main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Lightsaber of Truth thread" Ask Charlemagne19 for an explanation of any EU question!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Death sticks are decidedly different from smoking, yes.

Frankly, we see Jabba smoking a hookah in the original trilogy and other characters also smoking with a water pipe being a preferred device on some parts of the galaxy.

cigarras are actually more like cigarettes from the illustrations of the first to use them. Our favorite starship thief seems to use them on the end of a pipe like Cruella Deville.

Game mechanics of Jedi Academy sadly don't reflect the actual Jedi Orders lightsaber styles (especially with the development of lightsaber forms). Luke Skywalker practiced Form V of the Jedi Order and presumably passed that along. Its likely with Ikrit, Callista, and other Jedi that have arrived that the Lightsaber forms of the Old Order have been ressurected.

2. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    what came out first: The SW Holiday Special or the old comic that had boba fett and luke meeting for the first time?

EDIT: happy friday 13th everyone!!!!

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Holiday Special.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Is Anakin's Death the Cause of the Shattering of the Star Wars Universe?

People have a tendency to try to blow things out of proportion in fandom. In the case of Anakin Solo's death, fans of the character have attempted to turn their icon into a Gwen Stacy "Death of the Silver Age of Star Wars" sort of event. This is partially because of some fan's essays that Anakin's death broke the Star Wars universe and divided the Solo-Skywalker clan.

The death of Anakin Solo is important. Anakin Solo is the first Star Wars hero with his own book series and a lead position in two novels to die in a Star wars book. The character has been with us since Dark Empire and that's nearly as long as the EU has existed. Sadly, because of his speech impediment, Chewbacca never really got to do much while Anakin was frequently the focus of subplots.

In truth, the death of Anakin Solo hasn't honestly had much story impact. The events which bent Jacen Solo to the Dark Side of the Force were largely his lust for forbidden knowledge along with his (already demonstrated before Star by Star) elitist and amoral nature. Jaina Solo's Dark Journey took second stage to her complicated lovelife. While respected, Anakin really couldn't have contributed much to most of the battles.

Nevertheless, to many fans, Anakin's death represented the moment when Del Ray spoke that they were no longer playing by the original trilogy's rules but by the rules of comic's "Iron Age." Making him a point that being a nice guy didn't mean a happy ending despite that being rather adequately demonstrated for large numbers of characters (like that thwice bedamned damn horse-girl). He's an easy cause to rally behind.

Still, inertia is the strangest motivator here since for literally years afterwards, many actually believed that Anakin would make a Lazarus style ressurection. That it was some kind of hoax in the beginning or that he would be brought back in a Sith or Yuuzhan Vong ritual. Despite evidence to the contrary, interest in Anakin grew because of the discussion despite his complete absence from new stories.

The role of Anakin as a storytelling device continues to exist largely in the minds of fan whom seem to want to 'keep his memory alive' despite the fact that his story ended for the purposes of carrying NJO's "No one is safe" motiff. In other words, the character has ceased to have much of an impact on existing storytelling but fans dearly seem to wish otherwise. Hence why we get abominations like the Anakin-bot.

5. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    While I do realize that the Stormtrooper Corps exist in Legacy, what is the state of the Stormtroopers in the LotF Era?

6. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I don't think the Corps actually exists in the Second Empire-- everything we've seen points toward them having been absorbed into the Army.

We have no information on the state of the Stormtrooper Corps during 75, though. I'd speculate that the ST Corps was disbanded and/or merged with the Army back in the early days of the Remnant, but that's nothing more than speculation.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The indications are the Stormtrooper Corps was largely phased out for regular recruited marines in the Imperial Remnant.

Indications are that the Clones are still employed in the hand though, just at far lesser numbers.

8. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    But the Remnant recruits are still wearing the white body buckets, right? 'Cause, you know, in the end that's all that matters.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    This has probably been asked before, but I still can't find the answer on wookiepedia, so thought might as well ask here:

In most examples I can think of, or can look up on the wookie, when someone becomes a Force ghost, their physical body disappears. This happened with Ulic millenia before the prequels and original trilogy, and with Yoda, Obi-wan and various others over the years.

