main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, GA Lightsaber sparring partner?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lightsabremaster, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightsabremaster

Lightsabremaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Hi Guys, Im the columbus area, Im a star wars fan, but my main interest is the choreography part.
    I have been a Martial artist for most of my life, in fact I used to be a instructor, but when ya grow up you have to get a "real" job.
    Anyway, sword was always my thing, and I have training background i several sword arts, but i have recently become rather fascinated with lightsaber combat and I have ordered some Fibre tubes from the new zealand company that supplied them to Lucasfilm for Ep3. I have a friend of mine that is going to be making some ultra lightweight aluminum hilts for them for use as sparring sabers.

Anyone interested in starting a "Lightsaber guild?"

2. Cosmic_Knight

Cosmic_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    Greetings Lightsabremaster,

Welcome to the Columbus forum. As you can probably tell, the local group is rather hit-and-miss about posting here. I'm not sure what you mean by a "Lightsaber Guild", but I am intrigued, and maybe others in our local group will be, too. You are certainly welcome to attend one of our meetings to meet the local group and tell us about it. [Not quite sure when the next one will be (November 21?), but maybe someone else will chime in with that info (hint, hint). Some of us are getting together for a Cottonmouths game next Saturday, and I believe there is another topic about this]. If you want to discuss outside the forum, send me a private message and we can swap e-mail addresses.

Again, welcome!

3. Dengarfan

Dengarfan Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2004
    count me in. I live in Phenix City. Drop me an email if you are serious.

heath@justinhero.com

4. Lightsabremaster

Oct 12, 2004
    actually I will be hosting a Cutting party at my house on Nov 21st during the day.
    I am a member of www.swordforum.com , a online community that studies and practics swords and their arts.
    I typically host 2 or 3 cutting parties a year were folks from all over the south east come. Usually the atlanta area, a few folks from the birmingham area. my last party a sword smith drove all the way to texas to come and brought with him over 100 swords.
    head over to www.swordforum.com and there is a actived thread in the general forum about my upcoming cutting party.

I have also invited a friend from the atlanta area that makes custom lightsabers! He makes machined aluminum sabers with LED blades, sound modules ect. He will be bringing a few of this works with him so us real sword guys can play with "real" lightsabers......

heres the info on the party http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42517&highlight=cutting+party

The lightsaber maker and I are also working on making some "stunt" hilts that will hold carbon fiber tubes for sparring. I doubt we will have any ready by the party, but for future parties we may have these if anyone wants to do some sparring. For the sake of this party i do have my trusty bamboo shinai swords if anyone wants to spar a bit.

5. Cosmic_Knight

Cosmic_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    Your "Cutting Party" sounds fascinating. I would love to attend, but I already have other plans that weekend. Keep us informed of future events. Thanks.

6. wookiechick66

wookiechick66 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2002
    I am glad you have some interest. Myself, I would just end up cutting off my own foot. You are more than welcome to join us at anytime for a meeting or an event. Send an email address to gowardogs@yahoo.com and I will get you on our mailing list. (another memeber sends out the emails now, but I will pass it on!)

Nov and Dec are hard times to get together for a meeting but it would normally be the third Sunday each month at 2:30 at the Books A Million on Macon Rd.

Welcome to our little group.

Wookie Chick 66

7. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    Howdy!!

(Shame on me...I've been off-line for awhile and send all the meeting e-mails from work.)

Glad your interested. We'd love to have you attend our next meeting. We are going to meet at the Bowling Alley on Bradley Park on Jan. 16th (day before MLK) at 3pm. I do need a head count to be able to reserve enough lanes for everyone. Currently I've only ordered 2 - allowing for 12 bowlers.

We are also discussing meeting another day in January to trade (cards, comics, whatever). It will be an all types of collectable trading event, not just Star Wars.

Hope to see you!
    Hollie

ps...Feel free to e-mail me at work, just make a referance to who you are in the subject line or I'm liable to delete your note before I read it. hbundy@acomnetworks.net

8. MotF

MotF Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Gosh,

I really did miss this topic! A Lightsaber Guild is a great idea. We had a sword guild in the SCA & assuming it is going to be similar.

