main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LIGHTSABER COLORS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darth_jess, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_jess

darth_jess Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    Why is it in the Star Wars movies that the only lightsaber colors are green, blue, purple, and red? I think it's be awesome to see yellow, silver, black, orange, or even hot pink?

Strilo edit: We have a thread about saber colors already.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    CGI technology has not yet become advanced enough to handle any colors than these four.

3. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    Yah right. If they can make full CGI movies they can make a yellow lightsaber. It's because George doesn't want any other colors.

4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    ezekiel - I don't know if you're kidding or not, but you should head over to Fan Films; every lightsabre under the sun has been done by people with computers no more advanced than the one you're using right now.

As I said in the other thread, I would have preferred a wider range of sabre colors. It was an aesthetic decision of some sort by Lucas, but I don't really understand. (Besides the obvious red=bad guy, I don't hold much to sabre color symbolism theories.)

-Paul

5. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Short answer: because Lucas decided that Jedi only use blue or green colored sabres, and Sith use Red. Sam Jackson asked for a purple one, and GL let him have it. But that's it.

6. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    George uses colour like a composer uses certain instruments to depict or invoke various emotions. George always has the good guys around "earth tone" colours which include brown, green and blue. The bad guys are in monotone or sharply contrasting colours like black, white and, of course, deep blood red. Interestingly, Leia wore white, but she was brought up during the Imperial rein and had to fit in with the Imperial Senate, which of course is evil.

You will note that the yellows and oranges George used on the Jedi Council floor are more "earthy" tones than a bright fluorescent which is what a lightsabre would be if he used yellow and orange on them. That's probably the reason why he doesn't use those colours for sabre blades. They would contrast too much and lose the earth tones he wants for the good guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.