main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Lightsaber Lessons 2006

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by DrHaggis, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    We are in the process of booking practice space to resume our weekly lightsaber training with Sifu Tim.

The plan is to hold the lessons Tuesday nights from 7-9, beginning in January. The new location will be an elementary school gym, which will afford us much more space for our group. The cost is estimated on being $45.00 per person, per month.

The class itself will likely only be an hour and a half, but we will have the room booked for the two full hours for practice. These lessons are open to new and continuing Fanforce members alike.

So think it over and if you are interested, post in this thread to sign-up.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Count me in!! [face_dancing] These lessons are getting better and better every class - LOVE IT!!

3. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    I will also be there. It's the best!

Be a Jedi!
    Jen

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Unfortunatly Tuesdays are out for me, as work Tuesday Nights. Sorry gang Guess I'll have to pass. Now if it were mondays.....

5. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Tuesdays are the best day of the week for me. Sounds good.

6. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Ryan - Unfortunately, Sifu Tim is not available to teach on Mondays... that's the reason we've had to move it to Tuesdays instead... no teacher, no class, unfortunately.

7. RogueNine-

RogueNine- Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    Count me in too =P

8. Eric_Nevera

Eric_Nevera Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2005
    Count me in! (Work schedule permitting)

9. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I should be in too...If work schedule is permitting.

10. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I missed out last go round but this might work this time. I believe I had met DrHaggis (and others from the class) at the show back in September when a new venue was being searched for.

How difficult would it be for a newbie to join you rookies? And who is the best person to contact with regards to this? And which school would this be at?

winbrant

11. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    It wouldn't be difficult at all, considering we're ALL rookies!!!

And the best person to contact would be DrHaggis.

12. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Like Veritate said, none of us are expert sword fighters except Sifu Tim, the instructor. All of us have certain strengths and certain things we need to improve upon, that's natural. As soon as you learn the basic movements, it's all about building on that and learning to move in new ways. You'll catch up to the rest of us in no time. Just be training with people who are a couple months ahead of you will accelerate your learning. That goes for all the newbies who are interested and want to learn to wield a lightsabre.

13. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I've been calling these lessons "semi-private." To take the class you have to be a Fanforce member, but membership is granted easily. You need a board name, sign-up at our website and make yourself known to the group.

It is important that we know who you are before we are swinging sticks at each other. [face_beatup] Sifu Tim has yet to kick anyone out, but he does reserve that right should things turn south.

We are all beginners, and these classes are a great environment to learn some great techniques. This is a non-competitive discipline. There are no points. There are no tournaments. There are no winners, or losers. There is only The Force, and some fans wanting to take one step more on the path of the Jedi.

Also note that payment will be due in full at the start of each month, because the school will require complete payment in advance. The final location is yet to be approved by the school board, and we will announce that when it is confirmed.

14. Talmerith

Talmerith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    Sign me up!

I am really looking forwards to this, and I'm really glad the training is getting switched to tuesday because that means I can actually attend.

I'm also glad that it looks like there will be a few other new people there, I've never done any kind of "swordplay" before but I can't wait to start!

One question though, what is it that you actually practice with? Do you have to bring anything or is everything supplied?

15. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I may be able to start attending again in February or so. I'll see how things go with my new Padawan then. I've really been missing training lately.

Trevor

16. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    We use 1" hardwood (maple) dowel - it's important we all have the same material for safety. Last time we had classes your first saber was included in the cost. We'll confirm whether we're doing that again this time or not. Some of us have customised our sabers - painted blades, metallic hilts, etc. But the one thing that's really useful is covering the hilt area with racket tape or something similar - we can show you in class.

I'll hopefully have school rental confirmation on Monday and we can start getting serious about signing up and stuff :)

Jen

17. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    After some aggressive negotiations, Mr Smith has expressed his commitment to joining the class. Yay!

