main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsaber Throw

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lorn_zahl, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARC170pilot

ARC170pilot Jedi Master star 5

Sep 23, 2005
    The Jedi use their lightsaber for defense only and throwing it would be to aggresive

2. Ramses85

Ramses85 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    It would only be used for certain moments. If you threw it not only would you be defenseless, it also doesn't boomerang like on Tron. Your focus would have to shift from fighting to lightsabre retrieval.

3. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    The reason Jedi in the movies don't throw their lightsabers around is because it's their ONLY means of defense against blasters.

Yoda and Vader are exceptions for 2 reasons:

1. Yoda is extremeley fast and a Master of precision.
    2. Vader threw his lightsaber after Luke deactived his own saber.

Never have we seen a Jedi throwing his lightsaber around in the middle of a fight because it isn't practical. Being defenseless for a second can cost you your life; The Jedi and Sith both know this.

Also, if you're in a duel and decide to throw your lightsaber for a cheap shot victory, the odds of your opponent stopping it with the Force are pretty high and you are then left without a weapon.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Let's not forget that generally, Jedi would be fighting against enemies armed with laser blasters - you probably wouldn't want to be without your prime defensive tool, even for a few seconds.

Particularly if one wasn't a Jedi Master.

And if you were facing a Force-sensitive foe, they might be able to snatch your saber out of the air.

Anyway, IIRC, in the Making of ROTS, Lucas was very hesitant to include the scene with Yoda chucking his saber into the Clormtrooper's chest, because he thought it might be a little too violent for SW.

Fortunately, the ILM employees were all really pushing for it, because it's a kickass scene. :D

5. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Those are all very reasonable explanations and I feel better about this now.

It is impractible in both duels and combat.

Thanks

6. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Let's not forget that generally, Jedi would be fighting against enemies armed with laser blasters

Your comment has just sparked an interesting question in me head:
    If Yoda can deflect force lightning from a Sith and a Sith Lord,
    why can't he deflect measly blaster shots, ala Vader's deflection
    of Han's blaster in ESB?

7. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002

Well thats probably a question for another thread though I find it hard to believe that Yoda couldn't do it. Vader had to do it because he was sitting down at the dinner table.

I'd suggest posting that in the Saga forum. Quick before someone else does! :p

8. Toughie

Toughie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    didn't dooku throw his lightsaber with his fight with yoda? but he obviously missed.

9. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002

Ya know someone said the same thing on the last page, still haven't gotten around to slow-mowing the scene and I won't be able to now either! :_|

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Did we ever get a comprehensive answer as to whether Vader deflected the laser bolts because of the Force or because of his gauntlet?

I always thought it deflected off his robotic hand, but that's just me.

Even if possible, I doubt anyone either than Yoda and maybe a couple of others could do it.

11. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002
    I would assume its because of the force because Luke's lightsaber seemed to cut nicely through it, though that was his wrist.

I wondered this too but in ROTS Anakin chokes Padme with his robotic hand so he can obviously use the hand as a conduit. I'm think it was the force and if Anakin/Vader can do it, you can bet Yoda can too.

(he has been known to block lightning with his bare hands)

12. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 5, 2004
    In the cartoons they Anakin controls the Asajj's sword with the Force, Windu calls it with the Force when he starts fighting Yoda side-by-side. But in the movies they throw the saber and call it back. Not like in the ROTS trailer when Anakin does the circle throw-and-catch at the same time.

Why not the game move in the movies?
    Maybe the ILM couldn't catch it up.
    Lucas didn't like it in HIS movie.

Oh, and I believe Vader threw his saber at Luke in ROTJ because he was afraid of fighting an opponent who has the higher ground after the Mustafar experience. He did, after all, like the suit clean. Or maybe to display his mastery, given how the ROTS idea never existed back in the 80s.

13. Mr_Fantastic

Aug 5, 2004
    Why Vader blocked bullets and Yoda didn't?

Maybe Yoda was not familiar with the Force Redirection power.

And maybe it was coz Vader had a mechanical arm lol.

One can only guess.

14. Mr_Fantastic

Aug 5, 2004
    Garth's got a point; if it was a Force power, others should be able to do it. But they haven't. Perhaps they were familiar with the technique but decided against it?
    This is wild guess now.

15. Mr_Fantastic

Aug 5, 2004
    Given Garth's comment on how ILM boys were pushing for the saber throw, I believe that the movie has offered a different way of saber-throw-Yoda's.
    Just like ObiWan506 said.
    Probably the mod I respect most of all.

16. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002
    Doesn't Obi-Wan absorb one of Jango's blaster bolts shortly before kicking him off the landing platform?

I heard that he didn't though if my eyes don't mistake me, he does.

17. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    I dont think he does, but I can check it out later for ya.

18. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002

It sure does look like it, last time I checked it goes right into his hand. If you can prove me wrong I wouldn't mind though I think Anakin probably learned this trick from old Obi.

19. jedimasterinu

jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    I dont think it went to his hand, but to the side of it. But it is possible for Jedi/Sith to do this, Knights of the Old Republic 2 is proof enough.

20. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    i don't think saber throws are very effective as another saber-wielder could just block it or cut the hilt apart. besides, the jedi are supposed to be more peaceful and elegant. throwing a saber is not elegant. vader is a sith, thus elegance has escaped him. i assume darth maul didn't use it because he was constantly face to face with either qui-gon or obi-wan and had neither space nor time. palpatine and dooku don't use saber throw because they have force lightning. the only reason i think yoda used might have been because he was angry about order 66 and the clones turning, thus tapped into the darkside and became more aggressive to overcome his many attackers.

21. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002

Really? I stayed trailer free so I haven't even seen one. Can someone cash in on this and/or provide a clip?

That could be the case though whenever I see it the blast disapears into his hand. Also, just because its in Knights of the Old Republic doesn't mean its canon though it certainly is up to interpretation. ;)

22. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    This always baffled me, it looks pretty clear that he absorbed it with his hand.
    Anakin learning the move from Obi-Wan is a funny idea, but I doubt it.

Your observation adds weight to the theory that it involves the force, because Obi-Wan doesn't have a metal hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.