main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Lightsaber of Truth thread" Ask Charlemagne19 for an explanation of any EU question!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Okay, I've got a question... what exactly is the status of the Sluissi/Sluis Sector in the Clone Wars?

The name we have for this is author-screwup. However, because of the words.

THERE ARE NO CONTRADICTIONS from my master Darth Lucas, I'll give a reasonable an explanation as possible.

The best answer for this matter is the fact that the Sluiss Sector's loyalty is not particularly deep to the Republic or Confederacy or later the Empire and New Republic. The Sluiss people largely go where the work takes them and do not particularly seem to be troubled easily by whom is in power. This mercenary drive has been exhibited that even during the height of Imperial Anti-Alien bias, they only expressed minimal displeasure. The planet was a stronghold for the Confederacy less because of the loyalty to the Independence movement than because Count Dooku and his forces moved massive amounts of ships there. If Dooku and his associates believed they would fight to the last man for the CIS then they were sadly mistaken.

Indeed, it seems quite likely that the Sluiss Shipyards were taken with a minimum of damage and almost total cooperation once the victory was won. It's probable that many of the people might have been secretly relieved and Republic sympathizers were moved in from other systems or from the planet itself. At that point, the Republic switched almost overnight from being a Confederacy bastion to being a heart of Republic power in the region.

As for the matter of Praestilyn, it's important to chalk it up to an incompetent commander of the Banking Guild (despite his airs) whom didn't seem to know the global politics involved. Given there's 1000 sectors in the Republic and Muunlinst is literally on the other side of the galaxy, this can be perhaps forgiven. Dooku certainly knew though. Indeed, the Chronology confirms it had been facing fierce fighting prior to that conflict and thus the Republic HAD taken it.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What screw up? Sluis is the name, Sluissi are the residents.

"Threkin Horm"
    [face_whistling]
    "Hrekin Thorm"

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't know what you're talking about.

I'm speaking in old Sluissi.

Clearly you need to study your Galactic Languages.

(That and I was about to edit but I'll leave it since you commented)

;-)

4. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    The Nejaa-Valin/Hal Situation in Light of the Shortened Timeline and Author error in TAS I believe

5. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Here's one for you. You promised speculation and I'm going to see you deliver. :D Where were Vuffi Raa and his folks during the Vong war? Maybe Lando had them in mind when he designed the YVH droids to specifically mock them...

6. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Perhaps I'm wrong. My first tape was Jackson's Thriller after all.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Nejaa-Valin/Hal Situation in Light of the Shortened Timeline and Author error in TAS I believe

I think this may be a fairly shocking speculation honestly but my general belief is that it's entirely possible that Nejaa Halcylon had his child well before the Clone Wars. The implications of Corran Horn's hologram was of his father (and recognizably his father) actually being a padawan or apprentice to his father. Whether Nejaa Halcylon "discovered" his own son and moved him into the Temple on Coruscant to be with him or whether he was training him in secret is a question but it's fairly clear that he was reasonably old when that picture was taken.

The life of Hal Horn takes on an interesting point that he was also clearly a Corsec operative when Garm Bel Iblis' family was murdered and a man with his own life. My estimation is that Hal Horn probably decided at some point that he didn't wish to pursue a Jedi lifestyle (at the very least with his father leading a lie above him) and withdrew from the Jedi Knighthood before he was trained as one. Given he probably wanted to disassociate himself from a "Jedi's child" then he probably had a fake name even from the beginning that was his 'godfathers'

Neeja Halcylon in "Jedi Trial" is thus probably in his mid-forties. His portrayal as a rather weak willed man fits with a man whom would hide his son in plain sight.

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

This is absurd. The man's not a famous and well-used character; it's not hard to check the two principle Bantam books he appears in. Was there no one to spot that continuity error?

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This is absurd. The man's not a famous and well-used character; it's not hard to check the two principle Bantam books he appears in. Was there no one to spot that continuity error?

