main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lightsaber Toss?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by QuiWanKenJin, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    As much as i hate TLJ, i'm forced to admit this moment was just brillant. It's primary function is not to be a joke, it is first and foremost a storytelling moment. In one split second, it tells you everything you need to know about Luke and his state of mind. Namely :

"This is not the reverant and fresh Jedi Knight you once knew.
    This is a grizzled, much older guy.
    This is Luke motherf***ing Skywalker, Jedi Master.
    He is the most powerful guy in the galaxy, and he knows it !
    And he doesn't give a damn.
    What are you gonna do about it, kiddo ?"

This toss is just the pefect way to express all of that. Also, there is just so much of Yoda in that throw : the parallel is just too good.
    (just imagine watching SW for the first time in numerical order : how would you feel about Yoda's first appearance in ESB ?)

And NO, you don't get the same effect at all if Luke "respectully" depose the saber at his feet or anything like that.

Now what i really can't wrap my head around is how that scene and the parking infraction were written by the same guy : that is just beyond me....

2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Rey holds out the saber to Luke for an incredibly long time. Luke looks at it and at her. He doesn't reach for his former weapon. His head lowered, he walks right past Rey, and in a gruff voice says simply: "Go away."

Rey is dumbfounded, frozen in disbelief as she lowers her arm and looks over her shoulder at the broken old man she expected to be a hero...

That's how this should have played out.

3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    luke chucking his saber in ROTJ had a totally different meaning. He disarmed and confirmed to the emperor that he failed and would never turn to the darkside. It was the culmination of his heroic arc in the OT.

In TLJ, it felt like a lame way for RJ to get out of actually writing the character. JJ set up this big dramatic moment yet when its time to actually write the dialog, RJ goes for goofs and "Lawls we didn't expect that so its brilliant!". He'd duck having to write luke later on when he cut to a different scene when luke finally asks about Han. I can't imagine a writer not salivating at the chance to write a scene where luke has to come to grips with his father's lightsaber being offered to him by some strange gal. Its all real weird to me.

Plus i'll be nobody would've mistook it for a jokey joke scene, but RJ doesn't want to write until he wants to write.

4. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    You know, the fact that Mark Hamill himself didn't like where he took Luke's character should've been warning enough for me, I was just giving RJ the benefit of the doubt. Never again.

Mark Hamill, on the other hand has proven himself to be an actor who seems to get what his viewers want. I heard he actually wanted to postpone Luke's fate till Ep. IX.

I know I've said this already, but seriously, when I read that RJ was avoiding a timeskip and wanted to see how Luke/Rey's encounter went I was so pissed, but then eventually I thought he'd actually come up with something that would've been for the book. Instead we get a shoulder chuck and alien milk....God, in hindsight, what RJ did with Luke just seems criminal to me.

@MoffJacob
    Yeah, that bit with Hux/Poe was funny at first now I just have to look away from secondhand embarrassment.

xezene and cut-of-space like this.
  5. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    My feelings exactly

xezene and MasterPrince713 like this.
  6. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    ... Which has nothing to do with the fact that another guaranteed paycheck would be involved...

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    A pay check is still involved if Luke is a Force Ghost in IX, as well.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  8. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    This is how he was establishing each subplot at the beginning of the movie. He wasn't "ducking" having to write.

Finn - "Where's Rey"
    *Jumps to scene with Rey and Luke*

Luke - "Where's Han"
    *Jumps to scene with Kylo and Snoke*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    The shot on luke's face makes it clear that moment wasn't lost on rian. He cut away from what should've been a very dramatic scene. However, such a scene what shine a bright light on the way luke was being handled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.