main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Lightsaber of Truth thread" Ask Charlemagne19 for an explanation of any EU question!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Do we ever get to see Nespis VII (I think that's its name, the space station that got blown up by the GG in DE) in its heyday?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe it showed up in the Tales of the Jedi series briefly.

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think you're thinking of Exis Station, which (IIRC) shows up briefly in the Redemption storyline. But I could be wrong.

Nespis VIII also appears in the Galaxy of Fear books.

TC

4. SolGonsar

SolGonsar Jedi Master star 1

Jan 20, 2007
    Okay I have a few questions:

1. How come we never see Mara Jade answer for anything? I mean sure she's one of the "good guys" now, but how many rebels or innocents did she kill? And yet not a year in prison.

2. How come Dengar changes from an assassin who can dodge blaster-fire, too a useless wimp, in just a few months(or less, not sure)?

3. Is there any in-universe explanation for Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, and Obi-Wan's massive aging? In ROTS Owen is only about twenty three, but twenty years later he looks 60-70?

*Sorry if these have been asked before.

5. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    Not to do Charley19's work for him, but you can chalk that up to living a subsistence lifestyle full of toil and hardship on a god-awful desert planet for twenty years.

...and it was the 70's and they were heavy smokers...

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    1. Mara Jade won clemency for presumably any past offenses for the Empire due to her participation in the destruction of Grand Admiral Thrawn's cloning facility. The fact that she also aided in the defeat of an Imperial Commando squadron that penetrated the Imperial Capital Building and threatened the Vice President's children was also a reason for her being shown so much mercy.

Frankly, it's important to remember the Rebellion is composed of a great number of Imperial Defectors. General Madine (eventually Supreme Commander) killed probably THOUSANDS of Rebel soldiers in his lifetime. He's the former head of an entire branch of the Stormtroopers let's not forget. There's also the fact that Coruscant was taken by one of the most high ranking Imperial Generals (who again, killed thousands of Rebels in his career).

Any doubt about Mara Jade's loyalty was also dispelled by the fact that she and Kyle Katarn inflicted incredible damage on the Imperial war machine during the Rebellion's most desperate hour in the Dark Empire period of time. Mara Jade no doubt killed plenty of Rebels and perhaps some innocents but her crimes paled to the actual war criminals prosecuted by the Republic.

2. Dengar's change from Hero to Zero should be taken in the context that Dengar was never as good as the other Bounty Hunters in Vader's line up. He was good at what he did but he was actually the weakest man out of the players that Vader summoned. Boba Fett's willingness to partner with Dengar had more to do with the fact that the man saved his life.

By the time that Return of the Jedi had occurred, Dengar also had learned to feel emotions again and was working on retiring from hired killing.

3. The best explanation is poor diet, hot desert heat, and the fact that they work themselves ragged on that farm for the Lars family. In the case of Obi Wan Kenobi, he was visibly stressed and combined with the elements he was looking rather unpleasant by that time.

It should be noted that Alec Guiness is only slightly older than Obi Wan actually is. Alec also looked young for his age. It's also possible Obi Wan dyed his hair in order to appear more elderly than he actually was.

Hopefully that puts an end to certain Mara jade questions.

7. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    How big is the current Jedi Order as of LotF: Exile? Thanks in advance, I don't know what I'd do without this thread!

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The implications are that the Jedi Order is approaching about a thousand members.

9. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    I've got a question!

I'm not all that familiar with finer points of the Yuuzhan Vong and I was wondering: how do they reproduce? Do they do it the old fashioned way, or do they clone new Vongs in their creches (like they clone everything else)? Are little Vong ever shown or mentioned in the NJO?

10. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    What's the in-universe explanation for why Jedi in the new Jedi Order can have romantic relationships?

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    To address some of the changes that Luke made...

Luke is hardly an orthodox Jedi. He was trained when he was nineteen by Ben and Yoda's decision. The need for the Jedi Knights to be reborn was also so great that training children from childhood was not really an option. Alot of the adults he recruited were not inclined towards celibacy as part of their efforts. Kyle Katarn and Corran Horn both were in romantic relationships at the time while Luke had also known women in an intimate fashion. He also still hoped to recruit his sister Leia into being a Jedi.

Imposing the arbitrary rule of chastity and celibacy seemed to be a real recruitment downer that he couldn't afford.

The fact that he could get a lot more fully adult Jedi trained to Jedi status (by skipping primary, high school, and college educations) quicker was also a reason for his decision.

Frankly, it boiled down to Luke setting up the rules and not believing in attachments being bad. In this respect, he's more like the Pre-Odan Urr Jedi.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In one of the weirder notions of the storyline, the Vong seem to have sex in order to fertilize eggs and impregnate females before the resulting embryos are put into the kreches to be raised communally. It's only really hinted at in a few places but it goes a long way to explaining how the Vong came to their strange mindsets.

13. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Someone said in another thread that Jacen's flow walking to the Jedi Temple Raid was made note of in the RoTS novel...I skimmed through it real quick and didn't see anything. Is it true?

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I need to know about prisons in the Old Republic. What prison would someone be sent to for a minor offence? I'm writing a fic about a coruscant security forc e guy who was found to be receiving funds from criminals. Any suggestions on where he would go and for how long?

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Fraid not, just fanon.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    300 per DN, with 250 members gained in the six-seven years between the end of the Vong War. Assuming 4 years passed, thats around 200 members more...500.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Huh. A genuine mistake on my part!

*Gives Sinrebirth a No-Prize*

I thought that seemed too many.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    During the Empire, most criminals were dispatched to local planetary penitentiaries. It was the really hardcore criminals and political offenders that got sent to the planets Despayre, Kessel, and Sevarcos. There were also Sector Asteroid prisons as "Jedi's Honor" showed.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Just some more on that: Timothy Zahn does a great job of addressing this from Luke's point of view in Survivor's Quest. Keep in mind that the Hand of Thrawn duology was written prior to the release of Episode I, and SQ was written with the knowledge of the Old Jedi Order's forbidding attachments. As such, Zahn wrote luke in SQ with that knowledge, and based on the attachment that he and Mara have through the Force working in beautiful harmony with their emotional connection (also glimpsed in Vision of the Future), Zahn does excellently in writing Luke's coming to terms with his decision to allows attachments and marriage in his New Jedi Order.

Also, keep in mind that Luke founded his Jedi Order with help from Holocrons from thousands of years ago, and didn't learn too much about the prequel-era order until some years after his Order had already been established.

20. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Just idle curiosity, number wise Humans seem to be the largest single species in the Star Wars Universe but what would be their percentage overall, do they comprise most of the Galaxys population or are they just the largest single group and the total number of aliens actually outnumbers them.

21. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm talking Old Republic.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Which pretty much handled the things the same way surprisingly.

:)

A tad less extreme but that's where the information comes from.

23. Abomb

Abomb Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2007
    Charlemagne, I'm having a few problems with continuity in James Luceno's "Dark Lord" book. In the beginning, it says that the atmosphere was misted with anti-laser aerosols so no blasters could be used, but later on people use blasters and they consider calling in a turbolaser bombardment. How does this work? Thnaks in advance.

24. Abomb

Abomb Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2007
    Never mind, I reread the relevant passage and figured it out, its actually not contradictory at all.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well glad you figured it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.