main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Test Movies (+ more!)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by zimba, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimba

zimba Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    Howdy all,

This is clearly my first post on these boards, but not my first time here at all. I have been lurking around here for a long time, and just now needed to post! (That is how informative these boards are)

I am quite new to filmmaking, a true padawan, and are jsut now learning the basic with a amateur Sony Digital8 DCR-TRV210E video camcorder. The quality is adequate, turning towards bad. I am saving for a Canon (or any other camcorder) in the semi-pro area. I am looking for a price tag (used, cant afford new) at most 1000$. Is the GL1 that Ryan use(d) good? Can I get a good camcorder for that price used, if so, where is the best place? I am in Europe (Denmark).

I just recently did a film project with a couple of friends, not sure I will put it up here, as it has nothing to do with Star Wars really, it was a school project. But we did have a lightsaber battle in there, for the parody, and it was my first time doing it (ergo --> many errors), and I have learned a lot! I want to improve my techiques, by experimenting with some test movies, and I remember some boards that had links to some Episode 1/2 test movies, where you could roto the sabers on to, if anyone could point me to the movies, I'd be thrilled!

Another thing, can anyone poitn me to a good cloning tutorial, I have seen one or two, but I want to know the alternatives :)

I am sure that I have more to ask about, in that case I will either edit my post, or make a reply.

EDIT1: Oh, what is the best codec, and settings to use when importing and exporting DV? I always end up with either too high or too low filesizes.

Thank you for a wonderful place to hang out!

2. zimba

Oct 9, 2003
    Just bumping this is case someone haven't seen it.

No replies?

3. agfstyrer

agfstyrer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2003
    YO BRING ON THE DANES!!!!

kører det for dig

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    My GL-1 cost me about 2k when I bought it with accessories a few years ago. I'm not sure what they go for these days, but ptobably cost more than 1k.

Well, there aren't many different ways to do cloning effects. If you understand how masks work, you've pretty much got it down. If you haven't seen Durbnpoisn's tutorial on it, you probably should. There's a link in his sig or in my tutorials section (link in MY sig)

When capturing and working with DV you should be using the DV codec. (suprise!) Preferably at 100%. The files can get big sometimes, but that's the life you chose when you decided to edit. RvD, which is about 5 minutes long at 720x480 29.97 FPS, 100% quality DV is about a gigabyte, just to give you an idea.

5. agfstyrer

Aug 17, 2003
    hey ryan what do you mean blue lightsabers never win...... YOUR OWN CREATION

"ALD"

6. Maniacal_Jedi

Maniacal_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    I know what videos your talking about, I have a few with me if you cant seem to find a link. Just drop me PM and i'll see what I can do.

7. AnakinGuy

AnakinGuy Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    I have only played with a few different codecs, but other than uncompressed, (very huge,) All I can say is Gung-Ho Ryan, Dv is the best all around codec, unless you have a terrabyte hard drive... anyway, the dv codec at 100% renders, give or take a minute, 20 minutes to 4 gigs. that is the scale I go off of, and it seems to work pretty well. Please remember, I'm still learning...

---Ranger---

8. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Weird. I've always captured and worked with DV at 100% and it's been manageable.

hey ryan what do you mean blue lightsabers never win...... YOUR OWN CREATION

"ALD"

Didn't you see? Obi-Wan there was about to loose. :D The green lightsaber won.

9. agfstyrer

Aug 17, 2003
    hmm let me think ryan.....
    AHA duel of the fakes

*EDIT* oh thats a red one.......... geez let me think.

i need to look around

*EDIT* oh yeah i got it.....

STAR GUYS TRAINING!!

10. zimba

Oct 9, 2003
    Thanks for your replies!

Ryan: Thanks for your answers, I've tried Durbs tuts now, and it worked, thanks man! Also, I love your lightsaber tutorials, and I think your work is great. Really good job. Are you planning on doing more tutorials some day?

Manical Jedi: I can't send you a PM right now sorry, but you can E-mail me at gustav.lassen@adr.dk.

AGFstyrer: De styrer ikke, det gør FCK :p Hejsa!

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Nah, don't plan to make more tutorials. I think everything I get asked about is pretty much up there.

12. agfstyrer

Aug 17, 2003
    hey jeg vil sige en ting fck stinker GO AGF YEEEAH...

ahem end of my little dainish speek.

hey ryan what is your personal favourite of YOUR own tutorials: the video one (AE)
    or the step by step one

13. FX-Man

FX-Man Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2003
    Ryan,
    get back to work,...Slacker.

-FX

14. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL. Yeah Ryan, these posts are timestamped. You can't slack off here. :p They're always watching.

15. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Man, I need to pay more attention in these threads... Normally I jump right in to offer up the tutorials!

Thanks for the plugs, guys.

And, I'm glad to hear they were helpfull to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.