main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Lightsaber of Truth thread" Ask Charlemagne19 for an explanation of any EU question!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Who were the 12 students Luke trained when he first established his academy? Take a definitive stand!

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Who were the 12 students Luke trained when he first established his academy? Take a definitive stand!

The official number of students I believe between the JAT and I, Jedi are...

Brakiss
    Corran Horn
    Kyle Katarrn
    Dorsk 81
    Gantoris
    Kam Solusar
    Kirana Ti
    Streen
    Tionne

Cighal, Mara Jade, and Kyp Duroun arrived later at the Academy (which brings up the number to 12)

However, assuming these aren't the count then likely candidates for Luke's remaining three students are...(based on their Jedi Knighthoods and later importance to the Academy)

Daye Azur-Jamin
    Kenth Hamner
    Keyan Farlander

These are largely because Keyan Farlander is an associate of Lukes from the very beginning of the Rebellion and has easy access, Kenth is because of his prominence in the Jedi Knighthood, and Daye because of his later Sith corruption and own rebel ties. Corwin Shelvey and other prominent Jedi candidates most likely met their grizzly ends at the hands of Darth Vader when they went to sabotage the Death Star Superlaser

The next most likely combination would be Nicholas Marr, Cray Mingla, and Keyan but that doesn't feel right

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Here's a related question that's been nagging me - exactly where did Eelysa come in? And what's the timetable for her training/knighthood and subsequently, Saba's training/knighthood? It seems like a whole lot happened with these two in not a lot of time.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Here's a related question that's been nagging me - exactly where did Eelysa come in? And what's the timetable for her training/knighthood and subsequently, Saba's training/knighthood? It seems like a whole lot happened with these two in not a lot of time.

There's about 17 years inbetween the establishment of the Jedi Academy and "The New Jedi Order" and while I don't think the 'one year=one knight' thing is a standard matter and indeed is quite abberant, there's plenty of time for Eelysa to get her training and take Saba as her first apprentice with Saba rising to Jedi Knight before the New Jedi Order and then Jedi Master in the course of the New Jedi Order.

My guess is that Eelysa could be one of the "second generation" of students though (probably there during Darksaber) and Saba was her first padawan, probably taken during the Jaina/Jacen Solo Young Jedi Knights business. As one of the survivors of the decimating Yuuzhan Vong War and having proven her valor again and again, she was selected from the 50 surviving knights to become a member of the Council.

Though it's only an estimation. "Average" Jedi Training seems to take about 2-4 years in Luke's academy with exceptional ones graduating like Kyp after a year (and that proved to be a huge disaster and thus necessitated the Master-apprenticeship reinstitution.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Eelysa first appeared in New Rebellion around 13yrs after Endor, born "untainted" after Palpatine's "demise". In Recovery, she's suddenly a Jedi "Master" at such a young age, who was voxynated. :D

6. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    Why did Admiral Daala leave the Imperial Remnant for her ex-lover-and-again-lover, and then return to the Imperial Remnants service about a year later?

- just enough time to get pregnant and have a kid
    - is Ghent related to her ex-lover (everybody is related in Star Wars and they are both slicers)

7. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    where did lumiya appear? i've read almost all the bantam books and i've never heard of her.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    In TUQ, she's mentioned as having trained over a dozen knights before even meeting Luke, so even with the 1 year thing, it's a tight fit. Unless she had her own academy going, and trained all the Wild Knights at once.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In TUQ, she's mentioned as having trained over a dozen knights before even meeting Luke, so even with the 1 year thing, it's a tight fit. Unless she had her own academy going, and trained all the Wild Knights at once.

I knew this actually, (The All Seeing Know it all knows all) but actually the Ebook Reunion indicates that she DOES take on multiple apprentices at once. As mentioned above, a young student of that time takes on a smaller cadre of knights every so often is one that could have their own minature apprenticeship group...not necessarily an Academy but 2-3 students.

Furthermore, Ben Kenobi "trained" Luke but didn't necessarily complete his training either.

(To further illustrate my answer above that Excellence pointed out a subtlety of, my suspicion is that Eelysa attended at an extraordinarily young age and probably graduated at an age similiar to Lukes or perhaps even younger---My choice of Darksaber merely would make her experienced even at 13...much like Anakin Solo and Jacen/Jaina but I admit it's not necessary)

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Why did Admiral Daala leave the Imperial Remnant for her ex-lover-and-again-lover, and then return to the Imperial Remnants service about a year later?

Admiral Daala is a character that should be locked up in a mental institution. Delusional, psychotic, obsessive, and prone to fits of paranoia....Admiral Daala could concievably have had a child but it's far more likely that she simply determined her lover mattered less to her than the Empire that she was a fanatic to. The fact that Pellaeon, once in command of the Empire, never let her anywhere near the actual Navy once he was in command is something that is important to note and she had to gather together her own private armada for her war....no doubt also because she single handidly caused the fall of one of the Empire's key sectors (it's entirely possible that she would have been shot under a more aggressive leader).

