main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by *DMaul*, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Okay for all you people who can't get the mighty on2 (660k) version to work, here is the bloated 2.5MB Sorenson 3 equivalent for you to try. (Have I ever told anyone I like the on2 codec? :p )

2. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    Really Daft, I would never have guessed.

:D

3. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    I LOVE the on2 codec!! It's great! However, the QDesign Music 2 sound codec makes file sizes large at 16bit 22khz sound :(

4. Streen81

Streen81 Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    Well I already sent this to DMaul, but if anyone else wants to check it out, you're more than welcome to:

http://www.thejedi.org/movies/hwum.zip

It's a short .avi movie I made in Corel PhotoPaint with lightsaber effects and sound. Sorry if the size is a bit much.

5. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    UPDATE

Well, the list is great. A good varaity of stuff :)

I will be taking more people until 5PM Mountain Time. After that, I'll post the FINAL list and what I'm gonna need my final guys to do :)

So, here is the list:

Photoshop: Ryan_W, sinistergfx

Commotion: pahket

AE: Riskbreaker, link64PD, Shawn PTH

AlamDV: StupidFilmsInc

Axogon: EagleIFilms, Melvil

Ulead MSP: Jace Taran

Corel PhotoPaint: Streen81

6. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    ~sighs~ So it looks like there's not going to be a PSP attempt, I for reasons I've stated before,I can't do it, at this stage

7. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm not sure if It's too late, or if this will count as already being done or not, but I have a method using only Commotion DV and Final Cut Pro 2. I already see that you have a person doing Commotion, but if our methods are different enough, then I'd be willing to do it.

8. *DMaul*

Apr 1, 2000
    I'll be posting the final info in about an hour and a half :)

9. *DMaul*

Apr 1, 2000
    FINAL INFO

Ok, here is the final info. First of all, the list of the people who will be taking what program:

Photoshop: Ryan_W, sinistergfx

Commotion: pahket

AE: Riskbreaker, link64PD, Shawn PTH

AlamDV: StupidFilmsInc

Axogon: EagleIFilms, Melvil

Ulead MSP: Jace Taran

Corel PhotoPaint: Streen81

Second, if anyone else wants to participate, please contact me ASAP!

Third, the colors. Since Pahket is already finished, he is settin the colors for you guys. Our character in black, with the cool hat/mask has a BLUE saber. Now, our other character, the one in the black with no sleeves, has a GREEN saber.

Fourth, to keep the clips mostly the same, we do NOT want clashes. This way, it will show the saber, and maybe a little later on we can have something with clashes. So, just roto the saber, keep your layers right, and that is it.

Fifth, NO SOUNDS. Please, again, we want to keep FILE SIZE down, most importantly, and again, keep the clips, for the most part, the same!

Sixth, I would like these clips by at least Saturday. If this is a problem, again, contact me. It wont be a huge deal, but it would be nice to have these in soon. You still have a couple days, so dont rush yourselves.

I'm probably missing something here, so any more questions - just ask.

And about the guessing/voting, that will be held after ALL the clips are in, and uploaded.

Thanks again guys

10. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    Do we have to upload the files ourselves somewhere then send you the link so you can put them on a single server with anonymous names? Also, it might be a good idea to give people over the weekend to do it, maybe push the deadline to Monday or Tuesday :).

11. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I want to be a JUDGE . . . . . Judge_JediTAC?®© :D

12. Darth_Apporth

Darth_Apporth Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    So nobody's doing the golden lightsabre pee fight?

13. Streen81

Streen81 Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2002
    I'm having a problem with the Sorenson3 quicktime file. I have a program called SmartVid that should be able to convert it to an avi file so I can edit it, but it gives me an error message saying it can't read the video file headers. All my other quicktime movies convert just fine.

Does anyone have an avi version of the file?

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Does it strike no one else as silly to have a blue saber against a blue background if we're trying to gauge how it looks?

