main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Forms

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Todmi_Drlau, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todmi_Drlau

Todmi_Drlau Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    Hello,

Can anybody please post the Lightsaber Forms (pre-regs & benefits) as seen in the Power of the Force sourcebook?

I can't get my hands on the book for anything, and I could use the info.

Thanks in advance...

2. MasterKazur

MasterKazur Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    They're not in the PotJSB, they're in the Hero's Guide.

Nevertheless. Here they are my man:

Shii-Cho
    Millennia before the Clone Wars, advanced technology replaced metal swords with energy-beam lightsabers. In this transition the first form was born. Jedi Masters created Shii-Cho from ancient sword-fighting tradition, since the principles of blade combat remained much the same. The basics of attack, parry, body target zones, and the practice drills called velocities are all here. Mastery of Shii-Cho leads to great balance in your swordsmanship.
    Prerequisites: Force-Sentitive, Control, Attuned, Jedi level 7th.
    Benefit: When wielding a lightsaber, you gain a +4 competence bonus on opposed attack rolls when disarming an opponent or when an opponent attempts to disarm you.
    Known Practitioners: Kit Fisto.

Makashi
    The ultimate refinement of lightsaber-to-lightsaber fighting became Makashi, advancing
    the precision of blade manipulation to it's finest possible degree and producing the
    greatest dueling masters the galaxy has ever seen. Today Makashi is an archaism studied by almost no one in the Jedi Order, because it's not relevant to currant tactical situations, as most lightsaber battles are now lightsaber-to-blaster. Even with the resurgence of the Sith, confrontation of an enemy with a lightsaber is an exceedingly rare prospect for a Jedi. So, they continue to focus on more practical Forms. Sith expecting to battle a Jedi, however, find Makashi a powerful technique.
    Prerequisites: Dexterity 15, Force-Sensitive, Control, Burst of Speed, Weapon Finesse (lightsaber), Jedi level 11th.
    Benefit: A character with this feat gains a +3 dodge bonus to Defense against lightsaber attacks.
    Known Practitioners: Count Dooku, Exar Kun.

Soresu
    The third great lightsaber discipline was first developed in response to the advancement of blaster technology in the galaxy. As these weapons spread widely into the hands of evil-doers, Jedi had to develop unique means of defending themselves. Soresu thus arose from "laserblast" deflection training. Over the centuries it has transcended this origin to
    become a highly refined expression of non-aggressive Jedi philosophy. Soresu maximizes defensive protection in a style characterized by tight, efficient movements that expose minimal target area compared to the relatively open style of some of the other Forms. True Soresu masters are considered invincible.
    Prerequisites: Force-Sensitive, Control, Lightsaber Defense, Dodge, Jedi level 7th.
    Benefit: A character with this feat gains a +1 bonus on attack when using Deflect (attack). When using Deflect (defense), the dodge bonus increases by +1.
    Known Practitioners: Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Ataru
    Ataru is the acrobatic Form, heavily emphasizing Jedi abilities to run, jump, and spin in
    phenomenal ways by using the Force to outmaneuver and overwhelm an opponent from multiple angles. Masters of Ataru incorporate all of the ways in which the Force helps them go beyond what is physically possible. Their lightsaber combat is astonishing to watch, filled with elaborate moves in the center of which a Jedi may be
    all but a blur.
    Prerequisites: Force-Sensitive, Combat Reflexes, Control, Weapon Focus (lightsaber), Jedi level 7th.
    Benefit: A character with this feat may add one and a half times his Dexterity modifier (instead of Strength modifier) to his damage roll when wielding a lightsaber one-handed, and two-times his Dexterity modifier (instead of Strength modifier) to his damage rolls when wielding a lightsaber two-handed.
    Known Practitioners: Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn, (early choice of Obi-Wan Kenobi).

Shien (also known as Djem So)
    During an era when Jedi were called upon to more actively maintain the peace in the galaxy, Shien arose alongside Ataru to address a a need for greater power among the Jedi. Jedi Masters who felt that Soresu could be too passive for some encounters developed Shien. A Soresu master might be undefeatable, but

3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    nice write ups kazur, bit confused though, I understand that you've done Juyo and Vaapad as two seperate forms (which makes eight), and i seem to recall a thread on the lit forum about ataru and something else perhaps being the same...

in heros guide are forms 1-7, then in the HG web enhancement number 3 are more forms, Shien, Sokan and Niman. With Niman being a form for using two lightsabers simultaneously.

:confused:

4. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    in heros guide are forms 1-7, then in the HG web enhancement number 3 are more forms, Shien, Sokan and Niman. With Niman being a form for using two lightsabers simultaneously.

Yeah I think the Web enhancements ****** up a bit.
    Niman is the form known as "the diplomats form".
    The names stated above are also used in the Revenge of the Sith Visiual Dictionary and are correct.

