main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Roulette - A Great Sidegame For Bored RPers!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by MoronDude, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I just had to post this awesome game we came up with at our last game. Actually, let me start at the beginning.

At the game before last, I showed a few of my fellow players a drawing I had made some time back, about the rules for Lightsaber Roulette. Pretty much, you have six lightsabers, one of which can activate, and you pick one, place it at your temple, and flip the switch. As the rules go: "If it activates; You lose. If it doesn't; Pick again until you lose." It was an amusing, albeit rather morbid idea. A few of us started a little virtual game, where I'd call a number, like "4", and then we'd roll a d6 and if the number came up, you lost. It was fun, until it was our turn to do something in game.

Anyways, at the last game, we started playing again. A few of us were having so much fun that others around the table joined and we had about 6 people playing. Then, one of the guys rolled a d20, as a joke. We realized that with so many people playing, rolling d20s wouldn't be such a bad idea. Before we would just roll to see who died and then do it over again, but then we added a new rule. When you die, you're out, and we keep going until only one person wins.

Well, that was pretty fun, and so one of the guys puts in 2 of his not-so-good dice and says that whoever wins the next round would get to keep them. So we play another time and someone wins the dice and then just puts them back in the middle. This is when someone has the bright idea that everyone should put in one die, so the winner will get about 6 or 7 dice. Well, that was fun, and people still had a lot of dice they'd be willing to put up, so we kept going. Then we added a new rule. Since the odds of getting the activated lightsaber was only 1 in 20, we decided to add another number every time one person was eliminated. This made the game even more challenging, and even more fun!

So now everyone is playing, even in GM! The GM says that everyone should put in one of their BEST dice... so we're not just passing around a bunch of crappy ones. He puts in his huge d20! So everyone else puts in their pride and joys. Now everyone wants to win, so we make up another rule! If you get eliminated, you can buy back into the game for 2 more dice. Then, if you are eliminated again, you can buy in again for 4 dice. After 2 buy in's, you cannot buy in anymore. Everyone liked that. So we start playing. Everyone's standing up, rolling their dice. Everyone who got eliminated bought back in! There was a pot of probably 50 dice by the end... we went up to 11 out of 20 activatable lightsabers. And finally, our beloved GM took the whole pot!

At the end of it, 2 people had no dice to their names... in fact they were in debt to others for dice. And even after that last fantastic game... there was still people who wanted to keep on playing, but the GM figured it was about time to get back to the RPG.

A lot of the guys said they were going to go out and buy tons of dice to get ready for this week's game of Lightsaber Roulette!

-----
    So, rules for Lightsaber Roulette.

Choose someone to be dealer... they can also play, but must keep their roll separate from the death rolls.

Everyone puts in one die as the ante.

The dealer rolls 1d20 as the "Death Roll"

Everyone else rolls 1d20.

Anyone with the same number as the dealer is eliminated.

Each round where one person is eliminated, the dealer adds one die to the Death Roll.

If a player is eliminated, they can buy back in for 2 dice. They must buy back in before the start of the next round or they lose the chance to buy in for that game. If they are eliminated a second time, they may buy in again for 4 dice. You cannot buy in a third time.

The last person alive wins the pot.

If all the players are eliminated in a single round, and none of them can buy back in, replay the last round until one person wins.
    -----

If you try this at your game, post here and tell about your experience!

2. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Let me just be the first to say that Lightsaber Roulette is a great idea for a game!!!

Of course, I am the GM that won all the dice at the end, so maybe I am biased.

UNOFFICIAL RULE: Call it a suggestion, but at the end of our playing for 'good' dice, I did tip the dealer (MoronDude) with a really cool giant 20 sider. Hey, this is Southern Nevada, after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.