main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Lightsaber of Truth thread" Ask Charlemagne19 for an explanation of any EU question!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I thought I'd work to restore my reputation as an EU scholar and the importance of the Lightsaber of truth (my funky little statement that calls to 20 odd years of Star Wars fandom). Basically, simply put, ask me any question and I'll try to give my wonderfully detailed and speculatory answers.

It's my interpretation of the EU from all the presented facts but I don't try to override anything cannon with my interpretations but interpret merely from these facts (and occasionally in odd directions)

So shoot whatever you'd like to know.

We're going to move all questions of this type to the more general "Ask Any Question About the EU" thread.

2. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Why cant I be a Sith Lord?

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Why cant I be a Sith Lord?

On the contrary GoG, you indeed can be a Sith Lord...pre-Return of the Jedi. The Sith tradition is an ancient one stretching back tens of thousands of years but the most successful of them is arguably Darth Banes that had a "reformation" after a 1000 years of rulerhip over the galaxy (much like Luke Skywalker was part of the Old Jedi, Darth Bane was part of an exisiting Sith Order that he just radically changed). The continuity was destroyed with Palpatine's death though and the death of Darth Vader. Palpatine, despite being briefly ressurected, was never able to take on an apprentice to keep the continuity alive.

The previous Sith Orders (that can be compared to different dynasties of an Empire) still have most of their teachings and beliefs live on. As long as the Dark Side lives, the fundamentals of the Sith are impossible to destroy. However, the Banite Dynasty of the Sith has been destroyed utterly and it's glories were what threw the Force out of Balance and ultimately destroyed it for two decades.

Good places to work on founding your own Sith dynasty from their teachings though are Onderon, Vjun, Korriban (always a winner due to the Sith Lord mummies there), and Dromund Kaas.

4. GoG

Feb 12, 2005
    Why thankyou for your support, and direction.. My teachings shall begin tomorrow at 8 A.M

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, let's see if you can be stumped on this one then, my friend. What is the name of Ulic and Cay Qel-Droma's mother and what source or sources give us this name?

6. GoG

Feb 12, 2005
    Here is a real question..

The Rakata was an ancient Pre- Old Republic race who used the Force (neither good nor evil) to power/use/create Hyperdrive?
    But died out from a plague and all their slaves were set free/escaped?

Were any of these Rakata Jedi? Light/Dark? Or were these people the founders (the ones who discovered how to use) the force and just used it as a tool?

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    You're welcome.

And for further reading, what made the Bane Sith Dynasty so important? The Banite Sith Dynasty is an unbroken collection of roughly 2000 years of Sith Lore that successfully achieved galactic domination twice in it's history. It furthermore managed to lay down their traditional enemies in the Jedi Knighthood twice.

It seems clear that Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, and Darth Plagueis were of different types than previous Sith Lords. Darth Sidious' abilities exceeded that of the much older Jedi Knight Yoda (whom seems to be of abilities that are legendary in comparison to even the legends of the Jedi Knighthood) and he furthermore was able to accomplish such feats as creating force storms and shrouding entire planets in the Dark Side.

(It should be noted that Palpatine was NOT capable of self ressurection as recent retcons reveal that Palpatine was in his original body as of Return of the Jedi and his ability to transfer life was an unstable process that he ultimately failed to master. Sate Pestage and other Dark Siders with the aid of the Dark Lords of Sith on korriban conducted a ritual to ressurect him)

Nearly the entirety of this lore was destroyed on Byss and as such, the Sith Order's teachings are fragmentary and pale in comparison to the previous Lords of the Bane dynasty. Luminya, Jerec, and the Prophets of the Dark Side are arguably as powerful as some Sith magicians of the past but they are nothing in comparison to the late dynasties of Palpatine's glory. Much like the 'Roman' Emperors after the sacking of Rome.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Ok, let's see if you can be stumped on this one then, my friend. What is the name of Ulic and Cay Qel-Droma's mother and what source or sources give us this name?

