main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber D-ring switchover

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by VECTORPLEX1, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VECTORPLEX1

VECTORPLEX1 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2004
    Hi, my name is Jason and I am new to the forums. I have a question regarding the D-rings on the hilts of the lightsabers. In the Original trilogy, we can clearly see the D-ring dangling on the edge of the hilt, where as the lightsabers used in the Prequel trilogy have the covertech clips attached on the side of the hilt.

I noticed that the Obi Wan & Luke Skyywalker lightsabers from episode IV are the same ones used in the upcoming episode III movie. I have seen the Episode III trailer and close up shots of the lightsabers and I noticed the D-rings have been removed from the hilts, and are replaced with the prequel covertech clips. It is my guess that Obi Wan had dismantled the sabers and removed the clips so they wouldn't have to be recharged, then later added the D-rings.

2. VECTORPLEX

VECTORPLEX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    It was never explained how the lightsaber clips were replaced with D-rings

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Why would the sabers not have to be recharged if they removed the clip and replaced it with a D-ring?

4. Fallen_Jedi21

Fallen_Jedi21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2004
    It could be that in the GFFA, Jedi were the only ones who manufactured covertech clips, and in order for Anakin's lightsaber to be "compatible" with modern tech, Obi-Wan had to switch over to D-rings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.