main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Plugin

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by CarbonKnight, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Ok, why hasn't anyone created a lightsaber effect plugin yet?

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    GIMP has one. I personally never got it to work, but I never really tried.

¤Night

3. CarbonKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    What program does it work for?

4. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    LIA+ has been created for photoshop, but no one rotoscopes true frame by frame in photoshop, they use After Effects' keyframing wonders.

5. Aprentize

Aprentize Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    actually ive never given in to the temptations of keyframing, old and conservative as i am :) i still use photoshop for ALL lightsaber rotowork.

6. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Yeah WD, I still feel more comfortable using Photoshop for sabers.

7. CarbonKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    What is keyframing?

8. Aprentize

Aprentize Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    only alternating certain frames and letting the program do the effects for the frames in between the altered frames, the so called key frames.

9. yodalover

yodalover Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2002
    OK everybody,... I know I'm in the wrong thread to ask this bu I'm kinda in a hurry and I don't have time to look around...
    this question is quite elementary but I can't find the answer so here goes...

Why is Mace Windu's saber a pink/purplish color? Like in the battle arena... all you see is red and blue and out pops maces and it's nothing we've ever seen before....
    I know it's stupid but I gotta know.

10. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Bacause Sam Jackson wanted purple.

On the subject of a saber plug-in. Basically by the time you'd tweak all the glow settings, core settings, transfer modes and color blanacing you'd have basically done it the regular way anyhow. It really wouldn't make things that much easier or save a lot of time.

11. yodalover

yodalover Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2002
    sorry to but back in,... but on the "Mace-lightsaber" topic, isn't there a star wars reason behind the color... other than Jackson wanting it purple?

Just asking cause you guys seem to know a lot about the saber subject.

12. CarbonKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    only alternating certain frames and letting the program do the effects for the frames in between the altered frames, the so called key frames.

Is this kind of like morphing the shots together like the Matrix's so called interpolation?

13. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    sorry to but back in,... but on the "Mace-lightsaber" topic, isn't there a star wars reason behind the color... other than Jackson wanting it purple?

No. In fact the whole reason was exactly what you said: in the midst of a hundred or two Jedi, he's easy to pick out. He wanted to be able to point himself out to his daughter, as I understand it.

Is this kind of like morphing the shots together like the Matrix's so called interpolation?

...No. It IS interpolation, but it's not really "morphing" in the sense that the term is used in FX.

M. Scott

14. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    He mainly wanted it to show story wise that he is the " second badest person in the universe" and can choose a non traditional color. He most likely had a blue or green saber before his council years. But once one is on the jedi council, you get a new electrum saber. So presumably, he decided to change his color to purple when that happened.

15. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    When doing my rotoing, I use the keyframes but I still have to adjust it to fit almost every frame. There's very few times that I can get away with doing even every other frame due to the complex motions of someone moving with a saber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.