main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lightsaber colours in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Normal_Nerds, Sep 13, 2013.

?

Are there any new lightsaber colours that you'd like to see on the big screen?

1. No. Just stick with red, blue and green.

31.6%
  2. Yellow

42.7%
  3. Orange

24.3%
  4. Purple/Violet

22.6%
  5. Different shade of blue (such as cyan from KotOR II)

16.3%
  6. Different shade of green (such as viridian from KotOR II or Ahsoka's shoto)

17.4%
  7. Silver

23.3%
  8. Other (please specify)

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that's your opinion.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Most posts on a forum are the poster's opinion.

3. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    you're opinion is wrong. ha ha!

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    An opinion can't be right or wrong.

5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    twas a joke.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  6. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    My bet is we'll only have Luke and an apprentice as Jedi so my bet is that for Ep7 we'll have Luke with green and the apprentice with blue and any baddies with lightsabers in red. The only way we'll get any additional color is if there's a third Jedi (which would probably be purple or gold as the colors to either side of the usual blue-green spectrum) or they really feel the need to distinguish between one or more bad guys by giving them a distinct color (in which case I'd expect purple and/or orange as the colors to either side of red to be used by other villains... and I could totally see Lupita getting a purple blade if she ends up fighting alongside Driver with a traditional red blade and is planned to return in Ep8).

The movies have always gone 'color-coded for your convenience' to the point of Anakin being randomly thrown a green lightsaber during the battle on Geonosis so he could more easily be told apart from Obi-Wan (who got randomly thrown a blue one) so I do think we'll get enough distinct colors to tell the main players apart, but the traditional colors will definitely go to the biggest players first (i.e. Luke will be green, the main new young Jedi will get blue and the main villain will get red) before we branch out.

As a side-bar, the only way I expect to see a purple saber in the hands of a Jedi in the ST is if we get the Nightsisters with their flaming green blades in the films. Purple against green is a nice contrast, but purple against red isn't nearly as distinct.

Dak Oolron, dyous87 and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    So if Daisy Riddly is a Jedi what color Saber do we think she will have and what kind of Saber?

8. dyous87

dyous87 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 5, 2006
    I'd kind of hope she has a standard single bladed yellow/gold lightsaber. I'd like to see a major character with this color.

9. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    I want her to have a double bladed blue lightsaber personally. I just love saber staffs they are so cool.

dyous87 and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Myself656

Feb 5, 2008
    Oh, she'll definitely be a Jedi eventually and when that happens my bet is she'll use a standard true-blue lightsaber. Saber-staves and dual-wielding are fancy, but nothing says you're a true Jedi like relying on a single standard lightsaber (more than that is a sign you're looking for a fight instead of violence as a last resort... a single blade also shows they're putting their faith in the power of the Force to protect them instead of on elaborate and flashy weapons). My suspicion is that Daisy will start out untrained though and won't even touch a lightsaber during Ep7 unless its a desperation move using someone else's weapon during the final battle.

My gut tells me that Luke will have an apprentice/newly minted knight in Ep7 who uses a standard blue saber and will initially appear poised to be the next big hero of the series (my bet is on Gleeson), but then will be killed by the villain in the climactic lightsaber duel (as a mirror to the PT and OT where the master was killed by the villain) and in the aftermath Luke will take on Daisy as his apprentice and have her pretty well trained by the time Ep8 rolls around a couple years later (Skywalker blood letting her accomplish in months what takes most potential Jedi years).

dyous87 likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, I've been saying this since she was cast–I want her to have a single-bladed yellow saber.

12. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    Good theory but I think she will be an apprentice already and Boyega will be the guy who has never picked up a saber. So what saber should Boyega have?

Revanfan1 and dyous87 like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark blue (slightly darker than the blaster bolts clones fire) maybe?

Revanfan1 and dyous87 like this.
  14. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Didn't Stacy (aka Pink Five) have a pink-bladed lightsaber? lol

15. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    (My previous post was too old to begin the training edit, so double-posting "is... unavoidable.")

Yep, another example of something being canon and very stupid at the same time...
    I think he would rock a blue lightsaber. And I agree that if Lupita wields a lightsaber, it should be yellow.

In general, I hate double-bladed lightsabers as they aren't very practical in reality. Using two separate blades (lightsaber + shoto) on the other hand, would be more useful.

Sarge likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would enjoy the tribute to the Kenner Luke toy.

Revanfan1, dyous87 and Dak Oolron like this.
  17. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    They are actually very practical against more then one opponent.

18. Myself656

Feb 5, 2008
    Really depends on who THE lead is. Whichever one is the lead will not start out trained because we should be experiencing their journey from the beginning.

I also expect that there will be only ONE Jedi amongst the new trio of heroes (they'll want each one to be as unique as possible) and there have already been reports of Boyega decked out as a Stormtrooper surfacing. There's just not much dramatic sense to shifting someone with such a unique hook (we've never had a Stormtrooper as a HERO before) and making him into the most generic brand of good guy possible in Star Wars (i.e. yet another Jedi).

19. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    How? Seems mostly like added liability to me.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    Well all I can tell you is that double bladed swords and staffs are not new to combat and have there benefits over a sword. I agree that I would want a sword over a quarterstaff but that doesn't mean they are useless. A staff provides double the means of blocking and double the means of attack.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    A couple dozen students from a martial arts school, who trained with swords, were hired to play various background Jedi. They were using their skills and what Gillard showed them. I don't know what you were expecting.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. Myself656

Feb 5, 2008
    The distinction that needs to made here is that a staff doesn't chop your hand off of you if you grip it outside the very middle or cleave you in two when a powerful blow bumps a part of the haft up against your waist. If you've got glowing death as your blade you want it as far away from your vulnerable bits as possible. Ray Park may have been able able to make it not look ridiculous, but that doesn't mean its not a horrendously impractical weapon.

Now a pole-arm with a ray shield generator to protect the haft and hands of the user and a lightsaber blade at the end on the other hand... THAT would allow you to leverage the reach and better blocking ability without the 'instant death' being so close.

Dak Oolron, Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.
  23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I liked this post just for the bolded part because it was funny. :p

Anyways, I've never had a problem with a double-bladed lightsaber, but I don't want it to be common. It should be a weapon that only someone extremely talented with a lightsaber should be able to use it, and even then they should have to train with it constantly to avoid murdering themselves. Maul, from what we know, trained with that thing, or a practice version, since he was a child. I wouldn't mind seeing a lightsaber polearm, either.

[​IMG]

Sarge, Redimet and Iron_lord like this.
  24. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    In the first Darth Bane novel, there's a discussion over whether double bladed lightsabers are better or not. In the end, Bane goes up against a fellow Sith trainee (one of his biggest rivals, actually) who has a double-bladed lightsaber. Of course, Bane is victorious. I'd like to think that it's pretty true, though. One blade or two... what matters is the one behind the blade.

Hmmm... pink lightsaber... What if we had a gay Jedi with a pink blade? GIIIIIRRRLLLL!!!! :D

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wasn't happy at all that Savage "stole" the double bladed saber from Maul in TCW and dressed more Sith-like than Maul.

dyous87 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.