Liegeus and Ghent have no known relationship other than being humans.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000

Admiral Daala is a character that should be locked up in a mental institution. Delusional, psychotic, obsessive, and prone to fits of paranoia....Admiral Daala could concievably have had a child but it's far more likely that she simply determined her lover mattered less to her than the Empire that she was a fanatic to. The fact that Pellaeon, once in command of the Empire, never let her anywhere near the actual Navy once he was in command is something that is important to note and she had to gather together her own private armada for her war....no doubt also because she single handidly caused the fall of one of the Empire's key sectors.

Liegeus and Ghent have no known relationship other than being humans.

where did lumiya appear? i've read almost all the bantam books and i've never heard of her.

Shira Brie aka Lumiya appeared first in Marvel Comics Star Wars 88# (Shira had appeared in earlier comics as a non-Vader like warrior). Shira Brie was Luke Skywalker's former romantic interest/lover but also an Imperial Hand that was sent to infiltrate the Rebellion (and by subtext, seduce Luke). Later, Luke Skywalker was caught in a situation where he could only identify the enemy by what they felt in the Force. So he shot down Shira Brie (sensing she was an Imperial). Lord Darth Vader then recruited her as his apprentice (at least until he could start training Luke) and rebuilt her as he was rebuilt himself. From that point on she's maintained a burning hatred of Luke Skywalker.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You mean Recovery, oh All-Seeing One? :p

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Can you tell I'm writing these while arguing with my girlfriend?

*waves hand*

There are no contradictions!

But yes, I meant to say New Rebellion and Recovery. How I could confuse them is probably the case of sheer scatterbrainedness. We'll assume the lightsaber of truths batteries were low and I need to replace them with energizer.

;-)

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ::blinks::

There are no contradictions.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    To make up for having to dispatch my Charlemagne19's Hands to eliminate CooperTFN....(don't worry, they're cute) I'll draw some questions posed by the Save our Skywalker thread.

However, why did Luke listen to Darth Chicken and Jacen?

Luke Skywalker's relationship with Vergere was a cautious one from the beginning and he kept her at arm's length because she held such a powerful influence over his own nephew. However, Luke Skywalker is an individual that doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth either. Vergere is a treasure trove of information about the Jedi Knighthood of the Old Republic and as valuable a 'find' as E. Brand in Dark Empire, Vima Da Boba, and Ikrit (Odd Bnar died before he could part much advice). Luke furthermore detected early on that Vergere had become influenced by the Yuuzhan Vong in her exposure to 40 years or so of atrocity. Like Joruus C'boath, except that Luke knew Vergere's 'craziness' was by a mind that could be redeemed, Luke set about to bringing her over to his way of thinking. Ultimately, Luke failed or perhaps suceeded in an unexpected way as Vergere died to protect Jacen.

Jacen Solo is Luke's apprentice (right up until the knighting ceremony- see my answer below this group for that) and Luke listened to Jacen even at the start of the NJO when he argued rather nonsensically that a Jedi Council was a bad idea. Luke did come to believe that Jacen was right in there needed to be a clarification what the "Dark Side" was and if you read in TUF, Luke effectively tells Jacen flat out that the Dark Side is evil and external (but it was born internally). Whether you agree with him on this point is unrelated and Luke's own opinions of the Dark Side are not entirely accurate either. Jacen at the end of the New Jedi Order also discovered that Vergere was the one who told Nom Anor about the attack and thus is indirectly responsible for his brother's death. He's also earned his way to Jedi Knighthood through his seeking of a peaceful solution to the Yuuzhan Vong rather than a military one.

What made Luke change his mind about the direction he was taking the Jedi Order at the end of TUF?

Luke Skywalker is constantly re-inventing the wheel when it comes to the Jedi Knighthood. This is partly because he knew so little about the original Jedi at the start, partly because he knows Obi Wan/Yoda wanted something different in the New Jedi, partly because you just can't rebuild a 10,000 man knighthood overnight, and partly because Luke wasn't afraid to put his own beliefs over the Jedis when push came to shove. Luke's main goal isn't to serve the Force or...more precisely to completely make Kyp Duroun and Corran Horn's arguements over who the Jedi serve to look idiotic...Luke wishes to serve Good and believes that is what the Force would want.

Luke's original plan was to simply train students one on one but changed it to a small group in DEII and then made his Academy. Later, Luke would institute a apprenticehood away from the Academy. Later still, Luke created a Jedi Council. At the end of the Unifying Force, Luke Skywalker was interested in clarrifying that you could use the Force to do good and it was only when you used it for selfish ambition or to oppress others that it was the Dark Side because he wanted to make sure Jedi realized it was about morality foremost than some mystical taboo. The decision to place the New Academy on Ossus was a choice to create a strong sense of antiquity for the Jedi. Luke furthermore wanted to grant freedom to his jedi knights as a codified part of the Jedi rather than simply something that was just implied.

I know it has been mentioned that Luke and the Jedi were disillusioned and tired at the end of the Vong War, but that always seemed like half an answer. Do you have more information/spectulation about what else might have caused Luke to second-guess himself so much?