It's more a question of Timothy Zhan's timeline once again coming back to bite people. The assumption was the Clone Wars were a lot longer ago than merely the lead in for Palpatine's ascendency by many.

10. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    agrees with Excellence its sad when you screw the pooch on an character thats backstory is already established in ONE book.. how2use 'Cron 101 for that Author.

11. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    I call it "George Lucas's waffling coming back to bite people." ;)

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Here's one for you. You promised speculation and I'm going to see you deliver. grin Where were Vuffi Raa and his folks during the Vong war? Maybe Lando had them in mind when he designed the YVH droids to specifically mock them...

The New Essential Chronology indicates that the Unknown Regions were largely untouched during the conflicts (perhaps because of the Hand of Thrawn) and Vuffi Raa's people apparently are not really all that terribly concerned with expansion and are more like the Star Cave dwelling Thonbakka in that they're largely just a peculiar race that happens to be half the size of the Death Star. Space is BIIIIGGGG after all. I imagine that Vuffi Raa has since completed his ascendency into a higher level member of the species though. You also have to wonder how many Vuffi Raas are out there collecting data for the rest of the race though. As for Lando's Yuuzhan Vong Hunter Droids, mostly I wonder if he copied R2's personality into them for the fact they seemed to abnormally humorful for terminators.

13. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    Still, you think Vuffi, if no one else, would have been keeping an eye on the other side of the galaxy to see what "Master" was up to...

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    He'd be afraid Lando would win his people in a card game with their leader

;-)

15. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    OK, I just shot ginger ale out of my nose.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Is that why there's a dozen shaken Ewoks hiding in my bathroom?

17. Bodknocks_

Bodknocks_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2004
    How do the Sandpeople, Jawas, and Tatooine critters survive on a planet with no surface water?

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    How do the Sandpeople, Jawas, and Tatooine critters survive on a planet with no surface water?

Tatooine is a world without surface oceans or much in the way of vegetation but it was once lush and fertile. The very fact that it maintains an oxygen based atmosphere is both a testament to the presence of plantlife (or some other recycling means). Given moisture farming seems fairly successful, if not particularly rewarding, work....it's quite likely there are plenty of wells and oasises in the world. Certainly enough to sustain creatures like the Krayt Dragons and wild banthas in the land.

The Jawas, Sand People, and presumably many city dwellers are built around the gathering of this water. Because Jawas have vaporators and so do the colonists, they have an easier time but there's no indication that they're "needed" really for basic survival. Tatooine is a desert planet but it's far from lifeless...or even Arrakis.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    What Forms do the New Jedi Order use?

The Ancient Saber Techniques of the Jedi Order are largely lost by the time of the destruction of the Jedi Order but like Dread Cthulhu, what is dead may not stay that way. Luke Skywalker was trained in Form V by Yoda and successfully had mastered the lightsaber form along with the fundamentals of Form I by Ben Kenobi. Indeed, his defeat of Darth Vader proved without a doubt his successful control over the style.

Over time, Luke Skywalker has since met several Jedi survivors of the Purge. While Brand, Vergere, and Vima Da Boba unlikely imparted much wisdom to them in the form of lightsaber combat....Ikrit was almost certainly a practioner (and likely a master) of Form IV. Kam Solusar, Fillao, and Flint were brought over from the Dark Side by Luke Skywalker and all had been trained by Dark Siders. Unfortunately, all were probably trained in Form V given Vader's influence and the aggressive yet simplistic philosophy behind it (Vader was also proficient enough in Form IV to train them in it but it is unlikely he did). Palpatine was a practioner of a Sith variant of Form VII (amongst all other versions of the forms) and might have further imparted tidbits of advice to the Jedi. The Jedi Holocron and the one recovered from Vader's castle might have also contained secrets of the lost arts. There is also the secrets of the Danthomir data tapes.

