main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lightsaber-induced bleeding.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SpecForce Trooper, Apr 26, 2017.

1. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    In Star Wars, usually when an organic is struck by a lightsaber the wound would be bloodless. However in scattered instances lightsaber wounds have resulted in bleeding. Why? Is it because certain lightsabers don't have the capacity for cauterization? Is it because the characters struck have a different circulatory system. Is it for a whole 'nother reason altogether?

Examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What is your explanation?

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    To give you an OU explanation that scene in ANH was before the principles of lightsaber combat and injuries had been established.

It doesn't gel with anything else really in SW(except maybe certain alien species or really bad poor technique).

3. slybrarian

slybrarian Jedi Knight

Mar 26, 2017
    Cauterization doesn't seal things perfectly the way people think it does. It mostly works by causing tissue damage and rapid coagulation. Cut a large enough blood vessel, much less bisect someone like Maul was, and it's not going to seal properly. There's also going to be some blood released during the cutting process, and leakage even where the wound is cauterized.

BobaMatt, Sarge, Ender Sai and 3 others like this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well Maul isn't human but a Zabrak.

5. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    In universe explanation is that Aqualish (and I guess Zabrak?) have weird alien biology that makes their blood not cauterize. Also, as slybrarian said, cauterization isn't always perfect. When I was a kid I didn't think that was "blood" in TPM, I always assumed it was dark side energy of some kind instead of blood. What's the middle image from by the way?

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Because they're movies. Maul's wound was obviously cauterized otherwise he would've bled to death. It seemed to me cause it happened very quickly , the cut went through a large portion of his body, and as soon as the blade fully passed the wound was then sealed.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  7. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    JediBatman
    Legacy, particularly my favorite issue: Wrath of the Dragon.
    If you havent read it yet, you should really read it.

spicer likes this.
  8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Thanks! I have read and enjoyed the Legacy books, I just didn't recognize that particular panel.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    As someone who has worked in trauma surgery for a decade and has cauterized wounds...it's not as perfect as people would think. You get bleeders all the time, even with precision on the site of the bleed.

With a lightsaber there's everything from speed, angle, temperature of tissue, volume of blood, make-up of any given creature or alien's blood...it's really now surprising that you'd have a lot of bloody lightsaber wounds.

Say you slash someone with a lightsaber...yes, you cauterize it as it passes through, but this person has just had a traumatic injury, and they pull away, fall, whatever, and their tissues tear open and blood spurts out. Or the blood pressure just bursts right through the burn. I'll spare you the details of a severe electrical burn I once saw where despite copious tissue being destroy there was still blood seeping up through the charcoaled tissue.

There's loads of reasons, and I think the easiest is to just imagine it cauterizing it at the point of impact, but the person still have blood pressure pushing against that "seal", as well as muscles twisting and jerking and "cracking" the damaged tissue and ripping open the cauterizations.

Hope that helps.

10. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Are not zabrak human offshoots?

11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Maybe, but being related to humans doesn't make them humans.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Unless that's a NuCanon or TCW thing I didn't think Zabraks were near-human.

13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Zabrak were Near-Human,[1][5] but had a number of significant physical characteristics that set them apart from baseline Humanity.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't believe there are any sources that classify Zabraks as Near-Human in canon at this time. Wookieepedia does so, but their source is a children's book that, based on its publication date, couldn't possibly have been reviewed by Story Group and its status as a canon work is highly doubtful.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole "half-human half-Zabrak Dathomirians" thing, for people like Ventress and Talzin (back in Legends) did seem like a reason for the Zabraks themselves to be closely related to humans.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Obi-Wan really should have killed A'Sharad on Tatooine. No Hett equals no One Sith.

Oh wait, you said Wrath of the Dragon, not Claws of the Dragon. Never mind,

17. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016

Killing isn't the Jedi way. It would be pretty sick of Obi-Wan straight up murdered his old friend. But, yeah, history would have been better.

JediBatman, vncredleader and Vialco like this.
  18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I always envisioned lightsabers to be like lightning swords, so getting struck by one must be like getting hit by lightning or something, same when it splits a tree. The PT the sabers were more like welding or plasma torches with enhanced bacta bonuses,lol. No more were the lightsabers bouncing off metal railings or armor plates. The wounds would share similarities to a welding torch or plasma torch in the real world, so there would be burning and cauterizing. I can't imagine the smell from the wounds to be pleasant or the amount of pain. They been developing "Plasma Scalpels” which may make surgery more precise and less bloody. Sound familiar?

Kenobi's wounds in AOTC were enough to take him completely out've combat and put him immense pain. And both Anakin and Luke losing their hands, caused them immense pain and suffering. Same with Windu ect. Maul and Dooku took their wounds pretty well in the films, maybe its a Sith thing.

Force lightning and electro staff electricity must have the same or similar properties as lightsabers but without the cutting power - except for Talzin's lightning that can cut through and destroy droids as it appeared more destructive against armored enemies than the Sith's version.

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    In EU sources force lightning has been described like a star going nova in your chest-the sheer energy involved totally overloads the body's limbic and nervous systems. Concentrated or especially powerful force lightning can physically sear flesh and has been a cause of targets disintegrating.

With Lightsaber injuries the pain I imagine is an intense burning one. To use an EU example Darth Caedus during Invincible took lots and lots of punishment(being tortured to near madness helps) and still when Jaina stabbed his chest he died within seconds.

Revanfan1 and Vialco like this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Specifically his heart. Caedus such a beast when it came to taking hits and still getting up for more. He kept fighting right until
    Jaina's blade cut through his heart.

I still get ticked off about how cheaply Jaina took down Darth Caedus. In the first fight she tries to snipe him from a distance. When that fails she only engages him with Luke's power enhancing her own.

In their second fight, she's got two arms to his one and begins by taking him by surprise and stabbing him in the stomach.

Really? That's the famed honour of the Jedi Knights?

vncredleader likes this.
  21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I didn't like it either-the Jedi acted like a bunch of mafia dons in Invincible, Luke saying "I look forward to running him down" and Kenth telling Jaina not to take him alive even if it was an option-so if Jacen were to surrender or be incapacitated she was still supposed to kill him.

Jaina was basically tasked with being a hit girl.

There were parts of that book I felt sick to my stomach

vncredleader likes this.