main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Lightsaber Combat at "Once Upon a Con"

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Wild Sidewalker, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Saturday, May 16
    Central Terminal

At Once Upon A Con, I will be presenting a panel discussion on the Star Wars universe's account of the development and practice of lightsaber combat with a particular focus on the Seven Forms; this will include a PowerPoint presentation as well as a booklet. I will also be presenting a workshop on performing lightsaber duels for film and stage; this will include actual physical practice and demonstration of specific skills. At this time the exact times for both the panel and the workshop are still to be determined.

In the meantime, I would like to invite my fellow North Ridge club members to join in the fun! It is a given that exact times that day could change a person's availability; once I have exact times, I will post them here. But, if you know you would enjoy being on the panel discussing lightsaber combat or would like to help demonstrate/teach skills as part of the workshop, please indicate so below. Once I have actual times, I will firm up commitments to these events at the con.

If you don't think you wish to be a part of the panel or the workshop, but are still planning on attending the con, I hope you'll stop by. :)

2. 72Princess1

72Princess1 President - NR star 4

Feb 27, 2015
  3. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    The panel will be 4:00 - 4:45 PM followed by a panel on "The Science in Science Fiction" by my brother, Doug Borzynski, of the Buffalo Museum of Science.

4. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
  5. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Looks like I'll be on my own, your highness.

6. 72Princess1

Feb 27, 2015
    I spoke with John at an event at the Terminal Event last night and he is VERY excited about this!!!

It would be great if Bill could have some help with this!! I will still be unable to yield a saber for this.

7. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    I'm not sure of my availability, due to work. Would my rudimentary dueling skills be helpful in any way if I were able to make it?

8. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Bill, I would offer to help but my skills are also limited as my character uses few moves.

If anyone is able to help, I highly encourage you to help. This is the first run of this con and if we hope for another, this one needs to be successful. Bill has stepped up and offered to put together a panel for the group. He has my full seal of approval and I expect nothing short of a professional, informative and fun presentation.

Who is in?

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  9. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks, Chris! Since this is going to be a panel, it is a PowerPoint presentation along with panel member discussion; no performance component. So, panel members need only be prepared to talk about lightsaber combat as it appeared in the live films, animation, and as it is described and discussed in novels and comic books.

10. Lee Solara

Lee Solara North Ridge Secretary star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Sorry I think that is a bit over my head.

11. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Hahaha! Definitely better over than under your head when it comes to lightsaber combat. I hope than perhaps your Reynolds clan might be able to come as attendees if not sitting on the panel.

Lee Solara likes this.
  12. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    I will be attending the event, but I don't have the background to contribute to this panel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.