Yes I did put Vaapad as a seperate form from Juyo, even though than contradicts the Shatterpoint novel (but not quite).
    Besides Darth Maul is a "Form VII" user and I don't really think he took lessons from Mace in between classes with Sids :)
    I also didn't think the rules for "Form VII" in the Hero's Guide quite covered the Vaapad "state of mind".

So I think that there were six forms prior to Episode I, and the seventh being in the experimental faze. Mace was in the process of finishing/expanding it and eventually developed Vaapad.
    Darth Maul on the other hand used the Form VII style before it was developed into Vaapad (during Episode I), so I think that in essence they are the same! But Juyo is just an earlier version.

Did that make any sense?

5. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    yeah, all in favour of Vaapad being a form of its own, and it is a state of mind rather than a combat 'form' or stance if you get my meaning.

I thought that Niman (HG webenhancement 3) seemed pretty neat, personally, and the one describing the form Adi Gallia used in one of the games (i think it was Jedi Power Battles, the upside downey one).

I think though that they were being created more for individuality than anything else. I mean I personally think it would be cool if there were more variations on the 'Light'weapon, other than that of a saber. Rather than just Lumiya's whip, Mauls double-ender, etc. Something like Knucklers which have a field of energy over your fingers and hand, so that you can deflect shots, and punch people to make their face melt :p kinda thing. or like those sticks american cops seem to use, like the one the big boss man had in wwf :p I think that would be good.

One might say that due to the complacency of the OJO, and the lack of development, something new is needed. I'm surprised at the lack of Force Warriors in the GFFA to be honest, judging by how *bad* Jedi can be without their lightsaber.

6. Solas

Solas Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2005
    This is very useful for my own game, but I'm just in need of some clarification:

Are the names of these forms simply to replace 'Form I', etc? Or are they more advanced forms of said forms (sorry for the language there) as suggested by the RotS Visual Dictionary? This strikes me as a little confusing if so.

S.

7. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    it's the name of form I to VII, afaik, but some of them might be a bit different because there were originally ten forms, these ahve been shrunk down

8. Solas

Solas Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2005
    Ah, thanks for that. Just a useful reference thing to have. :)

9. Darth_Mordan

Darth_Mordan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    Hail
    so can you revise/relist the lightsabre fighting forms you have...I could do with updating my material...

10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    From the new Dark Forces Saga, we have Maw's Trispzest lightsaber form and Boc's Niman lightsaber form. From the installment:

Specifically, Jar'Kai is the traditional name applied to the style of lightsaber combat that uses a blade in each hand, frequently called Niman (the name for Form VI) by savvy modern practitioners since that form is the current Jedi standard.

Wait a minute. We've been saying that Form VI, or Niman, is the diplomat's form - the combination of the first five form. The practictioners of this form all died in the Battle of Geonosis. Now that we have this installment of the Dark Forces Saga, how do we rectify this conflict?

11. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Jar'Kai is the Forms real name. Niman is the name of Form VI.

Jar?Kai Mastery (force Feat)
    Jar'Kai is the traditional name applied to the style of lightsaber combat that uses a blade in each hand, frequently called Niman (the name of the 6th Form) by savvy modern practitioners since that form is the current Jedi standard. Jar'Kai is the style's oldest name, going back to the Yovshin Swordsmen of the Atrisian Empire, who wielded a dueling sword in each hand, dubbing the weapons "Jar'Kai" after the Kitel Phard city where they were first crafted. A similar style was practiced by the Royale Macheteros, the elite guard of the Kashi Mer monarchy. When the technique was then co-opted by soldiers of the Legions of Lettow, they called the style Niman after the dual triumvirate of Kashi gods. A similar style was practiced by the Royale Macheteros, the elite guard of the Kashi Mer monarchy. When the technique was then co-opted by soldiers of the Legions of Lettow, they called the style Niman after the dual triumvirate of Kashi gods.
    The Jedi and Sith have since those early times taken to substituting laser swords in place of steel ones.
    Prerequisites: Force-Sensitive, Ambidexterity, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting, base attack bonus +8.
    Benefit: When fighting with two lightsabers, the off-hand lightsaber is always considered a light weapon for the purposes of determining the penalty for fighting with two weapons.
    Special: A character with this feat using the Off-Hand Parry feat with a lightsaber gains an additional +1 bonus to Defense.
    Known Practitioners: Boc, Jeng Droga.

12. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Yeah I know that. But if Form VI is Niman, then what is it - the "diplomat's" form we've known about since AOTC, or the two-saber form?

Edit - forget this post. I also asked the question in the Literature forum, and I just read the answer there.

Second Edit - Okay, now they need to settle one more controversy. The Web Enhancement that said Niman was the two-saber form also said Shien was the reverse-blade form. Adi Gallia and Nikkos Tyris favored the reverse blade form. But they're now saying that Shien is Form V, the style favored by Anakin and Luke Skywalker, and Djem So is essentially a merger of Soresu and Shien - an aggressive way of deflecting the blaster bolts right back at the shooters. If that's the case, what's the name of the reverse-blade form.