However, the majority of Jedi Knights are Form V practioners by and large because that is the style they were taught. While the datadisks are capable of providing secret techniques, it's almost impossible to learn any martial art without a live trainer. Luke Skywalker is possibly one of those individuals that is above such and it is my opinion that he likely has some grounding in all forms of lightsaber combat at this point. The belief he knows Form VII seems to be born out by his battle with Emperor Palpatine in the audio dramas as well as the fight with Shimmra. It is the incomplete form almost certainly though since Vapaad was extinct by this time (it is also unlikely Luke would use one of the Sith completed Form VII branches)

Gradually as saber enthusiasm increases though, thus shall more forms return.

20. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    charlie:

#1: your thread has spurred my first post in months which i thank you for
    #2: love the thread. your honesty, diligence, candor and dare i say integrity in answering all questions seriously and effectively must be commended!

my questions:

when you say "unfortunately that book is home..." what do you mean? where are you when you are answering all these questions? does your boss know how you spend company time on the internet?? ;)

question 1:
    can you explain the empire's [specifically palpatines] policy that either murders or represses alien species??
    and how "humanoid" is "human enough" to escape said policy?

when i was younger [and before the prequels] i always assumed this policy to be GL's attempt as having the mirror the nazi regime in its use of genocide as the "final solution."

however - after seeing the prequels, i no longer feel GL [if he ever was] seemed to continue this tack.

#1: darth maul. if you despise aliens - do you pick a successor who is one?
    #2: sly moore and mas amedda. sure seems hard to find 2 persons closer to palpatine during his rise - although conspicuously absent from the OT. both aliens -- clearly.
    #3: i find it hard to believe in a GFFA where the homogenous mixture of 1000's [if not more] alien species dominates not only the galaxy at large - but the ruling seat of coruscant - that you as a political leader would find it prudent or necessary to undertake such a costly policy as exterminated well over half of the sentient beings in the galaxy!!!
    #4: what % of sentience is human/humanoid - the jews etc were a minority that hitler sought to eradicate - not a vast majority which seems to make the task an exercise in futility.

question 2:
    post ROTS... who in the GFFA knows of palpatines affiliation to the sith?
    assuming few do... doesnt this kinda fly in the face of the glory of victory in not actually exposing your sith lineage as the final [well, kinda] vanquishers of the jedi order?
    after such an absolute victory - wouldnt you want to acknowledge this victory pubicly?

question 3:
    since when is the maul / vader duel canon and who made it so?

thanks charlie.................. in anticipation............

21. darktalon

darktalon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    I never saw the Empire as being actively genocidal with regard to nonhumans, but "merely" discriminatory. (Don't forget Thrawn as well, though he's stated to be an extreme exception to the rule.) Check out High Human Culture on the wiki: they point out there that Palpatine himself was unlikely to have been racist, or the exceptions would have been less plausible. So yes, the Empire discriminated against nonhumans but didn't officially commit genocide against them; though the racism was probably included to draw parallels to Nazi Germany (and explain why we don't see any alien Imperial officers in the OT) these parallels don't go nearly as far as they could.

22. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Why in COPL, Luke was saved by the Force from death ? While all jedi, including his father never had that luxury. Was it because he still had a purpose to do like creating the Jedi Order ?

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Thanks Episodeonedrone for your compliments.

when you say "unfortunately that book is home..." what do you mean? where are you when you are answering all these questions? does your boss know how you spend company time on the internet??

More like I have a family home and my own apartment. I keep most of my star wars material at my family home.

question 1:
    can you explain the empire's [specifically palpatines] policy that either murders or represses alien species??

That's two questions here....

I'll answer both seperately.