My Tales of the Jedi sourcebook by West End Games is sadly at my house but I believe that is the resource that covers the most information about Ulic and Cay's mother. The pair were Alderaanian nobles and their mother was a Jedi Knight in a bloodline that stretched far into the past (and continued after their deaths if you believe Star Wars Tales). I do not actually believe her name has survived in records to this point though even though I'm operating from memory (and was never detailed). I have to turn the lightsaber of truth off for this one though.

Here is a real question..

The Rakata was an ancient Pre- Old Republic race who used the Force (neither good nor evil) to power/use/create Hyperdrive?
    But died out from a plague and all their slaves were set free/escaped?

Were any of these Rakata Jedi? Light/Dark? Or were these people the founders (the ones who discovered how to use) the force and just used it as a tool?

Rakatan technology used the Force in some manner in all their devices. From the starforged to hyperspace travel. Their deaths seem to be mysterious but indications are that they were defeated in war rather than a natural cataclysm (due to the lack of their technology or relics nearly anywhere in the galaxy).

The Rakatan civilization was destroyed before the foundation of the Galactic Republic. Little information survives about their culture as it seems there was a large scale catastrophe that nearly wiped out a highly advanced series of cultures around this time from the Gree to the Bith (whom both have been identified as aged space faring races).

The Jedi Knighthood is an order only as old as the Republic and indeed founded by a meeting of several existing religious/philosophy/scientiffic groups attempting to define the nature of their abilities like the Dai Bendu monks.

By this point both the Founders (who likely existed amongst the first people of the universe) were no doubt long gone and the Rakata were either extinct or reduced to a less prominent race so that any Rakatan Jedi would be abberations rather than founders.

It is unconfirmed if the Rakata created the Maw, Centerpoint but indications seem to be likely to them.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    My Tales of the Jedi sourcebook by West End Games is sadly at my house but I believe that is the resource that covers the most information about Ulic and Cay's mother. The pair were Alderaanian nobles and their mother was a Jedi Knight in a bloodline that stretched far into the past (and continued after their deaths if you believe Star Wars Tales). I do not actually believe her name has survived in records to this point though even though I'm operating from memory (and was never detailed). I have to turn the lightsaber of truth off for this one though.

I was afraid you'd say that. The TotJ Companion is also my only source for their mother being a Jedi, but it fails to list her name. We are given the name of Andur Sunrider's grandfather, Jev Sunrider, yet it is intresting to note that Andur was a minor player in KotOR (aka TotJ). Essentially being present to give a reason why Nomi must become a Jedi. Even Dace Diath's father is mentioned by name. But Ulic and Cay were two of the central figures from KotOR through TSW, and Ulic through Redemption. To not at least give their mother a name seems a bit of a shame.

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    here´s a though one: How would a crossbred alien look like consisting of 1 Ewok as father and 1 chiss as mother? [face_blush]

11. LizardJedi

LizardJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    This is not difficult at all... but I'm being stupid.

Where did the Sith originally get their red lightsaber crystals?

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000

here´s a though one: How would a crossbred alien look like consisting of 1 Ewok as father and 1 chiss as mother?

I'm afraid that, barring genetic tampering, that such a crossbreed is likely to be infertile.

There are many scientiffic "impossibilities" in Star Wars such as humanoid breasted reptiles falleen women to rats being mutated into a sentient species by radiation to races that procreate with three parents but these things nevertheless exist (perhaps as the result of said tampering)

However, assuming Ewolks are just furry and odd eared humans, the children would likely be small and furry with blue skin coats and red eyes. It's also as almost likely they will either be Chiss or Ewolks. Such is the way of genetics as defined by Gregor Mendel.

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Where did the Sith originally get their red lightsaber crystals?

The Sith ironically have no Red Crystal planet for their lightsaber crystals. All known red crystals are actually manufactured. It would appear that Red beams are symptometic of a much more powerful blade of a lightsaber that nevertheless is strongly unstable. Since Jedi transfer their "Control" force through their lightsabers, it's possible to make a lightsaber like this stable. However, it's something that only rage seems capable of doing.

Red Lightsabers are said to be so powerful that under certain conditions they can shatter normal blue or green lightsabers (Source: Star Wars Insider).

