main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Lightsaber Choreography Contest V Has Begun!**

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    just to make you feel better, I just came back filming. We finished!!!! I will be editing some tonight, possibly some tommorow, then I send it in. I am so exausted. We used the envrioment alot, really. It was great. One question though. I obviously do not have time to rotoscoped. However, there is one shot where sabers get deactivaded, so we filmed with the hilts only. The thing is, they start in the shot rotoscoped. My question is, if I cant rotoscope it, will the judges and the viewers know what is happining with the sabers?

Bruce

PS, it went from 43 entries to 30. I knew it was too good to be true.

2. BkStudio

BkStudio Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2007
    mine in my opinion sucks but im still sending it in but i actually already got someone to make one for the next competition

3. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    That isn't really a question we can answer. What I would do in that case, is just throw a sound effect of the saber turning off, and people should get the gist of it.

4. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    so pretty much if I have the saber sounds, it will be judged as if there is a prop that then dissears? Thanks.

5. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Is anyone else not going to make the due date? Because my actor has bailed on me and i doubt i'll be able to shoot my entry, edit it, and figure out how to compress it to 30kb by 11pm tomorrow, i highly doubt i'm going to make the deadline, but i'll still try.

:S. Oh well, easy come easy go, eh?

6. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Heh, Im confused, are you in or out? Sounds like you're out.

And you'll be compresing to 30MB no 30KB

7. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    I thought you had already shot and were in post, weren't you?

8. The_Mandalorian_

Dec 24, 2004
    Nope, we had the end to go, but one of my guys bailed for the third time, heh. So what we might do is shoot tomorrow morning and i'll try to bust my butt to get it in.

If you'd look you'd see that i said i'll still try ;)

9. Calvinthejedi

Calvinthejedi Jedi Master star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    If I send in my entry larger then 30MB, is it possible for someone to compress it for me, or do I just need to do it for myself?

Also, does it matter if the entry is in 16:9, or does it need to be 4:3?

Finally, does it have to be in MOV Format, or can I have a MPEG-4 format?

10. The_Mandalorian_

Dec 24, 2004
    16:9 forever, mang! But uh, i'm not sure myself.

11. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    16:9 or 4:3 shouldn't matter. And personally, I would recommend doing either a Sorenson3 or H.264 QuickTime movie. 480 x 270 is a nice size for 16:9, and 480 x 360 for 4:3. I'm going to try to submit a 480p version (848 x 480 is the 16:9 resolution) of mine. I've been sending WIPs to Alex like that, and they have all been around 33MB, so I'm sure I could squeeze it down a bit. Then again, I've yet to add credits.

Anywho, that's just what I think.

Oh hey, what'd'ya know...

12. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004

You would have to compress yourself. NEVER re-compress, just try it again with different settings.

Most likely you might have a 720x480 video, at 29.97fps. You would use the Sorenson Squeeze codec.

Try a 768 bitrate
    Keyframe every 300 keyframes. (For some reason Sorenson Squeeze works better if you put 300 frames. I just use it and it works....very well.)
    Quality slider can be left between High and Best (a tad towards Best).

And of course for Audio you can use IMA 4:1 with 41000KHz stereo. If anything, you can bring it down to 35000 I believe the number is.

These setting should work for a under 5min. vid. Good luck.

13. JediCow

JediCow Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    The only way I can convert is by taking a video file (AVI or something), bringing it into Super, a free video conversion program, and doing a conversion to mov. When I play the video there's either no video and just sound or it freezes up Quicktime.

14. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Ok, what codec do you use to make the mov file?

15. JediCow

Jun 27, 2005
    It's set to h263p, but there's a bunch of other options.

16. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Do you see Sorenson Video 3?

17. JediCow

Jun 27, 2005
    No, that's not one of the options.

18. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    How about posting a screen grab of the options?

19. JediCow

Jun 27, 2005
    Here it is:
    http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?image=optionscd4.jpg

20. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    JediCow:

You might want to try h.264 then. I thought if one had After Effects installed into their system, that any program able to render would have the Sorenson codec.

Also, let me clarify because someone was still confused and I dont want to scare anyone else. The entries must be in my hands BEFORE May 1st 11:59:59 p.m. EST. Which means Tuesday night going into Wednesday. I will not take anymore entries after 12:00 a.m. mostly because I have to sleep cause I have work the next day.

21. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    Hehehehe, I miss read your post. O:) My bad.

22. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Tuesday May 1st at 11:59:59 p.m. What happens when it reaches 12:00 a.m.?...it becomes Wednesday May 2nd. So yes, I am sure.

23. JediCow

Jun 27, 2005
    I just got it to work as a quicktime file using the DivX codec, is that okay, it's the only one I can seem to make work. Also, how do you want us to send it to you, just pm a yousendit link or something?

24. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    Hmmm...DivX Quicktime.....yeah. Use Yousendit.com

25. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    sorry it is taking me so long. This is my 3rd render attempt, because I would get it deffinatly under 30 mbs, but the quality looks like a cell phone video, only at 320x240. So I am rendering again, and hopefully it will work. If anyone wants to help with my situation, 24 fps, 320x240 and audio. It is also 4 minutes and 58 seconds including titles. If this export doesnt work, I dont know what I will do.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.