main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Duel and Reduel

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Moleman1138, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    One aspect that I've always liked from the SW saga was the fact that all the major duels had a rematch between the two.

TPM:

Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul

Tatooine Duel:
    Hero (Qui-Gon) gets upper hand by escaping villain {Darth Maul}
    One location
    Exterior

Theed Generator Room:
    Hero (Qui-Gon) is killed by villain (Darth Maul)
    Hero's protege (Obi-Wan) must watch Hero die
    Multiple locations
    Interior

AOTC/ROTS:

Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Count Dooku

Geonosis Hangar:
    Villain (Count Dooku) get upper hand by escaping Heroes (Obi-Wan and Anakin)
    One location
    Interior
    Force Lightning on hero (Anakin)

Invisible Hand Observation Deck
    Villain (Count Dooku) is killed by hero (Anakin)
    Duel is watched by Palpatine, influencing the Skywalker Jedi
    One location
    Interior

ROTS/ANH:

Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader

Mustafar - Separatist Compound/Lava River
    Hero (Obi-Wan) gets upper hand by escaping villain (Darth Vader)
    Multiple locations
    Mostly exterior

Death Star I
    Hero (Obi-Wan) is killed by villain (Darth Vader)
    Hero's protege (Luke) must watch Hero die
    One location
    Interior

TESB/ROTJ:

Luke vs. Darth Vader

Bespin
    Hero (Luke) gets upper hand by escaping villain (Darth Vader)
    Multiple locations
    Interior

Death Star II: Throne Room
    Villain (Darth Vader) is killed by hero (from a certain POV) (Luke)
    Duel is watched by Palpatine, influencing the Skywalker Jedi
    One location
    Interior
    Force Lightning on hero (Luke)

Well that's a start at picking up all the motifs and recurring themes. :)

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It is interesting to obseserve the recurring themes, motifs, and symbols in these films. Lucas as inspired by Campbell is doing it on purpose. The QGJ/Obi-Wan and Ben/Luke connection is the one I find to be most fascinating of them.

-Seldon

3. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Great! It's true that all the major duels had a rematch; It's something like Let's see how much I improved me myself during the last period. In fact, when they meet again, the hero is always changed and is now in front of a choice he has to do:

Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Count Dooku
    In ROTS Anakin is now stronger, and the act of killing Dooku is his first murder made without being out of control, but, on the contrary, with a lot of coldness, 'cos he had just 'chosen' to obey to the first order that Palpatine gave him.

Luke vs. Darth Vader
    In ROTJ Luke is almost a Jedi, and he succeeds in "killing" Darth Vader as soon as he chooses not to follow Palpatine suggests.

Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader
    In ANH Obi Wan has now a new padawan, that's Vader's son, and he chooses to sacrifice himself in order to be more powerful and stand by Luke.

Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul
    This is different. Darth Maul catches the Jedi in both the two times, and these two times happen in the same moovie. So that I might not say that Qui Gon has changed himself since the first time he met Darth Maul, and where is the choice?
    Btw, I think that that meditation before his last fight somehow changed him. And the choice, come out from that meditation, may have been: No matter if I'll be killed, but Anakin must be trained as a Jedi.

4. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I really never thought of the changing hero. But if you look at mythology, every hero has a similar journey and they have to adapt for the good to get to their final destination.

I always like a rematch. It feels like you're coming full circle. Now duels that didn't need a rematch were still good in their own right, but they have that motif of death it seems.

Obi-Wan kills Maul
    Palpatine kills Mace, Kit, Saesee and Agen
    Palpatine strips Yoda of everything he's known (forcing him into exile)
    Obi-Wan kills Grievous
    Mace kills Jango (though it really wasn't a lightsaber vs. lightsaber)

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    The Anakin-Dooku and Luke-Vader rematches in particular are very important, as a way to show how each of them has grown in power from before. Very interesting to see the different conclusions each duel, too.

6. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005

I agree

Good Stuff

7. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    One thing to add.

In the first Anakin/Dooku duel, it was Anakin's first onscreen duel and he didn't seem ready and you see the consequence. ...loss of limb.

In the second duel, Anakin is a lot more mature and the duel is watched by Palpatine, egging him on. Anakin gives into Palpatine.

In the first Luke/Vader duel, it was Luke's first onscreen duel and he didn't seem ready and you see the consequence. ...loss of limb.

In the second duel, Luke is a lot more mature and the duel is watched by Palpatine, egging him on. Luke does not give into Palpatine.

Nice parallel right there. Then comparing it trilogy to trilogy. The duel in the first film is the obscurity to echo into the other two films.

8. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Good! I've never thought about this.

9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Interesting observation you picked up, I never would've thought about that.

GL really does go out on the mirrors,but it makes the films so much more enjoyable.

10. Darth_Ogawa

Darth_Ogawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Yeah, I was thinking about this just yesterday. I agree that Qui-Gon is seriously meditating there when he kneels down waiting for the shield to deactivate between him and Maul.
    In a way it reminds me of how a Samurai might kneel down on tatami mats before commiting an "honorable" suicide. I'm not saying Qui-Gon is committing suicide here, but maybe Qui-Gon knows he will lose because he already felt Maul was more skilled than him in their previous battle. So he is preparing himself spiritually to join with the Force in the most honorable way which would be most motivating to Obi-Wan.

The situation is definitely very similar to how Obi-Wan later sacrifices himself peacefully in order to motivate Luke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.