Given Leia Solo and Kyp Duroun both wield red lightsabers, it seems likely that either Luke Skywalker is unaware of the connection or their hues are just red for other reasons unrelated to Adegan crystal composition.

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so that is how McEwok looks like? o_O [face_whistling]

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, McEwolk suffers from a rare strain of Chiss albinism that makes his eyes appear normal and his skin a shade of pink. Furthermore, he suffers from the birthborn disease that renders him gigantic by Ewolk standards along with furless.

It's tragic really but some indicate it has resulted in his rampant paranoia as well as severe delusions.

Ignites lightsaber of truth

I thought I'd give my opinion on the Sith too and the commonly answered question.

What defines a Sith anyway? Is Lumiya/Kyp/Luke/the Inquisitors/Mara Jade etc a Sith?

It is important, at the start, to recognize that the Sith are a religion first and foremost and one with varying degrees of publicity. What does this mean basically? It means that there are certain ways of practicing the religion that are "right" and "wrong" but there's nothing that honestly keeps individuals from practicing the religion in a wrong manner and many honestly do. Furthermore, it's largely a matter of where you look at it and what criteria you use to define the Sith that honestly defines what is and isn't a Sith.
    For academic purposes only, I'll use Christianity as a point of comparison. The foundation of the Christian religion split from Judaism early on in a manner that is similiar to the Jedi Knighthood and as such both the two religions share extreme similiarities (their use and practice of the Force in this case) but neither identify each other as part of their religion or themselves as part of it. The Sith furthermore went on to mix with an outside culture in the Sith race much as Christians mixed with Hellens and Romans in order to become distinct from the main body of worship.
    The "main" body of delination to the Sith faith is somewhat equivalent to Catholicism as it traces itself directly from Saint Peter to the current Pontiff. The Dark Lord of the Sith is supreme leader of the Sith and though the original Sith Empire was exterminated, the organization largely passed down its teachings through a recognized and delinated lineage to Exar Kun and his disciples. While legends of a 'true' Sith Empire have been forward, it doesn't really change that the Exar Kun group is no less Sith in their own view and power than it and the split is more akin to Eastern Orthodox splits from Catholicism than something fundamentally changing.
    The 'destruction' of the Sith is largely the death of the recognized spiritual leader of the Sith in Darth Sidious and his immediate successor along with all of his accumulated knowledge that marked his "dynasty" that was started with Darth Bane (we don't know enough about the Order of the Sith that Bane inherited leadership of to speak enough about it but he inherited rulership of it in the same manner that Luke did the Jedi).
    However, the destruction of that Sith doesn't eliminate something that can be called "Sith." While Palpatine did an excellent job of uniting the Sith groups (a bloodthirsty version of ecumenism) by taking over Dromund Kaas, exterminating the Sorcerers of Tund (who were a deeply divergent group of Sith), and hunting the Jenasaari...the Sith have enough knowledge to be rebuilt simply by their basic tenants. However, the lineage has been interrupted to them for the most part even if one can claim mystical resumption of that lineage (and one can so long as Korriban exists)....even if the BANITE dynasty is dead. All the secrets of it were destroyed not only with Palpatine and his apprentice but the destruction of Byss and it's libraries.
    Luminya at this point may revive the religion in much the same manner as Astaru has revived the Norse religion. This "Revival" is with no legitimate lineage of succession and dubious record keeping in many places but the faith is sincere. Furthermore, many magical practices and ideas have been influenced by the Sith throughout the Star Wars universe that isn't causally erased. Kyp Duroun was a Sith in a manner of speaking with more claim to the title than most would be magicians because of his teachings but is he comparable

16. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    No he didn't. Rokur Gepta did that, and then Palpatine became friends with Gepta so he could learn all he could about the Sorcerers' dark side powers.

17. JarJarStink

JarJarStink Jedi Master star 1

Dec 15, 2003

If it worked in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles it can work in Star Wars!!!!!!!!

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The Infinite Empire was overcome by plague, I thought.

I have a question. Why did Dark Rend write people's full names every time? All right; lets test your fiddle. In what book did a Rogue ask if the seller had a ratter thist?