M. Scott

15. Obi-Timbo

Obi-Timbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2001
    =) I guess that means they will have to do some compositing.

16. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm probably missing something here, so any more questions- just ask.

Uh, yeah. check the post above yours :D. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that my method is unique all my own, but unless the Pahkled or whatever did it in Final Cut as well, then I think you can have another person for commotion (or a new category, even). All commotion does is take care of the saber core. All the rest is done in Final Cut.

BTW, I love your signature, Dorkman!

17. *DMaul*

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey Bren...Please read what I've been saying throughout the whole thread...Please PM me :)

Sorry guys, I forgot to post the link to the clip in case you didnt catch it the first time from Daft

Here it is!

*Edit*: Oh yeah, with the whole blue/blue screen thing...It actually looked pretty good, or at least on his clip it did. It looked just fine...

*Edit #2*: AHHH!!! I FORGOT SOMETHING!!!

MAKE SURE TO TIME YOURSELF!!! PLEASE!

One of the main things about this is TIME. And its something I completely forgot, which I'm sorry for. If you have already done the clip, please estimate to as close as you can!

Thanks again

Also, when you are done with your clip, please PM me with a url of where you have uploaded it to, or if you can email it to me...Also give me the time it took you to do this.

(lol, this is terrible) Also, make your movie an .MOV, so EVERYONE can see it. Sorenson is good compression, but whatever works for you is fine. Just keep the quality up, and file size down :)

18. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    I think I'll add a few points that may or may not be useful.

1. DON'T try any fancy compositing of backgrounds to wow the judges, it won't work. Marks will be deducted for this type of underhand activity :p

2. DON'T compress the physical size of the clip at all, and if possible (so they are all equal) compress using Sorenson 3 (set to 100%/Best of whatever) We will then compress them again (if needed) what we really want is a level playing field in terms of clips/quality/etc, then everyone will be able to judge the clips soley on the merits of the sabre rotoscoping alone.

And remember, everyone in the forum will be the judge/beable to vote, as we will instigate a good old 'Poll' thread when they are all finished.

Start your engines Gentlemen - and good luck :)

19. *DMaul*

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks again Daft (final words are my worst :))

20. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Alright, I'll get started on it later (and I'll be done just a tad after that).

Btw, should I do clashes or not?

21. StupidFilmsInc

StupidFilmsInc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2001
    CRAP! I did mine last night and then recompressed it with on2 down to about 320 x 240, so that I could upload it faster(got it down to like 400 KB). Now, I wake up and read this thing about don't recompress it. S now I have to go do it all again!

22. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Alright, I can't get the file to load into Axogon, and all my attempts to recompress it have failed.

Does anyone else have a different copy of the file?

Also, wouldn't it be easier on us if the sabers were the correct length, instead of, um, what they are?

23. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Timing is a tough call. If yo discount all the time spent learning how to do all this stuff (interruptions, searching for da purdy buttons, redoing the entire friggin' project) I'd give myself about an hour.

24. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    wouldn't it be easier on us if the sabers were the correct length
    Remember this is a competition, where the entrants have to abide by the rules laid down. If you think this is harsh, remind yourself of the Lucas/atomfilms competition guidelines. Short sabres it is folks.

Now as for not being able to load the clip that is a problem. So there are links in this thread to an on2 .mov file, and a Sorenson 3.mov file, have you tried both of these clips? As I don't know what Axogon needs in order to work I don't know what to suggest. Any ideas what format you would need Eagle?

should I do clashes or not?
    Personally I would have put them in, BUT, as the competitioin guidelines say no clashes, then no clashes it is. I guess by not putting them in it REALLY levels out the playing field.

Sorry about having to compress it twice StupidFilms. but we need to see the things nice and big in order to appreciate your work.

25. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Oh, I missed that link!

Thanks Daft!

EDIT: ARRGH! It still didn't work. i'll try restarting my computer.

EDIT #2: Restarting didn't help. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.