main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Lightsaber Choreography Contest V Has Begun!**

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think more importantly, it's previously unreleased on the internet. If no one here has seen it before you should be okay.

M. Scott

2. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Yes, if it wasn't hosted (seen on the internet) before then it's cool.

3. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Yep what he said. So Tiger and JediPastor are back again, that raises the bar for sure and will make it all the better. I'm working with my guys now to see if we can squeeze this in before deadline. Hopefully we can make it work.

4. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    This is an idea Sage, JBK and myself have been throwing around for the LCC.

We were thinking of possibly making DVD's, therefore we'd need full resolution masters of each entry. How do you guys feel about that? We know that the LCC is an introduction to the complexities of video to some people. Would that -potential- requirement make you first timers think twice about entering?

5. noron

noron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2007
    That would be great, it wouldn't deter me in the slightest.

6. davsat5

davsat5 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    No, that idea sounds great to me.

7. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    Me too. Sounds cool.

8. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002

Not that I'm involved in this contest in any way... But I'm going inject an opinion anyway...

The spirit of the rule, is that you can't take something that you created for something else and just suddenly release it for the sake of this contest.
    The spirit of the rule says that the whole point is for you to create something for this contest.

In my view, that means, if you created a film that happened to have some saber fighting in it, for a project in school. And it was originally created for that project in school, then it was not created for this contest. And therefore... If you want to enter the contest, you should create an entry for it, like everyone else is expected to.

If you take something that you already built for something else, and submit it for this contest, you are double dipping. And you are going against the rules of the contest. Or more importantly, against the spirit of the rule that says, "it must never have been released before."

The decision on this is obviously to be made by the owners of the competition. But, I for one, would look badly on an entry that was a school project first, and an entry for this comp second.

//Crawls away with yet another unpopular opinion spoken out loud.

9. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Actually he is right. I hate to flip flop on an earlier decision, but I'm going to agree with Durb. You can not do that.

You must create an entry specifically for this Contest.

10. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Well as I am only 15, I'm poor XD and ive only got a mini DV. Is that good enough?

11. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    Given the choice, I'd enter this before LCC5. That being said, I look forward to watching everyone's entries this year. I've got a project that's going to most likely keep me out of the running . . . . not that I've ever entered, but I always want to.

Such is life . . . . :rolleyes:

12. Goddard11

Goddard11 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2003
    Does anyone know what their policy is on releasing the video after it is submitted to the contest? How long should we wait until we post it on youtube or our own website for example?

13. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    But everybody else is NOT expected to. The only thing people were initially "expected" to do is submit a film that fits the criteria. If you had one in your pocket, good for you. If you create one for the contest, also good for you.

I say bull, but that's just me. The spirit of the rule is, to me, not to put out a film that everyone has already seen.

With the rules being as lenient as they are and allowing for story and costumes and anything else as long as it's within the 5 minute window, how would you even know?

I'm going to ask you the same question: how would you know the difference? Why make a rule you cannot enforce?

My feeling is the more entries, the better, and as long as they fit within the rules of the competition who cares when or why they were made?

M. Scott

14. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    What's the fun of submitting something that you've already made when you can make something original and possibly better?

SB

15. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    The fun of entering the competition and being a part of the race to place when you can't make something new (original is hardly an accurate word) and better.

Your sparring partner moved away and you can't make a new video but you have an old one that hasn't been entered before.

You're busy with schoolwork BUT you can manage to work it so that you could make a class assignment double as your entry.

Use your imagination, the point is that you get to enter the competition when you otherwise couldn't.

M. Scott

16. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Look... For the record, I actually agree with the sentiment that Dorkman presents.
    It's all a matter of how you feel about what your are entering. If you feel you are morally sound in entering something that was never intended for this contest, then do it. But expect a just reaction if people call shenanagins.
    If you submit something that you created, not realizing that this contest would happen - and it just happens to fit - well, then, there really should be no moral problem with entering it. But you may still get some people calling shenanagins.

As I said before, though I stated a rather firm argument, I am not part of this contest. I have nothing to do with it other than being an audience member like most others. Well, there is this administrative thing where I'll be hosting a viewer poll. But, still, I am not involved in the makeup, rules, or acceptance criteria. I am just some dude standing at his laptop in the kitchen typing some ****.

I opened a discussion. I don't want it to tarnish the comp.

Forget I said anything, and let the owners of the comp make the final decision.

17. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    JBK, Sage and myself have agreed. The entries for this years LCC has to be made specifically for this Contest. Sorry guys.

18. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    With the dvd concept, does that mean we mail in our entry on dvd or what is the full quality idea targeting? it might be too much for the newer people.

19. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    I was thinking about this, this is what I had in mind.

Entries will be mailed to me in an uncompressed file (.avi) on a CD if it fits. If not on a DVD (Data). If it's too big to fit on either, you can cut the entry in two and send it on two DVDs.

20. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    What does this do to the due date?

21. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    For a 5 minute film? Can't I just send you an MPEG file or a full quality AVI file via yousendit or give you a link to download it from?

22. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    You obviously don't know how huge a 5 min uncompress vid can be.

23. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Sure I do. I've made plenty of 5 minute movies. But it's not so unreasonable that I couldn't throw it on my server as an MPEG 2 and get you a link.

24. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Tell me, how big is a 5 min MPEG-2 file, with hopefully an AC3 audio compression?

25. davsat5

davsat5 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    I've got a 7min (DVD quality, 720x576, 6000kbps video, 25fps, 224kbps audio, 48,000Hz) file and it's 350MB in size.

The same file in umcompressed avi is about 12GB in size!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.