main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

lightsaber sound help

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by LUKES_PADAWAN, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUKES_PADAWAN

LUKES_PADAWAN Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    I've been hearing that you can take out the sound chip from the force fx saber and install it into a parks saber.

Is that possible?

Also, if it is, could you do it with a hasbro saber(I haven't much money)

2. Zennoa

Zennoa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I know for a fact you can do it out of a Hasbro saber, though I don't know enough about the wiring of Parks sabers to tell you anymore than that.

But basically you'd take (break) the Hasbro saber apart. If you just want sound all you need is the rectangular board. If you want impact sensing you want both. But bear in mind that Hasbro sabers are wider than your real scale sabers. When I did mine the sound module didn't fit and I had to try to Dremel it down. I ended up going too far and broke several PC board traces.

It's theoretically possible to put anything into something else. You might consider my thread about Saber Control Module with Sound (same page as your thread) where I'll be creating custom control boards with custom sound chips in them. I've even been trying to work out a way to have the sound chip alone without a microcontroller but I'm not quite there yet (and still have swing/clash/power up/power down sounds).

3. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    There isn't enough room inside a Parks Saber to put a Hasbro toy saber sound board in it.

I don't know how big the sound chip for an MR saber is.

Then there is the problem of letting the sound out. You'd have to drill holes or make some kind of grating for it, if you could even find a speaker that would fit. You'd probably have to make up a new pommel that could house it.

4. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    If a Hasbro board won't fit in a parks saber, then the sound module out of an MRFX saber won't fit either since they are about the same size.

5. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Ok. A 9V battery will barely fit inside some of the Parks hilt styles.

6. LUKES_PADAWAN

LUKES_PADAWAN Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    Is the Hasbro sound as good as the MR sound?

7. DERTHH_MAWLZ

DERTHH_MAWLZ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2005
    I think the MRs sound more realistic, but the Hasbros are usually sufficient. The key is having some room in the hilt for the sound to reverberate and of course, having somewhere for the sound to come out properly. This could be a good study in sound dynamics and acoustics for someone...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.