main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Lightsaber Choreography Contest V Has Begun!**

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Yep uncompressed is huge no matter how long it is. I like the idea though, but it makes eadline trickier with mailing and all that.

2. IndyDreams

IndyDreams Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Under 300 mb.

3. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    No G-Unit, this won't be part of the deadline. This is something you can do after the contest, for anyone who wants to participate.

Indydreams, I prefer an uncompress version because I need to work with the footage in FCP and take it into DVD Studio Pro.

4. IndyDreams

Apr 7, 2005
    Ok, could you explain that? Because I use both programs that you mentioned and I could get you a DVD studio compatible version.

5. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Just personal preference as I have been working with these programs both at work and at home and have been comfortable doing it this way. Now remember, participating in this is optional.

6. IndyDreams

Apr 7, 2005
    Alright, that's cool.

7. davsat5

davsat5 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    I've already made a DVD for my entry, with interactive menus and extras, it totals to about 600mb, can I just send that in instead of the uncompressed version?

8. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    No because it's already been compress for DVD.

9. davsat5

May 22, 2006
    Is a uncompressed avi file really nessecary, can't it just be a really high bitrate divx or something?

10. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    No way! Divx is a codec you compress with. It's either an uncompressed .avi or a High Quality DV/DVCPRO footage for you Mac users out there.

11. davsat5

May 22, 2006
    So you will only accept uncompressed avi? Is that RGB or YUY?

12. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    That would be RGB. But remember, this is for AFTER the contest, but BEFORE you start deleting files of the project to save space....or backup...or whatever you guys do with files after a completed project.

13. davsat5

May 22, 2006
    Right, I'm guessing we'll have more information when the time comes.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm not too good at this compression stuff. Is DV AVI considered uncompressed?

15. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yes it is, but there are compressions for that specific format. I've not played around with them too much. Standard procedure for me is to render out an .avi uncompressed to hang onto, but for distribution on the internet/YouTube/etc, I render out a 50-70% quality half-res Quicktime Sorenson 3 with IMA 4:1 compressed mono audio.

Wieber showed me how to do this back when I was first getting into compressions, and it still works just as well for anything I've needed. It should keep your average lightsaber duel under 30mb. If you film in HD you may have to shrink the res even more, but it's just something you have to play with, like anything else.

-Vaportrail

16. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    I was under the impression that DV AVI had an automatic compression setting.

:confused:

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, well, I always render it out in sorenson 3 for internet distribution, and always use DV AVI (standard Premiere PAL settings) for the file I hang on to. I was just wondering about that because they want an uncompressed file for the DVD.

18. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    okay, that makes sense obijuan. if my entry makes the deadline then i will definitely be sending a uncompressed version your way.

19. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Thanks G-Unit.

Wow lol I forgot all about PAL. Looks like I have some reading to do.

20. G-Unit

May 23, 2004
    yeah no prob, just have to figure out a way to squeeze it in now before may 1 lol. *goes back to calendar*

21. davsat5

May 22, 2006
    I can send a DV AVI also (PAL).

22. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    Nice, I cant wait to see the other entries. I'm happy I have access to an HD cam, although compressing it to 30 megs will be interesting, though it can be done. Good luck everyone!!

23. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Entries that end up on the DVD are the ones who sent me the correct (recommended) file type. If your entry isn't on there, that can only mean that I couldn't work with the file you sent me. I'll leave it at that. Call it a surprise if you will ;) . But like I said, this will be addressed further AFTER the contest.

24. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    As it's already been stated, we'll give you guys a date for public release, voting, and in the end, The Judges Panel reviews.

Good luck to everyone!

Sage H.

25. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    While I was watching the Superbowl today (Go Colts), I was thinking about organizing the LCC DVD (I like to think ahead) and I had an idea on how to make this easier for all who participate.

How many of you (NTSC) know how to compress to m2v?

*If this was suggested before I sincerly apologize. My memory isn't too good.

For PAL I'm still going to need an uncompress AVI...unless you know how to convert PAL to NTSC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.