main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Lightsaber Lessons 2006

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by DrHaggis, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk-627

tk-627 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    I'll be joining!
    I'll meet up on Monday at the FF meeting to pay.

Thanx Magpie Jen for all your hard work to get this going again!!

2. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I'm in to gonna be fun getting out and swinging that saber again. The shop hours are gonna change in the new year so I'll be able to attend class.

3. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Tuesday Night Lighstsaber classes will begin soon!

The first round of classes will be January 17,24,31 and Feb 7.

The classes will be held in the Ernest Manning High School Auxiliary (Gold) Gym at
    3600 - 16 Avenue, S.W.

(Edit) These are 2 hour classes running 7-9

To keep the classes going we need the commitment of 12 people per month.

Sifu Tim (Manu-Forti) will be posting a curriculum for these classes shortly.

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I won't be able to make it to this round of classes as I have a night class starting on this month and going till may on Tuesday nights.

Hope all goes well.

5. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Actually, given our rental agreement and the amount of warning they need to make a change, we will in all likelihood still have 2 hour classes for the first 2, after that we can reduce it to 1 hour.

Sorry to everyone about the unexpected insurance costs... and my spreadsheets had been so beautiful before :-(

Of course at the Jan 16 meeting we will go over all the up-to-date information about the class and then if any of you who have already paid feel that it's not what you wanted, I can refund you on that day. (Only I pray at least 10 of us stay on!)

6. Manu-Forti

Manu-Forti Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005
    hello

As mentioned above, I have been asked by the group to teach the next round of lightsaber classes. I know these next classes will even be more
    fun than round one now that so many of you have some good basics we can work from. And for those just starting, this will be a great time to start learning lightsaber play in a fun and safe environment.
    As most of you know, the choreography in the Star Wars movies were not
    based on any one style. There was a mixture of Chinese, Japanese,
    Philippine, and western (medieval / renaissance) arts just to name a few.
    These arts mixed with some basic stage combat practices are the primary focus of these classes.There is no physical contact in this class
    because safety always comes first.
    ------------------------
    These classes are being presented for the sole purpose of theatrical education.
    At no time are these techniques to be used in the real world for the purpose of attacking others or defending yourself.
    -------------------------

Some of the topics that will be discussed will include:

Stage combat vs the ?real thing?
    10 basic directions of attack
    10 basic directions of movement
    5 basic fighting stances of kendo
    Blocks - parries - dodges
    Psychological as well as physical strategies
    Combat in relation to the Jedi code

For those students that took the first round of classes, there will be some
    review mixed in with a whole new batch of exercises.
    I guarantee you won?t be bored with those ?same old Jedi exercises ? from the first session.
    As my students know, I?m not locked into a class plan. The classes will flow with the needs of the students. The most important thing is that
    YOU ARE HAVING FUN.

And because there is an assumption of risk
    It is advised that you consult your Physician before participating in this physical activity.

Remember young Padawans:
    The mind is the weapon

Sat. classes resume this weekend at the gym.(just so you know)

M.F.

7. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Just so you know and in case this helps with your schedules, etc: we're finalizing our insurance and it looks like we can afford to stay as 2 hour classes. Yay!

Full details at the Jan 16 meeting, but if you can't make that, PM me or DrHaggis. The deadline for registering for this upcoming 4 week block is Jan 16 - so it's not too late if you're thinking of coming out.

Jen

8. Ann-Louise

Ann-Louise Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    Konnichiwa. I am the martial arts obsessed friend of Raelyn (and Kent) and would like very much to join your lightsaber lessons. I am looking forward to sharing with way of the warrior with you all. Oh, and some fun and laughter too!

9. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Yay! Ann-Louise finally posted!

Jen - I'll make sure Ann-Louise's fees are paid tonight at the meeting - she can't make it to tonight's meeting, because she's got a Karate class tonight.

A.L. and I have been talking about the lightsabre lessons and she's been very interested for a very long time. She's afraid to admit it, but the Jedi have a certain pull on her. The Force is strong with her, indeed. :cool:

10. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Welcome, Ann-Louise! Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else.

Just a reminder:

It's from 7 - 9pm tomorrow (Tuesday) Jan 17.
    Ernest Manning High School: Gold Gym (auxillary gym)
    3600 16 Ave SW
    Off 17 Ave SW at 35 St, near Westbrook Mall.
    Some of us will be getting there around 6:45 and will wait at the main entrance (which is on the 17 Ave side of the school) so they can direct you to the Gold Gym.

