main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO Lightsaber test...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Okay, rather than post this in the FanFilms forum where I would certainly exceed my bandwidth faster than the Millenium Falcon can make the Kessel run, I thought I would post this more locally and drive some traffic to this board.

No sound, and I used the Hidden Phantom - MSP Glow Tutorial method with a few minor tweaks. This method (if you use MSP) is so much faster than Clay Kronke's (sp?) way, and IMHO looks a lot better.

Let me know what you think.

clickie
    (anyone know how to get the links to popup in a new window?)

Next I need to try this method with two sabers...

2. Gallith

Gallith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Very good! I have a suggestion though.

In the above picture, it seems you have two different glows (The outer dark blue, and the inner light blue). If you do, try making the inner a darker blue and bigger, then the outer lighter.
    So, make the colors meet in the middle so they are the same, then make the more opaque glow (inner) bigger. Enough of my babbling. Take a look:

I used the photoshop method, but I'm sure you can do it too...

EDIT: broken links removed

3. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Galith, your pics don't show up.
    I did notice that problem, but don't know how to change it. It has a lot to do with a light and dark background. My shirt is black and so the glow shows more distinctly. The white wall doesn't show it so well.
    I don't paint the glow. It is a video filter effect (several actually). I just don't think I have any way to change it. I messed with it for at least an hour and couldn't get it any different.
    I do think that I need to soft edge the white core a little more as well.

4. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    If you are having any difficulty with the link try a right-click-save-as or try hitting it directly at http://www.stoneartgallery.com/Movies/test.mov

I am a professional software developer and actually PAY for my hosting and am nowhere near my bandwidth so everyone should be able to enjoy!

5. Rogue428

Rogue428 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, you'll probably get a million critiques based on folks opinions. I thought it looked pretty good. The blue glow was a bit dark for my taste...but like I said...that's just a matter of opinion. Looks good though.... And I agree with you that Clay's method takes forever.

6. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    possibly more to come in this area! stay tuned ;)

7. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    That was great!!!!! :D

8. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Well, my cousin is taking to long to review the new one so I'll post it without his consent...

Remember, right-click, save as...

1MB On The Beach

Yeah, I should compress it more. It really shouldn't be that large for a whopping 3 1/2 seconds! But it is an exciting 3 seconds!

Let me know what you think...

I use PadawanNick's methods (with some variations) using Media Studio Pro. They are not as great as the AE sabers, but for $500 less I'm very content!

This one was shot on the beach in Oregon while on vacation. I'm the clothed one :D

Won't my cous flip when he finds out I put his naked torso on the web [face_devil]

9. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I think the rotoscoping looks great, but like I said before, I'm a fan of the Ryan W style glow. It looks good on the distance shot, but maybe making it a little bigger close up would be cool. Of course yours looks more canon, so if you wanna keep it that way, that's cool too :D

For ours, I don't care what the glow looks like, so long as the rotoscoping is decent our choreography should be the deciding factor ;)

10. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    The problem with the MSP method is that you just CAN'T get a dark color on the blue saber on a light background. I just can't find a way around it. I'll PM Nick and ask him about it.

11. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    No, I thought the color was good, just thought the closeup glow could have been wider or feathered out a little more.

12. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    ONce again... awesome work!

But I just like the pretty lights ;)

13. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    dude , thats cool . i want a glowing lightsaber !

14. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    [used car salesman voice]
    You too can have a glowing lightsaber! For only ten easy payments of $2499! It ignites, it turns off, it has flashy LED's! It comes with it's own belt clip and complete Jedi costume! You can be the envy of everyone on your block as you trim your hedges, fend off intruders, and chop the neighbor's dog in half with your brand new lightsaber! Order Now! Operators are standing by.
    [/used car salesman voice]
    [disclaimer voice]
    Not for use by children under the age of three or people who are not training to become or already are Jedi. Not responsible for lost limbs, dead dogs, or death. Twenty four ninenty nine equals two thousand four hundered and ninety nine dollars times ten payments. Major credit card required, WAC, 100% down. Batteries not included.
    [\disclaimer voice]

15. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] ROTFLMMFAO! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

16. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Having no experience whatsoever in this medium of video technology, I have to say that I thought it was sweet.

Screw the critics out there. All the clips looked awesome!

17. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Thanks, SS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.