Of course, we need a costumer's guild! Not everyone sews or wants to mess with the sewing. I love to sew and we need sewing workshops. Finding a central place is the key.

Wonder if one of the high schools would let us theirs. Do high schools still have HomEC?

Cathy

9. Jeebakin

Jeebakin Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    OMG!! This is awesome!!! I had this flyer from the Fountain City Force.Net fan club that I got from one of the Columbus Game & Hobby Expos thats been laying by my bed for a few months now. I was looking at this morning as I was waking up and decided to actually check it out. Found this forum. and now found a guy that knows about swordfightin and knows a guy that can make sabers! See, me and a friend of mine are trying to work out a fan film and get our money and resources together to make one. We want to have an intense lightsaber battle at the end of the film. Also, my wife wants a saber just to have, but me and my friend need them for our film.

So, Lightsabremaster, if you get this...count me in!

my email addy is: aragornwanabe@gmail.com

10. Jeebakin

Jeebakin Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    yeah, sewing workshops would be great! my wife and I have been into costuming since dragoncon 2003. but since we dont know how to sew, we ended up buying our costumes (well, i made my chainmail). We were in the parade with the Lord of the Rings section last DC.

11. Lightsabremaster

Oct 12, 2004
    yeh im one of these hardcore jedi fighters!

http://petridish.net/pics/12000/Pimp1.jpg

12. Lightsabremaster

Oct 12, 2004
    well my guy that does the aluminum saber hilts is sorta no longer doign them, BUT i found a guy that does RESIN saber hilts and hes going to be molding some of my carbon fiber stunt blades on his hilts so you will have a accurate stunt saber. Him and I are looking to sell those around $100 or so.......
    so far we have
    ANH graflex
    ROTS anakin
    ANH obiwan
    TPM obiwan
    ROTS obiwan
    Yoda
    Dooku
    Mace windu

we are working on having a resin darth maul too

13. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    There's a guy in our group - Drew - that's been working on a fan film for awhile. He's big into costuming. He has lots of models that he has filmed as well as an 8 foot IG88. I hope you guys can make it to the premier and hook up with our group for some discussion.

14. Jeebakin

Jeebakin Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    i'd actually like to join the fan club. i sent an email to cathy bowden's email this morning. (her email was the first one listed on the flyer i got). me and my wife were going to come to that meetin on the 15th (i think that that is when it is at BAM to make ourselves known). and we will be at the 1205 showing or Ep3. but we wont be in costume cause we havent made any yet, just be wearin star wars tee's we got from hot topic.

15. Jeebakin

Jeebakin Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    LSM - what do the fiber blades look like? do you have a link to the place to get them cause i'm curious as to what they look like. $100 is a good price for the sabers, i may have to get a ROTS Anakin from ya. Also, would like a darth maul too, if or when you guys get it finished. and have to ask my wife what she would want

16. wookieefanPJM

wookieefanPJM Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    hey y'all check out the may meet thread for info on joining the club you just need to chat w/ Pheonix.

17. Jeebakin

Jeebakin Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    lightsabremaster - my friend that is doing the fan film with me wants to go ahead and start testin stuff out, like making lightsaber effects in adobe after effects. so he wants us to do a test fight soon, just a simple fight to start learning how to make it work until we get more advanced with cgi and such. so i want to go ahead and get some of those sabers from you. would like to get some by next weekend if possible (on friday, i should be getting some of my bonus for re-enlisting in the army). send me an email to aragornwanabe@gmail.com so we can discuss this further. thanks!

18. Darth_Decol

Darth_Decol Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2002
    Adobe is pretty easy to do it with.

1) Record
    2) Upload it to PC and open imageready adobe.
    3) slam the video in it and click and save each layer into a folder.
    4)Edit all the saber shots with light effects.
    5) uplaod them all into videomach 3.5 or vegas 5.0.

Could do it other ways but it's the best looking way I have found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.