BRING:
    Shoes with non-marking soles.
    Comfortable clothing.
    Eye-protection is not required, but if you prefer to wear it, please do.
    If you have sabers from our previous class, please bring them.
    Sabers will be supplied for the newbies.

Jen

11. Eric_Nevera

Eric_Nevera Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2005
    Just got back from the first lesson. That was awesome! Thanks and major kudos go out to Sifu Tim and everyone (sorry, I suck at remembering who's who) who organized this. You all rock! That was so cool! I honestly had no idea what to expect, and it was a lot of fun.

Don't know about anyone else, but as soon as I got home I had the urge and was practicing until I (unintentionally) got blisters.

12. Talmerith

Talmerith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    I would also like to say a big THANK YOU! to everyone involved in setting up these classes. Defiantly looking forward to continuing the class.

13. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Hello,

Congrats to your class and looks like you all have a lot of fun :).

14. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    See everyone tonight! MTFBWY!

15. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    As much as I HATE to miss class........I'm really not feeling well and won't be able to make it tonight. I know I dragged my sickly behind in last week, and there were a few times I felt like I was gonna pass out...... but my illness has mutated. I had a really BAD allergic reaction to the medication I was prescribed last week in that, I'm covered scalp to soles in itchy, red welts (hives) and haven't been getting much sleep in the past few days. It's really quite exasperating. Can't get rid of the damn fever or the swollen eyes that make me look like I came out on the short end of a fight with a Hutt[face_hypnotized]

I am, quite literally, 'a wretched hive of bumps and itchery'...ha, ha.........

Have fun tonight everyone.

16. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    Get well! For the jedi it is time to rest.

17. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Sorry to hear you are unwell...must have gotton a really bad bug. Hope you get well soon!:)

18. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    A reminder:

Payment for the next month of classes is due at the next class, Tuesday January 31st. The fee remains $45.

The next series of classes runs Feb 14,21,28, Mar 7.

If you cannot attend next class, please make arrangements to have your payment in.

"Do or do not. There is no try"

19. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    2 things.

1. Lessons were a blast! Love the energy of the group and the information and instruction provided...going to be hard to let this go for awhile due to other issues...maybe I'll try for the Saturday practise!

2. This is a security bulletin. Check your vehicle license plates and ensure it is your own. Just noticed the one on mine was different this evening. Tracking back with the officer that came over about previous locations where I had been since I recall my own plate the Ernest Manning/Westbrook area was flagged (as was my wife's work, where there have been reported thefts from vehicles). Apparently some yahoo is switching plates for a gag (ha ha :() or to hide other "activity". The plate we had on came from some lady in Falconbridge, who obviously did not know hers was missing. The officer suspected it might be confined to the NE but you never know where people travel to and from. So please check your plates.

winbrant

20. forcerider

forcerider Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2006
    Hello,
    Who is the contact for the lesson, it sounds like a great time.
    Also, how long do the lessons run?
    Thanks

21. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Thanks for letting us know about the plates Winbrant. I am going to check mine. As well for those who are using Amazon.com ...there have been some fraudulent e-mails sent out to many customers of Amazon. There are some different ones out there. Be careful...One of them says that your bank has contacted them about attempts on credit cards and asks you to click on a link to verify your account. Don't do it ...it will give them achance to hack as well they are asking for info on your account too. Apparently these E-mails look quite legit but they aren't. Amazon is warning customers that they would never send E-mails like this and they are in the process of tracking them down and closing their site. This has been occuring for at least a month.

22. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    A reminder to everyone to bring your hilts tonight for "blade-off" techniques.

23. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    REMINDER: Everyone was assigned a specific "Rule of Combat" at the last class, and we were to prepare a statement as to how that particular rule is relevant to our training.

Don't forget to bring your homework! :-B

24. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I found a page discussing the forms of lightsaber combat here, and thought I'd share it with you guys. It would likely be classified as EU I suppose, but you can at least see the differentiation in fighting styles when you watch the movies. Make sure to note Form Zero.

25. DrHaggis

Sep 7, 2004
    It is a good article. Note that it is only a mirror, and the source article is on Wikipedia.

See you guys next class!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.