Despite aggressive negotiations, Calgary Rec still has not expressed their commitment to providing a space from Jan - March (we actually have confirmed space April-June - go figure)... they continue to promise to get back to me as soon as they've processed the request. Boo!

I continue to try to think of creative ways to negotiate a speedy request-processment. :)

Seriously, it might not be til Wednesday or so that we know. It's driving me crazy.

Here's the list as I see it thus far - feel free to correct me:
    Yes for January:
    DrHaggis
    echosevin
    Magpie Jen
    ShatirLavan
    RogueNine-
    Talmerith
    Mr Smith

Maybe:
    Old_Republic
    veritate
    winbrant
    Lexial
    Eric_Nevera

18. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I'll most likely start in February for tuesdays and just stick to the saturday classes for January. Because of my Christmas break from school I'd still be at home for the first tuesday or 2 of January, and I don't really feel like paying $45 for 2 classes.

19. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    ShatirLavan - the classes would start on Jan 17, which means the first 'month' is actually Jan 17, 24, 31 and Feb 7. Would that work for you?

It's looking like we need at least 7-8 people to confirm, otherwise we will sadly have to cancel.

20. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    DETAILS ARE HERE!

Lightsaber Lessons 2006 with Sifu Tim - yay!

WHEN:
    Tuesday 7pm - 9pm
    Starting Jan 17
    First 'block': Jan 17, 24, 31 and Feb 7
    Other 4 week blocks will follow until the end of June.

WHERE:
    Ernest Manning High School: Gold Gym (auxillary gym)
    3600 16 Ave SW
    Off 17 Ave SW at 35 St, near Westbrook Mall.

COST:
    $45 per person/per 4 week block.
    IF we get enough people (like around 10) confirmed, we can start dropping the price.

HOW:
    Be a FanForce member and over 18 years.
    Post your committment here or PM/email DrHaggis or I.
    PAY BEFORE DECEMBER 13 for the first block of classes.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY NOW??
    The school rental fees need to be paid entirely up front. Yep, right through June. There's serious debt involved :eek: and they need advance notice for cancellations (especially this month since the School Board and City are about to go on their holiday break, we need to cancel January bookings by December 13). We should be fine so long as we get a minimum required number of students paid up early enough that we know we can go ahead with the next block. After Christmas they won't need that much notice - which means we'll need advance registration about 2 weeks prior to each block.

NEEDED:
    At least 8 people to sign up and pay before December 13. If we don't get 8 people, we will have to cancel...

If we do get our 8 people, others are welcome to join up after Dec 13 and until the first block starts on Jan 17. If we end up with a bunch of people - like last time - and we can drop the fee, then I'll give you back the difference.

Questions, comments, welcomed! Feel free to PM DrHaggis or myself too, if you like. Especially let us know if there's something holding you back from signing up.

This has been such an awesome class! We're really looking forward to having enough room to seriously swing our sabers!

Jen

21. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    OK sounds good. I'll bring the money to lightsabre class on Saturday.

22. Eric_Nevera

Eric_Nevera Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2005
    Cool. To whom, when, and where can we pay?

23. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm in. Will bring the $$$ to Saturday's class. Thanks for all your hard work putting it together Jen!!! Really appreciated =D=

24. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    I think DrHaggis was wondering about setting up a meeting on Monday evening? I'll let him post about that.

Otherwise here are some options that work for me:

-this Friday between 5-6pm I will be at Chinook Mall - PM/email me and I'll send you my cell phone number so we can meet-up.

-this Saturday morning's drop-in at the Shaolin academy (10:30-11:30am)

-I don't mind driving around a bit if it means getting enough of us. I have the day off tomorrow (Thursday) and Monday and could come to a convenient place for you. PM/email me to arrange.

You can pay me - either cash or cheque - make the cheque out to Jennifer Gerritsen.

Jen

25. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Jen i will be attending class too. Count me in ...I will bring the cheque on Sat for saber class or on Mondays meeting. Thanks for setting this up for all of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.