The Jedi Knight's 'embracing of moral relativism' is less clear than one might expect actually and the Jedi haven't really changed all that much.

16. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    wait Charlemagne is it actually possible for Luke to destory a star ? how is that possible ?, does this mean he can destroy a sun ?

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    wait Charlemagne is it actually possible for Luke to destory a star ? how is that possible ?, does this mean he can destroy a sun ?

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."
    -Darth Vader

The Force Storms that were created with a few temples of Exar Kun by dorsk and the other students could easily be used to upset the delicate balance of the interior of a star and result in their total annihilation. While the Sith normally required tools for such massive undertakings of power, Luke Skywalkers abilities are such that it is within the realm of possibility....abet he probably might not survive the attempt.

Mace Windu, Luke Skywalker, Odd Bnar, Yoda, and even Obi Wan Kenobi surprisingly are all Jedi Knights who possess power equal to Sith Lords.

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    thanks now tell me if they're going to make a possible sequel trilogy. ;)

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If Lucas gets bored.

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    lol, doesn't seem likely if he's making 2 SW shows, Indy 4, and that artsy movie.

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ok Charlemagne who is your favorite SW character and which movie is your favorite out of the 6 films

22. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    I can't argue that Obi-Wan wasn't a great Jedi Knight, but on the same level with Jedi like Luke and Yoda? What power(s) does Kenobi possess that rival those of a full-fledged Sith Lord?

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    ok Charlemagne who is your favorite SW character and which movie is your favorite out of the 6 films

Luke Skywalker, followed by Anakin/Vader.

My favorite of the six films remains Return of the Jedi. Despite the recycled Death Star plot, the Emperor's scenes and Luke's temptation to the Dark Side along with Vader's confrontation with his own inner demons remains my favorite scenes of the trilogy. The ground military action of the special commando team lead by Han was also deeply amusing. Given my exposure to Ewolks started with the cartoon, I was also rather fond of them rather than revolted.

Following it is the Empire Strikes back still and then Attack of the Clones for pure entertainment value. I enjoyed the Phantom Menace and Star Wars: A New Hope about equally, even though I know the original is a better film. Revenge of the Sith utterly failed to effect me in the theater and remains my least favorite of the Star Wars films oddly even when I recognize it's the best of the prequels technically. I much preferred Mathew Stover's novelization.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I can't argue that Obi-Wan wasn't a great Jedi Knight, but on the same level with Jedi like Luke and Yoda? What power(s) does Kenobi possess that rival those of a full-fledged Sith Lord?

Obi Wan Kenobi is a character who honestly seems an odd choice for this list I will admit. Obi Wan Kenobi as a padawan was brash, eager, and dynamic but by the time he was about to become a Jedi he'd receded into the miasma of Bureaucracy of the Jedi as part of his efforts to make up for his past antics...ironically what would have made him a knight as great as Qui Gon Jinn.

His earliest "great" accomplishment with the defeat of Darth Maul was by frank blind luck (or in my friend's words "He caught Maul with a cheap shot").

It's clear that during the Clone Wars Obi Wan came into his own. He eased his rules and was allowed to show that he was a great Knight not because of following the Council but because he was a great knight period. Count Dooku comments that he's gone onto become one of the great Jedi Lightsaber masters of the Order (in Form III) and he's also one of the few Jedi Knights whom seems to excell as a military commander (probably because of his experience at Melida-Daal). Lastly, he's finally achieved balance within himself to become a true Jedi in spirit. He is willing to forgive Ventress, acknowledge he loved Siri, and combine reason with wisdom. He is a member of the Jedi Council, dispatches Jedi Killer Grevious by himself, and more.

This is all well and good but still...equal to a Sith Lord?

The best evidence for Obi Wan Kenobi's abilities are the fact that he successfully defeats Darth Vader twice and fought him to a standstill before sacrificing himself (the third time was when they did battle while Obi Wan was pupeteering Luke's body). Vader is certainly powerful as even a crippled Sith Lord (his now canon defeat of Darth Maul and the endless Jedi master deaths prove this).

Obi Wan further spent twenty years learning further secret mysteries of the Force from Qui Gon Jinn's spirit that had gathered these secrets past his death. It seems clear that his power level exceeded a normal Jedi Masters by far.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Okay, I've got a question... what exactly is the status of the Sluissi/Sluis Sector in the Clone Wars?

Specifically, a number of sources (HoloNet News, Star Wars: Republic, ICS3) both cite the sector, especially Sluis Van, to be a Confederacy stronghold. Freedom's Sons begin a guerilla warfare against the CIS in the sector prior to the war. The HoloNet comm center on Praestilyn is shut down by the Republic.
    Yet in "Jedi Trial" the Sluis seem to be Republic-friendly. The Confederacy seems to have noticed the Comm Center on Praestilyn (indeed, the sector itself) for the first time. The Comm center itself seems to have never shut down.
    And yet, the comic has Count Dooku referring to Sluis Van as a CIS stronghold as the Outer Rim Sieges begin. ICS3 has Sluis Van still a Confederacy stronghold even after their leadership was killed on Mustafar.
    So, what exactly is going on here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.