main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Lightsaber of Truth thread" Ask Charlemagne19 for an explanation of any EU question!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Dammit, I forget where the Injure/Kill vs. Telekinetic Kill debate was. Was it here?

In any case, here are some likely answers:

1) Luke still did not know Telekinetic Kill by Endor (nor Bakura), but he WAS retconned to have Inflict Pain, which does match what we saw the Gamorreans inflicted with. Still, bad mojo and Dark Side power so no biscuit for Mr. Skywalker.
    2) Luke's first incarnation with Telekinetic Kill was Dark Force Rising, so we can presume that this is one of the things that C'boath was trying to teach him on Jomark.
    3) LOS and Telekinesis. I use the movies for a reference point because the WOTC game was designed around the movies and not the books for the most part. As "variant rules" don't count towards the actual ruling, it's still the case. Now, as for 000's point, Jedi can "see" through walls (Sense Surroundings) so that's not an issue, but where in the canon -- G or otherwise -- was someone manipulating anything out of LOS using Telekinesis?

I'm still trying to look up the exact atonement rules under WEG. Damn them for making so many books!

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    A very good theory DPM.

And perfectly accurate.

Honestly, I'm more inclined to assume that West End Games made a mistake though in this respect. We know that they're not infalliable after all and it seems fairly clearly to be the same power. In this respect, G-canon tends to trump over C-canon in this respect.

:)

3. Obi-Wan-Lebowski

Obi-Wan-Lebowski Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2007
    I've never read Outbound Flight, so i'm not sure about this. But didn't C'Baoth Force-choke Thrawn while they were on board different ships?
    Vader also remote killed Ozzel in ESB, granted, he could see him on the screen. But it's not like waving a wand, he would still have to find him through the force to kill him.

Since it's possible to see through the force, i would say line of sight means "somewhere in the relative vicinity". But then again, im not familiar with the RPG rules for these things.

4. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001

Yes, but he was watching Thrawn on the viewscreen at the time. That might make it a non-breach of LOS.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well my limit of SW knowledge is almost reached and not as good as Blithe in RPG areas.

I wonder if DPM4 would want to create an official EU answering post (obviously separate from this one) with a bunch of EU knowledge gurus appointed.

We have the "I have a question about the EU" thread but what made this one work was the fact it had an appointed head. This new idea would be stickied.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Force Grip is one of the few powers to not require LOS; just viewing the target even over a viewscreen (see: ESB).

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Isn't all of this just game mechanics? :confused:

If TK is LOS, then Force Grip should be LOS because there is no "separate power". Force grip is the use of TK to close off someone's windpipe. Since we have G-Canon evidence that telekinesis can be used without having to be "seeing someone with your own eyes", that's the end of the matter... surely?

8. Melda

Melda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    If you can push on someone's airways to close them, you should be able to push them up until the air, or push them back into a wall.

So yeah, it seems like imposing game mechanics on literature, which leaves me a bit confused.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    *whistles*

My official lightsaber of truth answer is that you need to be aware of an object to telekinetically move it. It's pretty easy to understand.

You can make a "wall of force" and randomly throw stuff but that is different than telekinesis.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not necessarily as there are plenty of powers that don't specifically require LOS.

TK and regular Telekenisis are also not the same.

And Charles, so long as your LoT answer corresponds to the actual canon then you are correct.

11. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Just for clarity's sake, what is the difference between making a 'wall of Force', and telekinesis?

I was under the impression that making a wall of Force was using telekinesis.

Just to explain, I have no idea when it comes to roleplaying things, in case there's a distinction made between the two. Please forgive my ignorance if that is the case.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm not trying to give false information but I think its important to give an in-story reasoning without getting into RPG mechanics.

And wall of Force is essentially what we think of with a "Force Push."

Force Pushes aren't moving the Battle droid but hitting them with a wave of telekinetic energy.

And if you're confused, let me explain.

Jedi Powers are all essentially using the same energy for different effects so if you're wondering how telekinesis is used for a Force Push, Wall of Force, or moving something then also note that its all a function of "Alter" which is one of the Three Basic Force Skills that rules everything.

13. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Hmm . . . so in that case, if you couldn't hit them with a wave of telekinetic energy for whatever reason, then it seems to me that you could just telekinetically pick them up and hurl them at the wall, instead?

I think I understand the distinction you're making now.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes and vice versa.

Projected Fighting , for example, is a power where a Jedi could imitate a punch, kick, and so on from a distance.

Sort of like Shadow boxing that hurts.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_kick

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Projected_fighting

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    See, this is where you get it false: some powers are NOT just a function of Alter but a function of Alter AND another Force skill. Or Control and another
    Force skill. Or Sense and another Force skill. Or all three... :)

I agree that MOST powers are tied solely to one skill under WOTC -- a highly-simplified version of the Force powers for which we all suffer mind you -- but not all and it's a mistake to portray them all that way.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Dude, mod or not, you're just wrong.

Technically, it's all the same but the Jedi divide it up for conceptualization.

In a simple fashion, accelerate healing is Alter and Control because you frame yourself up and alter at will.

Each step by step process is a single power at work but it works in steps.

Oh well.

19. reagan64

reagan64 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2006
    Okay, here's something that's been bothering:

Where did the Lusankya's crew come from? There's no way Isard could have had a full crew down there and maintain security, if they were prisoners they'd mutiny. So where did she get them? She couldn't have gotten them from Tyferra, the human population there is only 10k or something like that. Where did they materialize?

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    As the head of ISB, all of the Lusunkya's care takers were most likely fanatics that maintained the prison while living on it full time.

The actual crew for the ship was probably recruited from the Navy just before it took off.

21. Galactica500

Galactica500 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2006
    Ok, I've wondered this one in freakin' years:

I've got lots of question about the planet and place references that GL made in A new Hope but this one bugs me most. Han Brags that the Falcon made the Kessel run in just 12 parsecs. Okay so I read the Kyp flying through the maw thing a couple of years ago but when I was a kid I figured parsecs meant time. Now I know it's space. So how does it made the Falcon faster cause he took what seem to be short cuts? Like it took everyone else 14 parsecs or 14 jumps? How was that Kessel run brag supposed to impress Luke and Ben?

22. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    Maybe there's something about the Kessel Run that requires you to take a longer route if you want to, y'know, survive it. So when you take such a short route through it, likely through much of what makes the Run such a big deal, and you survive it, it's something worth bragging about.

::shrug:: However they explain it, I'm sure that was one of the first retcons in the history of Star Wars retcons...

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    because of the black hole in Kessel, the closer you came to the black hole then the faster you got to kessel. It's essentially a navigation trick that shows Han Solo is extremely reckless and daring for going so close to the Maw in order to fulfill his contract.

It also shows the Falcon survived such a deadly jump.

See the Jedi Academy Sourcebook for reasons why.

24. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    For an out of universe reason . . . Lucas messed up.

The novelisation has Solo say 'standard time parts' or time units or something like that. The film has the more snazzy-sounding 'parsec', which sounds cool and all, but was not the right term.

So yes, it was meant to be a time duration.

The Han Solo Trilogy by Ann Crespin (spelling?) retconned this to the shaving-off-of-distance-due-to-space-time-curvatures-of-black-holes.

":)

25. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Crispin, and it's a cool scene in the books too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.