1. What was Emperor Palpatine's feelings on nonhumans?

Emperor Palpatine was a depraved moral blackhole. It's difficult to honestly get a feeling of his real opinions because he honestly hated everyone on some level but himself (and possibly not even he was immune but that might imply some guilt). In truth though, Emperor Palpatine was a Sith and Sith foremost above being a human and a male. While he certainly encouraged human and male chauvenism in the ranks beneath him, possibly with some delight, his actual feelings did not really impact his making use of both aliens and women in his ranks.

Darth Maul's strong force sensetivity along with Zabrak thought control more or less completely dwarfed all other concerns when choosing to train him. The fact that he did have Anakin Skywalker's location according to the Essential Chronology indicates though that Palpatine may have intended to replace him though (Palpatine's plans change and are hidden with dozens of contingencies so it's difficult to figure out his real opinion on anything). Mas Ameda and Sly Moore both attached themselves to Palpatine though at their own stupidity, neither of them met anything but their end after their usefulness passed...much like the Trade Federation and their allies.

It is possible, thus, Palpatine envisioned either a world of human superiority and aliens either destroyed or enslaved (indeed he brought such a world about) but this is only a side effect of being human really and had be been another race...it would factor far less into his plans. It also gave him a thrill to essentially enforce bigotry on a vast scale (it's hard to fathom a person causing massive suffering solely for the hell of it but Palpatine was known for this). Palpatine's desire was for a Dark Side theocracy and all were steps to that goal.

2. What was the Empire's policy on nonhumans?

It's important to note that the Empire was not merely discriminatory. However, it's attitudes towards aliens were fairly uneven in treatment. A great deal of importance basically rests in the fact that there was no set of Hitler-esque laws about 1/4th or so on alien laws from the Emperor himself and instead the Regional Governors plus the military were merely encouraged to brutality towards alien species. It was entirely possible for some alien races to get along fairly fine without even repression so long as the Governor was disinclined to it. Bakura gives an idea of how much discrentionary power a governor has. Races like the Bothans merely were occupied during the war and treated no better (or worse) than any totalitarian species. The fact remains though that the Empire's sins against nonhumans are far more severe though and WERE encouraged at nearly every level of the chain of command.

Genocide and Slavery were present in the Empire on a vast scale. The Caamasi, the Drayden, the species of Boba Fett: Agent of Doom, the Mystics of the Bossoph, the Tangrene, impliances of the dustball that is the Yinchorri homeworld, and similiar cases are all attempts by the Empire to totally eradicate alien species (oftentimes successful). It's important to note that none of these species were species that people knew though (except for the Caamasi). The Empire's extermination policies were hidden from view by focusing on small and easily destroyed groups. Slavery was far more prevalent with even recognizable species as the Wookies and Mon Calamari being slapped in chains. The nightmarish campaigns of occupatio

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    here's a question -- if Tatooine is suposed to be so dry, how come we see clouds in the air? All that moisture shouldn't be hanging around, should it?

25. Callina

Callina Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    *stares at Lightsaber of Truth* Pretty...

Okay, Charlemagne, let me throw a handful of questions at you...

Firstly, at the beginning of the Prequel Trilogy, there are ten thousand Jedi. How many are Masters and how many are Knights? Also, the apprentices were not (I assume) counted among the ten thousand, since they weren't full Jedi. How many apprentices were there? How many were knighted every year?

How high can an average Jedi jump, how much more if he were especially skilled at the technique, and how high can Luke jump?

The Old Jedi Order disapproved of romantic relationships. Did they also disapprove of filial/fraternal ones? Wouldn't padawans and Masters tend toward parent/child affection for each other, and wouldn't fraternal bonds develop between Jedi who worked together closely, especially if they went into danger? Many who fight wars tell of the quick, close friendships they developed with those they hunkered in a foxhole with (both literally and metaphorically speaking). Some even say that it is hard to forge such deep relationships in the civilian world. Is there any reason why many Jedi wouldn't have the same sort of relationship, and if the Jedi Council disapproved, why would they? How would they go about discouraging such friendships?

And lastly...where'd you get that Lightsaber of Truth? I want one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.