main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Lightsaber of Truth thread" Ask Charlemagne19 for an explanation of any EU question!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Lucas claims that Han was diliberately lying, trying to make the Falcon sound better and assuming that Kenobi didn't know what a parsec was. Of course, it could just be that Lucas is trying to cover his own tracks here, but it works both ways.

IIRC, Crispin accounts for both interpretations, with Chewie being extremely skeptical of Han's parsec claim.

There's an alternate Kessel run accounted for somewhere else; something about loading spice from moving space transports or something...

TC

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah, in Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds. I wonder why they threw that (seemingly random) new explanation in there when the other version of the run was already firmly established... :confused:

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    IIRC, it's older than that...one of the old poster magazines, or an issue of the Technical Journal, maybe?

And then there's the Second Kessel Run, which has Han running spice to Kessel...but that seems like a special case.

TC

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    A controversial answer but a necessary one...

Is Vergere a Sith?

Assuming that everything that Lumiya has told Jacen Solo about Vergere is actually factual, the answer is no. Actually, the irony is that Jacen Solo has completely missed the context of what Lumiya's statement was. Vergere under Count Dooku, a noted Jedi Master, is introduced to Darth Sidious under the auspices of learning about the Dark Side of the Force in a manner that is seperate from the Jedi way that has clearly disenchanted Big Bird. In the end, the sheer repulsiveness of the Emperor has resulted in Vergere attempting to assassinate him before she could become a true candidate for Sith Lord. In Destiny's Way she goes against her traditional beliefs about there's no Dark Side to say, EXCEPT for Palpatine she doesn't believe in evil. With him, she actually acknowledges the man is a monster.

Jacen, however, confuses the fact that Vergere is teaching him about her own studies of the Force with teaching him about the Sith way that she rejected.

5. Fritzler

Fritzler Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2006
    In the new Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor book, who exactly will be on Rogue Squadron, as it takes place in between the comics and the books, correct?

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Most likely Rogue Squadron will continue to be composed of the Stackpole comics team. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they are a newly created team that comes to a bad end since Wedge Antilles comes to Admiral Ackbar with the statement that they were suffering greater than necessary causalties since they werent' recruiting an elite unit.

7. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    "What is the economic basis for the empire, and where do they get their resources?"

Somebody asked me that today, and I had trouble answering it with any hard evidence. Any help, Charles?

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The economy of the Empire is not too dissimilar from any other capitalist government over a thriving populace. Theoretically, the consumers and merchants of the galaxy generate the usual amount of commerce that one expects from a living society while the Empire collects its taxes to provide for the upkeep of the military.

In reality, the Empire during Palpatine's era and even during other eras depends on super-conglomerates to provide the majority of its resources in exchange for freedom to pillage the populous/resources of planets silly. The Empire even nationalized several of these major corporations and carried out its own private projects with slave labor or government employed engineers in order to keep civilians out of the loop entirely. Like many governments, the Empire is very anti-labor and kept strict control of groups like the Mining Guild.

Their constant need for more resoirces leads to numerous secret projects and illegal mining as we see in Planet of Mists and Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Why are the Sith Evil?

Two answers for you. The Social and the Mystical.

The Sith philosophy is fundamentally nihilistic. There's no meaning to life and all society is a set of chains. Somewhat Nieztchian but also hedonistic in nature. There's no reason for a person not to indulge themselves to the full extent of their ability to indulge themselves. They believe this is more accurate to how nature works and human society. Jedi altruism is falling into the same trap that the masses have set for themselves and essentially enslaving themselves for no real reward.

(Sith lords like Palpatine realize that Hell exists and awaits them but also become arrogant enough to believe it can be escaped or postponed indefinitely)

The fundamental paradox of the Sith is the fact that they are supposed to be hedonists but we never actually see them enjoying themselves that much. The Sith Way is a variant of the Jedi way and tremendously demanding. By the time a Sith Lord is capable of doing all he can do with the Force, the things that most of us take for granted like sex or luxury aren't really enough to satisfy a Sith.

Instead, they need to glut their egos as a substitute for their loss of physical pleasure. That means being admired for their power and intelligence. That means conquest.

The mystical answer to the question is the Sith channel hatred and anger along with other negative emotions through themselves in order to make themselves more powerful. That slowly erodes the sanity of an individual and leaves him little more than a spaced out shell of a man.

10. drevan1138

drevan1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    Thanks SephyCloneNo15 and Charlemagne19 for answering my question about the padawan braid at the time of KOTOR. Zayne was the one mentioning it in my fanfic so your reference to him was perfect. I do have Commencement but haven't read it for several months.

Thanks again.

-drevan1138

11. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Is any of the following possible:

1. Darth Kryat appears in the LotF series.

2. The return of Anakin Skywalker or Solo in the LotF series.

3. Due to the continuation of Sith, Anakin Skywalker is not the Chosen One, some other character is then designated as the actual Chosen One

4. Palpatine sets up Vader against other Force sensitives, similar to the Luke/Vader duel in RotJ.

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hi.
    I'd like to ask a question that's really bugging me.
    Tahiri got shaped in the Edge of victory Duology, and Riina Kwaad was born.
    All well and good.
    But since it was all cell by cell modification of her brain, is it, theoretically, possible for someone to reverse the progress to eliminate the Riina Kwaad memories?
    Okay, so this Vong!Tahiri probably won't be happy with the idea, but is it possible?

13. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Since I like to steal Charles' Thunder on occasion, I'll field these.

1. Darth Kryat appears in the LotF series.

Extremely doubtful (at least, Krayt in any recognizable form....). DH don't want to tie DR's hands, and I would hope the feeling is mutual. Krayt's Sith are other Sith. LOTF is more about the Banite Sith than the Kraytian ones.

2. The return of Anakin Skywalker or Solo in the LotF series.

We can only hope, but the chances that they'd do it are slim, and the chances it'd be done well are significantly slimmer. Maybe someday we'll get an "Anakin Survived" Infinities Story, but I can't imagine much more than that.

And I'm outta time. Rest are yours Chuck.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    1. Unlikely. The two series are seperate. The most you'll see is allusions like Lumiya did to "other Sith."

2. The later might appear in ghost form but so far, nothing.

3. Anakin is the Chosen One according to Lucas.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, but its effectively a lesser form of a lobotomy. Destroying portions of her brain.

Tahiri has been coping with the memories for nearly a decade at this point and is okay with it.

It'd probably cause significant emotional trauma to suddenly have that unity stripped away.

16. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    3. Due to the continuation of Sith, Anakin Skywalker is not the Chosen One, some other character is then designated as the actual Chosen One

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: The Prophecy is not about once and for all eradication of the Sith!

Chuck, tell us what it really means.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I've answered the question three times in the thread but because no one can be expected to read it all...

"Balance to the Force is brought about by the first death of Emperor Palpatine and the fact that he has no living apprentice afterwards. This effectively destroys the Empire and results in a tremendous loss of Sith knowledge (the effective entirety of the Banite orders 1000 years of accumulated Dark Side knowledge). Palpatine as the most powerful Sith of all time is the imbalance and when he dies, the imbalance is rectified. The Force might have been briefly thrown back out of balance by Palp's resurrection but a SECOND prophecy dealt with that in Dark Empire."

18. Galactica500

Galactica500 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2006
    I have a hyperspace issue

Until I started with EU stuff I had no idea there were hyperspace lanes. Now in Star Trek there are no lanes at all, they ignore star gravity and go much slower than in SW cause they are in 'real space'...right?

Ok, so why are there lanes in a huge galaxy? When I think of a lane I think of one small path on which we go with no deviations unless it is a 4 lane hi-way. Are these lanes huge? No lanes to the chiss space? Is that why that whole part of the galaxy is unknown. From what I've read the galaxy has had hyperspace for what 25-100 thousand years. Wouldn't the whole galaxy been mapped for the most part? What I'm asking is if hyperspace is outside 'real space' how can there ever be any road blocks?

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Ah, a very relevant question.

The issue of hyperspace in Star Wars is the fact that Hyperspace is more like Babylon Five's Hyperspace than it is Star Trek's "Warp" system. Basically, Hyperspace is very dangerous and gravity shadows of objects in the real world result in your vessel hitting them at speeds roughly equivalent to....well.....the term vaporized doesn't cover it.

Hyperspace Lanes are effectively "cleared space" that contains no asteroids, gravity fields, nebula, or other bits of space debris that would destroy your starship. Han explains it best in A New Hope....

HAN: Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy!
    Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or
    bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick,
    wouldn't it?

Given the Star Wars universe is so incredibly cluttered with inhabited planets and the like, it seems pretty much impossible to chart every world in the galaxy let alone all the space inbetween every world. Hyperspace is also theoretically tied to Otherspace, which means there's an entire other dimension filled with debris that they're navigating.

The "lanes" that exist to every world in the galaxy are in the millions really with the navigation computers able to calculate safe routes through the countless "safe passages" created throughout the galaxy. No human brain could accomplish it.

In order for a new Hyperspace Lane to be "created" you basically have to go at sublight speed through space until you reach the next spot on your list. That's a long, tedious, boring process that is for only the most dedicated space explorers. Data is also routinely lost to regions that aren't visited frequently too.

20. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Isn't the original quote, or at the very least, Harrison's delivery of it, more along the lines of "Travelling through Hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, kid..."?

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well that was the 4th script draft I got it from.

Harrison was known to modify things

22. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    That's how it is in my deepest childhood memories at least.

23. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm looking for anything on a Count Dooku backstory, mainly his time as a Jedi, up until deciding to leave the Order. Is there anything out that covers this period?

24. JaggedFel568

JaggedFel568 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2005
    May I answer this one, Charles?

As far as I know, only two books mention Dooku pre-Sith: Legacy of the Jedi by Jude Watson and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart. The latter only has a flashback, but if you want info on Dooku, it's a good read.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There are also tidbits in Jedi: Dooku and Jango Fett: Bounty Hunter.

Surprisingly, Count Dooku was a humble and decent human being as a Jedi. A little bit distant from his apprentices but oddly he picked ones that had strong emotions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.