2006
    March the 1st! im never going to be ready in time , ive just started the choreography.
    Ill guess ill do an amazing job this year and release it in next years competition.

20. Goddard11

Goddard11 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2003
    Excellent, straight forward...

I'm brewing my own entry.

21. SirWicketMcYubYub

SirWicketMcYubYub Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2006
    I find that a very reasonable deadline. Glad to see that things are under way now!!!

22. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    Ooh man, I wanna enter=P~

But I have no one to fight against... Well, there's one, but he's not very creative.
    Anyone wanna come to Norway and challenge me?

Don't worry, I'm not a direct descendant from the Vikings so I won't kick your ass...

23. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Heh, this just makes me think of the Ocean's 11 quote:
    "It'll be nice to be working among proper villains again."

This should be great. I'm glad you're stepping in, your LCC3 is still high on my list. Of course, I'm gonna have to out-do you this time, but that's to be expected.

-Vaportrail

24. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    For the entry just forget about fancy opening titles and credits. If you feel up to it you should leave that for any ?extended cut?.

The credits should simply be something to the effect of ?Made by Bob and George?. Honestly no one cares in this case who the caterer or best boy grip was. Given the time constraints it?s not worth it.

Titles, by default, should be forgotten about, unless the title is critical in setting up the scene that you can?t do with a 10 second opening shot. If you want to re-create a scene of the Ep. 3 Jedi Purge, calling it ?What Must Be Done? would get to the point quickly enough, for example.

25. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    That's kind of a cool idea, really. We did kinda miss out on the whole slaughter scene.. but I suppose it could be considered a bit more artistic.

Plus, I think it's one of those age-old tradiations that you usually don't show a kid getting killed on-screen. At least, not brutally. They've been loosening up that rule for women lately, so who knows?

-Vaportrail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.