main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Party!

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Jayna, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Seeing as how there is some interest in making our own lightsabers, I say we get together sometime soon and have a lightsaber building party! We could go to Lowes and pick up what we need and Master Q would share with us his lightsaber building wisdom. I've been wanting to build myself a lightsaber and I think it'd be a blast!

I was thinking that we should do it shortly after spring break. Hopefully classes will be in a relative post-break lull.

Any suggestions on a good date and time?

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Oooo, Master Q. I like it! Q, the Dark Side arrogance is *Dangit Yodie, shut up! You heard the lady, 'now I am the Master' muwahahahaha*

*cough* sorry, late night. Anyway, it's funny that you bring this up because I was just sketching out the design for my next saber. I highly recommend this to anyone that doesn't have a picture of the one they want to do. The most important thing is getting all of the parts you will need. I recommend for the newbie this website, Big Yellow Box Sabers I did design VI, but with a few slight modifications, mainly because Home Depot sucks for saber parts so nothing fit right :mad:

I would be happy to be a guide, but the most rewarding part is knowing that you did something with your own two hands, sweat, and blood. Well, maybe not so much blood because blood and power tools are not a good thing.

When we get a date together I can try and get access to the Thermo Lab, which would be a great place to work on it. If you know anyone interested, let me know so I can get a general count. The main thing is to have a plan and parts list before the party. If you would feel more comfortable having a pre-party party I would be happy to look over any designs. And like I said, I'll go ahead and post a pic of mine up here sometime tomorrow.

3. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Oh yeah, one more thing before I forget, figuring out how to attatch your saber is very important. Most people like D-Rings, and it worked great on my first saber, and it was a replica so it added to the authenticity, but my next one will be using an official Comdec Clip, which you can get on ebay for about $15. The seller has 13 left, and these are the design used in the movies. clickie Hopefully after I get mine in I can find a way to make the wheel that attaches to the saber so I don't have to pay $15 a saber and end up with 400 belt clips :p

4. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Why would you have to make the "wheel" or button thingy? It comes with the clip!

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well, the clip comes with a 'wheel', but if I make multiple sabers ;) then for each one I want to clip on I will need to buy mulitple clip/wheels for $15 a pop. Now, if I just buy one set, then find a way to reproduce the wheel, then I can re-use the clip I bought and just make another wheel for each saber. :)

6. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok all, here are my plans for my next saber. [image=http://home.cfl.rr.com/mawshipyards/Saber%20V2.jpg]

You don't have to be this detailed as long as you more or less know what you want. I don't mind wandering hardware stores looking for stuff. Sometimes you can find some really spiffy things. I also don't know if I want to add some LED's or not. I don't think they would light up, but I think just some blue static LED's would look nifty. :)

7. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Good news all, it seems that I have a 90% chance of getting access to the lab for our party. Mike, the ERFSEDS Project Manager and a friend of mine has the key right now and I was talking to him while working on (and breaking :_| ) my rocket, and the quote was 'Sure man, you can borrow the key whenever, or if you need to get in just shoot me an e-mail' :) And I didn't even have to use any Jedi mind tricks.

8. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Alos, including my personal tools, we'll have access to 3 dremels, two drills and a drill press, loads of sandpaper, and whatever nifty things you can find around the lab, within reason :p

9. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Hoorha!

That's awesome! I can't wait. As soon as other people interested start posting to let us know, we can start talking about a date.

10. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    A date? well ummmm, oh wait, for the party! Yeah, that's what I meant. Eeerm :_|

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, it looks like the 22nd I have a Girl Scouts thing with ERFSEDS (anyone wanna help?) and the 29th I have an estes launch behind the AWS, then the 4th (Friday) I have ERFSEDS movie night and I don't think I have anything that weekend, and the 12th is the next big launch. So not factoring in school, I am good for Sundays. :)

12. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Sundays after church work for me, although I will not be able to do it the Sunday after we come back. The following Sunday (the 30th) would work for me though. How's that sound?

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Sounds good to me. Where do you go to church?

14. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    First Baptist of Daytona Beach. It's the big one down ISB before the bridge.

I'm growing fond of it. I'm not a baptist, but it'll do.

15. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey now, I'm a baptist. My uncle is a baptist minister up in Georgia. I wonder what he would say if I told him I was a Jedi :p

16. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I'm not knocking baptists- I'm just stating that I'm not one.

I'd like to see his reaction. "You're a WHAT?!?" :D

17. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Again, I tease :p You should have heard his reaction when I told him I listen to rock. I thought my phone was going to explode!

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I got my comdec belt clip in today!!! :D

19. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    By the way, as of our last meeting, our lightsaber party is tentatively planned for Saturday and Sunday March 29 & 30.
    Time and place has yet to be determined.

Are these days still going to work for everybody who wants to go?

20. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Good for me. I'll find out if I can get us in the Thermo lab, and if not we can use my place.

I was thinking, I have a launch Saturday and Karma has the Boeing picnic, so that would be a good day to get the materials and probably go over the basics, like tool usage and safety and such things. That way Sunday we can get in there and just knock 'em out :)

21. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I was thinking that my launch shouldn't last past about 1300 Saturday. What time is your picnic over Karma? Would we want to have the Farscape night that evening as well, considering we are all going to be together anyway? I know Jack really wants to do both, so maybe that Sunday would be a great day to take the pics. I have a really nice 35mm camera if we wanted to go that route, and Jack has a digital. It shouldn't take more than about an hour at Lowe's to get everything, then about half an hour to go over the safety stuff Saturday, so we could be done by around 5 with that, then start Sunday around 1300ish? Does that give everyone time for church and wake up and such things?

22. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Sounds good to me!!!

23. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I should be back in town around 4-5pm on Saturday the 29th.
  24. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I will have access to the lab, and Jack has a bunch of tools that he's going to bring, so it looks like it's going to be a great weekend :)

25. MortWindu

MortWindu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    you mean like Darth Vader and Luke and the little green guy (i cant remember his name)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.