main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Competition

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by *DMaul*, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    really, you should always rotoscope the sabers on a seperate layer than the original footage, so that if you need to change any aspect of the layer below, you can, and not have to roto again.

2. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Yeah, you're right. Just so long as whatever he's doing will be the same framerate and proportion, etc. It should be fine.

3. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Rotioing to the clip ith the bluescreen and then I'll apply the effect onto this keyed clip once we've got it.

I really think keying the background is a good move. We will really be able to see the auras at work on a more "real" background.

I can't wait to see these. :)

4. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    Hehe, I cant wait too :)

And on the ftp thing, we ordered the space last night, but we probably wont get everything set up till Monday night/Tuesday

5. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    It's all good.

Any news on when the keyed clip will be up?

6. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
  7. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    *Waits Anxiously*

8. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    So, just how *are* you leaving the prop blades intact?

9. link64PD

Jun 15, 2001
    Heh, that's what I've been wondering also. But knowing Lord_Rive, he will find a way... ;)

10. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Do what I'm doing. Roto the blades of the unkeyed clip, and composite the sabers onto the keyed clip when we get it. Only thing is I'm not sure if other apps like AlamDV have this capability...

11. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Okay, here's the scoop: I've re-keyed the shot, keeping the sabers in as well. Now, it ain't perfect, but to be honest, it wouldn't have been an ideal situation anyway -- with all the motion blur, the sabers almost vanish against the blue, and I'm fairly certain that the same problem would have been present with the same lighting conditions on a real set... probably worse, actually. Anyhow, for those of you that have the ability to render out your sabers separately, the best thing to do will be to roto over the pure bluescreen footage, and composite that on top of the new comp I did (which includes everything but the sabers). For those that can't, I did my best to keep the saber props intact, but it may involve a little guesswork (you might need to take a look at the original footage for reference).

I'll let you know as soon as the footage is uploaded to dvGarage.

12. link64PD

Jun 15, 2001
    Sounds good, thanks.

13. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    sounds good!

14. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks a bunch Dave :)

15. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    Hello, I know that I was not asked to participate in this competition, but I thought it would be fun to just submit my test. It can be viewed here. I didn't spend much time on the bluescreening because that was not the point of the competition, just in case you are wondering why my background sucks. Please, give me your opinions!
    And in case the link doesn't work go here:

http://jdgarrett0.tripod.com/fanfilmtests/duel.mov

(BTW I used Adobe Photoshop/Premiere for this clip)

16. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Outstanding, Dave.
    Thanks man!

17. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Okay, guys. The shot -- composited without roto'ed sabers -- can be found here.

Have at it! :)

18. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Wow. Superb bit of compositing there Rive, how you got those pesky sticks to remain I'll never know.

Be honest, was there any manual rotoscoping going on there?

19. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    Daft,

I have a question for you, what happened to that clip of unrotoscoped footage from your film, that used to be on your site.

I've just been lokking for it, I was going to have a go at rotoscopign that.

20. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    One problem, Dave; the keyed out clip is a different resolution than the original bluescreen clip, so how can we transfer the effect from the original clip to the new one?

Edit: Ok, I have a newer, bigger problem. MSP 5.2 doesn't seem to like Sorenson. Everytime I try to load file (or any file encoded with Sorenson, for that matter), MSP kicks me out to windows, just like that, the second I click on the file in the dialogue box. It has no problem with Sorensen 3, but it doesn't like the original.

21. link64PD

Jun 15, 2001
    It depends on which program you use. In After Effects you can just adjust the scale of the Composition with the sabers to fit the RAW footage, minus the black matte bars of course.

Amazing key Dave, thanks!

22. Lord_Rive

Jun 29, 2000
    Jace: There are two versions of the footage at dvGarage -- one small one, and one large one (that is the same resolution as the original footage -- it has been matted to 2.35 to 1, but that's because it would have made me start nearly over again on the composite to do it the other way).

As far as the Sorenson issue, I'm not sure what to tell you. The end file is quite large, and I can't upload it to the dvGarage server (plus, I don't think it's fair to ask them to bear the brunt of the additional bandwidth). Have you tried opening it in a different program (that can handle Sorenson encoded footage) and exporting it in a different format...?

23. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Eek! The new dimensions of that matted footage sent everything to heck in a handbasket in Commotion! I resized the saber layers to 640 x 480, but they still look too big, or slightly out of place. Is it possible that in letterboxing the footage you also scooted the two men a little bit to the left? Arrgh.

24. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    I don't have any other program that I can open it with. I guess I'll just have to key the original bluescreen clip on my own(won't be nearly as good). Can you give me a link to the pic you used, Dave, so I can use it?

Edit: Nevermind. I lied. :) I took it into ALAM DV and exported it (ALAM DV compressed it in planar RGB, but I'll compress the final clip to Sorenson 3).

25. link64PD

Jun 15, 2001
    Pahket: I feel your pain. The different aspect ratio and matte bars have seriously screwed with everything I've done as well. I've tried to mess around with the scale on my 720x480 saber compositions to match the 640x480 letterbox but for some reason it just doesn't work. If it looks good in one place, it'll seem out of place later in the clip. The matte bars also cut off a lot of the saber in some shots... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.