main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Lightsaber parts location/retrieval

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Ranger_007, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Home Depot was clearing out a bunch of faucet handles today, and I bought 8 of them. If anyone needs a pommel, let me know.

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'd like to make a couple of new hilts but I've been putting it off as Home Depot and Revy have upped their prices on the plumbing tubes I used before. What do these faucet handles look like Shawn? If they're workable, I would certainly buy a few off you.

3. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Grrr! (Ignore this post - the system hit a glitch and my last post ended posting twice)

4. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    They're the kind that I have on my lightsaber (the top one in this pic).

[image=http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/ShatirLavan/DSC01202.jpg]

5. Darth_Corro

Darth_Corro Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    Ouch! Definitely no stunts with the bottom saber. Doesn't it hurt when it's on your belt? Looks badass, ShatirLavan. Kris, I'll PM you regarding the order and we'll be off and running.

6. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    That was a saber I made for my buddy Matt. He throws it a couple of times in our fanfilm. One time it hits the third character, the next time I have to catch it. For the first throw, one of the spikes penetrated Jeremy's leg about 1 mm (by accident). Then when I had to catch it, we did two takes of me trying to catch that spikey saber. The first time I caught it safely, but I caught the hilt in a reverse grip, which we couldn't use for our choreography. The second take, one of the spikes dug into the palm of my hand. In the end, we ended up just using the stunt saber (which has no spikes) and zooming out to lose some detail.

7. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Jason/Kris - did you put in a order?

8. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    We are working on it,, but PayPal is really slow to confirm $ transfers. Yes, I remembered you grips.

9. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Thanks guys :)

Let me know what I owe.

10. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I'll bring some of those pommels to BobaJay's party if anyone wants them.

11. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Has anyone seen or bought self-adhesive craft foam in Calgary? I went to Michael's on 32nd ave a couple weeks ago, and they just had the regular stuff.

12. Ark-Daragon

Ark-Daragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2006
    could some one teach me how to construct a lightsaber hilt ... not one of those fancy ones with the lights just a regular one.... i have some idea's of designs just not the skill to creat somthing like that yet

13. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Head over to the fanforce webste. Hit the links page and check out the light saber links. Thats a good start there. Light sabers from the big yellow box is always a great starting spot.

14. Ark-Daragon

Aug 19, 2006
    Thanks. Yea i made a lightsaber hilt once. out of pure aluminum. did it at school when i was bored it took me 3 classes to make ... that and a couple of classes i skipped to continue on my piece. Maybe i'll bring it at the meeting to show yea

15. Darth_Corro

May 13, 2006
    Yes, definitely. Show and tell is always my favorite part of the meetings, besides seeing all your beautiful faces again. :)

16. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I'll bring some hardware to the meeting and show you how to put a basic one together, Ark.

17. Ark-Daragon

Aug 19, 2006
  18. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    So...........no one has any thoughts on this item?

19. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, Kris - sorry.

20. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Woohooo!!! After much searching (mostly online), I went to Calgary much earlier than I usually do, with a list of the addresses of all the Michael's Craft stores in Calgary, hunting for the self-adhesive craft foam. Guess what?! The very first store I tried, had 2 sheets left!! I bought them both!! They are smaller than the regular sheets, but I should still have enough to do at least 2 hilts, maybe even 4.

Now, I just have to finalize my design for my anodized hilt. So many ideas in the last couple weeks, and not enough money (to buy basic hilt parts)!

21. Darth_Corro

May 13, 2006
    Just in case you're all wondering...the anodized hilts look AMAZING! I can't unveil until I'm finished but I can tell you that going through the effort to find an anodizer was well worth the effort. It seems Kris and I are in some kind of Dark vs. Light Jedi trip. Very cool, since before I joined the group, I was only dreaming of doing this kind of stuff.

22. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Yes, the anodizing DOES look sweeeeettttt!!!! Therefore I'm taking a LOT of time to tweak my design for this hilt, as I don't want to scew anything up, or regret a design feature later. I THINK it'll be done be the time halloween roles around. My goal is to have it finidhed to my final specs, by Oct.28, and hopefully I can make it to the Science Centre event and 'reveal' it then.

23. Jedi_Ranger_007

Mar 15, 2004
    Next parts-related question:

Does anyone know of any place in Calgary that deals with lithium-ion battery packs? I'm looking for 2-cell (side by side and end to end orientation) 7.2/7.4V and at LEAST 800mAh.

I have found a great-looking online source (in the U.S.), but I'd like to try to shop locally.

These 5watt leds are power hogs, and 6AA takes up too much interior space, and AAA don't last nearly long enough. A traditional 9v battery will work, but has extremely short life span in this application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.