main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Duels & Lightsabers in General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthSithLord, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    Hey all, I'm wondering if any people here, remember what the Original Lightsaber colors looked like, when the films were first released in theaters & the first VHS Types.

Then, can anyone remember the Special Editions Lightsaber color changes?

My Question is, when they did the Originals Vader's Lightsaber would often look ethier white, red, or pink.

When they did the Special Edition for the first time.
    Vader's Lightsaber was a Decent red color, through out TESB & ROTJ, but was only little better in ANH, not as good as TESB or ROTJ.

Now my question is..... Why does Vader's Lightsaber throughout the SW look more Pinkish, than White or Red?

I thought they touched up on the lightsaber colors, especially for EpIV, I think they did a fantastic job there, but why did they tamper with the saber color in this DVD change?

I also noticed the Obi Wan Kenobi & Darth Vader Duel in ANH, is alot more interesting, and for some reason it feels, extended to me, I dunno if any of you all had this, but to me, the Duel Felt Longer, cooler, and much more entertianing. (This is coming from a swordsmen, so I would know.)

Anyone else feel anything different for the ANH Duel now, that they fixed it up?

Even though Vader's lightsaber has some issues at times, I still love the duels, every single one of them. I also have a New Respect for the Old Vader & Old Obi Wan Duel in ANH.

The Empire Strikes Back's Duel is awsome still, despite its color changes......

I haven't watched ROTJ on DVD yet, I will soon, but Ive heard from a friend, and seen a snapshot of what Vader's Lightsaber color looks like in the movie, and it appears to be a Pinkish Redish Color.

Its not like the Color matters or anything, there all white if ya wanna get techinical about it. just glow different colors on the outside.

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    They didn't change the colours of them on purpose. If you go back to your old VHS copes of the SEs, you'll notice that, in the shots where the saber is most pink on the DVD, it's also a bit pink on the VHS. My guess is that, when they were doing the movies for the DVDs, they assumed that the sabers would all look OK, since they looked OK for the SEs. However, when they handed the movies over to be transfered by Lowry, the new bright, cleary colour definition made the colours stand out even more - and made the pinkishness of some shots stand out more than it had before. It was always a bit pink in some shots, but the poor quality of film and VHS meant you couldn't really see it, and it looked red enough. I'm sure this'll be fixed for the next editions, though.

3. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    The only pink saber I ever saw was Vader's in ANH before the DVD's were released... Where do you see pink ,instead of red in any of the DVD's?

4. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    OnlyOne - they're not actually that pink. I only noticed it because people pointed out certain shots where it looks a bit pink-ish, but you really have to freeze-frame it to see it properly. You do on my TV, anyway - maybe it varies from TV to TV. It certainly doesn't affect things much, though, and as I've said before, it's no more pink than Darth Maul's lightsaber.

5. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
    I'll have to find the link.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think DarthyMarkyMark has hit it on the nail, here.
    This is the first time the SW films have been transfered onto the DVD format, and as a result we're seeing them in the highest quality ever. A side-effect of this is that the flaws may be a little more obvious.

7. DarthSithLord

Jul 12, 2001
    Well I'm sure the Next Edition will fix this.

8. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    The only pink saber I ever saw was Vader's in ANH before the DVD's were released... Where do you see pink ,instead of red in any of the DVD's?

In ESB and ROTJ

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I couldn't find a topic on this, well there was a thread called "Han's lightsaber skills", but it was locked so here goes:

Along time ago, it was rumored that only a Jedi could turn on a lightsaber. So people were really bothered that Han could turn it on, but he wasn't a Jedi. OFFICIALLY, was it ever explained how he did it or was it ever explained that you don't need to be a Jedi to turn on a lightsaber?

I know the new droid general in Ep III will fight with multiple lightsabers with no knowledge of the force, and I know when Luke first turned on his father's lightsaber he had no knowledge of the force either. So is that the answer? Lightsaber and force are barely connected?

10. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    You don't need to be a Jedi or strong in the Force to activate a lightsaber - they're simply turned on by a switch on the side of the handle. However, to use one PROPERLY, you really do have to be a Jedi - if you think about it, a lightsaber would have no weight, unlike a normal sword, so using it would be very awkward unless you were strong in the Force. All Luke does at the start of ANH is wave it around a bit, and Han just has to cut the tauntaun open.

As for the General, who knows - I doubt he's strong in the Force, but anyone who saw the Clone Wars cartoon knows he's pretty handy with a lightsaber or three. I'm guessing this is just a result of his high agility - he's the ultimate in droid technology. This does beg the question of why Vader wasn't given similarly adept droid parts, but we can assume that, with his iron lung and all that breathing apparatus, if the suit was too agile it could tear him apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.