main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lightsaber colours in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Normal_Nerds, Sep 13, 2013.

?

Are there any new lightsaber colours that you'd like to see on the big screen?

1. No. Just stick with red, blue and green.

31.6%
  2. Yellow

42.7%
  3. Orange

24.3%
  4. Purple/Violet

22.6%
  5. Different shade of blue (such as cyan from KotOR II)

16.3%
  6. Different shade of green (such as viridian from KotOR II or Ahsoka's shoto)

17.4%
  7. Silver

23.3%
  8. Other (please specify)

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

And when you get right down to it, I think that's the reason there weren't many colors in the PT... because the general public doesn't care. So, keep the colors few and simple to make it easy on the FX people.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    This movie is unlikely to have anything new as i doubt Rey builds her own saber, and it'll probably be a while before Finn gets one. But in 8 or 9 we'll probably see some new sabers.

3. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Bad guy with a white saber would be fantastic! Lucas wouldn't really care, besides the "it's not what I would've done" attitude he always had about the EU; now, however, it's no longer "his". Anyway, even white was sorta introduced in TCW; Tera Sinube's was either white, silver, or a very, very pale blue, I forget which it's actually supposed to be.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  4. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Technically, we do kinda have a new color. The broadsaber is a different red than any red seen before. Still red, but a different shade.

5. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    It's less a new color than a new type of blade. Still too red to qualify as "ooo, new color!" in my book.

6. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    A thread about lightsaber colors???

I think Ive reached my nerd threshhold... cant take any more.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is the same logic that gave us "Moraband".

Revanfan1 and Toonimator like this.
  8. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Nothing would surprise me, but I imagine they'll stick to what will look attractive in a live-action film, and save red/orange for the bad guys.

That narrows down to primary and secondary colors. I suppose you could see purple again, maybe even yellow. With (presumably) very few lightsaber people running around in this era I don't see them getting too clever with it though. I'd expect your classic colors in this movie.

9. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    i do personally think we will see a yellow saber in the st.

Toonimator and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Yellow is likely. I would love orange, and if the bad guys are really hoarding relics we might even get the darksaber (probably not in Maul's own hand, but who knows). SWTOR really spoiled us with lightsaber colors.

Toonimator likes this.
  11. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    what makes you say yellow is likely?

12. Chewbacca's Stylist

Chewbacca's Stylist Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2014
    Classic colors + a purple one most likely. I don't see there being many lightsabers until the very end of the trilogy, so too may colors and you risk looking like the Mighty Morphing Power Jedi.

13. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    This will be the 663rd post about the possible color of lightsaber in the next star wars movie. Crayola manufactures 133 different colors, which means, every single color that crayola makes could have been suggested and discussed 5 times already, yet here we are.

So, if it hasn't been brought up, i would like to see a Jazberry Jam saber, Atomic Tangerine, Mountain Medow and of course a Purple Pizzazzs saber.

14. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Just a gut fealing. In Legends the 3 basic colors for Jedi were Blue, Green and Yellow

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    1. "It would confuse people." That's the logic that gave us "Moraband".

2. "It looks silly." Based on that logic, all lightsabers should be colorless.

Toonimator likes this.
  16. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Yellow also goes back to the 1978 Kenner toys. The first Luke w/ a lightsaber figure had a yellow blade. Bespin Luke had a yellow blade. The Obi-Wan figure had a blue blade, but look at the card photo!
    [​IMG]

...those are reason enough for me to wanna see yellow in the ST, but there's also how it looked pretty damn sweet in the KOTOR games, Zayne Carrick sporting one in the KOTOR comic, the Jedi Temple Guards in TCW, and it's the first 'different' color crystal you could score in SWTOR as a low-level Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular on the starting world (totally worth the dark side point you usually/always get for helping the Padawans in exchange for the crystal)--and once you lit up that yellow blade, it looked fantastic.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    When someone posts that "Sith" is a prequel thing, everyone will say that they're wrong because it was in the OT novelizations, so when someone posts that lightsaber colors other than red, blue, and green are a prequel thing, why doesn't anyone say that they're wrong because Luke's Kenner toy had a yellow saber?

Rabs likes this.
  18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
  19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    If the color of a lightsaber manages to somehow "confuse" someone, then the said lightsaber is the least of that person's problems in life.

20. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'd dig a gold or silver saber, tbh.

But part of me would love to see a saber that changes colours when it's twirled just right, 'cause that'd be funky and pretty. Then there's a part of me that doesn't want them to change anything just to sell toys.

21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I instantly recognize red sabers as belonging to bad guys. So if there was a scene with a guy holding a red saber and helping old ladies across the street or visiting orphanages with gifts, I might get confused. Other than that, yeah. That confused person probably needs therapeutic assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    That'd be a good confusion, tho, potentially... "What's his story? A good Sith Lord? Whaaa?!"

My preference is having a villain sport a saber color we've not seen on the big screen, like yellow, white, maybe even another purple, so it isn't some instant "Oooooh, he's the bad guy" thing. Jedi & Sith (or, if you prefer, good Force-users and evil Force-users) shouldn't be color-coded like Autobot & Decepticon badges.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  23. Markpro

Markpro Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    A Tartan Lightsaber...Darth McDeath shouts "Freedom" as the Force Awakens.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed. The colour association thing is too simplistic not to mention misleading. Colours aren't good or evil and it has been shown some use different shades it doesn't readily identify 'side' to keep implying it does when there is already example that is doesn't is counterproductive. Really all a lightsabre does is announce they are usually Force Users and that is even not always true given Han in ESB. Let the intent of a character declare him not the shade of his weapon.

25. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I hope they do away with the typical green, blue and red sabers, and go with black, yellow, orange, white, brown and violet. Even multi colored sabers would be great for the disney trilogy.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.