main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber color looks wrong

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Casper_13, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casper_13

Casper_13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    I'm new at rotoscoping and AE and stuff,and im using ryans tutorial on lightsabers.Im not totally finished with rotoscoping but i was trying to already aplly the lightsaber effect(color and things) and it all worked,but on the end the tutorial says: punch up the midtones and hightones for the color you want...so I did,and I checked the "preserve luminosity" box,but my lightsaber looks very very ugly,totally not like the lightsabers in other fanfilms,like Ryan vs Dorkman.I am creating a red lightsaber but ive tried other colors,it just didn't work,i had midtones up at 100 and hightones up at 100,but my saber looks really fake,its totally red,instead of a white core and red glow.I doesn't even look glowy.....and lowering the midtones and hightones wont work,it just looks more ulgy then....what am i doing wrong,i read every step of the tutorial like 100 times :p , ive followed it precisely

2. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Could you post a picture of what it looks like?

3. Casper_13

Casper_13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
  4. Casper_13

Casper_13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    i cant figure out how to do it,can you give me your emailadress so i can send it ?

5. danielhilsden

danielhilsden Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2005
    Hey Ive had similar problems, do you get the problem where your lightsaber is simple white? Follow tutorial to exact, simple moving a layer solved my problem, I found myself wasting about an hour editing about 30 secs worth of footage(yeah that slow), and I messed one thing up and poof! White lightsaber (how annoyed was I).
    Edit: Are you sure your adjusting colour balance and not something else?

6. Casper_13

Casper_13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    no its not white,its just not glowy,and no white core,if someone tell me how vto post an image,i can show you,and yes im sure im adjusting colorbalance.

EDIT :Ive sent my picture to you,Ryan, i hope you can hlp me..

7. Casper_13

Casper_13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    I think ive found it,it had to do with the blurriness,the tutorial says that for far away shots you should use 5,10,20 ,but i only get a good effect(and i have a close shot) with 1,2,4 or someting...but im not sure,it still doesnt look superior

8. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yeah, looks like you're blurring your core layer too much. Keep in mind when I (we) say something like "Give it a blur of 5, 10, 20" we don't mean your core is blurred 5, we mean your first glow layer is 5... your core should be whatever looks best... like 1 or m,aybe .5 or something.

9. Casper_13

Casper_13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    ok tnx , il try a bit of messing/changing with the blur,ive tried some other things myself,like changing contrast / brightness helps too... and if i give the core a good blur,then the core will be white right?

10. Casper_13

Casper_13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2005
    ooooooooh,ok i found out now,you have to use separate layers for the aura,cus when i clicked the triangles and went edit>> duplicate,the layer wasnt duplicated,but only the blur so I had 1 white solid layer,and then fast blur1,fast blur 2, etc,and that was only the core layer....ok but that is weird cus the tutorial says click the triangles,and if I click the triangles,AE doesnt duplicate the layer,but that doesnt matter,at least i have good looking sabers now...

11. Jedi-Avatar

Jedi-Avatar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    Yeah, I found that to be the case the first time I tried to make a saber. In AE you need to deselect the layer first, then click the layer name. If you don't, the last change you made is what is selected. In this case, the gaussian (I assume) blur under effects. So you end up duplicating the blur, not the layer.

Until I saw what was going on under those triangles I was quite frustrated.

12. Fbar58

Fbar58 Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2003
    if you play around with the highlights a little not too much! but if you play around with it it will look much more... how to say stronger.... since i cant see the pic ill try to see if i can show ya some examples... http://image34.webshots.com/34/8/1/20/263980120DcBCVl_ph.jpg this is the first one without the highlight

http://image34.webshots.com/34/8/2/48/263980248aVDaVG_ph.jpg
    second w/highlight

the sabers look a little weird cause of the picture qual... but notice the glow :p

13. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Your links are "forbidden".

14. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    drag and drop Corrin

15. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Thank you Crunchy

16. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
  17. Fbar58

Fbar58 Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2003
    i hoped that helped... again i dont what your stuff looks like... but if you want send me a email fbar58@hotmail.com ... ill see what your dealing wit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.