:D

19. Silver_mane

Silver_mane Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Why did it take so long after the Thrawn Trilogy to make Leia an offical full fledged Jedi Knight? At least Zahn started her training but why oh why did we have to wait til Dark Nest to see her fulfill her true calling? Do any of the RPG books have an answer?

20. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    :_| [face_laugh] :_|

21. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    Questions Questions Questions?.

You seem well-versed in the Plot-Oriented aspects of the EU, how about the technical?

What is a Based Delta Zero, what does it mean, where was it first mentioned, and how long does it take?

22. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Who are all the known survivors of Order 66?

23. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    ^ K'kruhk, Qu-Rajn, Ikrit, Kai Justiss, A'sharad Hett, and a couple of others that I forget.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Re: Tund

The Essential Chronology retconned that Rokur Gepta was working for Palpatine in the elimination of the Sith magicians. It's noteworthy that Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game detailed not only the extermination of the Jedi as part of Palpatine's efforts but a mass culling of all force sensetive groups. The Fallansai were the first to acknowledge this in the novels.

Re: The Rakata

The Rakata's demise is left delibetely vague by the circumstances of the Knights of the Old Republic. While one could certainly draw it to being plague or war by the creation acts (or both), it's wrong to necessarily say outright what eliminated their Empire in it's totality.

I have a question. Why did Dark Rend write people's full names every time? All right; lets test your fiddle. In what book did a Rogue ask if the seller had a ratter thist?

1. The Force.

2. This is an obscure one my friend and I'd have to do some guessing given sadly my beloved novels are with my sourcebook. Was it Visions of the Future when they discovered the Imperial spy facility?

Why did it take so long after the Thrawn Trilogy to make Leia an offical full fledged Jedi Knight? At least Zahn started her training but why oh why did we have to wait til Dark Nest to see her fulfill her true calling? Do any of the RPG books have an answer?

Leia Organa Solo is possessed of all the potential of Luke Skywalker in the power of the Force so one would think that she would be able to complete her training in a relatively short amount of time given that Luke Skywalker was able to only recieve some training by Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda to do his abilities. Indeed, by Dark Empire, it is fairly clear that Princess Leia Organa Solo is a powerful Jedi that was able to hold her own briefly against her brother and also wielded enough power (with her unborn son) to topple the Emperor's magic forever. In terms of raw ability, Leia throughout the EU through the NJO was equal to the vast majority of Luke's true Jedi students.

What seperates her from them?

The difference is that Leia Organa Solo knew that she had not reached her full potential in the Force as a Jedi Master equal to Luke Skywalker. Luke Skywalker being branded as "half-trained" is a deep mistake as though not as 'bookish' as Tionne or fanatical in seeking as Jacen, Luke's relentless quest for knowledge of the Jedi way and the practicing of it's arts occupied largely the majority of his time for the seven years til it was required to found the Jedi Academy and quite likely much of his time after it was founded. Compared to Luke, Leia was a rank amateur. Furthermore, Leia refused to take on the mantle of a Jedi of her own accord after becoming Chief of State, possibly for political reasons but also her own fear of the Dark Side.

Luke's presented title to her gave her full rank as a Jedi amongst his fellow Jedi and established a powerful precedent that he didn't want monastic clones but did not really assuage her belief that she wasn't filling herself out.

What is a Based Delta Zero, what does it mean, where was it first mentioned, and how long does it take?

A Base Delta Zero (or code BDZ) is the 'ultimate' order of the Empire and Old Republic's military, probably enacted in the Clone War, that has not changed due to the severity of the order. A Base Delta Zero does not call for simply the destruction of all living beings on a planet but also the annihilation of every lifeform and structure on the planet. It leaves the world resultingly a smoking crater. The Death Star was hardly the first world that the Empire had destroyed and it was merely a part of their already well-established military doctrine of genocide.

The Base Delta Zero first appeared in novels with the curious target of the overpopulated moon of Nar Shaddaa but had an earlier history in the Star Wars Roleplaying Game where it was detailed as part of the Empire's doctrine.

The total destruction of a planet's civilization is something that obviously varies by the equipm

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Waru - why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.