What I'm curious about is why Qui-gon, who is the first modern Jedi to figure out the Force ghost technique, didn't have his body disappear too? Is it not necessary to have the body go poof, or did he not have enough time/energy to prepare, or what? Though Obi-wan didn't have that much time either, unless he had been preparing for it since leaving Tatooine (which might explain it). I think Anakin's (Skywalker) body also did the disappear thing, then Luke burnt his armor, but I definitely remember them burning Qui-gon's body at the end of Episode I.

Or it might just be an irreverent detail, but then again, in the Star Wars EU, there's almost no such thing as a minor detail.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    So it seems, though one might argue it takes a long while to get to the level of skill that the clones displayed.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the canon answer was that Qui Gon didn't learn the technique that he taught to Obi Wan and Yoda. Instead, he instinctively achieved it by his love of the Living Force. Ergo, why no Ghostigon being able to speak to his friends until far later. He had yet to be able to contact them.

12. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Did Qui-Gonn ever actually appear as a Force Ghost? I know he communicated with both Yoda and Obi, but did he communicate only in the "Run, Luke, run!" sense (voice only), or as an actual blue ghosty? I can't remember if he actually appeared to Obi at the end of Dark Lord, or just spoke sith him. If he's never actually appeared as a member of the Blue Man Group, could that be related to his body not disappearing into the Force?

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Revenge of the Sith novelization and Last of the Jedi all have much more concrete Qui Gon Jinns. I will confess that I think your theory has merit though.

14. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    WHo in the world is that guy on the Japanese version on the Darktide 2:Ruin.

The ne in the blue who has a violet lightsaber...who's jumping out at you....

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    [image=http://www.compufort.com/users/ivanova/Corran/japruin.jpg]

That would be Corran Horn.

16. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Charlemagne, my good man, I hope that you can help me out. Is it known where in the galaxy the Death Star was in A New Hope before travelling to Alderaan?

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Probably in the Despayre system.

18. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007

Okay then I wonder why it isn't posted on wookiepedia...it's a gret picture.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It would make sense, and Reaves & Perry's new book may shed some light on it.

20. Abomb

Abomb Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2007
    Do you have a complete list of all Alema Rar's injuries? I have mutilated arm, eaten by spider thing, foot cut off, on lekku cut off, what else?

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Actually, I'm fairly certain that's the canon answer.

YODA: Failed to stop the Sith Lord, I have. Still much to learn, there is ...

QUI -GON: (V.O.) Patience. You will have time. I did not. When I became one with the Force I made a great discovery. With my training, you will be able to merge with the Force at will. Your physical self will fade away, but you will still retain your consciousness. You will become more powerful than any Sith.

YODA: Eternal consciousness.

QUI-GON: (V.O.) The ability to defy oblivion can be achieved, but only for oneself. It was accomplished by a Shaman of the Whills. It is a state acquired through compassion, not greed.

YODA: . . . to become one with the Force, and influence still have . . . A power greater than all, it is.

QUI-GON: (V.O.) You will learn to let go of everything. No attachment, no thought of self. No physical self.

I think there's tidbits in the first LotJ book, too, where it's made more explicit that in the highest form of this technique, the flesh is given up to the Force as well.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Acid burns from the beast's stomach.

That's largely it.

23. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I have a question.

Anakin Skywalker was in his prime when he lost to Obi-Wan.

Besides the jumping at Obi Wan and losing my legs part, Anakin and Obi-Wan were pretty much equal.

Who would have won if Anakin was more controlled and fought Obi-Wan on a level basis?

And how did Obi Wan keep Anakin off so long?

Beast

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I've highlighted the part of what you've said that answers your own question (your last question anyway).

Obi-Wan held off Anakin for so long because "Blade-to-blade, they were identical".

Anakin was in the prime of his life physically, but certainly not in terms of his Jedi abilities. He'd only really begun to scratch the surface of his potential. In RotS, Anakin, despite what he thinks, isn't much more powerful than Obi-Wan.

EDIT: Uh, I forgot what thread I was in... sorry for stealing your job Charles. [face_blush]

25. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Sorry I should have made my question more specific.

Anakin killed every Jedi in the temple, Masters included, and it was shown that when Anakin dipped into the dark side he was much more powerful.

Epi.2=amputated arm Anakin
    Epi.3=Headless Dooku after making Anakin slightly mad.

Anakin had fully accepted the Dark Side when he fought Obi-Wan, but he hadn't when he fought andkilled Dooku.

Who would have won if Anakin (Mustafar Anakin) fought Obi-Wan on a level basis? No lava

Beast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.