13. Daingerous88

Daingerous88 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Can you make your own lightsaber forms?

14. Darth_Boppu

Darth_Boppu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    You can make anything. The RPG was meant to be open for modification by both players and GMs. That's part of its whole purpose. If you were in Sstar Wars, would you make your own form? That's Role-playing

15. Jedi345

Jedi345 Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    i think that Vaapaad is the best one that is the one that i often use you should to

and thanks for asking the lightsaber forms i have been looking for them for some time now

16. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    I think Vaapad is the best too. But you need to be a disciplined Jedi (high willpower) to wield it properly.
    It gives the user great power but anyone who uses it could fall to the Dark Side if they don't have the right state of mind.

17. Darth_Mordan

Darth_Mordan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    I've thought about making a "Lightsabre form" But I don't have the documentation to devolop it...I've a name so far "Kitao" and a general idea of what the form intails. But I've no idea on how to create it...can you help?

18. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    or like those sticks american cops seem to use, like the one the big boss man had in wwf I think that would be good.

In North America they're commonly called night-sticks, but the japanese term (where they originated, iirc) is Tonfa (sp).

19. MasterKazur

May 13, 2004
    Darth_Mordan... PM me some datails about the Form and maybe I can help you out with some stats.

20. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    ahh... yeah Tonfas, two of them, lightsabers... wicked :cool:

21. Darth_Boppu

Darth_Boppu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    I came up with a form, but I haven't made stats up.

It's called Upteren. It uses 2 sabers, kinda like Niman, but it uses alot of jabs and always changes the way you wield the sabers back and forth from forwards and backwards in the hands.

Anyone wanna take a shot?

22. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    sugar, Dex 16+ for starters? :p

additional attack with offhand weapon

sacrifice of damage for speed...

23. Rolic_Charon

Rolic_Charon Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2001
    Possibly a neg to Defense for a Plus to Damage - with all the hand changing and grip swapping it would be hard to maintain a steady defense. Which is how it should be. If you notice Obi-Wan's Form III techniques always have him really centered and low in stance, like a block of stone.

Also, if memory serves. Wasn't there a girl in the DarthMaul Graphic Novel who used two Lightsaber Tonfas?

I have also tossed a few ideas in my brain about creating an array of small prestige classes, only three levels. Designed for each form. You could be a lvl 10 Jedi Guardian with 3 Levels of Form III Practioner Prestige Class, the Third level giving you "Mastery" along with some really good ability. The other two levels would have watered down versions of aspects of the "Mastery" levels uber ability. It wouldnt be too hard seeing that they would only be 3 levels each.

24. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    Sounds very cool. Got stats?

Nyar.

25. Rolic_Charon

Rolic_Charon Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2001
    Not really much, except a few Ideas about special abilites for each class.

Form III or V (havent decided) Special Ability - Perfect Deflection

Once per minute (10 Rounds) the Form V user can deflect a shot so accuratly that he can cause great damage. When the Jedi uses Deflect Attack and hits, he can choose to add his bonus lightsaber Damage to his blaster deflection damage. Example, a Jedi Guardian who does 5d8 damage with his lightsaber and is a Form III(or V) user can deflect a shot from a StormTrooper's Rifle dealing 3d8+3d8 damage to his target if hit.

Form II Special Ability - Elaborate Parry

Once per minute (10 Rounds) the Form II user can elegantly parry an incomming lightsaber attack. When a lightsaber attack is declared against him the Form II user can choose to use his elaborate parry ability. Both the Attacker and the Form II User make an attack roll adding in all attack bounuses. If the Attacker has the greater result the parry fails and damage is resolved as usual, the Elaborate Parry is waisted for the next minute. If the Form II user wins then the attack is sucessfully parried and no damage is dealt. If the Form II user would roll Critical on this attack, and Confrim the Critical than he deals normal damage, NOT CRITICAL DAMAGE, to the Attacker. This counter-attack does not count as an attack of opprotunity and the Parry Riposte ability can still be used that round.

Unkown Form Special Ability - But liked the Idea - Supreme Power Attack

The user gains +1 to his Power Attacks when he uses them. Example - a Jedi using power attack spends 1 attack for damage he instead deals +2. He must atleast spend one attack, which means he couldnt always have a +1 using this ability, but when he does choose to use his power attack he gets a +1 to damage.

Also, the only thing i could think of for Form IV came to me by watching Obi-Wan in Episode I.

Form IV special Ability - Acrobatic Flank.

Once every minute (10 Rounds) the Form IV user can make an elaborate and blindingly fast flip landing behind his enemy and provide a flanking bonus for himself. When engaged in Melee combat the Form IV user spends his move action for the round and makes a Jump Check (dont know the DC) if sucessfull the Jedi lands behind his attacker and grants himself a flanking bonus for 1 round. If the check fails the attacker gains an attack of opprotunity vs. the Form IV user, and the Form IV user looses his Dexterity Bonus to Defense for the attack.

I have some more too, if anyone is intrested - i may start a new board for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.