main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber combat in d20

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jim, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
    Well techniquely they shouldn't draw them until they have to.

Um, this is Star Wars. The credence for not attacking unless they have to is pretty much guaranteed by virtue of the game. That is, most any combat situation is going to be pretty obvious on the outset. As for the Jedi Code nonsense about the Jedi never attacking, it holds no water given Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan attacked from ambush to rescue Queen Amidala and her entourage.

I agree, but they shouldn't have to rely on other weaopns, they have regular skills and force skills that they can use. I used a combination of Friendship and diplomacy on a sith to have her forgo killing off one of the players.

Ah, 'I can't attack you, but I can mess with your head with Force powers'. A double standard if you asked me. The Diplomacy skill exists for people who can't role play. A character bargained with a Sith? Remember when Darth Maul was separated from Qui-Gon by the force field? Remember how he ferally paced back and forth like a caged animal while Jinn meditated to calm himself, (or possibly heal himself). Would you have believed if Qui-Gon had stood up, clipped his lightsaber to his belt, and said, "Can't we talk about this?". Of course not. And I don't think a Sith would have listened, either. The Friendship might have worked, but I think it unlikely that she would have been given the chance since I am assuming they were face to face when it happened. A Sith would have been on a Jedi like ugly on an ape once he knew the jig was up.

2. Runeknight

Runeknight Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    The Diplomacy skill exists for people who can't role play

I agree and I disagree. If the player says to the GM use my diplomacy skill to change her mind, then I'm with you 100%. But if the player comes up with a compelling argument then GM might decide to have them roll a Diplomacy check to see if this paticular NPC was persuaded, because not every Npc is going to react the same way nor are they as far down the dark path as others. And if I don't try to show them the path back to the lightside then I'm no better Than they are.

I'm Playing a Jedi Consular and my family name is Peacecraft. If/when I draw my saber then I have either exhausted all avenues of peace or I have turned to the darkside.

I just happen to luck out and saved our scout from being added to the 15 that already lay dead that day.

Would you have believed if Qui-Gon had stood up, clipped his lightsaber to his belt, and said, "Can't we talk about this?". Of course not

Agreed, he Doesn't have Freindship so he wouldn't have been able to calm Maul down enough to listen. Plus Maul was most like pretty far down the dark path and Qui-Gon was only a Guardian. Guardians are trained to be more agressive than Consulars, thats why if you look at the DSSB you'll notice that more Guardians have been turned to the Darkside than Consulars.

Sorry for getting off topic Jim.

Another thing you might do is If your baddy is starting to loose have him try to flee so he can comeback to fight in a later module.
    make your npcs set the pace of the battle not the Pcs, that way if the PCs start getting irritated because the battle isn't goin thier way then you can start adding modifiers to reflect thier loss of focus, letting emotions cloud thier judgement.

Just another 2 cents.

3. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Great points on all sides. Its amazing how long this discusion has been going on. Especially since most of the people where posting from pretty much the start.

4. Dev_Jannz

Dev_Jannz Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2001
    I think a good way to do lightsaber combat would be to use the optional rule of rolling the defense and adding the characters defence bonus to the rolled number and if it is greater than the attack roll then he blocked it and loses no vitality. If he does not block it then the character loses vitality, which in game terms means that he still got out of the way but it cost him enegry to do it. Once the characters vitality is gone and they start taking wounds that would mean that the character is getting tired and was not able to get out of the way. This is basically what happened to Qui-Gon in ep1. Just a thought.

5. Jacen_Solo3

Jacen_Solo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2001

I really like this idea. I may incorporate it into my upcomming campaign.

6. Jedi_Master_Lennier

Jedi_Master_Lennier Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    The Diplomacy skill exists for people who can't role play

Our GM has a good idea. If you say I use Diplomacy on him, the GM will set a target number and move on.
    If you tell him what you say and are trying to do with your Diplomacy then you will probably get a bonus to the skill roll or a better result than would be indicated by the result.

7. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    I personally have the players start talking, then have them make a check and adjust the DC according to what was said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.